Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2017, 15:41   #841
Senior - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Other points:
Saw this instruction sticker on the fuel lid. Wondered what the 10s meant.
So that you get all the fuel (till the last drop) you paid for

I think it is to avoid small spill when you take out the nozzle immediately.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:54   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

You are absolutely correct in this case. You must be wondering why this signage so in the Compass and not other cars? It is because Compass does not have any cap to cover the hole where you insert the nozzle. It is simply covered by the outside lid. Though there is a auto retractable lid which is placed inside the fuel pipe. Hence if the fuel attendant take out the nozzle without completely emptying the fuel in the fuel pipe the inside lid shuts the pipe and the fuel will get spilled.

I hope you understand!
SpoiledBratt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 15:57   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Thanks for explaining this. Yes it did make sense that way; but the question still remains what is unique about Jeep that I have not come across this instruction before. Or could it be due to employing a auto-valve based closure to the fuel tank Jeep Compass has, as opposed to a screw type lid? Will the valve not close properly in the long run due to few drops of fuel getting accumulated each time the nozzle is pulled out?

Now just because they have put an instruction, I can expect to wait a minute longer than usual behind a Jeep Compass at a bunk; what with all new car owners generally gripped by OCD!

Last edited by noopster : 28th June 2017 at 19:16. Reason: Please do not use acronyms for car names, e.g. JCMP
Old 28th June 2017, 16:04   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Other points:
Saw this instruction sticker on the fuel lid. Wondered what the 10s meant.
wait for 10 seconds, from the time the fuel is stopped delivering, before the Fuel Deliverer is withdrawn from the Tank mouth?

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 16:11   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
On the other hand, if the car is mechanically same as the higher versions, then I would prefer to install an aftermarket head unit with maps (as against the limitations of Apple car play) and nice seat covers to cover the white, which may be anyway more difficult to maintain
+1. Function over the form. If its mechanically identical with all the safety features, independent rear suspension etc. then seat fabric and HU shouldn't be a deal breaker IMO .
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 17:18   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Today i checked out Jeep Compass, the impressions from that might be as follows:
With all due respect , you are comparing sub 4 meter cars with a size larger car, so don't really get the connect regarding Vitara Brezza. As per me it looks wider , taller and longer than a Creta.

Plus this one has sizeable road presence compared to the baby SUV's we have in the segment right now.

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2017 at 08:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 18:42   #847
BHPian

It' s still a big surprise to me that cars costing upwards of 20L still can't seat 5 people comfortably.
I would rather buy a Punto Abarth/ GT Tsi and a Gypsy/Thar instead of plonking all my money on a car which costs so much and would still pressure me to buy a second car for a comfortable journey with my family.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 18:54   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
It' s still a big surprise to me that cars costing upwards of 20L still can't seat 5 people comfortably.
I would rather buy a Punto Abarth/ GT Tsi and a Gypsy/Thar instead of plonking all my money on a car which costs so much and would still pressure me to buy a second car for a comfortable journey with my family.
The cost of a car has no bearing to its seating capacity, else a Rolls would have as much seating capacity as a big bus. In fact many sports cars costing 2+Cr can only seat 2 persons.
We normally buy cars for a certain purpose - ease of use, prestige, off-roading and at a budget that we consider reasonable with our aspirations.

If you want an off-roader, get a Wrangler and if you want a 5/7 seater an Innova and if you want a personal transport for a single person get an Alto for its small size.. Many prefer to get a smaller SUV just to traverse our pot holed roads in peace. For a person driving alone or at most with two passengers most of the time a 5/7 seater is not desirable, especially at the cost of maneuverability and ease of parking of a smaller vehicle.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 08:29.
Aroy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 01:28   #849
BANNED

Went to the Jeep Showroom to casually see the Compass in reality.

One word to describe the car from outside: Gorgeous

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-3.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-5.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-6.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-7.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-8.jpg

Some Points (may be repeat of what other have posted)
  • Showroom had only 3 families in. Not much of rush or sorts. May be I am late to the display @ showroom so the hype would have fizzled out.

• The lady RM/SA whom we met said the ex-showroom prices would be between 18-22L so I am expecting the top end to hit ~25L OTR in Hyderabad. Pricing unveil is next month.

• Car looks brilliant from outside even in the colour that was on display. Killer looks IMO.

• Around 150 bookings received so far;

• Deliveries commencing from End-August / Early-September so if I book now, I'll get the delivery by September.

• No cruise control, No Auto-dimming IRVM, No Auto headlamps, No auto wipers, dummy buttons on the steering wheel. I found it sturdy to hold but overall felt sad to see the dummy.

• Central console seemed to be angled slightly towards passenger side rather having it face the driver.

• The HU felt small in size (It is a 7" but doesn't feel like one). Sound quality was good as some customer was playing music on it.

• Space at the rear is good for 2 adults and a child. But 3 behind is a doubt.

• Boot space is good enough; spare wheel is steel.

• Tyres were Firestone.

• I found the front passenger side footwell too cramped. Shiny looking gear knob would look bad when it wears out with usage.

• My other target car as a replacement for Swift, the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha is much better spec'ed at a much cheaper price. Only disadvantage I can see is the S-Cross is 120 BHP whereas the Compass is 170BHP.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th June 2017 at 01:30.
a4anurag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 08:14   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The cost of a car has no bearing to its seating capacity, else a Rolls would have as much seating capacity as a big bus. In fact many sports cars costing 2+Cr can only seat 2 persons.

We normally buy cars for a certain purpose - ease of use, prestige, off roading and at a budget that we consider reasonable with our aspirations.

If you want an off-roader, get a Wrangler and if you want a 5/7 seater an Innova and if you want a personal transport for a single person get an Alto for its small size.. Many prefer to get a smaller SUV just to traverse our pot holed roads in peace. For a person driving alone or at most with two passengers most of the time a 5/7 seater is not desirable, especially at the cost of maneuverability and ease of parking of a smaller vehicle.
I know that there are luxury cars out there but what I was pointing out was that manufacturers these days seem not to care about rear seat passengers.
If an Alto can seat 4 adult passengers, shouldn't a car costing 5 times more have ample leg and seat room for at least one more person.
I am an owner of a 15+ year old Palio and I can't seem to find a car I like which provides as good a space for rear seat passengers as my Palio does.
Yes, most of the time it wouldn't matter, but on occasions it would, I would be cursing myself for plonking so much money and still traveling in discomfort.
And yes, I should rather look at Innova or Hexa but being a long term happy owner of a Fiat, I would have loved to continue that relationship with them with my next car purchase, hence my disappointment.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 08:30.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 08:37   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I know that there are luxury cars out there but what I was pointing out was that manufacturers these days seem not to care about rear seat passengers.
Not entirely true. In fact, a couple of reviews have pointed out the fact that Jeep has redesigned the rear seat for Indian and Chinese markets to offer better under thigh support. I did feel this to be true. At least for my height, the rear bench was adequately spaced with good support. The fifth passenger is a bit tight because of the contouring of the other 2 seats and the transmission tunnel. My other gripe being the seats being a bit too upright. But what we should take into consideration is that the Compass is a capable driver-focused SUV first, and a people mover second. If space and comfort for the entire family is the priority, Crysta or Hexa would be a better bet.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 09:39   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My other target car as a replacement for Swift, the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha is much better spec'ed at a much cheaper price. Only disadvantage I can see is the S-Cross is 120 BHP whereas the Compass is 170BHP.
S-Cross 1.6 has weight advantage, say around 500 kgs lighter

0-100 : 11.3 (S-Cross 1.6) vs 11.9 (Jeep Compass)
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 09:48   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Not entirely true. In fact, a couple of reviews have pointed out the fact that Jeep has redesigned the rear seat for Indian and Chinese markets to offer better under thigh support. I did feel this to be true. At least for my height, the rear bench was adequately spaced with good support. The fifth passenger is a bit tight because of the contouring of the other 2 seats and the transmission tunnel. My other gripe being the seats being a bit too upright. But what we should take into consideration is that the Compass is a capable driver-focused SUV first, and a people mover second. If space and comfort for the entire family is the priority, Crysta or Hexa would be a better bet.
Yes I would tend to agree here that the Compass has better rear seat comfort than most other cars in this segment. My Yeti had a huge transmission tunnel and also the Ac vents were protruding quite prominently. Same is the case with the Tiguan and even the BMW x1. Most 4x4s will have a large transmission tunnel for the drive shaft.
That said the Compass does have less space than say a CRV which has phenomenal leg space and a flat floor board, at the same price bracket. Even the Honda WRV also has great legroom and a flat floor. With better design it is certainly possible to achieve more legroom in this segment.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 10:22   #854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Aah, let's not get into the timings here, it is not just the timing that matters, the way you get (ease) to 100 & beyond and the feel (if I stomp my right foot, this bad A$$ might just fly off) to get there is at times more important.

As mentioned in 100's of trailing posts, pricing is the key for this product, if priced right (15L OTR Delhi, S Cross retails at 14.XX), it has the potential to kick the butt off S-Cross (Build, Engine are far better on the Compass).

What I see coming from Maruti if this is priced right is -

1) New Avatar S Cross being launched back in the base variants.
2) The newer version not being atrociously priced over the outgoing one.

Last edited by Torquedo : 29th June 2017 at 10:23.
Old 29th June 2017, 10:31   #855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My other target car as a replacement for Swift, the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha is much better spec'ed at a much cheaper price. Only disadvantage I can see is the S-Cross is 120 BHP whereas the Compass is 170BHP.
Same boat. Better spec'd is subjective though, because one offers more cabin aids, while the other has more driver centric features.

SCross 1.6 does have a better touchscreen, automatic wipers, headlamps, IRVM etc. Cruise control is a very important addition as well. Compass, starting with the base variants have ESC, TC, HSA, FSD and Panic brake assist. None of these can be seen inside the cabin though.

Then comes parameters like looks and build quality and the way it rides (need to wait for full Team Bhp review).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
S-Cross 1.6 has weight advantage, say around 500 kgs lighter

These timings are for the AWD version tested I believe? Weight should be less for the 2WD variants and hence should be closer in terms of performance.

Either ways, the highlight of the SCross was not just the performance. It was the European nature of the car along with the performance. Build, mature ride and handling, good highway manners and steering, plus an explosive diesel. Will need to wait and watch how the Compass fares in all of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
2) The newer version not being atrociously priced over the outgoing one.
With Fiat reluctant to produce the engine here, pricing might not be in Maruti's control.

The 1.6 engine and transmission is fully imported whereas the 2.0 is localized now. Over the long run, that might negate the Maruti Suzuki maintenance advantage, not to mention the uncertain future of the 1.6 if the sales continue to remain poor.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th June 2017 at 10:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed