Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 13:32   #811
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
A bit off topic : Ford could have put up a good fight had they brought in Kuga. Ford could have retained a sizeable chunk of Ecosport customers looking for an upgrade. Right now those customers who bought in ₹ 8-12 lakh segment has nothing to upgrade in the ₹ 14- 20 segment, they have to go higher and not many would be able to dole out double the amount for a new car. I'm intrigued why Ford chose not to bring the Kuga here.

Right now it looks like Compass is gonna runaway with the segment till Maruti brings something like a Brezza against Ecosport. Even someone like me who is very conservative when changing cars is having second thoughts with regard to Compass. I would have jumped in if I haven't read this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html ( Warning : Reading this thread has inherent risks involved! Read at your own risk that you may end up not buying a new car for a long time.)
Completely agree, we need a good SUV between 15L Creta Top model and 21.xx Lakh Tucson.
Old 27th June 2017, 14:19   #812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Who did the proof reading ?
Was it done by someone in the paint booth as it was pain to get the roof done in black?

The variant I saw in showroom was 'LIMITED', but without the pain of the black roof. So not the (O).

However, it had projector headlamps which didn't look like HID. So I guess all lower variants gets halogen projector headlamps, except for their Limited(O) which gets HID projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Same is the reason why a Honda City AT in Bangalore costs near 17L OTR (I think if I am not wrong) !!
Wrong. It costs 17.5 now for the AT and 17.7L for the diesel, on road Bangalore including extended warranty, zero dep insurance and RSA.

Some other shocker figures (All for Bangalore BHP'ians, all on-road Bangalore) -

Brezza Zdi + - 12.77L.

Creta 1.6 SX (Base) - 15.9L.
Creta 1.6 SX+ - 17.17L.
Creta 1.6 SX(o) - 18.5L.

Tucson 2.0 MT - 27.68L.
Tucson 2.0 CRDi GLS AT - 31.9L.

Tiguan Comfortline - 35.73L.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th June 2017 at 14:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 15:13   #813
BHPian

Ok, so many pics of top end model. Just for reference this is what the base variant looks like Name:  White.png
Views: 4497
Size:  99.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post

Came out really impressed.
Soon I was transported back to '90s once inside my Duster

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th June 2017 at 09:24. Reason: Only two smileys per post.
anil_neo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:32   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Some other shocker figures (All for Bangalore BHP'ians, all on-road Bangalore) -

Brezza Zdi + - 12.77L.
This is close to 80K up(Zdi+) from its launch price. And the sale never slowed down despite this price increase.
Old 27th June 2017, 16:59   #815
BHPian

I happened to come across a US consumer reports list of cars that customers regretted buying and Jeep Compass was in the list. Most of cars in the list were from Fiat-Chrysler group and Nissan. How did Jeep Compass perform in other markets on the sales and reliability fronts?
Posting this as alternate view for consideration and not to run down Jeep Compass.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...regret-buying/
altius is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 17:11   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Pics credit TAI member aks_hyd.
The base looks like a VFM for those not interested in 4x4. It has all the safety features (excluding curtain/side airbags). With tyre/alloy upgrade, this will be a good deal.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 17:13   #817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
Posting this as alternate view for consideration and not to run down Jeep Compass.

As per the report -

Quote:
Lackluster performance, a cramped and austere cabin, narrow front seats, and difficult rearward views are just some of the faults we found with Jeep’s small SUV entry. The Compass has lost its way with owners, too. Our survey found that just 42 percent of respondents said they would definitely buy one again. Complaints included feeble acceleration and too much road noise, and it was rated uncommonly poor in overall comfort.
The way I see it -

1. This is for the previous generation Compass. The current one is entirely different car, based on a FIAT platform and with FIAT engines. Whether thats good or bad for the long term? Time will tell.

2. Lackluster performance? Won't be applicable for India with a 170hp diesel and 160hp petrol options.

3. Cramped cabin. Depends on pricing and requirements. It's similar to Creta in interior size even though it is close to Tucson with respect to exteriors. Rear bench is narrow as well and better suited for two. Overall - I felt it's comfortable for four, but cramped for five.

4. Road noise and comfort - Noted in almost all reviews till now to be very good. Will wait for Team Bhp review.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 08:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 17:18   #818
BHPian

US is very different market from India. What is underpowered over there is sold as powerful machine here. What is Plus size here is considered compact in US.The report mentions "Lackluster performance, a cramped and austere cabin, narrow front seats, and difficult rearward views" as the reason for low ratings. What is being sold in India is highly performant, sufficient cabin space and wide enough seats for Indians.

Nothing against US, but I found people over there to be of plus size relative to Indians :P. So no wonder they find Compass seats narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
I happened to come across a US consumer reports list of cars that customers regretted buying and Jeep Compass was in the list. Most of cars in the list were from Fiat-Chrysler group and Nissan. How did Jeep Compass perform in other markets on the sales and reliability fronts?

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...regret-buying/
amit1agrawal is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:14   #819
BHPian

Today i checked out Jeep Compass, the impressions from that might be as follows:

1. It is much more compact than it appears in pictures. I was expecting it to be sized around Koleos that i use currently but it's the size of vitara brezza/creta, maybe slightly larger. Looks truly like a BABY CHEROKEE. And i dont say that in a good way.

2. Build quality seemed very solid and reminded me of the fiats but with much better material quality than the fiats overall; but apart from seats, overall fit/finish and design didn't feel like any of the premium cars like Q3, GLA, etc. So, overall gave me the feeling of being a SUV from Fiat and not the Jeep. There was also a SRT standing there which also i checked and it felt like a true Jeep.

3. Space inside seemed good enough for people of average size but 6 footers and above might find it little cramped i guess. Also the car felt a strict four seater, five adults will be a squeeze i guess.

4. Pricing:
With the overall impression being that of a slightly larger, not so premium hatchback instead of a proper SUV (i feel the same about creta and company too ), with good 4x4 ability, i expect it to be priced below 20 L (For diesel Limited O version) on the road to be a decent success. Later, trailhawk variant with diesel 4x4 AT, sunroof, all the bells and whistles can command up-to 23L on the road.
Given the fact that fiat is manufacturing it here, such pricing should be easily possible. Anything higher and top end variants will get compared to the German compact SUVs and ultimately fail because of relative lack of brand value as well as aftersales support.

But, i felt much much better in my 4x4 AT Koleos with Bose playing my favorite tracks while returning back, so its not getting replaced by Compass for sure

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 08:33.
46TheDoctor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:23   #820
BHPian

I happened to meet one of the FCA staff and he mentioned that it will be 23 Lakhs ex-showroom price for Limited (O) variant. I could not gather any other info.
Old 27th June 2017, 19:20   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
But, i felt much much better in my 4x4 AT Koleos with Bose playing my favourite tracks while returing back, so its not getting replaced by Compass for sure
Just curious, how much does Koleos 4X4 AT costs on road.
Old 27th June 2017, 19:55   #822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Just curious, how much does Koleos 4X4 AT costs on road.
Back in 2014, the facelift was launched at a price of 26L ex showroom against a segment when Fortuner was Rs 21.8L- 23L, Yeti was 15.1 - Rs 18.8 L and Audi Q3 was 24 - 36L.

Had it not been discontinued, probably would have been closer to the Tiguan or higher, where the segment stands now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 07:42   #823
MCR
BHPian

There is now a speculation in the Market that Jeep Compass could be priced below 15 Lakh Rupees. This is for the base variant mostly.

Link to the article : http://www.ibtimes.co.in/gst-impact-...15-lakh-732276

Also, since there is a overall reduction in the tax structure for SUV's they will may be outsell the Sedans in the future!
Old 28th June 2017, 08:59   #824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Also, since there is a overall reduction in the tax structure for SUV's they will may be outsell the Sedans in the future!
Which is already the case.

In May 2017, SUVs sold 18% as against sedans at 14%. They rule every segment they are present in, except for the small hatchback and compact sedan category.

C1 segment is ruled by Brezza.
C2 segment by Creta.
D1 by XUV 5OO.
D2 by Fortuner.

And they all outsell what their sedan counterparts in each segment sell each month, combined.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 09:11   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

No car in the recent past has managed to set these levels of excitement for pricing as has the Jeep Compass, I'm betting any pricing is going to disappoint at this point due to varied expectations. Fiat must be enjoying the proceedings, they've given out cars for t.v channels, put it out on display, had it reviewed dozens of times and YET, the pricing seems to be their least priority.

Out with it already! Those who like it will buy it and those who don't, won't.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks