Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 03:22   #271
BANNED

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The India-spec Jeep Compass being driven:

Video recording orientation is inverted by 90 degrees, but gives us a fair idea of how the Compass fares on our Indian rough roads.

Courtesy Yogesh Dahiya @ Facebook.
Looks like a middle version, with the smaller U connect and the knobs for volume control.
Old 9th June 2017, 05:01   #272
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The India-spec Jeep Compass being driven:

Video recording orientation is inverted by 90 degrees, but gives us a fair idea of how the Compass fares on our Indian rough roads.

Courtesy Yogesh Dahiya @ Facebook.
Lucky guys.

At the end of the video clip, it looks like the driver stalled the engine on the incline. There is a fair bit of body roll too.

It will be nice to see how FCA positions the car.
Old 9th June 2017, 05:47   #273
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
+1 on this. In my earlier posts on this thread I have been constantly reminding the forum on the Jeep brand reliability issues in America.
My co brother is down from America and over dinner was casually discussing Jeep Compass and it's impending launch , he just had a wry smile and just said that it will be more workshop than your garage. He has an RAV4 with 170 k miles and 15 years.

Indian market will be ruthless if they get it wrong. Let's just hope "all is well ".

Going by the specs and features this Jeep Compass looks to be seriously phenomenal in terms of its 'value pack/ all you can eat' pricing etc.
In ref reliability and so on you are absolutely right. A number of my friends abroad too say the same and when you read the statistics then this unreliability is quite believable.
Saying that, the few times that I have rented and driven Jeeps out in the US, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
And the Jeep per se is a 'heart' over 'mind' decision for most people.
Like no one in his right mind will buy a Gypsy here in India. But yet, a few maniacs out here actually do! Me being one such.
Old 9th June 2017, 07:39   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+1 on this. In my earlier posts on this thread I have been constantly reminding the forum on the Jeep brand reliability issues in America.
My co brother is down from America and over dinner was casually discussing Jeep Compass and it's impending launch , he just had a wry smile and just said that it will be more workshop than your garage. He has an RAV4 with 170 k miles and 15 years.

Indian market will be ruthless if they get it wrong. Let's just hope "all is well ".
I dont know about America, but my close friend owns a Jeep Compass here in Australia, a 2011 model AWD Limited edition spec. He has had absolutely no issues with the vehicle to date. It's done over 100,000 kms last time i checked, and sees high usage as he does a lot of work related travelling using the vehicle. He has had this vehicle since new, and gets regular servicing done at the dealer.

This is the vehicle when i was using it in between while he went on vacation.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20130825-17.14.16.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20130323-15.53.20.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th June 2017 at 07:44.
benbsb29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 09:58   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Sport:

The Sport will be on offer in both the diesel and petrol guise. It will be only offered with the 6-speed manual transmission. It will get the 5″ U connect touch screen infotainment system, 16″ alloys, halogen headlamps, all black interiors , electric folding mirrors, electric park brake, all 4 disc brakes, ABS, EBD, TCS as well as dual airbags up front.
[/url]
Thanks for the info. Looks like the Sport version is decently loaded. If priced well, it can be a serious threat to the likes of Creta, XUV and Duster.
Old 9th June 2017, 10:02   #276
BHPian

Came across the ROW version of the compass in pune. The guy sitting inside agreed to let me take photos but didn't allow me to sit in the driver's seat. Worth a try. Some hurried notes and photos I took-

-this was the ROW version. You can see the sticker on the rear windshield. He mentioned that there are about 40 versions being tested right now!
- launch in August.
- huge looking touch screen. Dark upholstery gave a good impression.
- didn't see any terrain select dial in this setup. Surprised as I thought it was standard?
- 13 airbags in this version.
- rear looked spacious and the steering wheel felt chunky and had a solid grip.
-. Overall the car didn't feel very big but had a good presence.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982540.758882.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982248.423504.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982565.643740.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982584.477430.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982600.464093.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982627.131162.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1496982643.382249.jpg
pickdj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:19   #277
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:

But the Compass isn't a "true blue" Jeep! It's based on Fiat's platform, has engines from Fiat and I'm sure there would be a lot more from Fiat going in to the Compass considering it's being built in an existing Fiat facility! Not saying that this is a Fiat all underneath, but some major components are from Fiat and that ought to provide better reliability considering Fiat enjoys decent reliability record in most part of the world ( no comparisons to Toyota though ).

I would only be concerned only about some complex components like the auto gear boxes, the all terrain drive systems etc since these parts in all likelihood are being manufactured for the first time in India by Fiat and there may even be some imported components in these systems, making replacements expensive or time consuming.

Else I expect Compass to be in the lines of VW Vento / Polo / Rapid--good engines, maybe one or two persistent issues like brakes or suspension etc.

Last edited by motorworks : 9th June 2017 at 10:22.
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:35   #278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
Came across the ROW version of the compass in pune.
-this was the ROW version. You can see the sticker on the rear windshield.
- 13 airbags in this version.
Pardon me, what's a ROW version?
Are you sure about the 13 airbag thing?
Old 9th June 2017, 10:49   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Pardon me, what's a ROW version?
Are you sure about the 13 airbag thing?
ROW is the rest of world version for RHD export markets. The India plant will be the exclusive factory for Jeep Compass exports to other RHD markets.
13 airbags does seem too high as even highest cars have 7/8 air bags mostly.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:56   #280
BHPian

That's why I asked the guy about 13 airbags. He was very clear about the total number of airbags. But then again, maybe this is specific to one of the versions.
pickdj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 11:01   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
ROW is the rest of world version for RHD export markets. The India plant will be the exclusive factory for Jeep Compass exports to other RHD markets.
13 airbags does seem too high as even highest cars have 7/8 air bags mostly.

Guessing 4-5 seatbelt bags and 2 knee airbags for driver and passenger apart from the regular 6. Does it also have a parachute to land if the hill climb goes wrong ? Lol.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 12:14   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Guessing 4-5 seatbelt bags and 2 knee airbags for driver and passenger apart from the regular 6. Does it also have a parachute to land if the hill climb goes wrong ? Lol.
LOL. I did ask him to point out the airbags and he started pointing madly at assorted locations within the car. I did notice that he pointed towards the kneebags along with a vague gesture towards the rear.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:27   #283
BHPian

So it seems the petrol version will either be the base variant or the top variant. Jeep should provide a mid variant for petrol heads as well. There are petrol heads who may not want AWD but may want a FWD variant only with other frills like 17 inchers, projector lamps, larger touch screen etc. May not be a deal breaker though!
Old 9th June 2017, 15:15   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
So it seems the petrol version will either be the base variant or the top variant.
Confirmed this just now. Got a call from the local dealer informing me about start of pre-booking from today. He said that Petrol will come with "multi-air"
(He didn't know what it means since he hasn't been trained yet )
I was told that the launch will be 19th or 21st June and delivery will happen in early August. Price will be around 16-22 L and nowhere near Tucson ranges. Booking amount is 1L which was reduced to 51k after slight persuasion. I might just go and book it this weekend.
DJ
pickdj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 15:32   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
I was told that the launch will be 19th or 21st June and delivery will happen in early August. Price will be around 16-22 L and nowhere near Tucson ranges.
DJ
Do you mean to say July 19th or 21st ??
Price range looks very tempting. If FCA launch compass at this price, ~20L SUV segment will shake down for sure.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks