Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 12:34   #61
BANNED

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

SVP just drove the TrailHawk Compass in USA

Here it is
http://m.carandbike.com/reviews/jeep...-india-1689018

Would have been better to see a variant or drivetrain that is actually coming to india, but I guess that's the only combo available right now in USA.
Old 5th May 2017, 15:12   #62
BHPian

I have heard that AT version will come after 3-4 months of launch, that could be in July/Aug. So we are looking at Oct/Nov time frame for an AT.

Is someone else getting similar news?
Old 5th May 2017, 17:53   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
The Compass measures 4,398 mm in length, 1,819 mm in width and 1,667 mm in height. It has a wheelbase of 2,636 mm and ground clearance of 178 mm. This puts it between the Hyundai Creta and the larger Tucson in terms of length and width. However, with the technology on offer, we expect the car to be priced at par with (or higher than?) the Tucson.
The size and dimension specs point to it being a bit larger than the Yeti.
It seems almost similar to the previous generation Hyundai Tucson which was sold between 2005-2010 in India.
It also seems similar in size to the Duster and Q3.

I'd like very much to be able to put it to my personal 'lateral golf bag placement' test which helps establish the utility value of the boot space with all seats in the Up position.

Looks like a nice vehicle irrespective of my own grumblings in the past.

If it is priced the way everyone here is wishing it will be, then it can easily smack the Creta and its ilk right in the face!

However, lets wait!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th May 2017 at 08:01.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 19:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
There seems to be a lot of buzz around the Jeep Compass as heard recently from multiple people about its upcoming launch.

As it goes Jeep has a great pedigree and Compass must be a very good vehicle on its own.
Yes, Jeep has pedigree. In the fall of 1983 in the US, American Motors Corporation (AMC) launched the Jeep Wagoneer, the first automatic 4x4 SUV (the term was not invented then) loaded with features such as cruise control etc and luxurious interiors. I (a student then) drove the Jeep Wagoneer (or was it the Grand Wagoneer?) quite a few times and at times for very long drives, as this was procured by the FIL of a friend of mine, and I became very close to the family and accompanied them in many long trips.

This is what the wiki says of the Jeep Wagoneer:

Quote:
The Jeep Wagoneer is the first luxury 4x4, sold and produced for Jeep through numerous marques from 1963 to 1991.[4] A "sport utility vehicle" (SUV) for decades before the term was even coined, the 4WD Wagoneer saw only minor mechanical changes during its 28-year plus production run, the third longest in U.S. automotive history.[5]

Introduced in November 1962 (1963 model year) as a successor to the Willys Jeep Station Wagon that had been built since the end of World War II, the Wagoneer pioneered the sport utility vehicle concept. In spite of its pickup truck chassis and boxy shape it was more carlike than any 4x4 on the market.[6] Compared with offerings from General Motors, International Harvester, and Land Rover — which were producing utilitarian work-oriented vehicles with spartan truck-like interiors — the Wagoneer's luxury set it apart. Based on the Jeep SJ platform, the revolutionary Wagoneer sported an advanced overhead cam straight-six engine, and offered features unheard of at the time in any other mainstream 4WD vehicle, such as an independent front suspension,[7] power steering, and automatic transmission.[8][9]

The Wagoneer made its debut seven years before Land Rover launched its Range Rover in Great Britain, and 24 years before that upscale marque appeared in the United States. It was replaced by the smaller Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Let me share my views on the Wagoneer I drove. It was a typical American huge car - very quiet and comfortable, but not very performance-oriented, of course was able to handle offroading. At that time, I was just developing into an enthusiast, and was not too impressed with the driving dynamics. However, I liked the nice interiors and the creature comforts that I did not witness directly before.

Of course, this was still early days for such cars. I hope the driving dynamics and response of the Compass would be a lot lot better. By the way, the FIL did not like the car too much either, and got an Isuzu 4x4 about 3 years later. The Isuzu was a lot cruder inside out.

Mods: If you find my post inappropriate for this thread, kindly remove. Just wanted to share that the history of Jeep goes back a long way, even much before the Wagoneer mentioned above.
asitkde is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 17:32   #65
BHPian

Just watched this nice video of the Jeep Compass production at the Ranjangaon plant on Motown

Have a look

Transporter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 17:48   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
178 mm Ground Clearance?! for a Jeep!! Im speechless
Seriously. The Renault Kwuid has higher GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The ride height should be more. My guess is its like the new gen Scorpio, which on paper mentions its GC to be 165mm or Xuv500 which mentions 160mm but their ride heights are far more.
Sorry, what do you mean by ride height and how does it relate to GC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
When I connected with the FCA team, I was clarified that 178 mm is the LADEN WEIGHT GC, not the actual GC. Apparently there are certain norms in place in which OEMs have to quote ONLY laden weight ground clearance.
If the norms are true, how is Duster reporting 205 mm, Endeavour reporting 230mm and Kwid reporting 180mm. Does this mean the the true GC of these vehicles are about 20 to 30 mm higher? I doubt it.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 17:53   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

If the norms are true, how is Duster reporting 205 mm, Endeavour reporting 230mm and Kwid reporting 180mm. Does this mean the the true GC of these vehicles are about 20 to 30 mm higher? I doubt it.

The Gypsy has a ground clearance of 210 and the Yeti 180mm.
Unladen is what Im thinking because when fully loaded both vehicles sink down perceptibly as per my own experience with them both.

The New Endeavour by the way claims a wading depth of 800mm!
Amazing eh?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 18:05   #68
BHPian

A little birdie tells me that training for Fiat staff starts from 15th May onwards and the car is planned to be launched in the first week of June. If this is true ( I have my doubts on the June launch date), then booking should start anytime after 15th may. This makes two cars open for booking- 2017 Octy and this one. Interesting decision.
Old 6th May 2017, 18:28   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, what do you mean by ride height and how does it relate to GC?
Hi,
technically ride height and ground clearance are almost same. What i meant was the ground clearance of the Jeep Compass was likely not been measured from the height of the axle which is mostly done. The Scorpio and Xuv500 also denotes low ground clearance like the Jeep Compass. The Ground clearance of Renault Kwid is 180mm but the new Gen Scorpio has 165mm on paper, so can we expect the terrain a Scorpio can cover without any underbelly hits, the Kwid can do the same?

As i mentioned in my last post-
Quote:
Ground clearance is taken from the lowest part of the car from the ground.
From the below pic it looks like the GC has been measured from the protrusion (air deflector) below the front bumper to reduce air drag in higher speeds. Generally these parts can be removed or taken care off, before going for offroading. So hope this wont be an issue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...compass-13.jpg
Edit- Though these all are assumptions from our side, the actual capability of the Jeep Compass will be revealed when some one takes it off the road and gives us a first hand report!

Last edited by Samba : 6th May 2017 at 18:47.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 07:35   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Hi. The Ground clearance of Renault Kwid is 180mm but the new Gen Scorpio has 165mm on paper, so can we expect the terrain a Scorpio can cover without any underbelly hits, the Kwid can do the same?

!

Actually one would be quite surprised at the amount of abuse and off road, rutted track, slushy or stony ground usage and the kind of steep inclines that the humble Maruti 800 and the Maruti Van etc can take!

I have personally seen plenty of this evidence in the 1980's and 1990's in the hills.

In the Nilgiris and in Coorg where we lived at the time, the way these little vehicles managed pretty much anything their owners threw at them was to be seen to be believed!

Even in rural France, the way they use the old Citroen 2CV for pretty much anything and everything, has to be seen to be believed. Like I said above, steep cobbled streets, rutted tracks and slush and stony ground near the farms and steep inclines with loose surfaces etc.

Hence, given the light weight and high ground clearance of the Renault Kwid, if one were to use it roughly, I think one would be in for a very pleasant surprise indeed!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 14:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Actually one would be quite surprised at the amount of abuse and off road, rutted track, slushy or stony ground usage and the kind of steep inclines that the humble Maruti 800 and the Maruti Van etc can take!
Cant agree more with you.
I had an old gen Alto and a K10 earlier and have taken part in some softroading when i used to go for OTR's. The main advantage of these cars were its light weight, small foot print and short wheelbase. Till now these cars are even used in places like Zanskar where Suv's also take a beating.

My prime point regarding Kwid's Gc and Scorpio's Gc was, suppose one is moving on a narrow road and one has to negotiate over some boulders. In that case the chances of underbelly hit is more in a Kwid than a Scorpio, though on paper Kwid is 180mm but scorpio is 165mm. As the Jeep Compass has 4x4 option, lets hope it to be a similar case like the Scorpio.

Regarding the capability of kwid on bad roads, i have no doubt on its capability. Its a very capable vehicle. 180mm GC with small wheel base, adequate power and light weight can take you places! May be it will fare better than some cars like Ecosport or Brezza in some particular terrain! Short wheel base is a boon on bad roads.

Last edited by Samba : 7th May 2017 at 14:31.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 16:36   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Cant agree more with you.
Short wheel base is a boon on bad roads.
Absolutely right. The short chassis is really a boon, even over these elephantine speed breakers in India. Add some suspension dampers and it will be even better. Thats why I love the Yeti and the Gypsy. And incidentally there are quite a few people (mostly rallyists and racers) who have further "cut short" the Gypsy's chassis to make it an even shorter wheel base and put in a half cabin on it as well, to reduce the weight and yet afford some protection.

I think the Kwid, being French designed, will be just bang on, in its 1 litre avatar, in the hills and on rough roads. Much more than those silly quasi, pretentious, SUV/ Crossover - esque things like the Polo Cross or Etios Cross etc.

Of course, the Kwid being quite tiny, I would not want to try leaping boulders in it, for fear of destroying the tranny and the underbelly!

But for most normal use cases in the hills and rural areas, like the 2CV, it will surely do well. As with the M800 and Omni-Van etc. Front wheel drive also helps a lot, unless it is deeply bogged down in slush.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th May 2017 at 16:38.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 12:02   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously. The Renault Kwuid has higher GC.

Hi,

The Kwid does NOT have a higher GC. If you visit the site, you can clear see that they've mentioned UNLADED GC is 180 mm:
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2.jpg

For Duster & Endeavour I checked, they've not specified if it's laden or unladen, but clearly, these are unladen GC numbers:
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

So technically, the 180 mm GC of Compass for 5 adults is quite amazing actually.

Regards,
Rohan Sachar
rohansachar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 19:14   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
So technically, the 180 mm GC of Compass for 5 adults is quite amazing actually.
But, Jeep has not specified if it is laded or unladed, so I guess we are believing what we would like to believe. Anyways, I hope you are correct, cause 178 is pathetic for the jeep brand. Unless it is required, by law, I don't see why any manufacturer will say glass is half empty instead of half full.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 8th May 2017 at 19:15.
Old 9th May 2017, 09:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
But, Jeep has not specified if it is laded or unladed, so I guess we are believing what we would like to believe. Anyways, I hope you are correct, cause 178 is pathetic for the jeep brand. Unless it is required, by law, I don't see why any manufacturer will say glass is half empty instead of half full.
Hi,

As I already mentioned, this was clarified to me by the FCA team. I guess we can wait for the official website to mention clarification of this detail.

Regards,
Rohan Sachar
rohansachar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed