Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 02:03   #2041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
I took delivery of my White Compass Sport yesterday evening. )

Congrats!! SUV's are best suited either in White or Black Colour. Waiting for your initial observations of your prized possession.

You get spare wheel an Alloy or Steel? And is it the same Size?
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 05:16   #2042
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Congrats!! SUV's are best suited either in White or Black Colour. Waiting for your initial observations of your prized possession.

You get spare wheel an Alloy or Steel? And is it the same Size?
Thank you. The Sport variant comes with Steel wheels but they look pretty decent, infact Jeep calls them "Stylized" steel wheels. So the white color goes pretty well with the black wheels. And yeah obviously spare is Steel (same on the Limited trim too i guess). But in Sport, spare is the same size as regular tyres i.e., 215/65/16. For the other trims spare is 215/65/16 and regular is 225/60/17.

Initial observations:
Coming from a Palio multijet - i don't see much of a difference in terms of the engine refinement infact. When i start the engine, entire front portion of the car kind of shudders (like a tractor) but then it settles down nicely after that. I hope this disappears after the first service. And once i start AC, it seems a secondary fan kicks in which is extremely loud externally, this is very similar to the palio which makes a huge racket whenever AC is on due to this additional fan. But sitting inside, i didn't really pick up this noise until my wife gestured from outside. So i'd say NVH levels are decent. In palios i could hear that racket from inside.

Driveability: First gear is extremely short, so the car begs you to upshift pretty soon, and then in the 2nd and 3rd i upshifted around 1600-1700 RPM most times. The advantage of a larger engine - it never seems out of breath while going at 80-100 in the top gear and there is always power on tap for overtaking which makes the whole driving experience on the highways so much more relaxing.

Ergonomics: It is a typical American car in India with wiper controls on the right and turn indicators on the left. The distance from driver armrest to gear knob seems a bit far for my arm (I am 5'8"), i am just able to rest my elbow. Even on the right, i couldn't rest my elbow on the door pad while holding the steering at the bottom. I will try and adjust the steering for reach and see. But my initial impression is that this suits slightly taller people with longer arms namely Americans :P

I am still getting used to the elevated driving position. Getting into the car seems to be pretty effortless, it is at the right height where i don't need to climb in. My 5'6" wife said she had to climb in but not so much as in a regular SUV like Fortuner it seems. I will share more observations on the suspension and ride quality in a couple of days, i want to check it out under different load and road conditions before finalizing my opinions (felt it is a tad bit soft for my liking sometimes).

My wife will be driving this today or tomorrow and i will share her observations on the clutch and ergonomics for shorter people. Her regular ride is a Brio which is a fun car to drive, she loves zipping around in it.

Minor observations:
Though sport variant doesn't come with start/stop button, you still have to press clutch while cranking to get the engine started.
To disengage parking brake manually, first of all your foot should be on the brake pedal.
And yes, people give way to a beefy looking car (am reluctant to call this an SUV) like this and it grabs eye balls! Wifey is pretty nervous and insisted on going to the temple right away due to this :P
paliontile is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 05:37   #2043
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Folks,
Am I the only one missing something here on MOPAR insurance. From what I understood, the price quoted is for 2 years unlike the usual 1 year. I think it works out cheaper with MOPAR and it seems to be a fair deal.

Cheers,
Pradeep.

Last edited by pdma : 27th August 2017 at 05:39.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 07:22   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Folks,
Am I the only one missing something here on MOPAR insurance. From what I understood, the price quoted is for 2 years unlike the usual 1 year. I think it works out cheaper with MOPAR and it seems to be a fair deal.

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Nope, that is not true. I have seen a MOPAR insurance cover note for Compass Sport and it clearly mentions premium as 77k and expires in Aug 2018 for a sum assured of 14.7L i guess. Also so called MOPAR insurance is actually in tie up with Bharti AXA. 77k is for Nil Dep. For more like engine protect (due to water ingress) or key loss or RSA you are supposed to pay extra.
paliontile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 09:54   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my White Compass Sport yesterday evening.
Congratulations on your purchase and wish you happy miles!. There is little information about the sport variant on the net. I am sure a lot of people are waiting for your review (I have particular interest in your initial ownership review as I drive the adventure and feel I finally have an upgrade available) I think the sport variant is good VFM.

Does the sport variant come with the same underbody protection as all other variants? What about the wheel well cladding ? (I hope jeep hasnt resorted to silent removal of certain components like what we have seen in WRV) How is the seat fabric quality?
Old 27th August 2017, 10:16   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and wish you happy miles!. There is little information about the sport variant on the net. I am sure a lot of people are waiting for your review (I have particular interest in your initial ownership review as I drive the adventure and feel I finally have an upgrade available) I think the sport variant is good VFM.

Does the sport variant come with the same underbody protection as all other variants? What about the wheel well cladding ? (I hope jeep hasnt resorted to silent removal of certain components like what we have seen in WRV) How is the seat fabric quality?
I agree Sport is VFM for people who are looking for a practical, fun to drive vehicle without compromising on safety. Obviously there are some bells and whistles missing. But underbody protection and wheel well claddings aren't the ones. What's missing is that low hanging aerodynamic lip attached to the front bumper which people are complaining about - with regards to ground clearance. I am glad its not there and i got to know its removable even for the higher trims. Fabric quality - i am not impressed, but i am not a fan of art leather either. So i will go for fabric seat covers in a few days.

I will definitely put up a detailed ownership report at the earliest. Until then glad to answer any questions you may have here.

Last edited by paliontile : 27th August 2017 at 10:20.
paliontile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 11:16   #2047
BHPian

Mod Note: Our Compass Report has been taken live at this link (Jeep Compass : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
I will definitely put up a detailed ownership report at the earliest. Until then glad to answer any questions you may have here.
On the Sports variant, the only thing I seem to miss the most is the projector head lamps. Can you please tell how the OEM headlights are doing the job for you?

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2017 at 15:05. Reason: Linking to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed