Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 09:01   #571
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
For me definitely ,the unavailability of the auto box that is a deterrent. Hope Jeep is reading this and will make the auto available at the earliest. At an expected 25- 30 lakhs OTR , not many consumers will want the manual in this price segment.
Had there been an AT option during launch, I would have definitely booked one. But now I am going to look at the other options with AT.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 09:11   #572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hey, does anyone know when they intend to offer the "trailhawk" version of the Compass? That would b the one to wait for.
No Trailhawk option anytime soon. FCA feels there won't be many takers for the spec's in India. Current focus would be to get the announced 3 variants and then get the engine gearbox combos. Upto 35 combination can be done, is what is being hinted.
Jaggu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 09:31   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Senapati Bapat road has one of the most expensive real estate space on lease. Recent casualties of automotive dealerships that moved away from this very rental space include:

- Mahalaxmi Auto - Maruti Suzuki
- Singh Auto - Chevrolet
- Planet Exclusiv - Volvo
- Planet Ford - Ford

Among others. But guess who decided to open the largest automotive dealership in this space? FCA
This showroom will have the Jeep compass on display from 20th June.
I live closeby so hope to get a chance to see the car on 20th.

Mahalaxmi auto has relocated to a nearby showroom (on SB road itself). Planet ford was still operational when I last checked. But yes, the rental is very high and hope the Jeep/Fiat showroom can sustain.
nikhil0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 09:58   #574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil0405 View Post
Mahalaxmi auto has relocated to a nearby showroom (on SB road itself). Planet ford was still operational when I last checked. But yes, the rental is very high and hope the Jeep/Fiat showroom can sustain.
OT:

Yes, they could get a showroom almost 4x the size once they were out of ICC. That's the point. Yes Planet Ford has shut shop almost a month ago.
Old 19th June 2017, 11:21   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

The Compass reaches a newly set up Jeep India outlet, Shree Bharat Motors, at Triumph, Bhubaneswar.

RavenAvi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 13:29   #576
BHPian

Last night I was drawn to think whats an upgrade and whats not, as we discussed about this earlier in the thread.

People say buying cars equipped with features like reverse parking sensor, camera, auto folding mirrors, keyless entry, cruise control (which, in my opinion, in a non-autobox car is absolute nonsense), rain sensing wipers, auto headlamps, is an upgrade and buying those with no / fewer features is a downgrade.

Is this all there is to an upgrade?

What about a better engineered stronger chassis, a more refined engine, great corrosion protection and paint job, quality of the plastics, better NVH and thermal insulation, fire resistant materials, better suspension setup, AC performance, Handling and Steering feel, visibility in the RVMs, quality of wipers - dont these things matter?

Doesn't a car with better of these qualities qualify as an upgrade? Apologies for digressing, but felt like sharing.

Last edited by autocrat : 19th June 2017 at 13:38.
autocrat is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 13:32   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hearing from my sources - FCA is preparing to roll out the India-spec Jeep Compass at a starting price of Rs 16 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi, for the base (Sport) variant.

So, to all those who were predicting this pricing point earlier in the thread, it's time to rejoice.

Very attractive price point if this is true! 16 ex showroom Delhi will turn out to be about 19L OTR in Bangalore, just a tad expensive considering that you can get a decently kitted Elantra or even an Octavia at this price point. Not comparing Creta here since it's not in the same league, at least in terms of positioning.

Also, what might work against the Compass is that at around 20L, options like XUV / Hexa / Elantra / Octavia offer much more features while the entry level variant of the Compass is quite basic. Need to wait and watch!
Old 19th June 2017, 14:00   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So after having followed this thread from the beginning , there has been a lot of excitement.

Now we know that the Compass had excellent fit and finish , Great ride and steering , good amounts of power/torque , good safety kit and a lot of missing features.

Haven't seen any book or buy decisions on our forum as yet ? Though I am not a great advocate of booking without seeing the vehicle , I do remember a lot of our forum members had booked the Creta before launch.

So is it because it's a Jeep/FCA , a lot of us are waiting and watching ?

For me definitely ,the unavailability of the auto box that is a deterrent. Hope Jeep is reading this and will make the auto available at the earliest. At an expected 25- 30 lakhs OTR , not many consumers will want the manual in this price segment.
Don't know if I am the first one but I have plonked the booking amount 2 weeks back.

I was very clear in my requirements to the sales rep that I "wished" for the TrailHawk but I "definitely" wanted a Diesel AT. As the specs weren't officially disclosed, he did take my booking.

If they say TrailHawk might come in 6 months, I will let them keep my booking amount and wait.
TheDesertRat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:10   #579
Senior - BHPian

Was fortunate to have a look at the Compass on Saturday. Here are some pics.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5433.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5438.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5442.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5443.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5444.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5460.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5462.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5459.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5465.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5510.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:44   #580

Jeep Compass is on display on the ground floor of Inorbit Mall in Hyderabad. Enthusiasts in Hyderabad can catch a glimpse of it
Obi-Wan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:22   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No Trailhawk option anytime soon. FCA feels there won't be many takers for the spec's in India. Current focus would be to get the announced 3 variants and then get the engine gearbox combos. Upto 35 combination can be done, is what is being hinted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
If they say TrailHawk might come in 6 months, I will let them keep my booking amount and wait.
99% no this question was asked specifically with FCA folks and they repeatedly confirmed that Trailhawk model is nowhere in the immediate plans. Having said that, if the price for 4 wheel drive version is around low to mid 20 lakhs (on the road), it would be a worthy booking to retain. The amount of fun you can have with this vehicle, and at such a price point is priceless.

Again am speaking about 4 wheel drive version. Really have to see how the 2 wheel drive rides and drives.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:29   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

... cruise control (which, in my opinion, in a non-autobox car is absolute nonsense),
Being a person who was a little upset that the Compass came without cruise control, and at the same time being a die hard fan of manual trannys, my curiosity is piqued when some members feel that the two features do not go with one another. Can you elaborate why please... Even if it is a personal opinion?
igp_79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:49   #583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
Being a person who was a little upset that the Compass came without cruise control, and at the same time being a die hard fan of manual trannys, my curiosity is piqued when some members feel that the two features do not go with one another. Can you elaborate why please... Even if it is a personal opinion?
Would have to disagree with that opinion in the qouted post. Funnily enough - I believe this 'absolute nonsense' was first done by FCA itself with the Linea - which had cruise control with a manual transmission.

The disadvantage? You need to ensure the right gear is selected for the cruising speed. Whereas when coupled with an automatic transmission, the car is free the select the ratio that feels ideal to it. Also, hitting the resume function in a manual transmission might evoke more extreme speed variations. If you're in fifth gear and in turbo lag zone, it will take time for the speeds to build up as the transmission cannot shift down on its own.

However, if you are in the right gear and right speeds - I don't see any reason why cruise control wouldn't be anything short of a bliss - specially on the modern expressways.

If cars like Linea, City, SCross etc can offer this feature with a manual transmission - I don't see why Jeep couldn't. It's cost cutting and a miss - and needs to be acknowledged as such.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th June 2017 at 15:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:56   #584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Would have to disagree with that opinion in the qouted post. Funnily enough - I believe this 'absolute nonsense' was first done by FCA itself with the Linea - which had cruise control with a manual transmission.

The disadvantage? You need to ensure the right gear is selected for the cruising speed. Whereas when coupled with an automatic transmission, the car is free the select the ratio that feels ideal to it. Also, hitting the resume function in a manual transmission might evoke more extreme speed variations. If you're in fifth gear and in turbo lag zone, it will take time for the speeds to build up as the transmission cannot shift down on its own.

However, if you are in the right gear and right speeds - I don't see any reason why cruise control wouldn't be anything short of a bliss - specially on the modern expressways.

If cars like Linea, City, SCross etc can offer this feature with a manual transmission - I don't see why Jeep couldn't. It's cost cutting and a miss - and needs to be acknowledged as such.
Plus one to that. I had a 1999 Honda Accord manual and a 2001 Toyota Camry manual in US and both had cruise control. There is absolutely no reason for Jeep to skip it in 2017, apart from cost-cutting!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 19th June 2017 at 15:57.
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:56   #585
BHPian

OT. I was intrigued by the Lizard design near the windshield - i saw this a few times in pictures of Compass. Was reading through a couple of links and found this:

https://www.cars.com/articles/easter...1420695270693/

It appears (don't stone if I am sharing anything that is already shared) Compass competes with the likes of Tuscon and Sportage in the US. This is coming from Compass Brand Manager. Also he indicates their pricing strategy for the Renegade, Compass and Cherokee - $2000 apace! Should give us an indication of pricing.

So the 16 lakhs starting price mentioned above sounds credible - undercutting Tuscon while pulling above the Creta wee bit.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed