Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 17:15   #511
J.Ravi

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Agreed your needs are different, so please don't judge every vehicle with your needs.
Why not? It is my money that is going to buy my next car. So, I will evaluate my next car based on my requirement and budget.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th June 2017 at 17:27.

Old 17th June 2017, 17:29   #512
BHPian

Indeed Ravi, you buy your next car with your own money, all I say is every car need not be gizmotronic. If Jeep doesn't suit you, don't buy it, but when I pay my money to buy a SUV I will want to buy a real one.
autocrat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 18:25   #513
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Without the Trailhawk variant, neither is the Jeep Compass. Probably it would still hold it's ground against the Duster AWD, Hexa and XUV AWD, and especially Tucson and Tiguan - but it is not hardcore SUV either.

Should be good enough for 99.99% of the target audience though!

Lets go with Wikipedia's definition of an SUV in this case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_...le?wprov=sfsi1
By this definition 4WD or AWD is a requisite.
Everything else is a sham.

Now that's an orthodox view.

Fact is that in India at least, the vast majority of utility vehicles are sold with just 2WD (based on my personal knowledge right from the 1970's) making them semi functional family 'Vans' or 'People movers' with high ground clearance, high riding stance, roomy and spacious interiors and lots of 'family friendly' features.

Because they 'look' just as purposeful as their 4WD/ AWD cousins, they end up getting referred to as SUV's.

In India, as oft repeated here, the market wants 'form' over 'function' to a large extent and even the criteria of 'functions' is dictated by the 'family friendly focus' and not 'adventure' per se.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th June 2017 at 18:33.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 18:43   #514
Senior - BHPian

What's the wading capacity of the Compass? No review is mentioning it , though they seem to be in and out of streams. My concern is due the fact that the famous seven slat grill is actually a dummy and hoping that the air intake manifold is not low down in the engine bay.
Has anyone checked this out?
Old 17th June 2017, 20:09   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
+ No difference in domestic and export models quality wise
If true then this is a big positive and worth extra premium IMO. Big thumps up to FCA for offering the international Compass here.
Old 17th June 2017, 20:21   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
If true then this is a big positive and worth extra premium IMO. Big thumps up to FCA for offering the international Compass here.

Not too sure about that statement. They might offer the same build quality, but they won't be able to sell the same Vehicle abroad especially Europe with all those missing features in the India spec.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 20:37   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
All vehicles sold today as "SUV" are not really capable SUVs, rather big cars with nice ground clearance and nice gizmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Without the Trailhawk variant, neither is the Jeep Compass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Fact is that in India at least, the vast majority of utility vehicles are sold with just 2WD (based on my personal knowledge right from the 1970's) making them semi functional family 'Vans' or 'People movers' with high ground clearance
And to finally end the topic of what is an SUV, here's what our own government think
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1497711887481.jpg  

Last edited by nitinralli : 17th June 2017 at 20:38.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 20:49   #518
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Wow, Jeep has managed one thing and that's build a lot of hype and curiosity at least amongst the auto enthusiasts and even the journalists!

I said this before and I say it again, Jeep should have sort of set expectations on the price front by at least declaring it a D segment SUV or a C+ segment SUV or whatever. I say this because some people think it should be priced alongside the Creta and others think it's got enough to take on even the Tiguan at some level. Eventually even if Jeep manages to price the Compass slightly lesser than the Tucson ( which I think is fair) you will have a lot of people complaining.

On the other hand, I also think Jeep should use this opportunity to place Compass in a very wide price band. Today cars like City start from 11 lakh OTR all the way up to 17L, so why cannot Jeep provide a decent base version at say 16-17 L and take the fully kitted version up to even 25L. That wouldn't be bad at all.

If any segment is short of choices today, it's the 17-25 L segment. There are just 3 cars--Elantra,Octavia and Corolla. If Compass can be an alternative to these it would be a fantastic offering. You have a lot of City / Vento customers wanting to upgrade in the next 1-2 years and ideally they would move to this segment, so I think this price bracket is waiting to explode and if the Compass is right there then it's job done!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 21:03   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Not too sure about that statement. They might offer the same build quality, but they won't be able to sell the same Vehicle abroad especially Europe with all those missing features in the India spec.
Offering same build quality is a step forward. For me build quality takes the front seat compared to features and gizmos.
C300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 21:11   #520
BHPian

Wading ability usually is enhanced by accessories like intake and exhaust snorkels with leak proof joints. 4WD has to come from factory unlike older Jeep where aftermarket conversation was possiblel

Last edited by autocrat : 17th June 2017 at 21:20.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 21:12   #521
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
What's the wading capacity of the Compass? No review is mentioning it , though they seem to be in and out of streams. My concern is due the fact that the famous seven slat grill is actually a dummy and hoping that the air intake manifold is not low down in the engine bay.
Has anyone checked this out?

Wading capacity. A good question.
In even our urban areas when it rains, there are some fantastic floods. Roads turn into streams.
So wading capacity is very important indeed.
Saying that, just as an anecdote, the old Maruti 800 with its high mounted distrbutor, was great at wading even through water which came upto the window sills. I speak from experience.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 21:50   #522
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: 53-page brochure of the Jeep Compass leaked!

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this brochure in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The official 53-page brochure of the Jeep Compass has been leaked ahead of the SUV's India launch, which is expected to be scheduled in August 2017. The complete brochure can be downloaded from this link.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-0.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-3.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep Compass Brochure.pdf (3.83 MB, 15932 views)
dZired is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 21:52   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Some exclusive spyshots sent by one of my birdies, including one exterior & one interior shot of the base (Sport) variant:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-3.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

The base (Sport) variant. No foglamps.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-5ww.jpg

Notice the all-black interiors in the Sport variant? Jeep calls this interior colour scheme "Black Monotone"
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2w.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th June 2017 at 22:16. Reason: re-edited and added watermarks to last 2 pics.
RavenAvi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 22:10   #524
BHPian

From all the reviews it is becoming clear that the Compass is size wise in the Creta category but is punching beyond its category as can be seen that it is being compared to the Tucson and Tiguan.

I have a feeling that Jeep is really going to surprise us with decent pricing and the Compass is destined to be a best seller.
Old 17th June 2017, 22:15   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wading capacity. A good question.
In even our urban areas when it rains, there are some fantastic floods. Roads turn into streams.
So wading capacity is very important indeed.
Saying that, just as an anecdote, the old Maruti 800 with its high mounted distrbutor, was great at wading even through water which came upto the window sills. I speak from experience.

This is exactly what I had in mind. I am not going into a stream of water in an isolated jungle. Bangalore roads can turn into exactly that in a few minutes of down pour. This is what I am exactly after? With the full 4*4 set up if I can't wade through a Bangalore underpass in monsoon it's going to be quite an embarrassment. Can Jeep kindly answer that question for me ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks