Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2017, 21:20   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which vehicle console is this? Doesn't look like the Jeep layout.
I guess he is pointing out the gps location where he saw the jeeps. Must be his 2017 fortuner or BMW 3 series. Not sure.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 21:25   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which vehicle console is this? Doesn't look like the Jeep layout.

The picture is of my New Fortuner & showing reference of being near to Fiat manufacturing facility @ Ranjangaon, Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I guess he is pointing out the gps location where he saw the jeeps. Must be his 2017 fortuner or BMW 3 series. Not sure.

Thanks, yes its my Fortuner
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 01:08   #1848
BHPian

So, i dropped my wife, kids and in-laws at the airport today morning, sending them off on a vacation and I immediately rushed to Pride Motors, Hyd for a test-drive of the Compass. Took two rounds, one driving and the other in the rear seat - I was totally floored and surprised myself by booking the Sport variant with any color available as long as it is delivered before the presumed price hike in September. As a back-up i will be moving the booking to Linea T-Jet (that was news for me, i thought it was discontinued - it seems its now tuned upto 125PS and restarted production, even got the brochure to confirm it!) if Compass Sport isn't available before September 1st. So either ways i will be driving home a T-Jet or a Multijet II by the end of this month. Now all i need to figure out is how to break this news to the home-minister when she lands in Hyd next week!

During a couple of casual conversations earlier, wifey was adamant that only a Fiat (or Jeep, she said after i told her that Fiat owns the Jeep Brand :P) should replace our first car - Palio Multijet. She just needs the rear seat to be comfortable enough to pull up her legs and relax (thats why i picked T-Jet as our back-up over an Abarth powered hatch) while i grin from ear to ear flooring the car! All i want is the best engine, suspension, safety features (including build-quality) possible within my budget. We don't care about the size of the touch screen or other such cosmetic advantages in the higher variants. Only feature we would be missing on the sport variant is ACC which again i am sure we can live with. And i can always upgrade the tyres/wheels at a later date. Nothing else matters. I have already extended my original budget of 15L by 4L to reach this point though and that is why i am not willing to wait beyond the impending price rise next month!

Also I had a long chat with the dealer, he said there were quite a few cancellations on the Sport and Longitude variants and it seems they had to actually plead with a couple of early customers to take deliveries, so fingers crossed. I think even the dealers are a bit worried about the possible drop in sales after the price revision. Fingers crossed!
paliontile is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 03:10   #1849
BHPian

Went to the Jeep Ahmedabad showroom today and after an excruciating waiting period spent checking out the Sport and Longitude model was convinced for the Sport. The salesman kept insisting on the compulsory accessories package and insurance from the dealer. Might have to approach someone higher up! The biggest downer being a booking now would guarantee a delivery by October by when the cess hike is being passed. Planning to visit again tommorow to discuss about the same.
loveforjeeps93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 09:43   #1850
BHPian

I think we all are jumping the gun here. There are 3 assumptions we are making:

1. The increase in cess will be approved by the government. GST council has currently sent this as a recommendation to the centre. Auto makers are lobbying with government against this move and nothing is decided yet

2. The other assumption we are making is that if approved, the new cess will be applicable from 1st September. GST Council has so far approved the proposal to hike cess on SUVs, mid-sized, large and luxury cars from present 15 per cent to 25 per cent. But they have not yet decided on when to raise the cess. The next meeting is on 8th September hence it could be October or maybe applicable from 1st January 2018

3. We are also assuming that FCA will indeed pass on the increase in cess to all those who have already booked the Compass. I am sure FCA realizes that many bookings for Compass would be from those who have already stretched their budget. They have about 9000 bookings, if they are overwhelmed with these numbers then they will increase the price else they will absorb it
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 09:52   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think we all are jumping the gun here.
3. We are also assuming that FCA will indeed pass on the increase in cess to all those who have already booked the Compass. I am sure FCA realizes that many bookings for Compass would be from those who have already stretched their budget. They have about 9000 bookings, if they are overwhelmed with these numbers then they will increase the price else they will absorb it
On this point I can confirm that they will pass on the cess entirely to the buyer as my car is ready for delivery (I had made a booking on 20th June) and I am arranging the Company lease. FCA has said that the cess as and when applicable will be payable by the buyer and Clix our company lease provider is saying that it will have to be paid by me directly if it becomes applicable. My delivery is scheduled for this week or latest by next Saturday /Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that the cess doesn't come into effect by then.

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th August 2017 at 09:55.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 10:05   #1852
BHPian

Good day,

Booked the Limited Option 4x2 last week at RDS Royale Jeep Chennai. They are an exclusive jeep showroom and have been selling Wrangler and Grand Cherokee for past 8 months. Very professional sales persons with premium facilities. They have to be as they have been selling a 1.2Cr and 0.8Cr vehicle till now. The service is at the same place and exclusive to Jeep. Didn't go for the test drive as my fellow BHPians are already happy with the drive.

The interiors are very premium and overall build quality is excellent. I drove an Audi A6 and Audi Q3 before this. And I personally feel that Jeep 'in India' as on date is not too far from from Audi Q3 in terms of road presence and brand value. Will be using it for next 2 years so not worried much about the reliability factor. The 170 bhp should be enough to keep us entertained till then.

The salesperson has told a delivery period of 15 days which is fantastic. Insurance quoted was 74k with 10k additional for b2b cover. Accessories for 9k which you need anyways. Will put up the price list soon.

And I went for the BLACK with black roof. Black with the chromea in Limited do have a pull in me.

Cheers.
karthik_freaky is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:19   #1853
BHPian

I was searching for electronic park brake feature and stumbled upon this nice informative video by MOPAR. Hope this helps JEEP bhpians.

I specially liked auto engage and disengage of park brake, but couldn't find mention of it in any review.

varunswnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 13:17   #1854
BHPian

I forgot to mention this earlier, I heard from the Pride Motors sales head that localization currently stands at around 63%. But i remember earlier people talking of more than 90% localization for the Compass, not sure which is true.

Next thing i wanted to ask, does anyone have an idea what PCD alloys fit the Compass? I asked the sales guy, and he was asking what do you mean by PCD?
Old 13th August 2017, 14:45   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
I was searching for electronic park brake feature and stumbled upon this nice informative video by MOPAR. Hope this helps JEEP bhpians.

I specially liked auto engage and disengage of park brake, but couldn't find mention of it in any review.

Thanks for sharing a good video.

What happens if you have a dead battery and want to engage/disengage the parking brake on a steep incline?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 13th August 2017 at 14:51.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 14:48   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Next thing i wanted to ask, does anyone have an idea what PCD alloys fit the Compass?
It is 114.3 with 5 bolts.

The Jeep Pinnacle showroom here at Kochi got atleast 4 different OEM wheels. So, will be a good choice for people buying the Sport variant. The black steel wheel doesn't look bad, good that they didn't use a plastic wheel cap to cover it.

I visited the showroom yesterday with two of my friends and it was crowded like crazy. Large families with children, grand parents, bachelors, business man, ladies, just about every kind of customers. There were a bunch of smart blokes wearing the traditional starched 'mundu' and getting a lot of attention from the sales. My friend quipped that we wore the wrong attire to the showroom.

Pinnacle categorically told us they cannot get us a vehicle this year. They are apparently sitting with 450 bookings. And even if you add a few kilos of salt, it is still a substantial number. Looks like Jeep has caught the fancy of Kerala. We have been here with both Uno and Palio. Hope FCA cracks it this time. There is nothing like seeing a quality product succeed in the market.

Speaking of quality, the doors are the best bit. If anyone has a problem with the money paid for the Compass, just make him/her close that door.
Sit inside, close that door and it will just push you inside. My friend pointed that out and it felt nice. We had visited Skoda just before that and there is a perceivable difference in how the door feels like compared even the mighty Octavia.

This was the second time I was inside the Compass and this time I felt the room inside was adequate. First time, I thought it was really on the short side. Both my friends were 6 footers and they didn't have trouble to sit just behind each other. There is no surplus room, but this is enough.

We didn't drive. There was a running queue with an hour of waiting. Was not worth it for such a short spin. The demo car was a blue Limited variant, and it looks the bad. Too loud and doesn't suit the Jeep.

Wanted to check the Sport badly but they didn't have one. I also didn't like the chrome chin of the Compass. Should have been a matt brushed aluminium finish.

The Silver or white Compass with the gloss black roof is my pick. Looks great on the outside. Anyone picking variants other than Limited O should definitely get it done outside.
deetjohn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 16:00   #1857
BHPian

Checked out the Compass today with no intention of buying because we just purchased a Creta (D) recently and have a 3 year old Honda City but honestly as of now , we will probably let the Honda go

My initial impressions with direct comparisons to our Creta (1.6) and our beloved 150 bhp pre facelift Cruze with that insane turbo boost above 2000 rpm is as follows

In general this feels more in line with a D segment car and particularly closer to Cruze (with very similar strengths and weaknesses) than Creta which although over priced is clearly a C segment car by all measures.

The engine first of all is reasonably refined with acceptable levels of low end torque and it is definitely better than Cruze in both these departments only bested by Creta (in refinement and low end torque)
That mid range punch is also delivered in a mature way that i feel is the result of tuning (Great low end torque is always welcome but i still miss that mid range punch of Cruze) , Cruze was tuned for mid range punch and the low end was pathetic , this has acceptable low end and thus the mid range not feeling as strong as that.

The difference in this department with Creta in my brief test drive was apparent after 100 KM/h and the difference was huge , in the tune of 30-40% , below that the difference is not that considerable. Also the car felt faster than Cruze after 100 in the range of 5-10% and that 2000cc engine with that indestructible and invincible kind of feeling , when it just pulls and pulls reminded me of Cruze and highlights what i have been missing in Creta.
Just to be fair with fellow Creta 1.6 D owners the difference in performance is definitely not night and day , but on an open road especially when doing triple digit speeds the Compass is considerably superior, Creta has superior low end torque and overall better tuning and it should shine more in city conditions.

The drive felt much more sure footed and confidence inspiring than Creta and again in line with D segment cars and those all round disc brakes are very effective , the ride quality felt good too but there were very little rough patches in our test drive area and i had to literally find them and throw the car over them , one such patch was brilliantly dismissed at about 100 km/h with the car retaining its composure and grip brilliantly.

Looks although subjective , i love the way this looks and to me it looks way better than Creta and that superb build quality , those doors and bonnet which are super heavy all feel special

The only department it lacks is the interiors, they are nowhere as plush or well finished like say, an Octavia and are totally in line with Creta, if not a little inferior. (especially the lower variants)
The space is at a premium too and it is best suited for 4. All the variants were on display at Fiat Gurgaon dealership (i have never seen so many people at a Fiat dealership and the overall vibe there was very positive , definitely a superior experience than Tata or Mahindra) and i felt only the top variant has decent looking interiors , although that light shade used in seat upholstery would get dirty easily.
The sound insulation felt good and the overall NVH package was really good with the all season tyres spoiling the show , they are noisy and i'am not aware if any aftermarket options from Michellin or Yokohama are available.

Overall the car has all the qualities to make it a winner with that brilliant pricing and it being a mini SUV (a very hot segment right now in India) would definitely make it a winner and i might just pick one up.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 13th August 2017 at 16:14.
Rocketscience is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 22:56   #1858
BHPian

Is there ever going to be a Jeep compass Tbhp review ?
revv_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 23:26   #1859
BHPian

Of course there will be. It comes late as Team BHP has the last word when it comes to reviews
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 00:10   #1860
BHPian

Hi. I would like someone to point out the difference between the AWD system of Compass as compared to XUV500 in terms of functionality and which of the two is better in normal off-road conditions like snow, mud, sand etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks