Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2017, 12:21   #211
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Maruti (Dzire, Swift etc.) & Toyota (Innova, Etios) have always been ahead in volume game as they have a strong sales in the cab market along with great dealer network.

It is really creditable that Hyundai has shown such large numbers for the Creta considering it is mainly targeted to private owners. Certainly a runaway success for Hyundai. They have taken a good share from Duster & Terrano. As for the Tuscon, I do not think Hyundai is targeting large sales figures (maybe intentionally??). They may just want to be there to make a statement and put a small dent in taking share from comparable SUVs (CR-V, Innova, XUV, and possibly entry level luxury cross-overs from the 3 big Germans etc).

The JEEP Compass may be a very good SUV and even if priced competitively, unless the dealer network & After Sales Service (ASS) comes close to Hyundai, Maruti, Toyota etc., JEEP may not be able to target volumes. I have driven a JEEP Cherokee in the US quite a bit recently and can certainly say that JEEP make great SUVs. I am just not sure if they will break the sales charts in India, unless they invest in the infra for dealer network etc. From what I see they are currently spending a lot on aggressive marketing to create that brand image, which is really good. If JEEP strikes a right balance between, quality, pricing, dealer network etc., it could give a tough competition to the currently successful Hyundai Creta. From the pictures & videos shared on this forum, the JEEP does look like a solid & great looking SUV. JEEP should provide an option for high end automatic diesel as the Indian customers are willing to spend (e.g. the costly top end variant of the Innova Crysta with diesel AT is selling good numbers), if the right configuration for top end variants is provided.

Last edited by geotracks : 4th June 2017 at 12:23.
geotracks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 19:53   #212
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
The JEEP Compass may be a very good SUV and even if priced competitively, unless the dealer network & After Sales Service (ASS) comes close to Hyundai, Maruti, Toyota etc., JEEP may not be able to target volumes. I have driven a JEEP Cherokee in the US quite a bit recently and can certainly say that JEEP make great SUVs. I am just not sure if they will break the sales charts in India, unless they invest in the infra for dealer network etc. From what I see they are currently spending a lot on aggressive marketing to create that brand image, which is really good. If JEEP strikes a right balance between, quality, pricing, dealer network etc., it could give a tough competition to the currently successful Hyundai Creta.

I really could not agree more.
FCA is completely unprepared as of now for the 'run' on their Jeep Compass, which is likely to begin as soon as the price is announced. And going by all rumours the price is likely to be good!
And it is invariably the lower specced and cheaper versions that will sell by the dozen if the price is as touted. And they just wont be able to handle the servicing rush even for their minor issues that may crop up, with their present infra.
While Im sure they will address this, it will take time.
And in the meanwhile, I expect the unforgiving Indian consumer to set Social Media and Fora such as this one, alight with comments and cribs!
Old 5th June 2017, 08:06   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass diesel automatic coming in early 2018.

The Compass diesel will get the option of a nine-speed automatic unit.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 08:29   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Compass diesel will get the option of a nine-speed automatic unit.

This is the problematic ZF nine speed unit. It has had major reliability issues in the US on the Cherokee. In fact FCA are fighting law suits in America with regards to this transmission.

Hope they will be able to sort it out. Or else buying the Compass automatic will be a hit or miss experience in India.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 10:16   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
This is the problematic ZF nine speed unit. It has had major reliability issues in the US on the Cherokee. In fact FCA are fighting law suits in America with regards to this transmission.

Hope they will be able to sort it out. Or else buying the Compass automatic will be a hit or miss experience in India.
Rightly said. Here's a quote from a recent article for a recall issued for this transmission.

Quote:
Automotive supplier ZF is recalling a control sensor found on nine-speed automatic transmissions used in over 500,000 vehicles. Fiat Chrysler, Honda and Land Rover models are affected; the automakers are responsible for issuing recalls for individual vehicles that use the transmission, and they will perform necessary repairs at dealerships.

Without warning, the transmission can shift into neutral at any speed or gear because of an insufficient crimp on a wiring harness attached to the sensor cluster. Models affected include the 2014-16 Jeep Cherokee, 2015-16 Jeep Renegade, 2015-17 Chrysler 200, 2015-16 RAM ProMaster City, 2016 Fiat 500X, 2014-17 Range Rover Evoque, 2015-17 Land Rover Discovery, 2015-17 Acura TLX (V6) and certain trims of the 2015-16 Honda Pilot.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...#ixzz4j6GEWDWP
Despite of this recall, there are still problems that persist with this gearbox. With hopeless indian consumer laws, its better we watch out. Especially with FCA's thin dealer network.

Last edited by vishy76 : 5th June 2017 at 10:18.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 11:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

I watched that Autocar review and even by the terribly low standards of automotive journalism we have, it was cringe worthy. The reviewer's script sounded like it came from FCA's PR department.

Luckily, I have watched quite a few reviews of this vehicle on YouTube, benefits of having a chromecast, so the interiors are seen in much better detail. This is a run of the mill Jeep product, not one review mentioned anything special, it's good because the old one was terrible, that's hardly a positive.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:53   #217
BHPian

With the plethora of images and details about the Compass already in Public domain, why would FIAT need to still use camouflage while testing the car? Spotted a fully camo compass near chandni chowk in Pune. Does testing still go on even at this late stage? Maybe they are just transporting the car to a showroom?
any insights will be appreciated.
Old 5th June 2017, 13:03   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Autocar Jeep Compass review can be watched through the below link

http://www.yupptv.in/#!/play/ETNow/A...w/pid/13741405

Thanks a tonne buddy for posting the link.

Just when I thought autocar india couldn't get worse - they brought their standards even lower than a snake's belly.

With the off road section they tried being too cheeky by not really showing the real angles and size of obstacles.

I think it's nothing but an advertorial which autocar india is popular for.

That being said the car looks quiet handsome and only fly in the ointment is lack of sunroof. Not that it's of any use - but it just adds that extra oomph factor.

Is it just me or does the rear seat look a bit claustrophobic? High waistline which contributes to small glass area coupled with sloping roof with very little headroom for anyone above 5'9.

Since it seemed like an advertorial to me - either the prices mentioned would be just that or maybe about 10% lower to make it look more appealing. But for sure wouldn't be higher!!
samyakmodi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 15:23   #219
BHPian

Since FCA has invested upfront in plant and tried high level of localizations, they must be aiming for a volume game. Monthly sales number of 25+ Lakhs (OTR) vehicles usually hovers below 500 units (Fortuner/Innnova being exception).
With 500-700 units of Compass, Jeep would not be able to break even in near future.
It's a known fact that Jeep cannot command a premium like Toyota (even Toyota launched Fortuner at 19.xx lakhs), nor it has the brand pull similar to Ze Germans.
Given these constrains, Jeep must take a cue from XUV and price Compass as competitively as possible, establish this as a successful vehicle and then mark up the price.
XUV W8 which costed me 15.2 Lakh OTR 5 years ago, now comes with Automatic Transmission & Sunroof with a price markup of 7+ lakhs, in the guise of W10, of course with evolutionary changes in interiors etc. I don't think this mark up is due to inflation or additional features.

In my opinion 17.xx - 22.xx OTR would the sweet spot for the Compass.

Last edited by Acharya : 5th June 2017 at 15:24.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 16:36   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Since FCA has invested upfront in plant and tried high level of localizations, they must be aiming for a volume game. Monthly sales number of 25+ Lakhs (OTR) vehicles usually hovers below 500 units (Fortuner/Innnova being exception).
With 500-700 units of Compass, Jeep would not be able to break even in near future.
In my opinion 17.xx - 22.xx OTR would the sweet spot for the Compass.
Actually FCA will be delighted if Compass clocks domestic sales number of 500 units a month. I quickly ran my numbers including assumptions around 'cash profit margin', 'pricing escalations yoy for next five years', 'sales decline over next five years', 'depreciation' etc. And including a production mix comprising of 30%/70% between domestic sales and exports, FCA should break-even in three years. I have a feeling FCA just factors in domestic sales of Jeep products as an afterthought in evaluating project/investment viability. Contrary to all the PR and rumours, it could be positioned above Creta/XUV targeting a section of customers who want exclusivity. With its thin dealer/service network, they cannot manage monthly volumes > 1000. And they also cannot offer exclusivity (such as home pick-up/drop, customization etc.) at such volume.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 17:01   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I really could not agree more.
FCA is completely unprepared as of now for the 'run' on their Jeep Compass, which is likely to begin as soon as the price is announced.

And it is invariably the lower specced and cheaper versions that will sell by the dozen if the price is as touted. And they just wont be able to handle the servicing rush even for their minor issues that may crop up, with their present infra.

And in the meanwhile, I expect the unforgiving Indian consumer to set Social Media and Fora such as this one, alight with comments and cribs!
Remember the Uno/Sienna/Palio days?
Huge demand for the cars and a year down the line, the service department was caught offguard. And then how these very cars having long waiting periods flooded the resale market.
Lets hope nothing of that chapter gets repeated, both for consumers as well as FCA's sake.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 17:09   #222
BHPian

Hey Guys, got a call from Jeep today from some 020 number. They were saying the company is launching the Jeep Compass in June 15. I had shown interest in purchase and they said people from my local Fiat will be calling me in a day with the options and pricing.
Anyone got news on this.
deepjaju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 17:55   #223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey Guys, got a call from Jeep today from some 020 number. They were saying the company is launching the Jeep Compass in June 15. I had shown interest in purchase and they said people from my local Fiat will be calling me in a day with the options and pricing.
Anyone got news on this.
Wow, that is fast! Do keep us posted

But I'm really skeptical that they'll reveal the pricing right now. Probably the bookings will open and displayed at dealers but the pricing/cars is expected to come only End July/August.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:34   #224
BHPian

The 2L Multijet is going to be a gas guzzler. Not the same reputation as 1.6 Multijet
See link below:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/compa...6&submodel_id=
  • 2016 Jeep Compass Latitude 2.0L L4 GAS Automatic 6 Speed Sport Utility
    Added Jun 2016 • 10 Fuel-ups
If the mpg is similar in India, it might not be very popular

One more link of the 2 L engine.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Compass.shtml

If I am looking at the wrong engine, please correct

Last edited by bhpfaninblr : 5th June 2017 at 21:35. Reason: link addition
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 22:26   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The 2L Multijet is going to be a gas guzzler. Not the same reputation as 1.6 Multijet
See link below:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/compa...6&submodel_id=
  • 2016 Jeep Compass Latitude 2.0L L4 GAS Automatic 6 Speed Sport Utility
    Added Jun 2016 • 10 Fuel-ups
If the mpg is similar in India, it might not be very popular

One more link of the 2 L engine.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Compass.shtml

If I am looking at the wrong engine, please correct
----------------------------------

It says Gasoline ... which is Petrol in US .... these fuel figures are not for the Diesel for sure.
Further, in US the Compass comes with different engines and not the ones being contemplated for the Indian market.
namit is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed