Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 14:43   #406
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
No, Compass is a 4WD unlike Tiguan which is an AWD.

Can you provide me the source for your statement above, if any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Can you please let me know the following things about Compass and Tiguan -

1. Engine layout is transverse or longitudinal in each of these vehicles
2. Primary drive goes to front wheels or rear wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I believe they are both transversely mounted with the primary drive going to the front wheels.
I think this article will help in understanding the difference between 4WD and AWD -

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...lvin-Nelson-3#
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 15:09   #407
Senior - BHPian

The quora description is correct in itself, but the use of the terms is no longer what it contemplates. Specifically, what it calls a 4WD is a car with option to engage all 4 wheels but with no centre differential, so it cannot be driven in 4WD mode on tarmac without damage to the driveline. A classic example: Gypsy. I don't think any car here is that kind of a 4WD.

These terms are very casually thrown around these days, and I am not sure that either 4WD, or AWD as being used for these cars, is accurate. One would need to study the spec and the driveline configuration in some depth to decipher what each really means.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 15:26   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please let me know the following things about Compass and Tiguan -

1. Engine layout is transverse or longitudinal in each of these vehicles
2. Primary drive goes to front wheels or rear wheels
Before we get into any contretemps, let’s look at the difference between an AWD and a 4WD:

All-Wheel Drive (AWD): A drivetrain that employs a front, rear and center differential to provide power to all four wheels of a vehicle.

Four-Wheel Drive (4WD): A drivetrain that employs two differentials and a transfer case to provide power to all four wheels of a vehicle. 4WD can be further split into full-time 4WD & part time 4WD

Full Time 4WD: Full-time 4WD operates as the name suggests. At all times torque is supplied to all four wheels, all of the time. The driver usually has several options available to them which affect the operation of the drivetrain depending on the conditions that are encountered.

In normal operation (such as driving on a bitumen surface) the front and rear axles are split by a differential which allows them to operate at different speeds when required — for example, when cornering etc.

In most vehicles there will be the option of ‘diff lock’. This locks up the centre differential and restricts any rotational difference between the front and rear axles. It’s a feature that is commonly used when off-roading to gain maximum traction.

There may also be the option of ‘low range’. Usually used in extreme off-road conditions and on steep inclines, this changes the gearing of the drivetrain to provide a torque multiplying effect.

Part Time 4WD: This is the original 4WD and the most basic one. Part-time 4WD vehicles tend not to have differentials between the front and rear axles. This limits the use of 4WD to off-road use because use of this feature on bitumen surfaces (where tyres have good traction) can cause excess stress and damage to the drivetrain (often called wind-up).

All Wheel Drive (AWD): All-wheel drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system, that also sends torque to all four wheels constantly. However, most modern AWD systems don’t offer drivers the option to operate in two-wheel drive and, unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked. The differentials do, however, have ability to limit slippage between the axles if a low traction situation is encountered.

In AWD, this system works to get power to the wheels with the most traction by splitting torque between the front and rear axles on the center differential, and to the individual wheels by way of the front and rear differentials.

AWD isn’t quite as robust as 4WD and it can’t match the acute power delivery necessary for low-speed off-roading (i.e. rock crawling etc.). AWD systems simply cannot satisfy high-torque demands when the vehicle is off-road, therefore AWD vehicles tend to be more ‘car-like’ or ‘crossover’ wagon style than obvious off-roaders.

In most of the modern cars, computers are involved in most AWD systems. Sensors on each wheel monitor traction, wheel speed, and several other data points hundreds of times a second. An ECU (engine control unit) dictates where power is sent and to which individual wheel depending on whichever has the most grip.

Some AWD systems are essentially only part-time, driving only the front wheels until traction loss is sensed and torque is automatically directed to the rear wheels – eg. Honda CRV etc.

VW Tiguan uses the electronically controlled 4MOTION (AWD) system, where in, In normal driving conditions, power is supplied to the front wheels. This improves fuel economy versus running power through all four wheels all the time. However, when in need, the off-road drive mode offers all-terrain capability at the push of a button. This instantly switches on a group of advanced off-road technologies which work together to give you safer control over rough ground.

Compass sold in the international market, available in four distinct trim levels: the base Sport, the mid-level Latitude, the luxurious Limited, and the off road-capable Trailhawk. All trim levels are available with either front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, with the exception of the Trailhawk trim, which will only be available in a 4WD configuration.

The reason I uploaded the below image in my previous post was to show the “4WD Low” & “4WD Lock” controls which can only be found in 4WD cars.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-untitled.jpg

Source:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/w...l-wheel-drive/
http://www.motoring.com.au/what-is-t...-and-awd-7530/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Compass
cbatrody is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 15:29   #409
Senior - BHPian

The Compass pricing could be a dhamaka... little over Creta's price you can get the Compass with AWD.

My birdie is chirping ex-showroom starting from Rs.15 Lakhs (for Diesel , he corrected me). And the service costs could be as lower as well as the localisation is on a higher side.

I am sure it can make an impact leading to good start.
CARDEEP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 16:28   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The Compass pricing could be a dhamaka... little over Creta's price you can get the Compass with AWD.

My birdie is chirping ex-showroom starting from Rs.15 Lakhs (for Diesel , he corrected me). And the service costs could be as lower as well as the localisation is on a higher side.

I am sure it can make an impact leading to good start.
Compass is a competitor to Tuscon. 15 Lakh, even for a base petrol sounds too optimistic. Unless they offer a completely stripped down version, anything below 22 lacs on road, I would be super surprised.
Old 14th June 2017, 16:39   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The reason I uploaded the below image in my previous post was to show the “4WD Low” & “4WD Lock” controls which can only be found in 4WD cars.
All would be clear if one knew that there was a warning that these modes are NOT to be engaged on tarmac/good surfaces.
Old 14th June 2017, 16:41   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 1648265
The picture you had attached is from the trailhawk version. It has got a continuously variable transmission fitted with a low-range setting. It is not an actual low range gearbox.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep_compass_automatic.jpg

I have not seen any picture of the manual version yet, but I am sure it will not have a 4WD low button. Whatever terminology VW or Jeep use, end of the day both Tiguan and Compass are AWD vehicles.
Anyways that does not take away anything from them. I am sure both of them will be mighty capable, it is just the term 4WD being used incorrectly was what I was concerned with.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th June 2017 at 16:43.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 16:41   #413
Senior - BHPian

Cornering lamps are like the VW Polo - the fog lamps. Mild off-roading video.

Name:  Screen Shot 20170614 at 4.44.04 PM.png
Views: 4262
Size:  432.2 KB

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 14th June 2017 at 16:44.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 16:47   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Compass is a competitor to Tuscon. 15 Lakh, even for a base petrol sounds too optimistic. Unless they offer a completely stripped down version, anything below 22 lacs on road, I would be super surprised.
I think in US Jeep Compass is around 9% cheaper than Tucson. With GST also giving us 5-6% benefit. 1.4L Petrol (instead of 2.4L Petrol in US) and a Manual Transmission can result in the base Petrol go under 15Lacs. 15L for diesel I have doubts.
Old 14th June 2017, 16:55   #415
Senior - BHPian

The key question is reliability and after sales service/parts availability. I hear little about how good or bad this is these days; perhaps because no one is buying enough Fiats for complaints to be heard.

Has there been any improvement in recent years on this very consistent Fiat failure?
Old 14th June 2017, 16:57   #416
Senior - BHPian

Got these a week back on WhatsApp. Apologies, if already shared here.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-3.jpg Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-3a.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-4.jpg Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-4a.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-5.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 15th June 2017 at 11:05. Reason: Watermarking images
schakravarthy is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 17:18   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 1648265
Quote:

I have not seen any picture of the manual version yet, but I am sure it will not have a 4WD low button.
I had missed out on this pic by CrAzY dRiVeR before. This is the manual version and there is no 4WD low button. Hope this clarifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Old 14th June 2017, 17:42   #418
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Many thanks to Dipin S for sharing this information:

Quote:
Jeep Compass bookings are going to commence from June 15th, with booking amount of INR 1 lakh. The SUV will be available at showrooms for display and test drive from 20th June.

Note: I have registered on Jeep India's website, got a call to confirm my interest the other day.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 18:12   #419
Senior - BHPian

Urs Kar, Mysore.

Name:  ForumRunner_20170614_181150.png
Views: 3914
Size:  298.0 KB
schakravarthy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 18:45   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Whatever terminology VW or Jeep use, end of the day both Tiguan and Compass are AWD vehicles.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are not.

While VW Tiguan is an AWD, Jeep Compass is a 4x4 or a 4WD.

The difference in performance between an AWD and a 4WD can be clearly seen in their off-roading abilities. AWDs can do basic off-roading like driving on the snow, in the backyard etc. However, when it comes to extreme off-roading like, rock crawling, high ascent climbing etc. AWDs fail.

AWDs do not have the ability to limit slippage between the axles if a low traction situation is occurred

AWD system also lacks low range that is needed whenever a situation demands high torque

In most of the cases AWD cannot satisfy the demands of an off-road drive

In terms of off-roading VW Tiguan is no match for Compass and in fact the Tiguan cannot be taken on extreme off-roading trails.
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed