Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 18:57   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Well, not sure about others, but I am a tad disappointed by the fact that 4x4 (and I am assuming it does not include a low-range transfer case as yet, since it is available only on the Trailhawk variant) is present only on the diesel. Thoughts?
Old 31st July 2017, 19:01   #1352
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant pricing .

And trust me, it's one heck of a car. I took her out a couple of times, including a highway run. S-o-l-i-d build, sweet 2.0L diesel, smooth gearshift (first Fiat product whose gear stick & me see eye to eye), balanced road manners, nice steering (especially for an EPS), satisfactory interior quality (no wow factor though, straightforward design), AWD hardware etc. Believe you me, she has long legs and is actually a lot of fun to drive on the open road (by SUV standards). That 2.0 diesel is awesome. Jeep better not share this engine with others . It's a competitive advantage.

Downsides = Small, narrow cabin and hatchback-like rear seat in terms of size & space (strict 4 seater). Rear legroom is just adequate, although not excessive by any measure. Ride quality is liveable, but nowhere as plush as the Duster & Hexa. In the Compass, you will feel the bad roads, and potholes at low - mid speeds too. Cabin goes through noticeable side-to-side movement when going over a broken road in the city (try the same in a Duster - big difference). Lastly, its smaller in size than you'd expect after looking at the pictures.

Despite the compact size, what it has oodles of is character. Don't ask me why or how - see it, drive it on the highway, then you'll agree with me. The Creta feels rather flavourless in comparison, as all-rounded as the Hyundai is.

Engineering-wise, I knew it's the top pick in the segment after driving it. The price now makes it a no-brainer. Would really love to buy one...alas, don't need another car.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2017 at 22:04. Reason: Typo
GTO is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:15   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2017 at 19:19.
coolkurt is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st July 2017, 19:16   #1354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That 2.0 diesel is awesome. Jeep better not share this engine with others . It's a competitive advantage.
Already TATA has placed an order for 70k engines for their upcoming flagship SUV.

Anyways, I'll be happy to see an equally competent TATA as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:27   #1355
BHPian

Just saying

Hope Jeep ensure timely deliveries ! Else all will be lost!
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:32   #1356
BHPian

The Compass becomes a very tempting product at this price point. I hope it gives other car manufacturers some sort of sense when pricing their products(read Crysta). I guess this pricing is going to cause some commotion at the otherwise silent Jeep showroom.
Old 31st July 2017, 19:33   #1357
Distinguished - BHPian

FCA has aggressively priced the Jeep Compass, exposing its peers in pricing. Here is how Jato compares the diesel pricing,

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture.jpg

New Jeep Compass hits Indian car market, with C-SUV total sales down 4% in H1-17, counting for 4.2% of total market.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dgdva_ixgaaf3k0.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st July 2017 at 19:39.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:48   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
It's a killer pricing. They have killed XUV and likes. I hope they are able to compliment the product with their service. That area is still a grey. But overall fantastic product with bang on pricing. FCA you deserve full applause for this one.
Wow seeing this Anand Mahindra just ordered close of product lines for XUV.

Few insignificants points, but debatable-
- 5 seater vs 7 seater
- JEEP is still unknown brand for many mortals
- My uncle is still not convinced why S-cross is costlier then Brezza and how per square inch premium Tucson is charging over Creta
- Reach of Mahindra, Hyundai and even Tata over Jeep
- 11.xx ex-showroom for XUV and Hexa, Compass is starting good 2-3 lac above, and I am talking ex-showroom only. On road it might translate into EMI difference of 10k.

I feel it will surely fill gap between Creta and Fortuner which Tucson can't. Yes there would be some cross selling across XUV/ Creta and Compass but I don't feel it can command over 500 sales month on month after the initial hype.

Last edited by Passiautonate : 31st July 2017 at 19:52.
Passiautonate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:54   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant pricing .
Hi GTO,

thanks for your inputs and feedback. Ive been trying to understand the Ground Clearance of the Compass but their website doesnt have it. Any idea what the GC is ?

Thanks

Kundan

Last edited by Samurai : 31st July 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Avoid quoting the whole text.
Old 31st July 2017, 19:57   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant pricing.
A killer pricing, thank god I was waiting and contemplating on another top end Scorpio to replace my 2008 model. This will surely take some customers off from the XUV500 as the Sport pricing is pretty close to the W8 with definitely lot less gizmos but more buck for the SUV enthusiasts. I will not enven mention the likes of Creta & Tuscon here as this is a far better package. The Nexon top end also may have some attrition but that too is a brilliant package, although will leave it for a different thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st July 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Avoid quoting the whole text.
Old 31st July 2017, 19:59   #1361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi GTO,

thanks for your inputs and feedback. Ive been trying to understand the Ground Clearance of the Compass but their website doesnt have it. Any idea what the GC is ?

Thanks

Kundan
Ground clearance is 178mm, as per the new rules where laden weight is used to calculate GC.

To put it in perspective, the new Fortuner has 184mm GC.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:09   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi GTO,

Thanks

Kundan
Its 178 mm unladen and 155 mm fully laden as per what I can find online. To put in perspective VW Tiguan's full laden GC stands at 149 mm.

@Crazy dRiver: So as per new rules shouldn't the GC should be 155 mm and not 178 mm.

Last edited by Waspune : 31st July 2017 at 20:13.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:12   #1363
BANNED

Just as GTO sums up his impressions, it is clear that the limited space and the ride quality will limit its mass market appeal. It will appeal a lot to us enthusiasts though and that is the only user group I can see going after this, without a doubt.

For others, the Creta, XUV and Hexas of the world exist which offer more "VFM". The solid build and engineering of the compass is its USP which has no parallel in this segment under 20 lacs. I think the pricing is completely reasonable but not exciting or repelling. I think they could have at least souped up the variants a bit (the base should have had the features from the 2nd one, I mean come on You won't offer parking sensors on a 15 lac car?) and adding segment first features like a Panoramic roof and the other gizmos that XUV offers.

I am really excited to see how the market responds to this one.
agambhandari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:14   #1364
BHPian

A pat on the back to FCA. Stupendous pricing for a wonderful product.
A friend of mine was keen on the Octavia and I kept insisting him to wait for the Jeep. Have sent him a link of this thread, let us see how he reacts. Might even accompany him for a test drive if he goes.
This will probably be my next car (though that purchase is 2 years away)

I sincerely hope that FCA launch the AT Diesel in the Limited trim.
I, for one, do not need 4x4, but definitely need the next car to be AT.

I feel the Duster, Terrano and Creta need to cut their prices by 3 lacs and the Honda City should begin giving 40% all season discount.
All the over-priced products should face the reality.

Best wishes to FCA. May competition thrive.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:18   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Its 178 mm unladen and 155 mm fully laden as per what I can find online. To put in perspective VW Tiguan's full laden GC stands at 149 mm.

@Crazy dRiver: So as per new rules shouldn't the GC should be 155 mm and not 178 mm.
That doesnt sound very encouraging because my neighbour just got the Tiguan and its looks like a station wagon. Very low slung and not SUV like at all. Time to head to the Dealership and find out.

Thanks for your inputs
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed