Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 13:01   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Nice strategy from FCA.

Instead of hiring smart, informed sales representatives, they made entire nation their PR executives for Compass. Now that's cost cutting on a different level i must say, and hope this would result in lower prices
nitinralli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:41   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hereby sharing the message received from the sales executive of a local Jeep showroom! No separate mention of 2WD and 4WD though.
I would wait till the prices are officially announced by FCA.

However, the pricing IMO, are not that bad considering the quality product (Jeep Compass) that has been produced.

We cannot expect to have pricing of very low range and expect quality of extremely high range.

Let's see what FCA brings out the prices. Hope that the pricing is not like Cherokee.
maverickxx2006 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:45   #1083
BHPian

Here's what I heard from my friendly sales rep.
The petrol version will be about 19-20L on road. Diesel will be 25-26L.They will start delivery for people who have pre-booked in August end. People who book now will get delivery only sometime in September.
Old 19th July 2017, 14:41   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
Here's what I heard from my friendly sales rep.
The petrol version will be about 19-20L on road. Diesel will be 25-26L.They will start delivery for people who have pre-booked in August end. People who book now will get delivery only sometime in September.
I pre booked an automatic petrol in June and i have been informed that i will get my car in October 2017 and not before. They will only deliver manuals initially in August & September
Old 19th July 2017, 14:44   #1085
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling Fiat's going to go for 'profits' with the Compass. It will be well-priced, but not 'a mouth-watering steal'. At least not for the variants that count.

Think of the company - why would they go for tremendous volumes?

- Small dealership network compared to the big guns. They anyway can't sell in large numbers.

- To FCA, profits are important as no other car (Cherokee, Wrangler, Linea, Punto) sells.

- As we've seen from recent developments (i.e. Maruti & Tata developing their own engines), the 1.3L cash cow isn't going to continue forever.

If for any reason it is launched at a mouth-watering price, I'm sure they'll do a 'Ford EcoSport' and quickly raise prices over a couple of quarters.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:57   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Think of the company - why would they go for tremendous volumes?

- Small dealership network compared to the big guns. They anyway can't sell in large numbers.

- To FCA, profits are important as no other car (Cherokee, Wrangler, Linea, Punto) sells.

That's one way of looking at it. But it would also depend on where FCA wants to go with JEEP in India. They seemingly have Renegade in the pipeline which will be more mass market.

If they can't show volumes to their dealers, I am not sure they will be able to have the right kind of infrastructure even when they want to launch more mass oriented offerings.

At the end of the day, we can only debate and FCA must be quite pleased to be in the limelight
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:18   #1087
BHPian

I am sure most people here have seen multiple pics, reviews and videos - Apologies if this is a repeat

On the video below - do have a look specifically at 1:53 and a few seconds on

Where in a steel ball hit the frame.

Also if I am not mistaken the floor of the boot is adjustable -

1. To be flush with the loading lip
2. Goes a bit below the lip to maximize volume

3. The 1.6 L MJD is made available in certain markets with two states of output - A. 120 BHP & B. 140 BHP

@TBHP

When is our review coming out !!

@FCA

Give us an aggressive price with all options.
Old 19th July 2017, 16:28   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
They will only deliver manuals initially in August & September
AFAIK, diesel manual only. Petrol will follow later. They have already produced some 1k Diesels. First batch is planned to be dispatched on 3rd August.

On a side note, FCA is upping their staff with good numbers these days. From last one month or so, I am noticing lots of young engineers, wearing Jeep branded tees, doing house hunt. Lots of Fiat employees already live in my vicinity.
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:29   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
..Where in a steel ball hit the frame.
The steel ball shown is just a dummy and not real. Probably just a computer simulation! A real ball of that size would weigh over 2 tons and completely trash the car on impact!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th July 2017 at 16:52. Reason: Removed video link and extras from the quote
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 17:16   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
They seemingly have Renegade in the pipeline which will be more mass market.
I see what you're saying, but, I don't think it will be a mass market offering. Renegade is a premium subcompact SUV OR like they call a Baby SUV.

In the UAE, it comes in 4 derivatives

1. Sport 4x2 - priced around AED 85,000 to AED 90,000
2. Longitude 4x4 - around AED 100,000
3. Trailhawk 4x4 - around AED 110,000
4. Limited (4x4) - around AED 120,000

All 4 derivatives have a 2.4 L, 4 cylinder engine with 9 speed auto transmission.

On the contrary, Hyundai Tucson costs between AED 70,000 to AED 90,000 here (with two derivatives - 2.0 L & 2.4 L engines). I am in no way comparing these two cars as they fall into different size brackets/ segments. But, one can guess the estimated price, if it gets launched in future!
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 21:35   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are wondering how the Jeep Compass would look on our crowded city roads, here is a glimpse, courtesy Dhaval Soni:

RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 21:57   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Renegade is a premium subcompact SUV OR like they call a Baby SUV.

On the contrary, Hyundai Tucson
Renegade is part of their utilitarian range like the Wrangler, whereas Compass is part of the premium range.

Even the Compass goes directly against the Tucson in international markets, but we can see the expectations here. Personally, I feel that Renegade can only compete at a lower segment than Compass and that strategy makes sense. In India, the market doesn't pay extra for retro and utilitarian themes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
For those who are wondering how the Jeep Compass would look on our crowded city roads, here is a glimpse, courtesy Dhaval Soni:
Interesting perspective with the Duster. Looks only about half a size more than Duster, but looks a whole generation more modern and premium.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screenshot_2017071921415874.png

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screenshot_2017071921425087.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:48   #1093
BHPian

FCA India must be having a ball seeing all these wild predictions going on about Compass. They have created enough traction for a vehicle which is more of an aspirational product, with no background in India whatsoever and from a company which derives more income from selling engines to Indian companies than cars themselves.

Two point that struck me when I visited the Cochin showroom to check out Compass are:

a) As is seen with all sales guys, they are wildly suggesting prices from the range of 21 Lakh OTR for the Sports trim right upto 30 Lakhs for the Top End Limited (O).

b) The Compass shares showroom space with a Grand Cherokkee which is 1.3Crores OTR (Before GST) and the Wrangler which is around 75 Lakhs OTR. It would be really difficult to see a seemingly mass market product in the 15-22 Lakhs vehicle mingling with these legends.

Nevertheless, like all hopefuls, I am hoping against hope that seeing all this frenzy, FCA prices its as a Creta Competitor than a Tucson. I mean there is really no harm in announcing yourself by bringing a car the size of Tucson at a price of Creta for a brand which is giving this as a last shot at glory.

That said, I did read somewhere that the same 2.0 Diesel and 1.4 Multiair Petrol engines are being considered for sale to Fiat's normal engine clientele. Will be interesting to see what Maruti Suzuki does with these engines!

I do have a few pics and a video of Compass's running engine. I will upload them shortly.
theroadrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:48   #1094
BHPian

Got a call from Jeep yesterday inviting me to take a look at the Compass at their showroom. First question was the price. The SA said it would start at 19L and go up to 29L.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 12:37   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks for that video. Looks lovely in that dual shade and makes the Duster look a couple of generations old at least.
I am in a dilemma whether to replace my T-Jet with this later this year considering the attractive prices people are speculating here. I would probably gain a bit on features but am worried if I will lose in terms of pure driving experience. Wouldn't even be considering this swap if my year old Yeti hadn't entered my garage and changed my outlook on what these properly built crossovers can do. 90% of a proper sedan's joy of driving with twice the practicality. Can't wait to test drive this one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks