Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 17:29   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Met the Jeep Compass :

I checked Jeep Compass today at Mysore. The showroom was deserted and I was the only customer there

What did I like?

1. Exterior & Build quality : Looks really superb. This car will attract many heads for sure. Build quality is awesome.

2. Steering wheel : The leather wrap feels very premium and steering is good to hold

3. Interior plastics : They feel good to touch at most of the places except at lower portion of dashboard.

4. Front seats : They are very comfortable and good under-thigh support.

5. Clutch felt lighter than my 1.6 S-Cross

6. Safety features not compromised

What did I not like?

1.Rear seats : The seat base is narrow with average thigh support. Also, you sit lower. Shoulder room is also average.

2.Plenty of features missing which are available even in lower segment cars

Some observations :

1. Compass gets frame-less wiper blades

2. ECU is Bosch EDC-17

3. I could spot one lizard and dragon

4. The pricing would be revealed soon. Hint : 24 lakhs on road in Karnataka for top model (4WD)

Few pics :
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162407.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162414.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162437.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162449.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162636.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162821.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170630_162516.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 30th June 2017 at 17:34.
Dr.Naren is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 17:31   #872
BHPian

Saw the compass at the Mumbai, Worli dealership.

It is long but short and compact on the inside. The light grey leather seating felt very good to touch, unlike the one in the Tiguan which had a slightly synthetic feel to it.

Steering felt nice and solid, gear shifts smooth although a tad long.
The faux buttons on the right steering spoke are horrible.

The screen has a fairly thick border of glossy piano balck finish and is going to smudge like crazy. UI is acceptably responsive.

Drivers Seating position is not bad.
Rear seats don't recline. middle man will get squished a bit. The Duster will be more comfortable. Seats are a little low, and the window line eases up a bit on the rear side. So doesn't feel as airy or as open as the Duster. (altho the grey leather helps)

the kicker is that the sale person claimed that the top end would max out at 18 ex-showroom. I did a double take and asked him if he was sure. He said yes, the OTR Mumbai would be 18-25 depending on trip. Deliveries in August, pricing in a coupla days after GST is rolled out.

Personal opinion, It has the things I value : airbags, safety electronics good lighting etc. Doesnt have things I don't need : sunroof, heated seats, cruise control, etc.

at 18 ex showroom for the top end, I'd pick it over the Creta. Definitely over the Tiguan. Heck, one can buy a Compass plus a Polo instead.
srgntpepper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 17:44   #873
Senior - BHPian

I have been seeing test mules for quite some time on Nagar road in Pune. Yesterday for the first time, I saw a red Compass with temporary registration stickers. It cut across the gloomy evening roads and it seemed like all of the other traffic was standstill while this red flash slowly made its way across.
Something like a photographer clicking a picture with everything else in monochrome keeping this car in red.
Or maybe it was only my perspective, ignoring everything else!

If even a fraction of the interest shown in this thread translates into bookings, it will ensure a good supply chain and a decent future for this car here, considering a service and spare backup. Yes, we have been here before with Fiat, but every time we see a launch the goodwill returns. I hope this time it stays and doesn't disappoint us as on earlier occasions.

Edit: Considering the localisation aspect, it does seem very likely that it might be priced only a little higher than the Creta (which anyway seems overpriced despite the sales numbers). The bigger concern though remains the long term interests of the brand in this region

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th June 2017 at 17:47.
selfdrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 21:42   #874
BHPian

Did a quick trip to Dehradun today and saw a new Jeep showroom coming near Harley davidson showroom..
Old 1st July 2017, 01:14   #875
Team-BHP Support

Some pictures of the base "Sport" variant from the US market. Surprisingly similar spec there as well, no alloy wheels, no fog lamps, fabric seats, no chrome door handles, no chrome lining for the roof beading, no led taillamps, halogen headlamps etc.

I believe the tyre size is 215/65 R16.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-new2017jeepcompasssportfwd85421648364011024.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-new2017jeepcompasssportfwd85421648364031024.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-new2017jeepcompasssportfwd854216483640111024.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-new2017jeepcompasssportfwd85421648364051024.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-new2017jeepcompasssportfwd85421648364021024.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st July 2017 at 01:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 12:10   #876
BHPian

Went to the SB Road Jeep dealership earlier this week (Probably the only one in Pune?)

I own a 2013 Jetta, so my observations are with reference to my car. Please note that these are merely my impressions based on the "feel" of the interiors and the exteriors, so take these with a pinch of salt. And yes, this is probably an apples - oranges comparison.

Where the Jetta scores:
  • The Jeep has nice looking seats and they seem comfortable, however they are slightly less wide and don't have the same level of thigh support as the Jetta.
  • Rear seats of the Jeep are good only for two passengers, third / middle passenger wouldn't find it comfortable for long journeys.
  • The car on the inside definitely feels less wider than the Jetta, though probably the Jeep is slightly wider on the exteriors.
  • Rear legroom is good, but Jetta's is better
  • Jetta's dashboard has a better layout (as with most VW cars)
  • The plastic quality of the Jetta seems better. The soft-touch plastic particularly feels a tad better than the Jeep's.
  • Jetta has better storage spaces on the inside
  • Safety - 6 airbags standard across all variants (In Jeep only the top-end has 6 airbags IIRC)

Where the Compass scores:
  • The build quality - The doors of the Jeep feel heavy, yes they feel heavier than the Jetta's whose doors and the build quality is probably a benchmark for this segment.
  • Ground clearance and off-roading capabilities - No comparison with Jetta.
  • Being an SUV, the driving position is better, getting in and out is also very easy.
  • Looks - Again totally subjective, but the Jeep looks gorgeous. The car looks totally premium from the outside. Also those DRLs are so cool.

So from my perspective, the Jeep doesn't really feel like much of an upgrade if I discount its off-roading capabilities, however if I was in the market today for a car in the D1 segment, I would most likely buy the Jeep.

Now, some thoughts about the price: Again, let me begin by saying that while one is a Sedan and other an SUV, they probably even out each other because both have features that are mutually exclusive. (Jeep: 4x4, adaptive suspension etc.; Jetta: Diesel auto gearbox, Auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers etc.), so I am assuming that the manufacturing cost would not be too different from each other considering most other aspects such as the build quality, fit and finish are similar (I am not an expert on this, so correct me if that comparison is totally wrong!)

The Jetta was priced between 17.5 - 23 Lakhs OTR Pune if I recall correctly. The Jetta, being assembled through the CKD route, attracted more duty as compared to Compass which is locally manufactured, and has a good level of localisation (hence all the GST benefits). Considering this, FCA would do well to price the Jeep a bit lower in the 16-21 Lakhs price range (on the road) in Pune.

Last edited by MandarMax : 1st July 2017 at 12:26.
MandarMax is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 19:06   #877
BHPian

I am hoping, when the TBHP review for the compass comes out - It includes a very thorough off road capabilities section as well - with mud, sand, slush, water coverage - on day one - along with the regular review.
Old 1st July 2017, 19:30   #878
BHPian

Checked the Compass in KHT Bangalore. Found it more compact than i had thought possibly because it was right next to Cherokee SRT. Liked the exteriors a lot. stunning in one word. Slightly disappointed with the interiors. the colour of the leather is too dull to my liking. Less storage space. The boot space is too small compared to my tjet plus. Speakers sounded full and good.

Did anyone notice regular cheap plastics on the rear door?

I have been following this car for over a year now and had high expectation. Little disappointed at this moment. Was earlier thinking of selling my tjet plus and buy one but will now retain my italian beauty for another year or more. Still in mint condition after clocking over 80K. Wife also not excited after seeing compass so will have to postpone the buy.
FamilyTraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:10   #879
BHPian

Interior - Back Seat Space & Off Road

With most people slamming the back seat space ! What I found very surprising !

The below "quote" and "what we liked" from an Australian review of the compass on the back seat space.

I am assuming that regular Australians are as wide and big and tall as Indians if not more.

Quote:
Bigger than Texas
The first impression of the Compass is one of impressive interior space. The front seats boast decent ergonomics, while the second row comfortably accommodates three adults, all with leg and headroom to spare.

What we liked:
• Improved on and off-road dynamics

• More safety and infotainment tech

• Generous back seat and cargo space

where the vehicle’s abilities are certainly unmatched in the segment, and ripe for shaming all but the most focussed off-road SUV.
source - http://www.motoring.com.au/jeep-comp...review-106205/

Wondering - If the Linea with a width of 1730 mm can seat 3 regular adults comfortably - how is it that the Compass cannot with 1813 mm width?
PM - B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:19   #880
BHPian

Well, to sum up.my experience of checking out the Compass in DLF Promenede mall, Delhi today - " I fell in love with it." Although I was looking for a 7 seater go anywhere ( read far off places in Himachal/ Uttarakhand) SUV, Compass is in seious reckoning now for my choice of a new SUV one year down the line.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:21   #881
Team-BHP Support

Re: Interior - Back Seat Space & Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Wondering - If the Linea with a width of 1730 mm can seat 3 regular adults comfortably - how is it that the Compass cannot with 1813 mm width?
Compass sure does back seat space and comfort as good as Linea. But both these cars can't seat five 'in comfort' relatively.

Cars like Duster and SCross offers more space with a flatter rear bench and three people would be more comfortable in these cars. Whereas XUV 5OO, Hexa etc are in another league in terms of cabin width.

Compass does much better than the Linea in terms of rear legroom though, and I feel two people should be able to sit in very good comfort.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:25   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
That is the exterior width. If you consider the rear seat base width : Compass should be lesser than Linea. I found it lesser than my S-Cross too. This is due to the design. Some cars with lesser exterior width have good shoulder room inside. This is done by clever design (thin door pads etc)
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 20:54   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Cars like Duster and SCross offers more space with a flatter rear bench and three people would be more comfortable in these cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
That is the exterior width. If you consider the rear seat base width : Compass should be lesser than Linea.

This is due to the design. Some cars with lesser exterior width have good shoulder room inside. This is done by clever design (thin door pads etc)
I agree -

1. That a flatter rear bench can liberate more lateral space - but why and how would this be considered comfortable - especially on a long drive - compared to bolstered seat - (Non flat)

2. That it is the exterior width :- Design - Thin door pads etc - will contribute to freeing up more space - however - I am surprised that the Linea doors are so thin.

Still Surprising that the Australian Review found the rear suitable and comfortable for 3 adults.

Anyway - It may make sense to me when I am measure the rear seat widths for the two physically and then comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Compass does much better than the Linea in terms of rear legroom though, and I feel two people should be able to sit in very good comfort.
The Compass has a wheelbase of 2634 mm vs 2603 of the Linea - 31mm more though the overall length is almost 200mm shorter.

Good to see hear that it has even better rear leg room than a Linea.

Last edited by PM - B : 1st July 2017 at 21:01.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 22:28   #884
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the Compass today. Must say, the build feels really solid!! Interiors are pretty good too quality wise.
I must say I am very impressed with the front seats, both on the quality being offered and the space. In the rear, my only grouse is the seat width and the design which although gives pretty good comfort at the back almost makes it impossible to have a third passenger. Apart from that everything else I found spot on! Question is what really would they price it at? The showroom fellow was of the opinion that top end will be 27-28 big ones on road? Worth it at that??

That's where I am doubtful.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 23:57   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I checked out the Compass today.
I agree it is one very desirable car. The lack of a diesel automatic is holding me back from making a booking.
Waiting for the price list and test drive for petrol auto
Closed Thread

Most Viewed