re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

PowerDrift Video Review :

Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 10:17   #782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Considering R17 tyres and overall dimensions of the vehicle, I found the GC of 178 mm to be slightly on the lower side. Ritz & Swift has 170 mm, S Cross has 180 mm and Brezza has 198 mm.
All this confusion because of ARAI. They changed the rules for measuring GC in 2017, and currently it is measured using laden weight.

So you cant compare it with earlier products. What we do know is that Compass is 178mm, Tiguan is 153mm and Fortuner is 184mm as per the new measurement.

I guess Compass should be around 215 - 220mm as per the earlier measurement, comparing international versions and the GC difference between old and the new Fortuner due to the rules. But we can only guess.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...en-weight.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th June 2017 at 10:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 11:51   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
All this confusion because of ARAI. They changed the rules for measuring GC in 2017, and currently it is measured using laden weight.

So you cant compare it with earlier products. What we do know is that Compass is 178mm, Tiguan is 153mm and Fortuner is 184mm as per the new measurement.

I guess Compass should be around 215 - 220mm as per the earlier measurement, comparing international versions and the GC difference between old and the new Fortuner due to the rules. But we can only guess.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...en-weight.html

Thanks for the info. It's quite confusing and I was wondering how it could be so low considering that we are talking about its water wading and off roasting capabilities. However, as a fellow Bhpian in this thread has measured the GC by using his mobile phone and it is surprising to see that the front bumper's lowest point is actually 180 mm (same as the height of the mobile phone), though that portion can be removed apparently as per the SA. I hope it's actually above 200 mm going by the earlier measurement standards.
Old 25th June 2017, 12:12   #784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Thanks for the info. It's quite confusing and I was wondering how it could be so low considering that we are talking about its water wading and off roasting capabilities.
All these numbers don't matter. GC doesn't explain the real clearance. Please refer to these old discussions here and here.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 12:32   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the online booking fully refundable?
Old 25th June 2017, 14:33   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
[*]It has presence. Definitely more than Creta but the XUV and Hexa are more imposing.
This is a very subjective opinion, if you ask me Creta & Compass Vs XUV & Hexa are two different segments to start with, I don't compare cars based on pricing FYI.

Quote:
[*]Doors feel heavy and solid. This car is heavy! Close to 1.7 tonnes is actually overweight. We make fun of Tata not being able to do weight reduction in a modern car. Jeep is equally worse or well off depending on your preference.
I would anyday prefer a well built no compromise car for our Indian conditions which are quite harsh, starting with the two wheelers in city to chassis cracking potholes. Again weight is not the key thing, but how it carries the weight and let me assure you this car is fantastic in that.

Quote:
[*]In essence it is a compact crossover fighting above it's weight.
why? Because it is going to be priced high? I still believe FCA will surprise us with a great pricing. Trust me it has 200% potential to kill EcoSport and Cretas of the world, if priced right.

Quote:
[*]Door sills are super wide. To get in is a pain for elders. The floor is also higher than even my Ecosport.
Something which I noticed but honestly is NOT a deal breaker if you ask me, infact it is better than straight up sides which actually hits elders foot while getting out. This is easy slide in & out.

Quote:
[*]Rear seats are comfortable with good underthigh support. But they are more upright than what I like even in the last position.
Very subjective again, the seat position you prefer is laid back and a back break position. If you prefer long distance comfort and save your back, this is the best angle I have seen in quiet a while.

Quote:
[*]Major ergonomic flaw for tall people. I'm 6 feet tall. I raised the rear headrest to the highest position and the bottom corner edge of the headrest pierces my neck spinal bone. I can't sit behind in this car effectively ever. Ampere and Jaggu didn't have this problem
This is an issue which we never noticed before since both of us who went for the drive had shorter upper torso. But should be super easy to rectify.

Quote:
[*]ECU located above the engine in firewall. I didn't like the position due to heat. It's right above the engine and I know ECU's are sealed with heat sinks and I test such components inside the ECU at 125-140C but I also know they work best at room temp or cooler. Jaggu said good for water wading which I agree but next to battery is better position imo.
Come on! you are now guessing the thermal dynamics inside the engine bay, the battery is closer to the hotter parts whereas the ECU might be in an open space with cool drafts when vehicle is operating. Nitpicking if you ask me.

Quote:
The price will make or break this car. Tucson pricing = very difficult. Overlap with Creta and inch close to lower variant of Tucson and it could just click.
Honestly I wouldn't even compare Tucson with this car. It has to be well below Tucson starting and ending price! Next two quotes got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The price can be looked as the following:

- Compass is smaller compared to Tucson. Tucson is also more comfy, car like and more featured.

- So if one wants to buy a 2WD version, why would one buy a similar priced Compass if not a Tucson.
Quote:
I noted this, but wife was pretty sure it's due to the long seat base of the Compass. I don't remember it exactly, but she does because she particularly checks for back seat on all the vehicles we test.
The flat area is less due to angular edges.

They have Offroad rubber mats and that will give you a better perspective as to why there is a feeling of less foot area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
After visiting Jeep Compass, I visited VW for Vento software upgrade, noticed Tiguan Comfortline is much better than Jeep compass on features and interior, probably everything in my view

Now all three end up looking at Creta and with half hearted..
It is and it is totally not worth it, if jeep is going to be 10 Lakh cheaper. Tiguan at current pricing is pointless.

Quote:
I guess Compass should be around 215 - 220mm as per the earlier measurement
Around 210 mm rather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All these numbers don't matter. GC doesn't explain the real clearance.
Another fact ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is the online booking fully refundable?
Pretty sure it is and expect a flood of refunds as the pricing crosses 20 Lakhs
Jaggu is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 15:01   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot has been discussed about pricing and I just finished reading couple of pages. This is my view.

Base variant diesel (ex-showroom price)

16 lakhs : This thread would become more hot. Expect many praises and more bookings.

18 lakhs : There would be lot of arguments. Expect some cancellations. Few will justify the price and go ahead.

20 lakhs : I would see many protesting here. Expect lot of cancellations.

Jeep Compass has created a lot of hype and wide price range is being discussed here.. Let's assume it would have a killer pricing and run away success : If so, what's the production capacity??

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 25th June 2017 at 15:02.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 15:07   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Let's assume it would have a killer pricing and run away success : If so, what's the production capacity??
Actually you are asking the question backwards.

The price is decided based on the production capacity. If their capacity is low, the price will be high. I have discussed it here.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 15:13   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The price is decided based on the production capacity. If their capacity is low, the price will be high. I have discussed it
True that!!

But, we have seen many instances where there was huge demand and production capacity of the Manufacturer was not able to meet the same (say long waiting period).

It looks like Jeep is behind numbers for Compass. They were proudly claiming 1000 bookings in 3 days
Old 25th June 2017, 15:23   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
[*]ECU located above the engine in firewall. I didn't like the position due to heat. It's right above the engine and I know ECU's are sealed with heat sinks and I test such components inside the ECU at 125-140C but I also know they work best at room temp or cooler. Jaggu said good for water wading which I agree but next to battery is better position
All FCA cars have the ECU in the same position since ages.

Includes the Punto and Linea in India since 2009. That is their standard location, on the firewall just behind the airbox at the highest position.
DRIV3R is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 15:41   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

why? Because it is going to be priced high? I still believe FCA will surprise us with a great pricing. Trust me it has 200% potential to kill EcoSport and Cretas of the world, if priced right.

Just one question, do you think it is going to kill ecosport if priced 'right'?

What will that right price be? I mean I don't see it making a dent on Ecosport if priced in the current rumoured 15-20 lakh range. Do you feel it may undercut this?

Otherwise, aren't Ecosport and Compass different Segments? Just like Compass and Hexa are?
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:53   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Just one question, do you think it is going to kill ecosport if priced 'right'?

What will that right price be? I mean I don't see it making a dent on Ecosport if priced in the current rumoured 15-20 lakh range. Do you feel it may undercut this?

Otherwise, aren't Ecosport and Compass different Segments? Just like Compass and Hexa are?
Probably 18 L onwards.

How is it going to kill Ecosport?

The vehicle is great but FCA know it too. So may not get those Vitara Brezza or Ecosport killing pricing.

It is a quality product that will command a certain justified price.

Regards
Bharath
Old 25th June 2017, 18:11   #793
Team-BHP Support

The display at Orion Mall, Bangalore.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170625_180600.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 10:23   #794
BHPian

Yesterday checked Compass @KHT Jeep, Domlur

Most of the observations by fellow BHPian's are spot on. Here is my two cents

Good to Great
- Looks awesome, in simple words baby Grand Cherokee
- All the sheet metal parts are quite heavy and durable. In short Compass is built to last.
- Built like a tank and one will feel safe to sit inside
- Outside Compass looks elegant and quite a time less design.
- Inside Cabin feels premium and seats are good place to be in
- All the plastics, rubber beadings, seals, door pads, buttons, controls etc. feels premium and built to last.

Not so Good
- Rear bench space is very disappointing, this is the major negative in the whole vehicle. You feel your co passengers are sitting quite close to you. Vehicles such as Rapid/Vento, City, Ciaz (for that matter all C Segment sedans) rear leg room is quite big.
- Rear doors are felt quite small in size (thanks to squared where arches), for me this is reflecting in rear cabin feel. Rear seats may not be liked by elders and tall people.
- Door sills are quite wide and tapers inside the cabin, which made the rear floor mats so small.
- Rear passengers will not be quite happy, as the back rest inclination is little upright. Younger ones can adjust but elder ones may not like this.
- Rear Passengers will struggle to move their feet around (while seated), main contributors are extra wide (+ tapering) door sill area and front seat adjustment channels/guides.
- Glossy black panel around head unit and dummy buttons on the steering are the only negatives in the whole cockpit area.

Overall Compass is enthusiastic driver's dream come true, but those who are also looking for good rear bench seat will disappoint. Now wait starts for the price announcement.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 26th June 2017 at 10:28.
hillsnrains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 10:46   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a very subjective opinion, if you ask me Creta & Compass Vs XUV & Hexa are two different segments to start with, I don't compare cars based on pricing FYI.

I still believe FCA will surprise us with a great pricing. Trust me it has 200% potential to kill EcoSport and Cretas of the world, if priced right.

Honestly I wouldn't even compare Tucson with this car. It has to be well below Tucson starting and ending price
Fie. Fie. Pure heresy. How dare you!! . Didn't you know that many of the forum members wouldn't buy the compass if it was priced anywhere close to creta? Lesser mortals would have had to face the full spanish inquisition just to have mentioned creta and compass in the same line!
ashlil is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks