Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2017, 01:01   #886
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Visited the Ahmedabad Jeep dealership with my better half and two kids today. My two cents -

This was my first visit to Jeep dealership and must say that the feel is premium, much better than VW and Skoda dealerships here. The exuberance of a good product and decent footfalls was visible in body language of the sales team. The sales manager was courteous and knowledgeable about Jeep as a brand and the products. During the 20 odd minutes that I was there, the silver Compass was in constant demand and some 7 to 8 families were having a look at it. One person actually paid the refundable Rs 1 Lac booking amount in all of 5 minutes. Dealership claims to have had 110 bookings so far; 65% diesel and remaining petrol.

The car looks 'wow' from outside, manages to attract you from first sight and pulls you towards it, quite a task considering that it is parked next to Grand Cherokee and Wrangler. From inside, although well build its a mixed bag, the front passengers will like them but the rear passengers will not. The leg space is okayish but the shoulder space is limited. 5th passenger will be uncomfortable in long drives. My eighteen month old son was somehow enjoying the white leather seats and reluctantly left them.

The sales manager is indicating an ex-showroom of Rs 18-22 Lacs and expects the pricing to be finalised only in second week of July. Test drives will also start in same time frame. As per them, the deliveries for diesel models are expected to start from August and for petrol by October.

Overall, looks like a attractive package but a lot depends on pricing. My wife and 5 year old daughter have casted their vote for the Tata Hexa, mainly for the space and comfort on offer. I am now eagerly awaiting the test drive and since my primary requirement is an automatic irrespective of the fuel type, I am not sure of the waiting period.

We also had a quick look at the Wrangler and all of us loved it how the heart desires what it can't have...
Sacrosanct is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 04:29   #887
Senior - BHPian

The Compass is a proper upgrade for someone who is moving from B or C segments. I have a Rapid and when I did see the Compass in person I felt it would be a decent upgrade, although I did feel that the base sport variant may be too barebones in comparison to other potential upgrades like Elantra or an Octavia. You get far more features in these cars so it's a bit of a trade off. Either one can buy a decently featured D segment sedan or an entry level Compass which promises a SUV experience.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:33   #888
BHPian

Re: Interior - Back Seat Space & Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Wondering - If the Linea with a width of 1730 mm can seat 3 regular adults comfortably - how is it that the Compass cannot with 1813 mm width?
One possible reason could be that the seats are contoured for two side passengers. There are countours to support the sides of the thighs. These leave very little space for the middle passanger. I sat alone in the middle and the thigh supporting countours for the side passengers were literally under my thigh

Linea's seat is flat with no such countours hence i find it better for middle passenger.

Compass may however give higher seating comfort to the side passengers
FamilyTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:34   #889
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interior - Back Seat Space & Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
I agree -

1. That a flatter rear bench can liberate more lateral space - but why and how would this be considered comfortable - especially on a long drive - compared to bolstered seat - (Non flat)
India is predominantly one of the major countries that usually carry 3 at the back. Australians are definitely larger in build and the probable seating of two gives them more comfort.
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:49   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked out the Jeep Compass at showroom. Came back very unimpressed.

I drive an Ecosport top end Titanium Optional now. The interiors of the Jeep actually felt no larger than my present car. As a tall person (6 foot), I could not get in without raising the steering wheel to its highest position and keeping the seat at a lower position. The headroom felt less than in the Ecosport. The cabin layout felt very conventional with zero flair. The quality of plastic on top of the dashboard is better than the Ecosport for sure, but falls far short of the quality of VW or Skoda cars. The AC vents feel as tough they are a decade old design. The seats have good grip, but the leather felt like what you get on imitation Chinese knock offs of big brand handbags, somehow puffed up and coarse.

The back seats were completely claustrophobic. The seat design ended up having me raise my knees, both due to the angle and also the limited space available front to back. The seat felt only as wide as that of the Ecosport and leg room was also about the same.

It is true that the exterior design is imposing for being such a small vehicle inside. The metal is heavy gage and well built, the quality of the paint job is great as well. Two things I did not like - the design of door handles seems to hark back to early 90s part bin, there is no character here. Also the boot opening handle looks to be from the same bin, no flair at all.

All in all, I did not feel like the Jeep Compass upgrade over my Ecosport, for more than twice the cost from an ambience and interiors perspective. I know the difference may probably come out while driving with the powerful Multjet II engine and 4X4 technology, At an estimated 22 Lacs ex-showroom for the Jeep top end Diesel (close to 26.5L on road), the VW Tiguan Comfortline trumps the Jeep any day, in my opinion - with more space, auto transmission and far superior fit and finish, for a few Lacs more.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd July 2017 at 14:58.
84.monsoon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:43   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Checked out the Jeep Compass at showroom. Came back very unimpressed.

Little surprised by what you observed. I have a Skoda Rapid and I did feel that the Jeep Compass would be a Good upgrade for someone like me. I never really felt the same with a Creta or anything similar. Secondly the comparison to Tiguan is not justified at all, at least we need to wait till Jeep announces the prices of the Compass. For starters the speculated difference between Compass and the Tiguan are not a " few lakhs". If the price forecast is right and if Jeep indeed prices the top end 4x4 Compass at an on road price of about 26-27 lakhs, it would be at least 8-10 lakhs cheaper than a Tiguan! Which means that they are of different segments altogether! The Tiguan is an urban SUV and should compete with the T-Fort and the Endy or even the likes of a Superb. On the other hand the Compass should compete with Octavia, Tucson and the likes.
Sure, if the Octavia and the Jeep Compass were priced similarly, I would pick the Octavia any day. It's a far better car and also has far more features than what a similarly priced Compass would offer. But that's the trade off between an SUV and a sedan.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2017 at 09:33. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:00   #892
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

So are the prices really going to be revealed on the 4th of July ? High time Jeep starts offering a test drives as well. With traction on this thread dying down, looks like Jeep is all set to kill the golden goose by delaying the test drives and the pricing.
Come to think of it everyone wants everything in an instant. Jeep are overplaying this drama. No one will have time for them finally. Once to see the car , next to wait for prices and then the test drives.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 2nd July 2017 at 21:04.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:44   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Secondly the comparison to Tiguan is not justified at all, at least we need to wait till Jeep announces the prices of the Compass. For starters the speculated difference between Compass and the Tiguan are not a " few lakhs". If the price forecast is right and if Jeep indeed prices the top end 4x4 Compass at an on road price of about 26-27 lakhs, it would be at least 8-10 lakhs cheaper than a Tiguan! Which means that they are of different segments altogether!
Actually, the top end version of Jeep Compass should be compared with the Tiguan Comfortline, not highline. The highline has Panormic Sunroof, boot opening by waving ones feet below it, LED ambient lighting, self sealing tyres etc that the Compass does not have. Even the Comfortline is superior to the top end Manual Jeep Compass. Here is what the Tiguan Comfortline offers over and bove the Jeep Compass top end 4X4 Limited (O) version:
  • 7 speed DSG Automatic
  • Full LED headlights
  • More spacious interiors
  • 3 zone automatic climate control
  • Electrically adjustable driver's seat
  • Lumbar support for Driver seat
  • Heated front seats (I know this is not useful in India)
  • Sliding and reclining rear seat
  • Foldable seat back tables
  • Backrest release for left front seat (partly like a "Boss Button")
  • Electrically operated tailgate
  • Cruise Control
  • External mirrors with memory function and auto lowering on reverse
  • 8 inch touchscreen instead of 7 inch in Jeep
  • Paddle shifters
  • Reactive hood for pedestrian protection
  • Hill Descent control
  • Tire pressure monitoring system
  • Front Fog lamps with cornering function
I may have missed some of the above features in the Jeep, correct me if I am wrong. For all these additional features, the Comfortline is priced at around Rs. 33 lacs on-road, which will hopefully come to Rs. 30 Lacs after GST correction. In that case, the Tiguan Comfortline will only be Rs. 4 Lacs over the estimated on-road price of the Jeep Compass, which is what I meant by "for a few lacs more". The extensive list of additional features and space does seem to deserve a 4 lac premium in my view.

On the other hand, the Jeep offers reverse parking camera, push button start, black painted roof and 4X4 lock function that the Tiguan Comfortline does not have.Since it does have parktronic sensors and display, I think I will not miss the rear camera. The push button start and 4X4 lock are valuable features one may miss and I personally do not care about the black painted roof.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd July 2017 at 22:46.
84.monsoon is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:19   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Here is what the Tiguan Comfortline offers over and bove the Jeep Compass top end 4X4 Limited (O)

That's a long list of features and sounds impressive. However, you will kindly appreciate that lot has been said about how the Tiguan and the Tucson are overpriced and that both may be very good cars with great features but may not hit the numbers unless VW & Hyundai consider revising the prices significantly apart from the GST effect.

The price estimation of Compass is ranging from 12 L to 28 L, so it's too early to come to a conclusion that the features are not worth the price tag assuming it to be in the late 20s and comparing it with Tiguan as a VFM. Most of us are considering it to be competing with Creta and expecting it to be in the same price bracket. I personally expect it to be in the range of 14 L - 22 L. Hence, comparing it with Tiguan, which is a completely different segment altogether, is out of question, which would still be a good 8 - 9 L above. If by any chance Jeep prices it around Tiguan and Tucson, then God can only save FCA and its fate in India!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2017 at 00:29. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:43   #895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
For starters the speculated difference between Compass and the Tiguan are not a " few lakhs".
Quote:
For all these additional features, the Comfortline is priced at around Rs. 33 lacs on-road, which will hopefully come to Rs. 30 Lacs after GST correction.
Difference in opinion between you both could be because of the state road tax. Every lakh in ex showroom price matters in a state like Karnataka, because here the Tiguan Comfortline costs 35.73L on road.

The base model Tiguan with manual transmission costs 27.68L on road here.

Quote:
[*]7 speed DSG Automatic
Compass will eventually come with a 9 speed ZF automatic diesel option. But you're right about pricing. They need to undercut the manual Compass below the Tiguan Comfortline significantly to leave further room above for the automatic as well to undercut it.

Infact, not only Tiguan - the 2WD automatic needs to undercut the Tucson as well.

Because Tucson has flopped with sales coming to two digit figures already and looks like VW has targeted similar numbers with the Tiguan (but with a more premium profit margin and positioning). Jeep will be hoping to do much better than either of these in terms of sales.

Quote:
The highline has Panormic Sunroof
As per Jeep, this will come soon IF the product succeeds. Since India is the production hub for all RHD markets, they have already clarified that variants can be introduced as soon as they feel it's needed.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd July 2017 at 23:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:09   #896
Senior - BHPian

This thread makes for really interesting read ...
I see people comparing the Compass with Ecosport/Brezza to tucson/Tfort and Tiguan on one side and also from C to D segment sedans.

I had no plans of buying a car in 2017 but the Compass has me hooked just by its looks - It looks so butch, so imposing and like a true blue SUV and also the dimensions are just about the size I like. Frankly, I find the likes of Creta toy-ish when compared to the Compass just by the looks and the street presence. People comparing Compass with the Brezza or Ecosport are living in their own dream world. This is a SUV which is clearly above the Creta in positioning and more closer to the Tucson. Also, just comparing some gimmicky features does not determine the segment of the car (Even the Creta misses out on features offered by the I20). We need to look at the car as a package - the SUV looks and heritage, the superb build quality, excellent safety features, great engine options make this car a very desirable one indeed.
Keenly waiting for the price to be revealed... Anything close to the Creta and I will be in line to book.
adimicra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:11   #897
BHPian

Not to compare , but since there was this reference made, IMO the rear seats of this car is lot better (wider) than the Tiguan's. However if the SUV form factor is not a constraint, then there are a number of sedans that offer better back seat comfort than any of these comparisons.
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:49   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
Not to compare , but since there was this reference made, IMO the rear seats of this car is lot better (wider) than the Tiguan's. However if the SUV form factor is not a constraint, then there are a number of sedans that offer better back seat comfort than any of these comparisons.
That's a good point, more so since people actually buy SUVs for the back seat comfort, and complain that sedan back seats are low, crouched seating position etc. So give us all sedan options which are more comfortable in the back seat in price range of Compass (15-20L).
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:13   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
That's a good point, more so since people actually buy SUVs for the back seat comfort, and complain that sedan back seats are low, crouched seating position etc. So give us all sedan options which are more comfortable in the back seat in price range of Compass (15-20L).
Personally the Corolla and Jetta (subject to stock availability) have good back seats in terms of recline and comfort.

Yes, SUV are meant to be more comfortable for our road conditions in the sense they can take more abuse, but the ingress/egress + more body roll take away from the comfort factor especially for older folks.

All this aside, I personally really like the height of the seats on the S Cross. It's easy to get into (creta is a notch more difficult) for all ages, and the height is ideal (walk into and sit with minimal crouching) + it has recline.
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:46   #900
Team-BHP Support

Any confirmation of the launch event happening tomorrow?

Google doesn't show up any results other than a few posts in this thread which suggests that the prices will be revealed on July 4th.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed