Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 15:30   #1321
BHPian

This is epic pricing by FCA.In all likelihood they have heard all the murmurs and have effectively priced the Jeep Compass.What I heard from the sales team is that this will be introductory price and will go up shortly.Makes me happy that at last we have a truly global car with safety features at an appropriate price point.Now will wait for the initial batches to pass the tests and book mine early next year.And congratulations to all who will get their deliveries soon!
Old 31st July 2017, 15:31   #1322
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
A quick comparison on road cost for Mumbai-- Courtesy Carwale. The Limited AT undercuts the Octavia and the Tucson by 2 lacs approx.
But, Octavia has that sweet 1.8 L TSI motor under the hood. But, yes Compass is definitely better than the 2 L NA Petrol motor of Tucson which should be a gas guzzler.

This is indeed excellent pricing covering lot of segments, from Compact SUVs, Full Size SUVs, Executive Sedans, etc and it is going to give a lot of head ache to the competition.

Now, it's over to Hyundai to shave off atleast a lakh off Creta and Tucson prices and hope Jeep launches the Renegade in 2019, by which time I would be in the market for a new car.

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 31st July 2017 at 15:36.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:38   #1323
Senior - BHPian

FANTASTIC pricing!!

This might be FCA's ticket to success in India?

Someone please confirm that 6 airbags are available as an option on all variants.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:49   #1324
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass EDIT: Priced between 14.95 lakhs to 20.65 lakhs!

I personally feel that FCA isn't going to sell huge numbers inspite of what everyone feels here.

I feel they are atleast 15% more expensive than what they should've been.

Please don't stone me for this guys but I really don't see it flying off the shelf at these prices. Base models might sell - but 20 lacs ex showroom for the top end means close to 23 lacs on road - I really am not sure how many buyers they will find at that price point.

I was very seriously contemplating buying the top end petrol - but at these prices I feel it is under equipped. I guess I will either buy another Octavia or maybe try out the new corolla now. Makes more sense somehow.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 31st July 2017 at 15:55.
samyakmodi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:53   #1325
BHPian

The pricing has left me confused.

It is indeed good pricing, especially the diesel. I never expected the diesel to be priced just 50K above the petrol. I expected a gulf of at least 1.5L.

I was eyeing the petrol AT, knowing fully well that I would not be able to afford it, but had it come with 6 airbags, I would have been tempted to stretch myself to it.

So, I would be settling for the base petrol or diesel. Now, the 50K difference makes the diesel a no-brainer, but wait, not so easy. The road tax structure in Kerala, taxes cars below 15L at 10% and those above it at 15%. That increases the gulf between the base petrol and diesel to 1.35L.

Now the heart says, diesel and the mind says, petrol.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:57   #1326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
It is indeed good pricing, especially the diesel. I never expected the diesel to be priced just 50K above the petrol. I expected a gulf of at least 1.5L.
I was always mentioning this earlier. We are used to the big price difference between NA petrol engines and Turbo diesels.

But the 1.4 Multiair is a VVT + Turbo. Was pretty sure it would be priced closer to the diesel.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:59   #1327
BHPian

Some salient points (from http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...ctures/787491/)

The Jeep Compass will measure 4,395 mm in length, 1,816 mm in width, 1,640 mm in height and have a wheelbase of 2,636 mm. The fuel tank capacity of the SUV is 60 litres and the kerb weight is 1,537 kg. 178 mm GC.

1. The diesel engine which will be offered in the Jeep Compass will be a 2.0 litre Multijet II unit that will generate 172 hp of power and 350 Nm of torque. This engine would be available only with a 6-speed manual transmission and will have a claimed fuel efficiency of 17.1 kmpl.

2. The petrol engine which will be offered with an automatic transmission as well will be a 1.4 litre Multiair unit. This motor will produce 161 hp of power and 250 Nm of torque. Only the Jeep Compass Sport and Compass Limited variants will be offered with the petrol engine option, while the Compass Longitude would be offered only with the diesel engine option.

3. Safety features in the Jeep Compass would include cornering fog lamps, six airbags, Electronic Stability Control, Passive Entry, Reverse Parking Camera and Electronic Parking Brake. As a passive safety feature, the parking brake disengages only when the driver's seat belt is engaged.

For more pls visit the link.
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:59   #1328
BHPian

Fiat India has a winner in its hands! A Good Product backed by Killer Pricing must give them unprecedented thrust in the Indian market!

5k+ bookings in this segment is no mean achievement! But I hope Fiat is ready to meet the demand. Treat your first customers well and watch them advocate your product. In the past Fiat has been found wanting on the sales & service aspect despite offering real vfm products!
abhi413 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:08   #1329
Team-BHP Support

Spoke to a Jeep Mumbai SA and he estimated that the top end (Limited - O) Diesel 4x4 would retail in Bbay at about 24 lakhs based on the above ex-showroom prices. He said add approx 3 - 3.5 lakhs over the ex showroom.

If they can bring the 4x4 A/T with a nice pano sunroof for about 26-27 lakh on road it'll be a great option.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:11   #1330
BHPian

@RavenAvi what is your plan now? Will it be Compass or will it beNexon? Or one for heart and one for mind? 😁. Quite an interesting predicament for you I suppose.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:15   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
So, I would be settling for the base petrol or diesel. Now, the 50K difference makes the diesel a no-brainer, but wait, not so easy. The road tax structure in Kerala, taxes cars below 15L at 10% and those above it at 15%. That increases the gulf between the base petrol and diesel to 1.35L.

Now the heart says, diesel and the mind says, petrol.

The Compass is a heavy vehicle and not sure what the petrol mileage will turnout to be in real world conditions. Between the two, go for the diesel.

Also I am not a great advocate of base trims, simply because you would have spent the money and will feel short changed on a lot of missing features and safety kit, I would personally look one segment lower and buy the top spec. It's hard at this moment. Wait out for the pricing euphoria to die down and take a decision.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:15   #1332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
But at these prices I feel it is under equipped. I guess I will either buy another Octavia or maybe try out the new corolla now. Makes more sense somehow.
Almost every SUV out there feels under equipped as compared to the D segment sedans like Octavia. That's clearly what Skoda is also targeting with their latest ad series questioning why buyers are buying for SUVs without features.

But the fact is - the road conditions and suspension force many to look at SUVs and such vehicles instead of sedans. Compromising features for the rugged design and build. This is not just happening to this particular segment - but across the board as well. Look at how Brezza, Creta, Fortuner, Innova etc are attacking their sedan segment competition without having equivalent features, or at a much higher price than the sedans.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:18   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pricing. I hope they have upped their backend prior to the launch. This will be lapped up quickly and would expect a slight blip in Creta and a more than slight blip in XUV Sales. It looks good and the SUV is superbly equipped. You almost get a D segment sedan at the price of a CSUV +change.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:26   #1334
BHPian

I believe, like most SUV makers FCA too anticipated higher demand for its Diesel variant, however it's not surprising to see the surge in Petrol SUVs.
After all SUVs are not just meant for long distance travels only anymore

Coming back to the point, the 1.4 MultiAir is expensive [since its imported] and seems like FCA is trying to make customers stick more to the 2.0L localized diesel engine.

Talking about bells & whistles...... people want a low pricing as well as feature rich... I feel only time will tell when FCA may incorporate those changes during Facelift or maybe next Full model change.

Loads of cost cutting seen in the vehicle, however I thought to myself
How many times as a single driver do I adjust the seats ?

As for the sunroof, FCA had declared in the beginning if the demand for Sun-Roof persists, then they're ready and can roll out soon

4x4 in Petrol would make it a real gas guzzler and then customers (typical) would complain of poor mileage...so I guess one reason to drop 4x4 in Petrol.
Plus if we count the price premium one would have to pay, they'd get into the Fortuner Price territory [1.4 Turbo + 4x4 + Panoramic Sunroof ] approx 25L ex showroom prices
FIAT3031 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:36   #1335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well realistically my guess is the prices will start at 16L for the base Sport model and then 17.5 for Longitude, 18 for Longitude O model and then 19 for Limited 4x2, 20. 5 L for Limited 4x4 and 21L for Limited 4x4 (O) ex showroom.
The Petrol 1.4 would probably come in only the Limited with Automatic and should also be 20 L.
That is my estimate on the Jeep prices after having seen it and also having booked it.
1000 # is a good number for the bookings in 3 days.
Assuming these are the prices, how many of us are booking the Compass - please share on this thread if you are booking or already booked.
We are all eagerly waiting for the TBHP review which we hope will come out soon!
For people who have not seen it yet, please do see it first before pricing it, as you will only get an idea of the car only after seeing it!
Quoting myself, I was very close on the price guess and FCA has actually bettered my estimates! It is good aggressive pricing by FCA and will help build initial success and visibility on the roads for the brand. Kudos to FCA for catching the right market positioning.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks