Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 13:56   #1096
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Very Confused at this point in time

1. The Ranjangaon Plant has the capacity to produce 1.6 lakh vehicles and 3.5 lakh engines
2. The production slab for the Compass is said to be at 50 - 60, 000 units
3. FCA does not sell beyond a couple of thousand (being generous) units annually - of all other vehicles put together.
4. Leaving at least a headroom of 70,000 units !!!!
5. There was speculation that depending on production capacity - high capacity will equal aggressive prices and lower capacity will indicate higher price?
6. Where is the capacity being utilized? Why isnt FCA utilizing the surplus production capacity to produce more Compass? Rudimentary sales says - more units produced = recovery cost per unit is lower / more spread = lower sale price = faster recovery /break even time !!
7. There is talk that they are not anyway looking at huge numbers - because they are present (no service infrastructure) only in bigger cities.
8. Where does it say that the #s cannot come in from bigger cities?
9. The bigger cities can feed the surrounding cities and also the servicing.
10. There is talk that the sales presence will be ramped up to 50 locations by the launch date!
11. IF they foresee a demand - why isnt production being ramped up beyond the 50 - 60 K units - (I understand that up to half may go for export)
12. If the goal for FCA is to target 1.8 million Jeeps across the globe in 2017 & 2018 - this 60K units is not even close to that number.
13. I agree that the Compass is just one of the models in the line up - in spite of that the numbers dont add up ( I agree there are 4 production sites across the world - with the China plant to service the local market only)
14. BUT the Compass is the most affordable product and will be expected to contribute to a huge percentage of the 1.8 Mn units to be sold. Again - the numbers dont add up.

Can the more experienced BHPians (inside information, manufacturing, automotive industry, analysts.....) comment on this.

Anyway Hoping for a VERY AGGRESSIVE PRICING on the Top End with more features.

BTW - 6,18,000 views - 1000 + comments - and not a single Compass Sold - Yet ! I like it.

Last edited by PM - B : 20th July 2017 at 14:03.
PM - B is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:10   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The last few pages is like wishing for horses! I was hauled for stating a price of ₹18 lakh on road! Now the discussion is about pricing it below ₹10 lakhs. Hope people don't expect to buy a Jeep Compass and end up getting a couple of lakhs as gift from FCA! Can we all just come back from the fairy dreamland and be realistic!

Jeep Compass is a good product , just because FIAT India had failed earlier shouldn't be the reason to expect Vitara Brezza or Hyundai Creta prices. Jeep Compass is definitely above that class and FCA should be given a standing ovation if they price the base model around the price of top end Hyundai Creta.
Expecting for a sub 10 lakh pricing for this beauty is just plain horrendous. Have these people even cared to read the performance figures before even quoting this price? I just wonder what they Feel an Abarth Punto should be worth off?

I just happened to see one in flesh in black near Santacruz Highway (Mumbai) and it looked menacing.

I genuinely believe this product will get the numbers for FCA
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:05   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Saw a camouflaged Compass in Bavdhan area of Pune, it was not having any LED lights but normal bulbs on tail and headlamp (bulb DRL like Lodgy ? )
Wheels were alloys though. Looked like 'base' variant.
Then I saw a blue colored one (Volvo Pole Star car blue) with black roof, with LED tail-lamps (this one wasnt camouflaged) and she looked very good with dirt all over it due to rains !
NiInJa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:27   #1099
BHPian

The conversations regarding the comparison of Compass with Creta can lead to the following inferences:

1) Hyundai's market research in India has been spot on.

2) We seem to value gimmicky/non-mandatory features more than the real ingredients that make a car which are its mechanicals.

Long live Indian Auto scene
Waspune is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 15:54   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Expecting for a sub 10 lakh pricing for this beauty is just plain horrendous. Have these people even cared to read the performance figures before even quoting this price? I just wonder what they Feel an Abarth Punto should be worth off?
I guess it was me who started with the sub 10 lakh pricing . With Compass being compared with Creta and how it would be suicidal if they price it closer to Tucson and how it can generate volumes only if priced on par or little over Creta, I made the point to price it in Breeza/Ecosport range and achieve humongous success with 20K units per month easily. It was meant to be taken lightly and no one else suggested that price point.

On an another lighter note, Abarth Punto should be competing between Alto and Tiago. For justification read through this thread about FCA .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
Guys please don't delete my post as being sarcastic ��. Any possibility that Jeep can decrease some features and launch the car below 10 lakhs? It comes in my affordable budget. They can actually gain much more market share easily 20k per month and it would really make huge visibility about the brand in our market. Slowly they can increase the price once the demand has sky rocketed or once I have made my purchase.

When I was buying a car I really liked creta, duster, terrano and I asked myself why cant they have their top end at 9.99 lakhs. With terrano number struggling I really thought they could achieve it. So When I see suggested prices like 12.5 lakhs for Jeep , I could easily relate to it as I had similar wish for other cars and would have ended up buying them if they were priced lower.

Definitely I am not against FCA pricing compass at 12.5 but I feel if they could then Nissan should have definitely priced terrano top end at 9.99 lakhs and gained some market share. I would have definitely bought it though it doesn't have ACC.

Last edited by jaganpec2002 : 20th July 2017 at 15:56.
Old 20th July 2017, 15:56   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post

6. Where is the capacity being utilized?
I guess I realize the answer to points 4 & 6 in my own post above!!

Tata vehicles are also manufactured out of the same plant and there goes the capacity !!

Which should also mean that the Tata vehicles should benefit and have similar quality as the Compass as the manufacturing processes / assembly line - should/ may be the same as the Compass - though not sure they are advertising the same.
PM - B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 16:12   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Very Confused at this point in time

1. The Ranjangaon Plant has the capacity to produce 1.6 lakh vehicles and 3.5 lakh engines
2. The production slab for the Compass is said to be at 50 - 60, 000 units
3. FCA does not sell beyond a couple of thousand (being generous) units annually - of all other vehicles put together.
This plant is utilised to manufacture Tata vehicles as well (the Ranjangaon plant is a 50:50 JV between TML & FCA), with 65,000 vehicles produced for TML, and the balance for FCA & Jeep. TML's production capacity is largely fully utilised (the Zest, Indica, Indigo & Nexon are produced here), it's only the FCA capacity which is free.

The production slab of 50,000 units is based on FCA's estimates for how many Compass' they will sell globally in RHD markets! I'm sure IF it is a bumper hit in India, they will increase the local production.

Quote:

12. If the goal for FCA is to target 1.8 million Jeeps across the globe in 2017 & 2018 - this 60K units is not even close to that number.
13. I agree that the Compass is just one of the models in the line up - in spite of that the numbers dont add up ( I agree there are 4 production sites across the world - with the China plant to service the local market only)
14. BUT the Compass is the most affordable product and will be expected to contribute to a huge percentage of the 1.8 Mn units to be sold. Again - the numbers dont add up.
As I mentioned, only RHD models will be produced in India. With the largest demand coming from LHD markets (North America, South America, Europe & China), these models will be produced in Mexico, Brazil & China. Combined production across these plants is expected to be well over 500,000 units of the Compass. Alongwith their other models, they are well on target to hit the 1.8m figure.

Last edited by phoenixash : 20th July 2017 at 16:19. Reason: Updated post
phoenixash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 16:29   #1103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess I realize the answer to points 4 & 6 in my own post above!!.
Today's tweet from TATA clearly shows this.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_9034.jpg

One side we can see all Nexon cars lined up and the other side of the frame is filled with Compass.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 17:06   #1104
BHPian

Just got a call from Jeep Pune since I had registered my interest for a test drive in their website. Launch is on July 31st as already known. I wanted test drive for automatic only since I have got used to my Creta automatic and there is no way I will be going in for a manual in future.

She asked petrol or diesel and when I mentioned diesel, there was a momentary silence and then she said that it will take time and no dates were given. When asked about petrol automatic, she said that it will be released in October. No word, even in whispers, about the price. Well, let's wait.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:53   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I completely agree with bhaskaracs and reddevilgautam

I have mentioned this earlier too - Jeep can not afford to go anything above 10% over creta
All those who are saying that they haven't compromised on quality - I just have one question guys - should this come as a surprise? Or should we not expect good quality as a basic norm?

Hyundai enjoys a market share only second to maruti and has been notorious with pricing their sub par products by giving great quality feel on what can be seen and felt, and dismal quality just below the skin. Their vehicles are feature packed but are ridiculous in terms of reliability and long term ownership.
Whatever the Jeep diehards (which includes me) feel, Jeep, as a brand has no recall in this market, for people Jeep means a Mahindra Thar / Bolero. On of my moneyed friends was looking for a SUV upgrade and I suggested him the Jeep (Grand Cherokee) he said "main Indian gari nahi rakhta" (I don't keep Indian cars). Hearing that, I decided not to waste my time in explaining and he has now got himself a Q7.

Jeep in India has already tasted the failure of not being able to make the numbers on the current offerings, Compass is their best bet to make amends and offer something which will rival the likes of Creta, XUV etc.

They also need to localise the Wrangler to bring it under 20 Lacs bracket to be able to sustain in the market, otherwise there are too many SUV's, Mini SUV's, Micro SUV's crowding the market.
m_upreti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 20:31   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Whatever the Jeep diehards (which includes me) feel, Jeep, as a brand has no recall in this market, for people Jeep means a Mahindra Thar / Bolero. On of my moneyed friends was looking for a SUV upgrade and I suggested him the Jeep (Grand Cherokee) he said "main Indian gari nahi rakhta" (I don't keep Indian cars). Hearing that, I decided not to waste my time in explaining and he has now got himself a Q7.
Funnily, this is the same reaction I received from many friends when I discussed Jeep's entry into the country. One of them even had the audacity to call it a Mahindra rip-off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

They also need to localise the Wrangler to bring it under 20 Lacs bracket to be able to sustain in the market, otherwise there are too many SUV's, Mini SUV's, Micro SUV's crowding the market.
Localizing the Wrangler to bring it under 20 lakhs is out of the question, when the localized Compass and Renegade themselves will be in and around that price-range.

40 lakhs is more realistic.

I seriously doubt they would go down that road though. The volumes simply don't warrant CKDs and assembly for a product like the Wrangler. At least, not at the moment and the near future.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th July 2017 at 20:33.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 23:22   #1107
BHPian

@All
Please do not take my trip / flame me

My version of the Compass -

4x4 Limited (0) in Black (Hip Hop Black - FCA speak)
6 Speed Dual Range MT
2.0L Diesel - Output at least 200 BHP & 500 NM Torque

The Bumper bottoms move - Approach & Departure angles at 30 Deg or more and are speed dependent - (they are hydraulically actuated and come to the normal position at speeds above 50 KM/H as in the normal Compass and below 50 KM/H are at above angles as in the Trailhawk)

Quadra Lift - Where in the Compass loses ride height and hunkers down at highway speeds like a performance sedan! Below 50 KM/H it can be at the current ride height or even higher when the low range engages
360 Deg View Camera

Weight maintained at the current max of 1700 KGs
A moon roof would be nice for the night rides.
A few more convenience and luxury goodies wont hurt with the above - (HUD, Lumbar Support, Navigation, Cruise Control, Cooled Seats, Better more powerful ICE, Auto everything)
ORVM which turn down when reverse is engaged
Nicer Alloys

Last edited by PM - B : 20th July 2017 at 23:39.
Old 21st July 2017, 07:55   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
@All
Please do not take my trip / flame me

My version of the Compass -
On a further lighter note, I hope they give it at the price of a Creta
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 07:59   #1109
BHPian

Just visited the local Jeep dealership for a quick looksee at the Compass. Following points noted:
1. Front chin /spoiler looks dangerously close to the ground.
2. When I put my foot on the clutch, part of my boot could feel the steering shaft rotating ,as I turned the steering wheel. Not something that I would've expected in a Jeep.
3. AWD version has a waiting period of about 4 months for this dealership, with deliveries expected not before November.
4. All promo videos shown to us were almost entirely of the trailhawk version, which at present time has no schedule for launch in India.
Old 21st July 2017, 10:45   #1110
BHPian

A few pics from compass up close and personal
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1500614120084.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1500614137426.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1500614166085.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1500614189148.jpg  

theroadrunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks