Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2017, 21:33   #556
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Hey, does anyone know when they intend to offer the "trailhawk" version of the Compass? That would b the one to wait for.
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 21:42   #557
Team-BHP Support

Father's Day message from Jeep -

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screenshot_2017061821383427.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 21:49   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Compass is like what Evoque is to a proper Range Rover. It probably can do some things but not all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I guess this makes more sense. EDIT and now imagine Evoque at 30-35 Lakhs ex showroom price?
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 21:49   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
The success of this is in pricing. I have currently rented out a Jeep Compass in US and just completed a 1000miles drive over the weekend.
Dear Vikrantj,

From your pic, it seems you have rented the previous model of the Compass, indeed a vehicle which had it's fair share of niggles. Th new model (promises) to iron out these pitfalls and more, so I hear.
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 22:08   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
By not launching all the variants simultaneously, Jeep is likely to lose a lot of potential customers. Lack of automatics and petrol options could really hurt. Petrol options would have allowed Jeep to start with a lower asking price which opportunity they have lost. How many people opt for a manual tranny in the higher segments?

It could become too late to salvage sales if the automatics and petrol options are unduly delayed as the opening sales is what will differentiate between a hit and a flop. How crazy can some decisions be? Time will tell ��
I'm sure you do realize this is a "Turbo-GDI Petrol" engine and not a Natural Aspirated petrol engine.
So don't expect the prices of the Turbo Petrol to be lower than the entry level diesel engine. It may be well between the base & base +1 diesel variant.

Also the Brezza is sold currently in Diesel engine option "as of now" and yet the sales number does not reflect any loss to Maruti (except that with Petrol the waiting period of Brezza will only shoot up)

SUV is synonymous to Diesel primarily, the petrol penetration is low even in Ecosport, Creta & Duster to name a few.

Again this is a FCA vehicle, can't really vouch for efficiency (owing to tank like built)
The Linea & Punto T-Jet (simple Turbo) aren't too great in terms of Fuel efficiency, which may turn out to be a deal breaker as well if the Jeep isn't too Fuel efficient

After all India is a country where in the first question is "Kitna deti hai"

Last edited by FIAT3031 : 18th June 2017 at 22:10. Reason: updating point
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 22:57   #561
Senior - BHPian

The moment I saw Compass, felt very happy, as this could potentially be my next ride. More so when people here started to speculate a launch price that would put Creta to shame! I think Compass is the perfect CAR (Well SUV, but I don't want to get bashed for calling it so) for me. I got the Ecosport and made a mistake of calling it an SUV. Just to avoid debate, I started calling it C-SUV/Urban SUV etc. Time flew, the debate still continues and I bought Endeavour 2.2 Titanium. Made a bigger mistake this time, called it a full size SUV and along came bashing- It does not have 4X4, what on earth makes you call it a S.U.V? So I will call Compass a CAR as the term SUV is so elusive and better be avoided.

My needs are pretty simple:
1. Has to have good space, being a 7 seater is plus.
2. Has to have decent GC. No I don't intend to take to RFC/climb Mt.Everest. I need something that can take me through mud roads, bad roads, road humps without scrapping belly.
3. Has to ride well.
4. Has to have minimum 2 airbags, ABS along with other basic feature set.
5. Has to be 20lac or less on road.

I test drove Hexa, XUV and Innova . XUV has a brilliant engine but felt too crude. The Hexa on other hand exceeded my expectation but the T badge and looks (which are subjective) didn't appeal. Wish it had come with Green oval badge.
So it had to be Innova. I know it has its own niggles, but the T badge here is too strong and I can also buy it with captain seats in middle.Enter Compass, in comparison it loses seats but seem to ride better. Loses an airbag but gets punchier engine with 6 speed gearbox. Yes, it gets a music system with steering controls but loses Alloy wheels. At the moment with shattering pricing (speculated) both seem to be punching blows evenly. These two belong to different category, so what? i am not going to be concerned on what they will be called. The one which ticks most of my requirements shall win. Thanks to GST and arrogant Toyota, I have time to relax and wait until Compass is launched.
P.S: I am comparing the Innova 2.4GX and Compass Sport 2.0 here.

Does anyone here know what is the possible service interval for 2.0 MJD? As I know,the MJD's are generally expensive to maintain and would be interesting to see the service costs for 2.0 MJD.

Last edited by PrideRed : 18th June 2017 at 23:01.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 23:00   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
The ground clearance of Jeep Compass is 208 mm and the 153 mm advertised figure is due to change in norms, which requires a load of 400 kg. (Who comes up with such novel ideas? )

That's primarily the reason that the newly launched VW Tiguan advertised GC is only 149mm. The norm is quite misleading. Not everyone moves around with 400 kgs onboard specially during off-roading stunts. If they want to mention the laden GC then they must also mention the unladen GC as well so as to give a clearer picture.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 23:10   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Hearing from my sources - FCA is preparing to roll out the India-spec Jeep Compass at a starting price of Rs 16 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi, for the base (Sport) variant.

So, to all those who were predicting this pricing point earlier in the thread, it's time to rejoice.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 23:20   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hearing from my sources - FCA is preparing to roll out the India-spec Jeep Compass at a starting price of Rs 16 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi, for the base (Sport) variant.

So, to all those who were predicting this pricing point earlier in the thread, it's time to rejoice.
If this is indeed true, then we can expect an AT combo in diesel within 20L Ex-Showroom , whenever it launches. I for one, very keen on picking up an AT Diesel SUV within 25Lakhs OTR, where there is no gameplay now. Was leaning towards X1 if GST perks will get me base model for 30, but it didn't ..so will wait and watch for this one to pan out
Old 18th June 2017, 23:41   #565
BHPian

Quote:

For once in recent times, someone has hit a sweet spot in terms of pricing (I'm talking to you - Creta, Tuscon, Tiguan and many more).
16-20L, even if introductory, represents good value in an otherwise empty segment. Over to the marketing team now to make this common knowledge and Compass should do more than just alright.
r0nit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 01:50   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Does anyone here know what is the possible service interval for 2.0 MJD? As I know,the MJD's are generally expensive to maintain and would be interesting to see the service costs for 2.0 MJD.
Dear PrideRed, how do you know MJDs are generally expensive to maintain?
I ask this not in an offensive tone, but as a Linea owner who has done 110000 km on the mjd.

The engine is robust and trouble free.

The service interval of MJD in linea is 15000 km. However, Maruti hand Tata, and Chevrolet which used the 3 cylinder version, all recommend 10000 km. In the long run, my Fiat is much cheaper to maintain than swift.

In the normal course, if you stick to the maintenance schedule recommended, you can be assured that MJD will serve you for at least 200000+ km before you need to open the head.

And trust me it's one engine that has only gotten better with age so far. If you are in Bangalore, you can see how my car feels after 110000 on the odo.

Edit: It's another matter that a couple of dealer service points tried to pull off fast ones by inflating the bills. Such dealerships must be closed. In the end, if we know our car and are diligent and vigilant, we can save ourselves from these people. They not only cheat their customers, they also tarnish the image of the car brand.

We also see people say "Xxxxxx brand is easy/cheap to maintain" and some other brand is expensive... Most of these are perceptions people carry from hearsay, and only when we delve into facts we can understand the reality

Last edited by autocrat : 19th June 2017 at 02:04. Reason: Additional info
autocrat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 04:56   #567
BHPian

Quote:

That would indeed be a sweet spot assuming they won't go overboard in pricing the higher trims. We need more underdog/skeptic brands with good products who can keep the market honest 😀
Old 19th June 2017, 06:20   #568
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hey, does anyone know when they intend to offer the "trailhawk" version of the Compass? That would b the one to wait for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Father's Day message from Jeep -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
[url===iw1aT5c1Lus[/URL]

If ever I consider the Jeep Compass, I too would buy nothing less than the fully loaded Trailhawk
Version.

I really love that Father's Day message from Jeep but had I been the designer I would have ensured that the 'great grand daddy of them all, the humble WW2 Jeep', was definitely in the picture...

Yes I guess the Compass is to the Cherokee as te Evoque is to the Range Rover.

Lets see, there is no hurry to buy it today.
Will wait for a few to get on the road and then look for the Renegade launch and by then there may even be a few Wranglers out in the second hand market!

One day I would want a real Jeep but I am prepared to wait.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th June 2017 at 10:59. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube links while replying, affects readability especially on mobile devices. Thanks.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:22   #569
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

So after having followed this thread from the beginning , there has been a lot of excitement.

Now we know that the Compass had excellent fit and finish , Great ride and steering , good amounts of power/torque , good safety kit and a lot of missing features.

Haven't seen any book or buy decisions on our forum as yet ? Though I am not a great advocate of booking without seeing the vehicle , I do remember a lot of our forum members had booked the Creta before launch.

So is it because it's a Jeep/FCA , a lot of us are waiting and watching ?

For me definitely ,the unavailability of the auto box that is a deterrent. Hope Jeep is reading this and will make the auto available at the earliest. At an expected 25- 30 lakhs OTR , not many consumers will want the manual in this price segment.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 19th June 2017 at 08:24.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:36   #570
Team-BHP Support

Senapati Bapat road has one of the most expensive real estate space on lease. Recent casualties of automotive dealerships that moved away from this very rental space include:

- Mahalaxmi Auto - Maruti Suzuki
- Singh Auto - Chevrolet
- Planet Exclusiv - Volvo
- Planet Ford - Ford

Among others. But guess who decided to open the largest automotive dealership in this space? FCA! Swanky, smart looking dealership is under works for the upcoming launch of the Compass. Seems like FCA and their dealers are spending big bucks to grab a fair bit of market share!

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_8625.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_8626.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_8627.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th June 2017 at 08:38.
moralfibre is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed