Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 15:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Tuscon may or may not bring in volumes for Hyundai, yet by no means it may be considered that FCA will pitch Compass against Creta. The Compass can certainly be assumed in the league of Tuscon, may be even better and hence it would not be sustainable for FCA to look at a C segment cross-over as its competition.

It looks to be promising as of now and the Indian market / customers are maturing for good products even if it is targeting a niche segment. Anything beyond 500 copies a month is good at the moment for FCA instead of bleeding with losses by making it compete against Creta. They should not underestimate their product and the technology that they have brought with Compass.

I would want to see FCA making profits from direct sales by establishing the brand and aspirational product line instead of surrogate survival through sale of MJD engines in India.

Let's wait and watch !

Last edited by i74js : 24th April 2017 at 15:27.
i74js is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 15:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for that great overview. Can't wait to read the detailed report and see the interior pics as and when they release it. Hopefully it'll carry forward the same quality.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 15:52   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

At last, FCA has a good strategy to get decent volumes in the Indian Car Market. If starting price is between Creta and Tucson and the top-of-the-line ends up being priced just above the Tucson, this car will attract good volumes.

The big-car look, the long list of features and good quality interiors along with smart pricing will definitely attract the Indian buyer.

Some Interior pics of the USA Compass

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep-1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep3.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep5.jpg

Courtesy: http://www.jeep.com/compass/interior.html

Last edited by MAS : 24th April 2017 at 16:13.
MAS is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Jeep, as we know, has two main model lines - utilitarian (Wrangler) and premium (Grand Cherokee). The Compass comes under the premium line. In terms of positioning, it will be placed below the Grand Cherokee in the company's model line-up.

This single statement/ line is a giveaway for me that the Compass will not be cheap. Expecting it around Creta pricing will only cause heartburn and we'll later blame Fiat India for our unrealistic expectations.
k_ajay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:19   #20
BHPian

This Compass is headed true north !

I think the Compass looks great and would 18l ex-showroom for the base model be hoping for too much?

The interiors look swell and I hope they dont cheap out for Indian customers.

Isn't the lack of dealerships a concern? I think in Bangalore, there are only 4 Fiat dealerships, will all these also sell Jeeps or only a couple will be upgraded?
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Are people expecting it to be between Creta & Tucson? IMO, base model will start over XUV & run into Tucson territory. Anything less would be good pricing. If it's less than XUV, what really is XUVs USP?
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like a drool package. Loved both the engine options too. Hope Fiat prices it right, make it niggle free with good service back up. I have read many horror stories on jeep in the internet & i sincerely hope those will be taken care off after the launch in India. Else it will see the fate of Punto/Linea. Enthusiasts will say many good things about the suv but at the time of buying they will put their money in more trusted brands like Toyota, Ford, Hyundai or may b Mahindra!
From childhood am a big fan of Fiat/Jeep and i badly want to see success from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
178 mm Ground Clearance?! for a Jeep!! Im speechless
The ride height should be more. My guess is its like the new gen Scorpio, which on paper mentions its GC to be 165mm or Xuv500 which mentions 160mm but their ride heights are far more.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...view-price.png

The GC of Fiat Avventura is stated to be 205mm, so jeep cant be lower than that. Ground clearance is taken from the lowest part of the car from the ground.
From the below pic it looks like the GC has been measured from the protrusion (air deflector) below the front bumper to reduce air drag in higher speeds. Generally these parts can be removed or taken care off, before going for offroading. So hope this wont be an issue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...compass-13.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 24th April 2017 at 20:31.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The company has invested US$ 280 million / Rs. 1800 crore in the Compass project. We had a small tour of the Ranjangaon plant, where the car is built.
Thanks for the detailed account!!

Quote:
Some of the processes used in the production of the Compass include:
1. Laser welding - for the first time in India, even the doors are laser welded for added strength
Not sure if this is the first time in India - multiple manufacturers have introduced laser welding, one prominent one being the VW Vento/Polo with its laser welded roof.

Though, really looking forward to the launch of this car!
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 20:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

1.4-litre turbocharged petrol for a vehicle of this size & weight (1600+ Kgs)?
The lag will be amazing.

Lastly, why is the Ground clearance just 178 mm?
What is the point of 4x4 with such a paltry GC?
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 21:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
This Compass is headed true north !

I think the Compass looks great and would 18l ex-showroom for the base model be hoping for too much?
My info is that Jeep is taking it as their last chance in India and are going all out to ensure this is a success. 90% localization is a step in this direction. They are taking Creta and XUV as their main competitors and are going to price base model at 17+ lacs and top model at 20+ lacs.

This price range does not include Automatics
JKBKS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 23:51   #26
BHPian

The success of this is in pricing. I have currently rented out a Jeep Compass in US and just completed a 1000miles drive over the weekend.

Looking at the exteriors and interiors it no doubt that this is one of the cheapest SUVs available in the US. The interiors is nothing spectacular , it is plane jane and does its job well.

The gear box to me was confused or a better word is lazy. If you accelarate hard it takes sometime for the gearbox to determine the gears , which can become tricky in fast overtakes. You have to plan the overtake well in advance.

Overall given a choice I would not pay more than 20L for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170422_104627.jpg  

vikrantj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 05:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
The success of this is in pricing. I have currently rented out a Jeep Compass in US and just completed a 1000miles drive over the weekend.
The Compass you drove is the previous generation model which was launched in 2007 and facelifted around 2012.

It shares nothing - platform, engine or a transmission with the new car . Only thing that's similar is the name.

Watch a few 2017 Jeep Compass reviews and you will find that it's a quantum leap over the previous one and nothing like the previous one.
Ragavsr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 06:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to the Bangalore dealer yesterday. The automatic diesel is expected be launched positively by October and the Trailhawk by early 2018.

They are expecting a price range of 18-22 lakhs to start and guessing that the diesel automatic will be priced between 24-25 lakhs.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 07:52   #29
Team-BHP Support

Definitely a very positive move by FCA. I guess this is the single biggest move after MJD endeavor. While the lower pricing remains a suspect, but the other end of line; point on high levels of localisation also makes one think otherwise. The thoughts definitely seed in that direction. But yes the fact that we all have been craving for a good premium compact SUV after all seems to be getting fulfilled thanks to FCA. It now remains to be seen how they price it. Both petrol and diesel seem strong options.

Also; all the elements here look in place for a volume game. It would be good to see where are they in terms of the service quotient for this product.

Last edited by ampere : 25th April 2017 at 07:53.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 09:59   #30
BANNED

We can argue for and against pricing it low or high, but the fact remains that no automobile manufacturer can sell a product for loss for long. It's at the end of the day a business, they can't do that, period. I think FCA would have made burned lot of midnight oil before deciding to plonk ₹ 1800 crore on Jeep Compass. With around 90% localisation, they won't price it low enough to end up in losses , or high enough to end up with paltry sales. I don't know why some bhpians jump on to some conclusions without having anything other than hearsay or guesses regarding the prices. A few in the forum like this is speculating like day traders in Dalal street. What are we trying to prove?
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed