Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 11:04   #1006
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

As per an ACI article, the sales target for the Compass is around 1800 units per month. More than 50% of the production will be send for exports.

Quote:
The company has an ambitious target of producing 47,000 Compasses in the first full year of production, of which around 25,000 will be exported to right-hand-drive markets around the world and the balance will be for domestic sales.
Also clearly mentions that the actual direct Creta rival will be the Jeep Renegade.

Quote:
Joining the Compass in the second half of 2019 will be the Renegade (Code: 526), a smaller SUV that will be more of a Creta rival.
For those wanting diesel automatic, panoramic sunroof and 4*4 low -

Quote:
The Compass range itself will expand with more variants being rolled out, including a ZF-sourced nine-speed auto gearbox mated to the 2.0-litre diesel. The hardcore Trailhawk version is also likely to be introduced.
For all those who were predicting prices based on sales targets, hope these numbers help with the predictions.

Source -

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...by-2020-405353

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th July 2017 at 11:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 11:25   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As per an ACI article, the sales target for the Compass is around 1800 units per month. For all those who were predicting prices based on sales targets, hope these numbers help with the predictions.
To sell 1800 units a month consistently, FCA needs to price the car at a slight premium (maybe 10 to 20% at the max) over Creta. Anything more than that, I seriously doubt if Compass will manage to cross even 1000 copies a month on a long run.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:20   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
To sell 1800 units a month consistently, FCA needs to price the car at a slight premium (maybe 10 to 20% at the max) over Creta. Anything more than that, I seriously doubt if Compass will manage to cross even 1000 copies a month on a long run.
I expect the price to be about 2 lacs shy of the Ford Endeavor. By no means do I see FCA trying to compete with Creta.

The build quality and finish is of a proper SUV and cant be compared to Creta.

So in terms of pricing we will have Endeavor > Compass > Hexa > Creta
damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 12:40   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I expect the price to be about 2 lacs shy of the Ford Endeavor. By no means do I see FCA trying to compete with Creta.

The build quality and finish is of a proper SUV and cant be compared to Creta.

So in terms of pricing we will have Endeavor > Compass > Hexa > Creta
If compass is priced close to Endeavour, it is going to target a very niche segment like Tucson/Tiguan and the volume is going to be a few hundred units at the max IMHO.
ece2k2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 17:31   #1010
Senior - BHPian

I seem to have missed this all along, There is no base petrol variant during launch! Looks like the petrol is only available on the "Limited" variant which is AT.

I think Jeep missed a trick here, the price difference between petrol and diesel stands at Rs.10 today. If there was a base petrol, it would made the starting price point even lower!
Old 10th July 2017, 18:00   #1011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I seem to have missed this all along, There is no base petrol variant during launch! Looks like the petrol is only available on the "Limited" variant which is AT.
Variant spread at launch:

1.4L 4x2 Petrol 6-speed MT = Sport (base).
1.4L 4x2 Petrol 7-speed DDCT AT = Limited & Limited (O) (top).

2.0L 4x2 Diesel 6-speed MT = Sport (base), Longitude & Longitude (O) (mid), Limited & Limited (O) (top).
2.0L 4x4 Diesel 6-speed MT = Limited & Limited (O) (top).

A 2.0L Diesel 9-speed AT will join the ranks later, possibly in both 4x2 and 4x4 guises.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th July 2017 at 18:11. Reason: Added last line clarification.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:09   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Confirmation.

Thankyou @RavenAvi

Thinking - If the total load carrying capacity of the Compass is 390 KG (Cargo + People) - Isnt this on the lower side !
Had seen this elsewhere earlier too and have been meaning to ask.

Please click on attachment link if the image is not shown in this post itself

Just 5 people weighing 78 KGs can take up the entire weight allowance.
Or 4 well built people weighting 100 KGs can take up the allowance and still be seated comfortably.

What happens if the combination of people + cargo exceeds 390 KGs?

What are the weight / load capacities for C segment sedans?
I am sure there a lot of them that can seat 5 proper adults comfortably.

Any thoughts

PS - I realise this would be an extreme situation - and typically improbable.
PM - B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:29   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

@Ravenavi, my understanding was that there would be no Petrol variant at launch. Only the Diesel is going to be available starting end July. I remember seeing this on a launch power point slide that FCA put up. The launch was so long ago. Everyone is already forgetting the Compass.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th July 2017 at 18:39.
Old 10th July 2017, 19:39   #1014
Senior - BHPian

I recently "met" the Jeep Compass in Kochi. I had also traveled in a Creta (for the first time) a couple of days before that (in the top-end petrol version). To me, the Compass looks and feels more premium than the Creta inside and out. I liked the feel of the seats in the Compass, the soft-touch bits in the interior, superb gear knob and loved the feeling when I held the steering. I think the Creta does not match the Compass in feel.

I did not travel in the Compass, but I will be surprised if Creta equals Compass in ride/handling department.

I had more headroom in the Creta. Ingress/egress is also slightly easier in the Creta - I really had to "climb up" into the Compass compared to the Creta. That plus the (low) height of the car meant that I felt my hair brushing against the door frame when I entered the Compass (I am 5'8"), both at the front and back.

I read many comparisons in this thread between the two vehicles. After having seen both, I certainly wouldn't complain if Jeep prices Compass higher than the Creta.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 21:03   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

I had more headroom in the Creta. Ingress/egress is also slightly easier in the Creta - I really had to "climb up" into the Compass compared to the Creta. That plus the (low) height of the car meant that I felt my hair brushing against the door frame when I entered the Compass (I am 5'8"), both at the front and back.

I read many comparisons in this thread between the two vehicles. After having seen both, I certainly wouldn't complain if Jeep prices Compass higher than the Creta.
I am 5'8" too but did not find much of an issue with ingress / egress. Though, Yes, the height of the car is less which means less headroom but that is not much of a problem for my family.

We all agree that Hyundai Creta is at least 1 lac premium over what it deserves. Following are the ex-showroom pricing for Hexa and Creta automatic in Mumbai
* Hexa XTA 16.3lacs
* Creta SX+ (A) 12.5 lacs

If FCA was to launch Compass at 15 lacs, I expect a huge rush for it. FCA plans to manufacture 47,000 units per year with 50% to be sold in domestic market.

While I know the above pricing is wishful thinking, to achieve its target of 2000 units per month, it does need aggressive pricing.

Maybe 18 lacs for Jeep Compass Auto is too much
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 21:06   #1016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As per an ACI article, the sales target for the Compass is around 1800 units per month. More than 50% of the production will be send for exports.

Also clearly mentions that the actual direct Creta rival will be the Jeep Renegade.
Quote:
Trying to sell 1500-1800 units a months, the biggest limiting factor is FCA's minuscule dealer network. In competition are giants like Hyundai, Tata and Toyota, all with well established networks that covers the entire country. They cant price themselves any more than 25% above the Creta max, if they are looking at that kind of volume considering their limited reach.

If they are in any way thinking Innova Crysta or Tucson prices, they might as well not bother trying.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 10th July 2017 at 21:09.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 06:12   #1017

What could be some 'real-to-life guesstimate' of the maintenance costs for
1. Jeep Compass
2. VW Tiguan
And what is the current maintenance cost of Innova Crysta?

TIA.
Old 11th July 2017, 11:13   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To sell 1800 units a month consistently, FCA needs to price the car at a slight premium (maybe 10 to 20% at the max) over Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I expect the price to be about 2 lacs shy of the Ford Endeavor.
The D & above segment UVs which sell 1000+ units per month on a consistent basis are the XUV500, the Innova Crysta and the Toyota Fortuner.

Since the Compass is a D-segment competitor and with what it has to offer, I expect the pricing to be between the XUV500 W10 (~16.05 lakhs) for the base Sport variant and the Endeavor 2.2L Trend 4x2 MT (~23.7 lakhs) for the top Limited (O) 4x4 variant, give or take 50,000 rupees either side. (ex-showroom, Delhi)

I'd say, even at 50,000 rupees lesser than the above range, the Compass would be a steal.

While we all would be delighted if FCA prices this 170PS/350Nm beast alongside Hyundai's 128PS/265Nm C-segment bestseller, let's be realistic here. The build quality and the engine output are two things which propel the Compass beyond the Creta/Duster segment, all other comparable features between both cars notwithstanding. Even the petrol's output, at 160PS/250Nm, is much above the Creta's 123PS/154Nm range.

The proper in-segment competitor from the Jeep stable to the Hyundai Creta in the C2 segment will be the Renegade, with a 140PS heart. It should arrive in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Trying to sell 1500-1800 units a months, the biggest limiting factor is FCA's minuscule dealer network.
I completely agree.

Dealership network and future After Sales Service will be the deciding factors for the Compass's success, not just the price. The market won't buy the Compass even at Creta's prices, if they feel that Jeep's network is too thin and the future servicing experiences will be a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
@Ravenavi, my understanding was that there would be no Petrol variant at launch.
Went through the launch presentation shots during the media drive at Goa, and that is mentioned nowhere.

It's a rumour circulated by ACI. The 1.4L MultiAir has seen testing runs already, and if Jeep feels that those weren't enough, they might defer the petrol launch by a month (at most). If they feel that the petrol is ready, we just might see a dual launch.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th July 2017 at 11:16.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:40   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Went through the launch presentation shots during the media drive at Goa, and that is mentioned nowhere.

It's a rumour circulated by ACI. The 1.4L MultiAir has seen testing runs already, and if Jeep feels that those weren't enough, they might defer the petrol launch by a month (at most). If they feel that the petrol is ready, we just might see a dual launch.

I found this in the Compass brochure that was circulated on the form. Sorry it wasn't the launch power point.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499753409.037497.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 11:59   #1020
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Trying to sell 1500-1800 units a months, the biggest limiting factor is FCA's minuscule dealer network. In competition are giants like Hyundai, Tata and Toyota, all with well established networks that covers the entire country. They cant price themselves any more than 25% above the Creta max, if they are looking at that kind of volume considering their limited reach.

If they are in any way thinking Innova Crysta or Tucson prices, they might as well not bother trying.
As you go up the price chain, you wouldn't be surprised to find most of the sales happening in metros and big cities. Small dealer network thus doesn't remain a huge disadvantage.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed