Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 10:35   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Great report, Aditya! Your preview is more detailed than most full reviews that others post online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
178 mm Ground Clearance?! for a Jeep!! Im speechless
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Lastly, why is the Ground clearance just 178 mm?
What is the point of 4x4 with such a paltry GC?
While I partially agree with you, lets wait until it's properly tested on-road & off-road. My Classic 4x4 has lesser on paper ground clearance - want to see the things she can do? Even the Scorpio & XUV500 have such low on-paper ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Tuscon may or may not bring in volumes for Hyundai, yet by no means it may be considered that FCA will pitch Compass against Creta.
Good post, thanks. I think the Compass will easily be a 25 lakh SUV, at least for the nice variants. It's also a space that isn't too crowded. Jeep could well be targeting the large volume of Creta / XUV500 owners who desire an upgrade.

The grossly overpriced Cherokee has given brand Jeep a sort of a premium image, so I guess the CBU's purpose is served. The Compass will be entering this segment on a high note.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2017 at 10:37.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Overall given a choice I would not pay more than 20L for this.
Picking on your "this', and your experience with your rental, is it not the previous gen Compass that you experienced?

There are hardly any common points between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Not sure if this is the first time in India - multiple manufacturers have introduced laser welding, one prominent one being the VW Vento/Polo with its laser welded roof.
Yup, but this is a first for the doors, as stated by Aditya.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 25th April 2017 at 10:40.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 11:01   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
178 mm Ground Clearance?! for a Jeep!! Im speechless
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While I partially agree with you, lets wait until it's properly tested on-road & off-road. My Classic 4x4 has lesser on paper ground clearance - want to see the things she can do? Even the Scorpio & XUV500 have such low on-paper ground clearance.
Quote:
Probably because of this -

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-13.jpg

Maybe there will be an off-road focussed mid variant without this aerodynamic thingie.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th April 2017 at 11:04.
SmartCat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 11:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

The signs are all positive with the new Compass - reminds me of the pre-launch days of the (now dead) Ford Fiesta. Hope they get it right with the pricing. This has the making of a game-changer in India; for the segment and also for the brand!
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 11:32   #35
BHPian

I think Jeep has a much bigger problem on their hands than just deciding on the pricing. Most of my friends, even those who have interest in cars have absolutely no idea that this product is coming. I recon to get some interest from the average customer they need to get as many of these as possible on the road ASAP. Newspaper advertisements and positive forum feedback is just not going to cut it for them. This has great looks and people need to see this in the flesh to start to ask questions about this.

All this assuming that they want to sell more than a couple of thousand of these every month. They should have at least a few thousand vehicles ready for delivery on day 1. A great introductory pricing would really help those fly off the shelf.

Last edited by ashishs : 25th April 2017 at 11:33. Reason: Grammer
ashishs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 12:21   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

NDTV Auto's spies have managed to capture the Compass's interiors.

Quote:
The variants caught testing here are Longitude and Limited and we are expecting a base variant Sport to join this brigade. The Limited will be the top-of-the-line variant while the Longitude will probably be the mid-variant on offer.

One look at the cabin and you see the huge difference in both variants. While the Limited variant carries what looks like an 8.8 inch touchscreen infotainment system, the Longitude trim gets a smaller screen which doesn't exactly look like a touchscreen; rather the system looks similar to that on the Renegade.

Both cars which were being tested came with the 6-speed manual transmission and the Longitude was a 4x2 front wheel drive version while the Limited trim was an AWD. It's the Limited trim that will get Jeep's terrain response system which has driving modes that include Snow, Sand and Rock options.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassspied_827x510_81493024166.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassspied_827x510_71493024269.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasscabin_827x510_81493024289.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 13:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The Limited looks identical to the US Jeep Compass pictures posted by MAS earlier:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4188000

http://www.jeep.com/compass/interior.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th April 2017 at 13:05. Reason: URL
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 15:56   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The signs are all positive with the new Compass - reminds me of the pre-launch days of the (now dead) Ford Fiesta. Hope they get it right with the pricing. This has the making of a game-changer in India; for the segment and also for the brand!

It all boils down to the price.
I firmly believe the top spec will cross 32-34L on road Bangalore.
The expectations aired here of this being a 20 lac vehicle are to say the least, very optimistic.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 16:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

A question for the experts. Will the crash test ratings be out by the time the compass is launched. Either IIHS or any other NCAP. Though every one says that it is well built, I am little sceptical on this.

Just take the Ford Mustang for example in the Euro NCAP , most of the videos from Ford boasted about how safe the car is , it got a 2* rating in the Euro NCAP. Apparently Ford didn't expect the Mustang to be picked up for testing.

Is the 2017 Jeep Compass in America the same as the one we are about to get? In that case it just gets a 3* for frontal tests by the NHSTA. I am guessing that this may be the outgoing model.

http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2017-Jee...afety-ratings/

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493118965.568982.jpg

Also the reliability of Jeep keeps haunting me through the excitement of picking the Compass for my daily run. If you just google Americas least reliable cars , the Jeeps are everywhere. That coupled with a poor service network may just blow us out.
Old 25th April 2017, 17:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
It's the Limited trim that will get Jeep's terrain response system which has driving modes that include Snow, Sand and Rock options.
I think thats incorrect. Rock mode is exclusively available on Trailhwak model.

Auto,Snow,Sand & Mud is available on Limited / Longitude models
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2017jeepcompasslimited.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2017jeepcompasstrailhawk.jpg  

LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 19:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Allow me to address the same. I too had the same thought that the GC, while quoted only 178mm, the car did seem to have a higher GC.

When I connected with the FCA team, I was clarified that 178 mm is the LADEN WEIGHT GC, not the actual GC. Apparently there are certain norms in place in which OEMs have to quote ONLY laden weight ground clearance.

From personal opinion, the GC for Jeep Compass is very well over 190mm ~ 200mm

Regards,
Rohan Sachar.
rohansachar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 19:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
The success of this is in pricing. I have currently rented out a Jeep Compass in US and just completed a 1000miles drive over the weekend.
Thats the earlier model, a terrible vehicle if one was feeling charitable. Basically a Mitisubishi Lancer platform with an antique 2.4 gas engine from the terrible Chrysler Neon. Unless you drove a diesel (unlikely in the US) which was either a VW or Merc (on later models) unit.

What they seem to be offering here is the newer one that is based on a Fiat 500 (xl) platform, with Fiat engines. Whether that is an improvement over a Japanese platform with German engines remains to be seen, but you could speculate based on the pedigree.

I suppose there will be those that are waiting for this launch due to its Jeep pedigree - dubious one, in my very humble opinion, but manufacturers like Jeep, Fiat, Mahindra & Enfield typically have a very vocal following with strong views.

Though amongst the common public (mango people) in India the Jeep name is sort of *******ized through association with Mahindra. It would be tough for them to bring in that level of brand differentiation required to penetrate the market and create a separate identity of their own within that crowd.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th April 2017 at 19:37.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 20:03   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thats the earlier model, a terrible vehicle if one was feeling charitable. Basically a Mitisubishi Lancer platform with an antique 2.4 gas engine from the terrible Chrysler Neon. Unless you drove a diesel (unlikely in the US) which was either a VW or Merc (on later models) unit.

What they seem to be offering here is the newer one that is based on a Fiat 500 (xl) platform, with Fiat engines. Whether that is an improvement over a Japanese platform with German engines remains to be seen, but you could speculate based on the pedigree.

I suppose there will be those that are waiting for this launch due to its Jeep pedigree - dubious one, in my very humble opinion, but manufacturers like Jeep, Fiat, Mahindra & Enfield typically have a very vocal following with strong views.

Though amongst the common public (mango people) in India the Jeep name is sort of *******ized through association with Mahindra. It would be tough for them to bring in that level of brand differentiation required to penetrate the market and create a separate identity of their own within that crowd.

Bud

Vocal or not. Todays Indian is a pretty well travelled aspirational sort of chap.
Hence, if the self same Indian can plonk biggish bucks for cars like the Creta, Tucson, Yeti, Q3, X1 and Trailblazer etc, there will be a percentage of those who may convert to a modern Jeep.
I would, if I were in the market.

Saying that, my stance is to 'yenjoy' the Yeti + Gypsy combination as long as possible and then one fine day when I get tired of the abominable snowman, look out for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in the used car market and buy it, substituting the Yeti.
The Gypsy will remain as a 'beater' car.

But all of this depends on price. And the Compass frankly wont land in your or my
Garage at any less than 34 on road for the spec that you or I would want to buy!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 20:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
178 mm Ground Clearance?! for a Jeep!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Maybe there will be an off-road focussed mid variant without this aerodynamic thingie.
For the overseas market, the Compass has a 'Trailhawk' variant with (8.8") 223 mm of ground clearance specifically for off-road trails. FCA should offer this variant atleast as an option for the Indian market.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 21:22   #45
BHPian

Don't think the GC of 178 mm is true......It is mentioned as 221 mm in many of the auto websites during the India launch....

And looking at the profile, no way it looks lesser than 200 mm.

On Road Prices of the Compass would be nothing less than 23 lacs and shall go all the way to 30 lacs, which I still feel is a bargain when you look at the options available in the segment and notwithstanding the Brand and capability of Jeep itself.
Flash777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed