Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 23:43   #526
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The official 53-page brochure of the Jeep Compass has been leaked ahead of the SUV's India launch, which is expected to be scheduled in August 2017.
The variant walk talks about AWD on both petrol and Diesel variant, which is good but doesn't have AT on any trim level, so we don't get auto option at launch I guess..that's going to be a deal breaker for me.
Old 17th June 2017, 23:58   #527
Senior - BHPian

More than anything, I am actually quite exited about having a good petrol option. What fuel economy can be expected out of the petrol engine? Any idea?
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 05:48   #528
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
The variant walk talks about AWD on both petrol and Diesel variant, which is good but doesn't have AT on any trim level, so we don't get auto option at launch I guess..that's going to be a deal breaker for me.

There is a mention on the Auto box for Petrol. However there is no Multi Air Petrol engine option at launch. The brochure states that it will be launched later. So Jeep is talking an aggressive entry price of 18 lakhs for the 2 L multijet ? Bad news for all of you waiting for the Petrol.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1497745115.077328.jpg

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 18th June 2017 at 05:50.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 05:53   #529
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
With the full 4*4 set up if I can't wade through a Bangalore underpass in monsoon it's going to be quite an embarrassment. Can Jeep kindly answer that question for me ?

Why are you assuming the Jeep will embarrass you?

As of now, in case one of these wonderful engineering marvels of our Bangalore underpasses get flooded, even the humble Maruti 800 or Van or Tata Ace etc seem to be able to get through. So why not the Jeep?
If I remember right the new Ford Endeavour boasts wading capacity of 800mm and the EcoSport I believe can do upto 500mm.
I would dearly love to know the wading capacity of my Gypsy too but I dont.
Saying that, it isnt as if we live in a 'Waterworld' right now so while wading capacity IS important, it ISN'T important to the point of obsession!
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 06:12   #530
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Saying that, it isnt as if we live in a 'Waterworld' right now so while wading capacity IS important, it ISN'T important to the point of obsession!

Agree , and definitely not an obsession. I have experienced a couple of water wading breakdowns albeit in friends cars( both sedans). Once under the railway bridge near city station and once at the Sheshadripuram underpass( this is what I think that underpass is called. Not sure ). So now a days in monsoon I try and pick roads that don't lead these spots, but it will be fun if we can just wade though.
Maybe that's asking for too much. 800 mm on the Endy sounds fantastic. That's slightly more 2 1/2 feet or just below the hip height of an average adult.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 18th June 2017 at 06:17.
Old 18th June 2017, 08:18   #531
BHPian

By not launching all the variants simultaneously, Jeep is likely to lose a lot of potential customers. Lack of automatics and petrol options could really hurt. Petrol options would have allowed Jeep to start with a lower asking price which opportunity they have lost. How many people opt for a manual tranny in the higher segments?

It could become too late to salvage sales if the automatics and petrol options are unduly delayed as the opening sales is what will differentiate between a hit and a flop. How crazy can some decisions be? Time will tell 🤔
thesilentone is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 09:04   #532
Senior - BHPian

While I always value function over form, the interiors of the base sport variant aren't something that you would expect in a 18L+ car. If the base variant is going to get no alloys and also skips other niceties, then it should be priced very aggressively. I have a 2012 Rapid TDI which came with just Airbags and ABS and virtually nothing else. Sure, I was happy with that since it offered basic safety features and I added stuff like audio system and alloys and other small features over a 3-4 year period, but it worked for me because the car was bought just at 10L OTR!
In a very similar case, my friend bought a base diesel Creta for about 12L, again with the basic safety features but nothing else. So there are customers who look at the entry level variants as a bargain buy, albeit with some basics like airbags and ABS.

if Jeep can keep the barebones Compass well priced, then you sure have customers like me lined up sooner than later! But one should also remember that for a similar money like 18L, an Elantra or Corolla are also available with decent features. Sure they are different cars, but at the end of the day they are D segment vehicles and compete one way or the other.
motorworks is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 10:29   #533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
No cruise control? No TPMS? No 235 mm-wide tyres? No hill-descent control? No rain-sensing wipers? No auto headlamps? No start & stop micro hybrid technology?
Perfect for me. These are all gizmos, except tyres. And tyres can be upgraded. SUVs must have their fundamentals right, that is 4WD, great ride comfort on bad roads, super-reliable suspension, good handling on highways and modern safety features like ABS/Airbags/TCS/EBD, etc. A SUV without these fundamentals, but full of gizmos is nothing but a poser.

Jeep has a grand tradition of not being a poser, so I am hoping Compass will stick with the tradition.
Samurai is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 10:49   #534
BHPian

The moment I saw the Compass in flesh, it didn't look any bigger than a Creta externally. Unless Jeep manages to price its Compass bang against Creta, it isn't going to sell more than a few hundred copies a month on an average from a long term perspective. With no automatic option, asking anything more than 20 lakhs OTR for its top end 4x4 variant isn't a good idea IMHO.

I still feel that Jeep must have deferred the Compass launch until its Petrol, Petrol AT and Diesel AT models are ready. It is difficult to penetrate the market at a later stage with additional variants if the product isn't a super hit during launch time - especially for a struggling brand like Fiat. I am sure that atleast 50% of the prospective customers would need an AT option at this budget.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 18th June 2017 at 10:50.
ece2k2 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 11:14   #535
BHPian

Many of the reactions and opinions by Team BHP members are very valid and I wish Fiat Chrysler Automobiles reads this to suitably market the COMPASS making it successful.
Old 18th June 2017, 12:07   #536
BHPian

Just saw a more detailed review of Jeep Compass by Renuka Kirpalani of Autocar at ET Now. It was a much more planted review as compared to their last one. Some interesting bits -

1) The unladen ground clearance of Jeep Compass is 208 mm. The new norm to measure is with 400kg of loaded weight, which bring the ground clearance of Compass down to 153 mm. This is much lower than the 178 mm ground clearance mentioned in the brochure.

2) The sunroof could be available as optional almost immediately after the launch if there is a demand for it.

3) Compass is expected to come at a "shattering" price.

4) She came out fully impressed with the car highlighting it's steering feedback, interior quality, suspension and handling. She summed up by saying "I would like to buy one".

Last edited by reddevilgautam : 18th June 2017 at 12:17.
reddevilgautam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 12:37   #537
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Maybe that's asking for too much. 800 mm on the Endy sounds fantastic. That's slightly more 2 1/2 feet or just below the hip height of an average adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
hat is 4WD, great ride comfort on bad roads, super-reliable suspension, good handling on highways and modern safety features like ABS/Airbags/TCS/EBD, etc. A SUV without these fundamentals, but full of gizmos is nothing but a poser.

Jeep has a grand tradition of not being a poser, so I am hoping Compass will stick with the tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Just saw a more detailed review of Jeep Compass by Renuka Kirpalani of Autocar at ET it.

3) Compass is expected to come at a "shattering" price.

4) She came out fully impressed with the car highlighting it's steering feedback, interior quality, suspension and handling. She summed up by saying "I would like to buy one".

En route home from the golf course just now, I passed by KHT Motors Jeep and stopped. (My old Gypsy was very pleased to see his other bigger and more expensive country cousins).
I asked the Sales Manager Kiran a couple of questions about the Compass. He only appeared to have rough info about the price which he said would be between 18-25 lacs ex showroom Bangalore. He said it is a little bit larger than a Duster. And we can apparently expect the Top Spec to hit 30-32 on road Bangalore.

He didnt know the wading depth of the Compass but said that the Cherokee has a wading depth of 430mm....not sure if this is correct though. He then said all Jeeps will be looked after post sales, at their facility in Whitefield. Apparently the launch is on 20 June and they are expecting their display and demo vehicles tomorrow or so.

I completely agree with Samurai about the desirables in an SUV or similar functional vehicle.
Therefore the Jeep Compass is certainly an exciting/ interesting proposition. Jeep is not a poseur. They have some wonderful DNA which must necessarily be inside the Compass.

I like Renuka Kripalani's reviews. They are pretty balanced and factual. And from where Im sitting, I'd say if it is good enough for her, then it ought to be good enough for me as well. Im not sure if the indicative prices as mentioned by Kiran today are really 'shattering' enough, going by the amount of speculation on this thread and the demand of so many people that the Compass MUST price itself close to the Creta. (Personally I think Jeep should tread its own strategy and pricing path - after all it is the embodiment of the essence of 'go anywhere'). There will be a good number of takers, even at the prices indicated by Kiran above.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 12:48   #538
BHPian

And the reviews are pouring in now!

GKR9900 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 12:51   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Without the Trailhawk variant, neither is the Jeep Compass. Probably it would still hold it's ground against the Duster AWD, Hexa and XUV AWD, and especially Tucson and Tiguan - but it is not hardcore SUV either.

Should be good enough for 99.99% of the target audience though!
Agree - A hardcore offroader needs to have rigid axles both front and back, that facilitates nice articulation.

Ideal offroad vehicle has a light body on a strong frame, a torquey motor with 4 WD and rides on rigid axles front and back.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:15   #540
BANNED

Check out this review. They have actually heard the feedback that called out their previous review being overkill and biased. This one explains it much better, it's just a very good car, not as feature loaded granted, but it's a car first and it does that better than most.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed