Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2017, 13:40   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Have read that the Steering Console - MID - is a full color screen - Any pics or information on that?

Is that a full size spare?

Would there be a more complete pic of the driver armrest controls available?
You are most welcome.

The MID screens look like these, as per my earlier share from Shifting Gears' very detailed gallery in this very thread, some pages back:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4619.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4620.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4621.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4622.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4623.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4625.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4628.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4629.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4630.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4631.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4632.jpg

I assume you mean the driver armrest control panel on the driver door. Here it is:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassinteriordoors.jpg

And yes, that is a full-sized spare wheel.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 14:16   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
[left]I assume you mean the driver armrest control panel on the driver door. Here it is:

@RavenAvi

Thank you again, for the pics

When the Punto / Linea debuted in 2009, I think the MID was class leading at the time.

However I assume/guess the Compass MID data today is on par for the day / segment / competition.

Goodie, its a full size spare.

Wanted to see if they have door locks and window lock on the driver side panel - only thing now is not sure if the driver locks the doors - will the front passenger be able to open it on is own or will the driver have to release it.

Ditto for window lock - on the first gen India Linea- if the window lock is pressed - the rear seat occupants cannot operate the windows - however the front seat passenger can.

And from the pic - looks like the front windows have auto up and all have auto down.

Also some amount of difference - on the boot lip.
I had read in one review that while it is high - it is in line with the floor.

Then I have seen a pic for the US Trailhawk I assume where the boot lip is not in line with the floor.

Guess - We will have to wait longer for a thorough TBHP review - which should answer these.

Would have liked lumbar adjustment / support on at least the front seats - Getting old I guess !!

Last edited by PM - B : 9th July 2017 at 14:21.
PM - B is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 14:33   #993
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Wanted to see if they have door locks and window lock on the driver side panel - only thing now is not sure if the driver locks the doors - will the front passenger be able to open it on is own or will the driver have to release it.
Along with the power window switch the front passenger gets a central locking switch as well. This central locking switch can unlock/lock all 4 doors. Don't have a picture though. Remember seeing it.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 15:26   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Along with the power window switch the front passenger gets a central locking switch as well. This central locking switch can unlock/lock all 4 doors. Don't have a picture though. Remember seeing it.
Here it is, picture from the above post...

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-untitled.jpg

Quote:
@RavenAvi
When the driver locks the doors, only the front passenger and the driver will be able to OPEN the doors in the locked mode and not the rear passengers.
cbatrody is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 16:08   #995
Senior - BHPian

Sharing RavenAvi's post to show co-passenger side door lock and auto window. That's a first for me; instead they could have moved the central locking to the centre console and saved on the cost of this setup.

Quote:
Detailed close-up shots, courtesy Mahesh Sankar @ Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19732256_1529196020435419_2336323496615022363_n.jpg  

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 9th July 2017 at 16:09.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 16:55   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Sharing RavenAvi's post to show co-passenger side door lock and auto window. That's a first for me; instead they could have moved the central locking to the centre console and saved on the cost of this setup.
The passenger side door lock/unlock buttons work similar to the driver side ones. Press Lock - all 4 doors lock at once along with the lift gate. Press unlock - all 4 doors unlock along with the lift gate.
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 17:26   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are most welcome.

The MID screens look like these]
As per this info in MID, its 17881 Kms for the next service. So, is the service duration going to be 20K Kms or 1 year?
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_4622.jpg  

Old 9th July 2017, 18:11   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
As per this info in MID, its 17881 Kms for the next service. So, is the service duration going to be 20K Kms or 1 year?

Good spot. Surely the best way to decongest the 50 outlets. What's the 'W' on the MID ? Is it the direction of travel. So the Compass has a Compass on the MID also.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 18:39   #999
BHPian

Hi folks,

Got a chance to touch, sit, feel and play around with Jeep Compass on display. Sharing some of my first hand postulates:

The Exterior:
  • It was a top end 2L Multijet II Turbo diesel manual transmission.
  • It offered a switching option between 2WD and 4WD.
  • Rock sold built with a lot of attention to detailing.
  • No uneven or wide panel gaps noticed.
  • Paint quality was top notch.
  • They didn't reveal the pricing except that the starting should be 17L ex-showroom Gurgaon to go all the way to 22L.
  • Smart 17" alloy wheels.
  • Integrated DRLs and LED tail lamps reminiscent to Audi.
  • ORVM hosted a dual profile mirror demarked by a vertical dotted line. The outer of this dotted line is more convex than the inner = assist you with the wider view during those lane changes or merging traffic of the flyover.

The Interior:
  • I am 6 feet tall and it felt spacious(leg room & head room). Keeping the front seat position intact, sat behind on the back bench. Lot of room.
  • Ingress and egress was easy with doors opening wide enough, although being an SUV, I had to stretch a bit despite having XL size legs. Thanks to its ground clearance
  • Well contoured seats. Front seat head restraints were tilted forward.
  • Interior theme was premium dual tone(that of ivory/whitish) leather.
  • The dashboard offered a padded upholstery rather than merely a plastic.
  • 6 air bags(including the curtain ones).
  • On the offer was a touch screen with a lot many contemporary features including variable climate control for different air-con vents.
  • No auto-dimming IRVM. Manual day-night mode option available.
  • Unlike other cars where the push button start/stop is placed on the dash, here it was placed where otherwise you see a key hole(Yes, on the right side on the steering column.
  • Steering offered both tilt & telescopic adjustment.
  • Driver side seat was height adjustable(manual and not electric).
  • Clutch throw felt long and needed a bit effort. In bumper to bumper traffic, I am sure it will be a pain.
  • On the other hand, shifting into various gears was quite effortless.
  • Twin Bluetooth(TM) mic, one each above the driver & the co-passenger.
  • The rear bench had air-con vents with a USB mobile charging point.
  • The rear seat offered 3 height adjustable head restraints but is good enough for only 2 persons. The third can be accommodated only for short runs, else he is sure to crib. Thanks to limited seat width, lack of proper seat contour for the middle and high middle floor hump.
  • There's an option of pivot down a nice armrest with dual cup holders.
  • 440L boot space. Open the boot and its flat. There isn't depth to it.
  • The gas struts to lift the tail gate where sourced from the US.
  • The spare wheel is the same size and specification(225 section 17") but a non-alloy rim.

Under the hood:
  • Opening the hood. To my surprise, it was a solid heavy sheet weighing a good 8-10 kg. I had to use both my hands to ensure I do not let it drop.
  • Engine bay was well designed. Almost every part was sealed, still I could spot some "Made in Germany" OEM components sourced from Mopar.
  • Indeed a lot many other components in the car including the rear tail lamps were from Mopar.
  • Under the hood, it was almost sealed and I couldn't see the floor from any gaps otherwise.

The NVH:
The vehicle was on display and hence properly parked. While the sales executive was explaining me the functions so did I push the start button followed by checking the gear shifts for which I was engaging the clutch, and another sales executive came, while explaining to his client pushed the start button. The engine came to life as a surprise. As it started I could feel the significant initial shudder and some good amount of vibrations penetrating in. Since the driver's door was open, could hear a loud enough diesel engine noise. Turned it off and again a felt a shudder.

Lastly, I collected the premium printed brochure in a notion to get some technical specs, but as with many high end cars, it doesn't have anything interesting but for the pictures, the brand history and other stuff pertinent to marketing. Thanks.

Last edited by Nohonking : 9th July 2017 at 18:43. Reason: fixing a typo
Nohonking is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 18:47   #1000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Good spot. Surely the best way to decongest the 50 outlets. What's the 'W' on the MID ? Is it the direction of travel. So the Compass has a Compass on the MID also.
I believe it's first service at 5k kms. And then the interval will be 15k kms/ 1 year. Hence currently it's counting down to 20000 kms.

20000km service interval will be too much for Indian conditions and will meet with criticism for sure. Already FCA has the longest interval, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Lastly, I collected the premium printed brochure in a notion to get some technical specs, but as with many high end cars, it doesn't have anything interesting but for the pictures, the brand history and other stuff pertinent to marketing. Thanks.
Actual brochure will be made available after the launch. It's only the previews that are going on currently.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th July 2017 at 18:48.
Old 9th July 2017, 21:21   #1001
BHPian

There was a Jeep Compass 4x4 on display at Viviana Mall, Thane. Was attracting quite a few eyeballs and footfalls.

- Absolutely stunning looking and well built
- The door is heavy and gives a strong sense of safety
- Interior fit and finish is top notch
- Front seats are comfortable
- Rear seat has decent leg room though 3 will be bit of a squeeze
- Would have liked slightly more reclined rear seat
- Boot space is good

Pricing like all vehicles will hold the key to success. Strangely though, Tata Hexa is the SUV which came to my mind when thinking of overall build quality and finish similar to Compass
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-4.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-3.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-5.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 21:45   #1002
BHPian

I think this is a car which has been scrutinised more than the average on our forum. It is high time the prices are revealed for to begin with.

If FCA is not ready to produce and not ready to sell than all these previews are nothing but teasing a customer and then frustrating him or her by constantly delaying the details.

How much more should we keep debating discussing and pondering ? Terrible sales tactics.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 22:45   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
20000km service interval will be too much for Indian conditions and will meet with criticism for sure. Already FCA has the longest interval, as far as I know.
Tata Hexa and Storme also have engine oil changes scheduled every 20000km.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 00:59   #1004
BHPian

Any Idea - On the 4x4 version / implementation of the Compass - what is the upper speed limit - or below what speed can - the 4WD Lock be used continuously.

Or is their no limit - meaning it can be used all the time (I am not considering fuel consumption)

What is the pro and con for driving it in 4WD Lock mode all the time.

And if enabled on regular roads - shouldnt this give the best speeds and grip within the envelope that it is designed to work.

Would I be right to compare (analogous) this (4WD Lock on Compass) with a 4WD HI setting on an normal / proper 4x4?

Last edited by PM - B : 10th July 2017 at 01:13.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:02   #1005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a full size spare?
Quote:
Confirmation.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasstirepressureratingreview.jpg
(Source)
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed