Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 22:03   #361
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1.6 has not been localized for India. Might be offered at a later stage if that happens.

2.0 however is made in India, thanks to good demand by TATA as well for its upcoming range of SUVs.
Thanks CrazyDriver. It makes sense now. Its going to be really intresting on how they are going to price it. They should not commit any blunder in that, with so much effort being put into the product and marketing side of it..
Old 12th June 2017, 22:40   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1.6 has not been localized for India. Might be offered at a later stage if that happens.

2.0 however is made in India, thanks to good demand by TATA as well for its upcoming range of SUVs.
Which Tata uses the 2.0 engine? Isn't this the first time this engine is coming to any car in India?
Old 12th June 2017, 22:42   #363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Which Tata uses the 2.0 engine? Isn't this the first time this engine is coming to any car in India?
Yes this is the first indian implementation of this engine.

No Tata uses it currently but Tata has placed a large order with Fiat India for 2.0 MJD engines so it is expected they will use them in their SUVs
Old 12th June 2017, 22:52   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Already been answered correctly. Hence I'll just add the link as well for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ruti-tata.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Yes this is the first indian implementation of this engine.

No Tata uses it currently but Tata has placed a large order with Fiat India for 2.0 MJD engines so it is expected they will use them in their SUVs
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 04:21   #365
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thats the first thing i would change if i buy Compass. They look so small for the car. They need broader and bigger tyres.
It is funny, but most cars out there seem to be in some way "under-tyred" at least when it comes to the stock size supplied as OEM.
I wonder why.
All of us who like cars, generally tend to buy the car and then, after a time, upsize our tyres.
Are the manufacturers hand in hand with the tyre makers in this? Or is it cost cutting somewhere? Or is it that we "car people" are just a little bit nuts?
Old 13th June 2017, 05:51   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is funny, but most cars out there seem to be in some way "under-tyred" at least when it comes to the stock size supplied as OEM.
I wonder why.
All of us who like cars, generally tend to buy the car and then, after a time, upsize our tyres.
Are the manufacturers hand in hand with the tyre makers in this? Or is it cost cutting somewhere? Or is it that we "car people" are just a little bit nuts?
My guess is that they do this to get better fuel economy, as fuel economy is a key selling factor for cars here.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:04   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thats the first thing i would change if i buy Compass. They look so small for the car. They need broader and bigger tyres.
Should be due to the massive squared out wheel arches more than the overall size of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Some comparison of tyre sizes for cars that were being mentioned here as competition. Compass falls right in place IMO -

Renault Duster AWD - 215/65 R16
Skoda Yeti - 215/60 R16

Hyundai Creta - 215/60 R17
Volkswagen Tiguan Comfortline - 215/65 R 17

Hyundai Tucson - 225/60 R17
Jeep Compass - 225/60 R17

VW Tiguan Highline - 235/55 R 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
My guess is that they do this to get better fuel economy, as fuel economy is a key selling factor for cars here.
For such vehicles, even more important than looks/ fuel efficiency is the ride quality.

Remember the Innova episode where they had to revert the top spec variant as well from 18 inch wheels to 17 inch?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th June 2017 at 08:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 08:20   #368
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Yes agree , 215*60*17 profile are better suited for India than a 55 or a 50 profile. Toyota proved it with the Innova. The Tucson is available with 18' alloys on the GLS spec.

Also the alloy design isn't special. Maybe a Plastidip to black will look better ?

So are all variants getting the same alloys ? That's a first for india.

What's the wading depth with the Compass ? There seems to be no mention of this ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 13th June 2017 at 08:25.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:06   #369
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Should be due to the massive squared out wheel arches more than the overall size of the car.

Some comparison of tyre sizes for cars that were being mentioned here as competition. Compass falls right in place IMO -

Renault Duster AWD - 215/65 R16
Skoda Yeti - 215/60 R16
Im using Falken Tyres - the first tyre change which I carried out when the car was 4.5 years old. Chucked out the OEM Goodyear Excellence and put these Falkens basis Behemoth and others inputs. The size Im using are 215/65/16 + I ve added in those Rogerab Dampers which help with the ride, over bumps and speed breakers.
These tyres have a marginally higher sidewall, taking the GC up by 5mm, plus another 5mm because of the Rogerab dampers. So while the stock car has 180mm GC, I ve eked out an extra 10mm, which most certainly helps me over the bumps when the car is loaded with 4 Adults.

My neighbour has put some fabulous Goodyear AT tyres on his Duster. Brilliant Treads - they look very tough and durable indeed. He has used the stock size of 215/65/16.

Buyers of the Jeep Compass may actually benefit by upsizing a bit, 235/65/17 if such a size is indeed available. I don't think the Jeep can manage 235/70/17 (again if such a size is indeed available) because then the upsize will probably end up being beyond the margin provided and may void suspension warranty.

Anyway, once the vehicle launches Im sure that owners will do a slew of changes and upgrades to their Jeeps! Im really looking forward to seeing many of these Jeep Compasses on our roads in the near future!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 10:05   #370
Team-BHP Support

Overdrive compares Compass with Hexa and Tucson -

http://m.overdrive.in/reviews/compar...-vs-tata-hexa/

Quote:
Verdict
At the end of this comparison, the Tata Hexa still remains the most value-for-money car you can buy in the price range. For Rs 17.40 (ex-Delhi) you get a lot of space, excellent ride quality, a good number of features and even a 4x4 option if you're okay with the manual (Rs 17.49 lakh). It's certainly the more practical car here, but it somehow lacks the premium appeal, which a lot of customers care about.

So if that is your primary concern, the Tucson is the car for you. It costs a hefty Rs 25.01 lakh, but you get a whole lot of features, excellent performance, good efficiency, a comfortable car and most importantly, a car that can hold its own against the entry-level luxury crossovers from Germany. However, it lacks the ruggedness or feel of a big, bad SUV, and doesn't come with a four-wheel drive variant.

So then that brings us to middle-ground -- the Jeep Compass. It might not have the best set of features here, but it comes with good safety kit, excellent ride and handling, a premium design, that typical rugged SUV feel and 4x4. But my favourite bit about the Compass is that it's a driver-focussed car -- something this segment has been lacking for a while now. And it manages all of this without compromising too much on practicality, luxury or price. If it's what we think that's gonna be, the top-spec manual will be priced at around Rs 25 lakh (Ex-Delhi). That might be as much as the Tucson, but you have to remember that this is the 4x4 variant. You could also opt for the 4x2 variant, which will certainly be cheaper.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170613_100319.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th June 2017 at 10:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 10:20   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

BBC TopGear has posted their review of the Compass.

Quote:
Hit the engine start button on the steering column to get this 2.0-litre motor to fire up and settle into idle. It is immediately apparent that Jeep has worked hard to keep noise levels low in the cabin. Slotting the six-speed manual gearbox into first is easy and there is a positive feel to the shift action. Low-end responses are good and the Compass gets on with a certain degree of urgency past 1,800rpm. Engine response remains strong past 3,000rpm and it is only another 500 revs later that the drone of the diesel motor makes itself known inside the cabin. Moving through the gears is fairly easy and the motor will let you potter around at ridiculously low revs with good driveability. Consequently, you do not need to shift too often through urban areas, which makes life easier.
Get up to highway speeds, and the 170 horses come into their own clocking triple-digit speeds effortlessly. In fact, you can cruise at just under 2,000rpm in sixth gear and just above 2,000rpm in fifth gear doing 100kph all day and extract great efficiency out of the car as well. However, should you find yourself in a bit of a spot, shift a couple of cogs lower and there is enough boost to surge past slow moving traffic. The six-speed manual transmission sounds a nice solid click each time you execute a throw to shift gears which is almost reassuring.
What is even more impressive, though, is the ride quality that the Compass manages. While the low-speed ride is absorptive of the large speed breakers and potholes, things only get better as you gather some speed. It isn’t really soft, but the damping does an excellent job of soaking up irregularities. The rain did come down pretty hard for most of the drive, but the few corners that I did have a chance to push through saw good body control from the Compass. There is a bit of body roll, but it is well controlled and predictable. There is enough here to safely allow you to explore the limits of grip with this Jeep.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2017jun12075923.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-compass-fd4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-compass-fd2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-compass-fd11.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 10:50   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive review says petrol will also be offered with 4x4. 160BHP turbopetrol Jeep with DSG and 4x4 will be my dream come true. I am spoiled by the 1.8TSi :-)

Why no test drives of the petrol engine? What's cooking?
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:28   #373
BHPian

Top end variant has been reported to be available in both Petrol and diesel. What is disappointing is absence of a decent FWD petrol variant. With the price gap between petrol and diesel narrowing the absence of choice in petrol variant does not make sense. Jeep should offer an option to customize one's vehicle per preference given that the manufacturing hub is in India and over 50 variations are being manufactured here. It would be a big differentiation and will lead to higher satisfaction due to the fact that the buyers will end up paying for what they want.
FamilyTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:51   #374
BHPian

*insert radio voice-over*
The base trim Jeep Compass with its sleek steel wheels and an aerodynamic bumper with no fog lights is stunning value at 15 Lakhs

Quote:
Jeep has almost doubled their US market sales over the last three years.
And their Asian competitors are still selling twice as much.
My point was the American Jeep enthusiasts are smart enough to logically recognise these as repackaged European platforms (nothing wrong with that), but the response here from a crowd that has largely been negative to said European brand has suddenly become positive with just an American badge? What has changed vs the Linea/Punto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Actually a lot of brands in India that are part of a group are serviced at the same service center <..> So atleast for the time being that shouldn't be much of an issue. The actual problems remain with the Jeep product itself and its reliability.
I understand, but that isn't my issue. Cars these days are pretty much guaranteed to have some issue, and a service centre is your only point to fix them.
Now let's say you had to take your Porsche to the same service centre that ruined one of the infamous Skodas mentioned on this forum, would you trust them? Service is the excuse everyone gave for avoiding Fiat. If Jeep is serious about revamping service and still using the existing network, there should be evidence of this, but my interaction over the past month has strangely been a lower than average experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
IIRC one of the initial press release from Jeep mentioned their installed capacity of 50K units per annum, of which 45-50% are for exports.
Link please? IINM they've said the Ranjangaon factory has a capacity of 160K units. But the facility is shared with Tata, so I'm not sure how many units they plan to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
That being the case, they should be happy selling 200-250 units per month, with exports helping them on the ROI front.
Can you name some car manufacturers who have invested heavily into an Indian manufacturing plant to make a single model for 20L and said we'd be happy selling 200 units? Wouldn't they have been better off just going the CKD route? I saw an Australian article already questioning making the Jeep in India in light of poor reliability concerns. Is Make in India really such a big attraction for Jeep?
Old 13th June 2017, 13:11   #375
BHPian

The base trim is completely unattractive and 'not so Premium'. Imagine conventional headlights, 5 inch touch screen, no fog lights, no rear parking sensor in a vehicle costing north of 16 lakhs ex showroom. Some of the Sub 10 lakhs cars have better features. Projector headlamps. 7 inch touch screen and parking sensor should have been standard features.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed