Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 22:32   #1786
BHPian

KHT Prime, Bangalore commenced deliveries today. Pic from their Facebook page. Congrats to the new owners, any lucky BHPians in there?
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1502298105501.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 07:39   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
I am also in the same dilemma. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
I'm planning to book a Compass 4×4 Diesel. I need some help from here. The price difference between the Limited and Limited(O) is a hefty 85000 to a lakh. Paying 85000 just for the black roof and HID lamps is just was too expensive I feel. If I go for the limited variant can I swap the halogen bulbs with the Xenon bulbs on the same projector setup as this seems to be a more VFM option. Please help me guys.
I'm no expert but I don't think you'll get factory spares for a retrofit. There's a reason why they need to space variants and their features. Even if your dealer says, it's possible, take it with a bucket load of salt. Maybe two. The dealer is looking for a sale now and will not be bothered about what he committed two months down the line. He'll just blame company policy later. If you think of going the aftermarket way, be assured that you'll lose your warranty. Not worth it.

If money is not a big object, go in for the higher Limited (O). If not, stick to the Limited. Please don't think of having your cake full after eating it too.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 09:06   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I'm no expert but I don't think you'll get factory spares for a retrofit.
But will not Mopar soon have spares of the Compass HIDs if only to serve the Limited(o) variants? Logic dictates that it should be a straight fix... Remove the halogens and screw in the Bi xenons.

I may be wrong and may have to continue with the Halogens if such a straight fix is not possible. But 85000-90000 for just the HIDs and a roof job that can well be done within 3000 to 5000 is a little too much. Limited, I guess is the best way to go.

Attaching the the price list for Coimbatore. The accessories are mentioned under add-ons. So the dealers who are saying that they are Compulsory purchases are clearly taking potential customers for a ride. I guess these price lists can be used to raise a issue.

Also from the looks of the Mumbai Price lists, The Delhi, the Bangalore, Coimbatore and Thiruchi price lists, the difference in prices between these cities for a particular variant differs by a few thousands, indicative of the transportation charges for that state, as the Mumbai prices are even cheaper than the Delhi price
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170805_093401.jpg  

Old 10th August 2017, 09:10   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Are the 6 airbags only a feature of the top 4x4 variant or are there lower ones having these as well? Carwale says that they are available down below but other sources seem to suggest otherwise.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:01   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Are the 6 airbags only a feature of the top 4x4 variant or are there lower ones having these as well? Carwale says that they are available down below but other sources seem to suggest otherwise.

6 airbags are available on the Limited 4*4 and the Limited(O) 4*4. No other variant gets the 6 airbags.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:12   #1791
jpm
BHPian

I got sms from the Chennai Jeep Dealer that prices maybe corrected upwards by 10% due to upcoming Cess on GST from 10/09/2017 and hence asking me to book in advance.

Dont know where he got that date.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:22   #1792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
I got sms from the Chennai Jeep Dealer that prices maybe corrected upwards by 10% due to upcoming Cess on GST from 10/09/2017 and hence asking me to book in advance.

Dont know where he got that date.
That is the date of the next GST council meeting and it is very likely that this may happen. If this cess becomes applicable almost all cars will see a hike in price to the tune of 7-10%.
If the price increases for the Compass the initial euphoria of a good price may quickly wane as even that 2 lacs will make a huge impact.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:50   #1793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If the price increases for the Compass the initial euphoria of a good price may quickly wane as even that 2 lacs will make a huge impact.
Doubtful, as every car competing car will see a proportional price increase. For example - If Compass gets a 2L increase in price for the top end, Tucson will get better 2.5L and Tiguan 3L and so forth. The gap will only widen even further.

Hexa and XUV 5OO could benefit slightly, the latter more so.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:22   #1794
BHPian

I saw the Compass for the first time in the flesh today.
It was parked next to a Vitara Brezza. The Compass is a size larger than the Brezza but not by a lot. It has got slightly more presence than the Brezza too. The Compass looked great in the white shade it had on. Speaking of size, I think the Tiguan is larger than the Compass.

The interiors were clearly a segment above. They looked luxurious and had a sense of elegance to them.

I expect to see a lot of Compasses on the road. People who want to upgrade from a EcoSport/Brezza but don't want to the full hog to Fortuner/Endeavour.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:38   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Why would one prefer a Compass over a Hexa? Apples to Apples the latter would be 4-5 lakhs cheaper, with more interior space for both people and luggage.

As to after sales, both are a gamble of sorts.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:44   #1796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Doubtful, as every car competing car will see a proportional price increase. For example - If Compass gets a 2L increase in price for the top end, Tucson will get better 2.5L and Tiguan 3L and so forth. The gap will only widen even further.

Hexa and XUV 5OO could benefit slightly, the latter more so.
Absolutely agree. The absolute number of the ex-showroom price goes up, but all competition also goes up. FCA may try and absorb some of it to make it even more appealing compared to the competition with increased prices.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:54   #1797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Why would one prefer a Compass over a Hexa? Apples to Apples the latter would be 4-5 lakhs cheaper, with more interior space for both people and luggage.

As to after sales, both are a gamble of sorts.
Agreed. The target audience is entirely different, both cars are designed to cater to different consumers.

However, the typical Indian consumer looking to buy a car in the 18-24 lakh range will invariably list out all the options available, in order to make an informed decision.. which is why you will find people shortlisting cars like the Octavia, since it falls squarely within the 18-24 lakh budget.
Old 10th August 2017, 13:11   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Does it not make more sense to compare a Hexa v Compass, as compared to Octavia v Compass?! It isn't the price point, but the car capability that should be the criteria, surely.
Old 10th August 2017, 13:31   #1799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Does it not make more sense to compare a Hexa v Compass, as compared to Octavia v Compass?! It isn't the price point, but the car capability that should be the criteria, surely.
For someone looking at more space and maximum value, while not compromising on the build quality and even AWD abilities - Hexa wins hands down. Whereas Compass is way ahead in terms of the premium feel, engines, safety specs etc on the lower variants as well. But this section of AWD customers would constitute a very small percent of the overall market.

For most of the market considering the Hexa or even Compass or XUV- it's the automatic variants and the 2WD variants that sell - where the Hexa is just an MPV, XUV is aggressive (may be overstyled full size SUV and Compass is a small premium SUV). They would not care about the AWD capabilities that matter for these to qualify as an SUV, but go purely based on the looks. Those customers wouldn't look at cross shopping with the Compass against a Hexa, which is more of a premium four seater. Due to the sheer looks alone, XUV 5OO presents itself as a lot more relevant competition to the Compass as compared to the Hexa.

Similarly for the Octavia - the comparisons arise due to the fact that the pricing falls in the same ballpark whereas traditionally, the SUVs always commanded a premium with very less features. That said, for someone looking at features and space - Octavia would win hands down. But Compass just brought the bar closer to the Octavia as compared to the likes of its stablemate Tiguan which even gets lower spec engines for a much higher price.

Each product has their own merits and demerits. As far as the market is concerned, I feel it's the segment where Compass is placed which will grow faster as compared to other two.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:43   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Are you therefore suggesting that the price of the car is what determines the segment it is placed in?

Speaking for myself, I would first decide what I want from a car and then look for cars in my budget that can do that to compare against each other. I would never be in a Octavia or Compass argument in my head, because they are meant for different uses.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks