Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 16:11   #961
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Forget discounts, they haven't even passed on the GST benefits fully I feel. The reduction on both Creta and Tucson has been to the amount of few thousands only whereas Hexa, SCross 1.6 etc saw huge price cuts.
Hyundai may be reserving if for another price correction post the price release of Compass (just in case if they see Compass prices are going to be too attractive to affect their sales).
Old 7th July 2017, 18:50   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting myself for a change. As per below image posted by DRIV3R, we can confirm that the base variant has automatic climate control separate and not integrated directly on the HU?

The buttons seem to be for - Radio, Media, Phone, Compass, Settings and More. The Climate button seen in some Jeep models in the US seem missing here.
Yes the HU also integrates ACC display and also other vehicle information systems, so probably not a good idea to get it changed! It is a Harman Kardon OE system and has good sound, at least when I heard it briefly at the showroom. Detailed review of the HU should be in the tBHP review which I hope should come out soon!
I will also start my ownership review as soon I get mine, which possibly may be in mid-Aug subject to deliveries.But I may be among the first few people in Delhi NCR getting delivery.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th July 2017 at 19:03.
Old 7th July 2017, 18:57   #963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes the HU also integrates ACC display and also other vehicle information systems, so probably not a good idea to get it changed! It is a Harman kardom OE system and has good sound, at least when I heard it briefly at the showroom. Detailed review of the HU should be in the tBHP review which I hope should come out soon!
The one you would have heard and seen is most likely the 7 inch one.

Team Bhp review might also cover the same only as most review cars are the top variant across manufacturers. Whereas, we poor morals were discussing about swapping the 5 inch unit of the base Sport variants.

Great to hear its a Harmon Kardon system. That's another quality move for sure and might even be better than JBL branded one in Hexa, since JBL is their more entry level brand inside the company.

Not sure if the lower variants would get it though. Might be limited to Longitude(O) onwards which get the 7 inch system.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th July 2017 at 19:06.
Old 7th July 2017, 20:07   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per below image posted by DRIV3R, we can confirm that the base variant has automatic climate control separate and not integrated directly on the HU?

The buttons seem to be for - Radio, Media, Phone, Compass, Settings and More. The Climate button seen in some Jeep models in the US seem missing here.
You forgot the last pic in this post of mine - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4218445

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2w.jpg

I cannot see an "Auto" button in the layout of this AC unit. Hoping that it isn't a manual AC in the Sport variant!

Variant-wise listing has the 7-inch U-Connect Head Unit displaying settings for the "dual-zone Automatic AC" for the Longitude (O), Limited & Limited (O) variants. Nothing specified for the lower two variants.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 20:27   #965
BANNED

Checked out the compass today for the first time.

While it looks very smart, the presence and size is not any more than a Creta. Good for city driving, not so good for image.
The interiors are definitely top notch and the leather used all around is supersoft, softer than a Land Rover and bmw. But I'm not sure about that nearly white color. Seats are comfortable and good size, no complaints. The build is very good and the materials are soft to touch. But the dash design is totally vertical and I believe that makes the car feel cozier than it actually is.
The doors, which are now infamous for being overly heavy...I didn't find them to be that heavy. I'm comparing to the EcoSport which already has one of the heaviest doors . So its not a bad thing, but I just imagined it would be even more.

The space on the back is decent. Not a whole lot more than my EcoSport currently. But the width is definitely more and the armrest is at the perfect height. I'm 5'11 and i could sit behind myself with a abour 2-3 inch legroom. But I expected more(don't know why probably just because of the price).

And this was a 4x2 variant on display.

All in all, I wouldn't want to pay any more than 15-16 lakhs on this car.(ex showroom) Keep in mind this is because I don't have a use for the very capable 4x4 system or the tank like build(Which btw I will not believe until there is a crash test of an Indian spec car). The features look good but nothing spectacular. One thing which Jeep could add to atleast enhance the feeling of space would be the Panoramic roof.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 21:24   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Cynicism, shown in earlier posts, suggest that some already want to call it a failed product. Content of this forum change the perception of people who read it. Rumor mongering will help none.

IMO, this company should be congratulated that, unlike some other foreign players, past failures have not shaken their belief in our market and they have come up with even bigger & better product to reinvent themselves. I know for sure, through my contacts, that they have generated sizable amount of jobs during the whole process and have brought here in India for the first time, some cutting edge technologies in manufacturing.
Sergio Marchionne (CEO,FCA) is not known to be sentimental, but calculating in his moves. He has already stated that Fiat cannot relive its glory days in India. Maybe he thinks a different brand name can help, but the more obvious reason is that he has looked at the Ranjangaon plant as the most economical base to manufacture the Jeep Compass for the global RHD market.

FCA has always had cutting edge. Their problem is their inability to understand their customers. For example, a few days ago I wrote in to FCA's CC requesting for my complete service records, so I could easily look at it on a PC instead of fumbling through paper files. Honestly I was going to summarise my ownership experience and give them usable feedback. Even Honda offers up the complete service history through their Honda Connect app. I was genuinely amazed when I started getting a lot of calls from FCA asking if there was a reason I was asking for the records, was there an issue I was facing, how could they help, etc. I was very close to posting here that FCA's service is turning the corner. But after few days of verbal non-committals (this is the reason they give generic email responses), FCA disclosed that they have a weird policy in place refusing to share service history records with owners. They suggested I go to a dealership and ask, where again I'm told that it's against company policy. Apparently there is one more company following this - Royal Enfield - no surprise both are having similar issues.
Asking people to post positive comments to influence people reading this, so your contacts at FCA are happy, is not the correct approach.

Side note : I drove to the Jeep showroom in my Linea and jumping into the Compass felt strangely familiar, like a better Linea. I went to the Nexa showroom next door and had a look at their flagship cars - Ciaz and S Cross, and both had a not so great feel. It's no surprise people are calling the Compass premium. Manufacturers seem to be diluting the market and reintroducing quality cars they could already make at higher price points.

Some other observations : When I sat in the rear seat, another gentleman sitting there immediately remarked that it won't fit a third person. It feels snug like a hatchback. The doors being heavy were actually a nuisance because you had to really push and pull them. The engine bay isn't neat, it's just hidden with a lot of plastic - an oversized engine cover, another plastic strip extending over the radiator, etc. - you can see the usual stuff if you peer through the gaps.
The gear shifter was genuinely impressive and seemed to just slot into the gates; of course it needs to be seen how it works when running. So basically FCA fixed 2 major complaints TBHPians had with the Linea/Punto - better plastics and sharper gear shifts, and is charging twice as much (ok fine, it has much more power too).

Last edited by Crazy_Eddy : 7th July 2017 at 21:41.
Crazy_Eddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 22:38   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Checked out the compass today for the first time.

The doors, which are now infamous for being overly heavy...I didn't find them to be that heavy. I'm comparing to the EcoSport which already has one of the heaviest doors . So its not a bad thing, but I just imagined it would be even more.

The space on the back is decent. Not a whole lot more than my EcoSport currently. But the width is definitely more and the armrest is at the perfect height. I'm 5'11 and i could sit behind myself with a abour 2-3 inch legroom. But I expected more(don't know why probably just because of the price).

No offence to your views, but have we come to the point of comparing the compass to every car around? And especially the cheaper ones? I mean we started off comparing the Compass to the Tucson and even the Tiguan, and some where even the Creta.

But now comparing it with the ecosport? I get the point that you own one, so comparisons are inevitable, but comparisons have to be at par with segments,right? What next, we compare the Compass to the Brezza and the WRV? I mean these cars are in the same segment as the Ecosport, so why not, right?

Just because FCA ain't in the best situation in India and they haven't disclosed the prices ( their mistake for sure) it doesn't mean that we start comparing apples to oranges.
motorworks is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 00:39   #968
BHPian

Got a call from Jeep India. The executive mentioned petrol variant to cost 15-20Lakhs ex showroom. I suggested him to lure fiat loyalists by offering attractive exchange and loyalty bonus.
Old 8th July 2017, 06:48   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
Got a call from Jeep India. The executive mentioned petrol variant to cost 15-20Lakhs ex showroom. I suggested him to lure fiat loyalists by offering attractive exchange and loyalty bonus.
I have booked the petrol AT variant. I will be the first person to cancel my booking if it costs 20 lakhs ex showroom. Infact, I will go ahead with the purchase only if Jeep manages to match Creta's petrol AT pricing or may be a small premium over it. However good the product is, Jeep needs to price it very very competitively at launch to garner decent sales numbers. Without 4x4, I don't think the petrol AT variant is too different from Creta AT except for a bit better build quality. I don't see any reason why would anyone pay 60% more over Creta for an FCA car.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 8th July 2017 at 06:56.
Old 8th July 2017, 07:07   #970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just because FCA ain't in the best situation in India and they haven't disclosed the prices ( their mistake for sure) it doesn't mean that we start comparing apples to oranges.
I don't think he is comparing to the Ecosport. Just that he is explaining his POV as an Ecosport owner looking at an upgrade. Which is fine IMO.

If I were to go to a showroom as well, I'll check each car and think what the new car will be providing in addition to the existing car and at what additional price. Not fully in terms of features - but engine, build, safety, quality etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 07:32   #971
BHPian

Although as a prospective customer, a lower price on the Compass would make me happy, I don't think it's apt to expect Compass prices in contention with Creta prices. Maybe there would be an overlap between top end Creta and the base Compass, but that's about it. People saying there's nothing different between the two should really do their homework. Take away the 4WD and the Compass is still a better package than the Creta. I'm not talking features here. The engine, gearbox, suspension, standard safety features, ride and handling, quality, in fact the things that really matter in a car, Jeep seems to have it all covered and the Compass is a much more cohesive package than the Creta. The missing features hint that Jeep is trying to keep the pricing as competitive as possible.

My bet is on the Compass going after the XUV at a slight premium. Mahindra is already working on a 170 bhp, 350 Nm retune of the mHawk for the XUV5OO. A successful model, so late into it's age receiving a major engine upgrade. Hmmm...anticipation of competition perhaps? The XUV when launched, killed the D segment sedans. Jeep might be hoping for a similar chapter too.
GKR9900 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 07:58   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Although as a prospective customer, a lower price on the Compass would make me happy, I don't think it's apt to expect Compass prices in contention with Creta prices. Maybe there would be an overlap between top end Creta and the base Compass, but that's about it. People saying there's nothing different between the two should really do their homework. Take away the 4WD and the Compass is still a better package than the Creta. I'm not talking features here. The engine, gearbox, suspension, standard safety features, ride and handling, quality, in fact the things that really matter in a car, Jeep seems to have it all covered and the Compass is a much more cohesive package than the Creta. The missing features hint that Jeep is trying to keep the pricing as competitive as possible.
While the 2 litre MJD or the upcoming 9 speed AT gearbox might be better than the ones on Creta, I don't think 1.4 Multi air on a heavy car is going to do any wonders over Creta's 1.6 petrol engine. Also, while the DCT gearbox might be better in terms of driving experience, its perceived reliability is going to be no where close to the torque converter in Creta. As a Fiat car owner for the past 10+ years (Siena 1.6 -> Linea Tjet), I know that ride and handling is always better in an FCA car, but it doesn't matter that much for a non enthusiast who is more concerned about the ASS and resale. If FCA is aiming only at the enthusiasts which is a small % of the car buyers, then it is okay to price is much higher than Creta. But if it wants some decent numbers with its petrol 2 wheel drive variant, it needs to be priced close to Creta.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 8th July 2017 at 08:03.
ece2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 08:35   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What next, we compare the Compass to the Brezza and the WRV? I mean these cars are in the same segment as the Ecosport, so why not, right?
Yeah, why not? If I had any of those cars, I'd definitely draw a comparison and post my views on it.

Quote:
Well, it doesn't matter what situation FCA is in to discuss their upcoming model here; they aren't doing us any favours. I remember reading your posts comparing the Compass to your own Rapid and other D segment sedans like the Octavia and Elantra; on the same note, do they belong to the same segment to be compared?

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 8th July 2017 at 08:42.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 09:24   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Yeah, why not? If I had any of those cars, I'd definitely draw a comparison and post my views on it.

Well, it doesn't matter what situation FCA is in to discuss their upcoming model here; they aren't doing us any favours. I remember reading your posts comparing the Compass to your own Rapid and other D segment sedans like the Octavia and Elantra; on the same note, do they belong to the same segment to be compared?

You can go back and check my posts. I stated that the Compass is a good upgrade for people like me who own a Rapid. I did not compare both cars like to like. Secondly, Octavia, Elantra and the Jeep Compass are bound to be in the same price territory and there is an overlap of customers in this D segment space since the numbers seem very small hence i had mentioned that the Compass may be looking a little less loaded in terms of features when compared to these cars.

My point is quite straight, let's not take words out of context.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 10:12   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Well guys it is natural to compare any car with the existing car that one has! The Jeep Compass's strength is not really supposed to be its interior space but the ride quality and the driving dynamics. Both of these have been highly appreciated by most reviewers. Inside space is not really a criteria on the basis of which expensive / premium cars can be judged as most of them would fail miserably. If interior space is the top most priority you can get the best from the Tatas and Mahindras with the XUV, Hexa and even the Zest and Tiagos. They have interior space which would put most D segment sedans to shame, barring the Superb maybe.
In the 18-22 segment though there are no Multinational options yet, barring Hyundai, which really is not a premium offering and lacks driving excitement (no offence to Creta owners, but that has been Hyundai's challenge, otherwise it is a good car, with a 5 year lifeclass.)
Jeep is trying to fill this void and provide a car which offers driver excitement and also is of a higher quality than Hyundai. I know people will want everything at the same price as the Creta, but that will not be viable for Jeep and they will try to price it realistically. Given the recent GST reduction, I do hope that they are able to pitch the top diesel variant sub 20 and the base variant starting at 14.5 lacs. This should be the pricing sweet spot for them and they would be able to get the 2500 monthly sale that they are aiming for. Anything higher will be a challenge and lower may not generate enough profit for them.
However the challenge for Jeep in India is not the price, but the network and service which they really need to focus on to woo customers. The initial experience of Compass owners will really drive the success or failure of the Compass in India.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th July 2017 at 10:14.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks