Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2017, 17:04   #1831
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Its not only build quality, the overall package including the way it looks, quality levels, driving dynamics and most importantly the engine collectively working in favor of Compass.

True but in this case we must not forget the heart Compass has under its hood- 2.0L Multijet II, 173PS at 3750, 350NM at 1750-2500 rpm.
Regarding Driving Dynamics as an offshoot I doubt whether it trumps the Duster in terms of ride quality. The reviews I have read so far have not been glowing regarding its performance on bad roads. Agreed that 2.0 Ltr Multijet, is going to be one torquey beast.

In all fairness the interiors are more or less equal to the Creta , while being a Notch below Tucson. That doesn't negate the fact that Creta is massively overpriced.

So I agree that given the current prices, it's well priced but the market has not seen a correction for a long time and given the taxation on automobiles in India , it's not going to see one in a long time. Also lets not jump the gun, we must remember that Jeeps are not known for their reliability.
Old 11th August 2017, 17:14   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npulyani View Post
Maximum inquiries are for Diesel AT.
I hope Jeep doesn't fumble once the AT variants are released in the future. I am sure that atleast 50% of the buyers in the 20-25 lakh segment would expect an AT and Jeep has to ensure that the diesel AT stays reliable/affordable when launched. No one would want a potentially troublesome AT car at 25 lakhs price with missing side/curtain airbags. In fact, I was so much disappointed with Jeep's decision to skip the side/curtain airbags on its petrol AT variant and decided to cancel my Compass pre-booking.

All that Compass did to me was to push me to go ahead and purchase a Tucson diesel AT with all necessary features and safety equipment at just 10% higher cost.
ece2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 17:55   #1833

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I hope Jeep doesn't fumble once the AT variants are released in the future. I am sure that atleast 50% of the buyers in the 20-25 lakh segment would expect an AT and Jeep has to ensure that the diesel AT stays reliable/affordable when launched. No one would want a potentially troublesome AT car at 25 lakhs price with missing side/curtain airbags. In fact, I was so much disappointed with Jeep's decision to skip the side/curtain airbags on its petrol AT variant and decided to cancel my Compass pre-booking.

All that Compass did to me was to push me to go ahead and purchase a Tucson diesel AT with all necessary features and safety equipment at just 10% higher cost.
I totally agree that the curtain airbags are a big miss but there are people willing to shell out 2 million bucks for a car that's different from those on the roads. Especially in this part of the country, uniqueness plays a big role in people's mindset.

I think Jeep should do it fast in terms of bringing a Compass diesel AT so that they're able to capitalize on the current hype about Compass & the Jeep brand!
Old 11th August 2017, 18:17   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npulyani View Post
I totally agree that the curtain airbags are a big miss but there are people willing to shell out 2 million bucks for a car that's different from those on the roads. Especially in this part of the country, uniqueness plays a big role in people's mindset.

I think Jeep should do it fast in terms of bringing a Compass diesel AT so that they're able to capitalize on the current hype about Compass & the Jeep brand!
I am not sure how well Jeep has tested the DDCT and 9 speed ZF gearboxes in rather harsh Indian city conditions. May be Jeep is still not confident about these gearboxes and is trying to delay their launch as much as possible. With the number of issues reported about the 9 speed ZF gearbox in the past and FCA's poor after sales track record, it is going to be quite a gamble to pick a diesel AT during the first year of its launch. I believe that the same theory holds good for DDCT as well.

With the amount of MT deliveries happening, Compass isn't going to be unique either when its AT version gets launched. If Jeep decides to hike the price after a few months based on Compass's initial success, AT version might lose its marginal price advantage too.

I somehow feel that Jeep compass is a good car for someone looking for a manual transmission and some 4x4 capabilities. People looking for a well built AT SUV expecting a bit of peace of mind ownership should look elsewhere for a year or two.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 11th August 2017 at 18:19.
ece2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 18:22   #1835
BHPian

Looks like Skoda kodiaq pre bookings open, is it worth waiting before booking Jeep? it may start at mid-price range of jeep. any thoughts
Old 11th August 2017, 18:27   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanthosh View Post
Looks like Skoda kodiaq pre bookings open, is it worth waiting before booking Jeep? it may start at mid-price range of jeep. any thoughts
Nope, the Kodiaq will start above 28 lacs ex showroom and go till 35 Lacs ex showroom and this is the expected price before the cess hike. If the cess hike comes into effect, you can add another 10% to these prices. At these prices it would be overpriced and not really a comparable option to the Fortuner or Endy. The price of the Kodiaq will be announced in Q4 (possibly mid Nov) and delivery would begin from Dec/Jan.

I am just hoping that the cess doesn't come into effect soon as it will lead to substantial hike in Compass prices too!

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th August 2017 at 18:36.
Old 11th August 2017, 18:38   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanthosh View Post
The Kodiaq will be close to the Superb in pricing (possibly a couple of lakhs dearer). The Skoda Karoq (which is similar to the Tiguan) could be priced near Jeep Compass. But, looking at Tiguan pricing, I guess we need not expect it to launch at less than 20L ex-showroom (for diesel at least).
Old 12th August 2017, 02:05   #1838
BHPian

I am in the market for a SUV and was checking out the HEXA, and while it does tick all the boxes, I am not able to convince them for good after sales service from TATA.
The XT 4*2 is already a stretch. Planning to check out the COMPASS Sport 2.0 L before taking a decision.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:23   #1839
BHPian

Can anyone visited KHT, Blr stockyard tell me if they are allowing for PDI check? I might need to go there soon.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:39   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Longitude version. Had a chance to see it for sometime, though couldn't drive as it was in for some 3M treatment.
Overall the vehicle felt good and solid. A few things that I felt weren't upto the mark.

Saw this on this seat. Any idea?

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517574.508635.jpg

Felt like this Compass sticker will be out soon. Especially since there is a kink at that point. Already felt that the edges were about to come off.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517610.501026.jpg

The roof beading was already loose. It was moving when touched.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517712.021976.jpg

Have normally seen rubber struts. But this is hard breakable plastic. Not sure if it will take the bonnet pounding.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517776.728721.jpg

Is this to check the AC gas ? Nice touch.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517847.245627.jpg

Felt that the brake and clutch pedals were too close to each other. Especially since the angle out to the center.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517905.767092.jpg

Any reason for painting the bonnet lock a different colour ?

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502517997.007239.jpg

This section of the doorpad on both the driver and passenger sides was loosely fitted. You can feel they whole bit move if you insert your fingers in the gap.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502518052.764051.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 11:56   #1841
BHPian

Went to the Jeep Showroom in Domlur, Bangalore last Sunday.
As someone else mentioned, there was someone right outside to help you park your car and greet you inside. The story inside was something else though. Haven't seen so many people inside a car showroom ever. I mean.. Ever. It was almost like an Expo seeing people queue up outside the drivers door to get inside the car. I too did. The interiors as expected were fantastic. Particularly liked the white leather seats with red stitching. I think it was the Limited Option variant. The fit and finish are top notch and the doors feel sturdy and heavy. We could barely spend about 3 minutes inside by when the queue outside starting bothering.

Seeing the crowd, we thought of postponing the TD for another day. But later on thought of getting it done anyway just to spend some more time with the car. Went up to the helpdesk and they said it would take about an hour. We said ok and used that time to TD the Hexa right next door.

Cut to the Tata Motors showroom. The scene here was completely different. The only other group was there to take delivery of the Tiago. There was only one guy for everything including showing us around the Hexa. He greeted us and excused himself for sometime. In the meantime we checked out the Hexa XM parked inside and were impressed with the overall quality of the product. I, in particular, liked the fabric seats and the design. Inspite of no one inside, we had to wait for a good 15 minutes to get attention again. The salesperson was good and explained the car in details and we said we wanted TD and that took another 15 minutes. Finally the XTA arrived and we were inside. The cabin felt nice though abused a little. The cubby holes on the door felt a little too deep for my liking. Steering positions too wasn't perfect but manageable. Adjustment for reach is definitely recommended. Went around the inner ring road and the car felt damn good. Nothing like any Tata ever before. The gearbox is fine too, not DSG fine, but decent. No turbo lag felt whatsoever and corners well. Minimum body roll for a vehicle this big. Felt good overall.

Coming back to the Compass. By the time we reached back, our vehicle was ready. A red Longitude variant. Diesel Manual. The car felt puny coming in from the Hexa but the cabin feel is something else. Takes off really well but doesn't feel the 170 bhp. The Jetta 140 bhp feels punchier not sure why. The best thing about the manual is the extremely light clutch. It must be some kind of a benchmark for sure. So light that shifting doesn't seem to be a big problem, especially coming from the Vento. The ride quality is pretty decent and th car is definitely a looker, especially in Red.

Have not decided yet. Dad is inclined towards the Hexa. Also we get the top end automatic for the same price as the base Compass. Final verdict probably after Onam.

Last edited by Raneeth : 12th August 2017 at 11:58.
Raneeth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 15:29   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
Went to the Jeep Showroom in Domlur, Bangalore last Sunday.......
Seeing the crowd, we thought of postponing the TD for another day...
Avoid the Jeep Showroom in Domlur for TD on a weekend. I went there last weekend just to check out the Compass but there was a huge crowd, also saw a few customers arguing with the salesperson for on who should be going first for a TD.
Old 12th August 2017, 15:58   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier today i was in Ranjangaon;

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1502533553.734107.jpg

Saw 2 differently camouflaged mules of the Jeep Compass. Probably the Diesel A/T and 1.4 multi air petrol under test.
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 21:14   #1844
BHPian

Booked The limited 4*2 variant optional 2 days back and the waiting time given is 45 days maximum.But if the cess tax is imposed before the delivery I will cancel the booking as I have already stretched enough for this excellent car.Conveyed the same to my sales executive and he promised that he will try his best to expedite the delivery date so that i can escape from the new Cess .Lets see how it goes.

And by the way can we change the Stock multimedia 7 inch screen to the 8 Inch which FCA is exports to other markets.That one inch totally transforms the already premium interiors to the next level (Just my personal opinion).Also if possible will there be any warranty issues??

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 12th August 2017 at 21:18.
lancer_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 21:16   #1845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Saw 2 differently camouflaged mules of the Jeep Compass. Probably the Diesel A/T and 1.4 multi air petrol under test.
Which vehicle console is this? Doesn't look like the Jeep layout.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks