Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 00:59   #661
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Thanks to Sairam Venkateshan for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures. The boot space appears to be pretty good. One more observation, the spare wheel is not an alloy. Appears to be a cost cutting trick by Jeep like Maruti.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:54   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Did you go to the Gurgaon showroom? Do they have a Compass on display?
Yes I did, and they do have the Compass on display. I liked it and it looks great to me. The test drives will only be available only after July 4th when they announce the prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1498094567767.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1498094579951.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1498094599523.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1498094619300.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1498094636723.jpg  

Behemoth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:36   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes I did, and they do have the Compass on display. I liked it and it looks great to me. The test drives will only be available only after July 4th when they announce the prices.
Could you please let us know about the quality of interior plastics, switchgear, etc? I am asking because I once had a 2015 Jeep Compass (previous gen) as a rental car, and the interior quality was comparable to the 1st gen Figo.

Since this is a totally new platform and the next generation of Compass, have things improved? Are the interiors, say, comparable to the Creta?
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:50   #664
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Met the Compass in flesh at KHT Prime Domlur yesterday.

Was the Limited without the 4*4.

Loved the butch looks.

The DRLs though not LED look classy.

The doors felt nice and heavy.

The tailgate is also very heavy and opens pretty high. It might be a challenge for someone short to reach it and bring it down.

Nice option to lock doors for the front passenger also.

The alloys really looked better than on the photos we have seen. The off center rear wheel is the only eyesore, but again 99% of customers will never notice .

Loved the loch ness and the lizard.

Interior fit and finish looks good.

The center console is an eyesore. The gloss black just isn't the Octavia league . Does look cheaply finished and the poor graphics of the U Connect doesn't help.

Probably the most unresponsive touch screen I have seen in a long time. I had literally started to poke rather than touch.

The slide adjustable armrest for the driver is sufficiently well padded , but the storage within is very small.

Due to the compact nature of the cabin you will be brushing hands with the driver/ front passenger more often than not if you use the armrest.

Decent amount of leg room all around.

The cabin is not broad. Feels very compact and actually feels very tight , especially if you have 4 seated. You will be brushing shoulders ( almost )
Strictly a 4 seater.

The seats are finished well and good amount of stiffness.

The driver seat has a manual height adjust.

The rear seat angle is a bit upright and you get a feeling of sitting on a bench. Would have liked it with a bit more recline.

The head room is adequate. Due to smaller rear windows and high bench, taller passengers will feel like the line of sight is just above the rear window glass area. Not a good feeling.

The the boot is not broad but you get good depth.
The loading lip is high. So be prepared to lug your heavy suitcases in.

The biggest disappointment for me was the tight cabin space and lack of adequate storage in the cabin. The door holders can hold only 500 ml bottles.
The armrest storage and the glove box are too small to hold any stuff.
Though of similar dimensions this is where the Tucson trumps the Compass. The Tucson just feels more premium and feels like it's just has a lot more space.

Lack of a diesel automatic in this segment is surely going to put off a lot of buyers.

Looking forward to the test drive. Even without driving it and unavailability of the automatic , the heart says Compass and the mind says Tucson. Will wait to see when the diesel auto variant will be available and maybe the heat and mind might just meet.

Jeep surely has a winner if priced well , it could give Hyundai a real headache and draw people from the Creta and the Tucson. It was really refreshing to see a well finished butch looking SUV after all the dainty soft roaders in the segment.
Strategy wise I think Jeep needs to look at providing automatic options at least from the Longitude version onwards. That will really hit a sweet spot. 99% of the consumers will never use the Compass for off-roading while I just think 90% will want an automatic in this segment. Has Jeep got their strategy wrong ? Only time will tell.

Last edited by navin : 22nd June 2017 at 11:49. Reason: typo
Arjun Reddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:11   #665
BHPian

Went to see the Jeep Compass at Landmark Gurgaon yesterday. Won't comment too much on the car per se, as many have already done. But overall, the looks and exterior of the car is impressive, however the interior is a bit of a let down with those sore dummy buttons on the steering and smallish touchscreen (the biggest 2 deal breakers for me). The space and storage is also limited. I don't see the car being at a too much premium to the Creta. It is clear Jeep wants to place it between Creta and Tucson. The biggest indicator being the sales targets. The SA informed me that they had a target of selling 200 units a month just for that dealership, which means 600 units for the NCR as they have 3 dealerships in NCR. That would translate to atleast 2000 units a month for Pan - India.

I don't see the launch price of Compass base version crossing a penny over INR 16 lacs, and most probably it will be around 15 lacs only.
reddevilgautam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:41   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Could you please let us know about the quality of interior plastics, switchgear, etc? I am asking because I once had a 2015 Jeep Compass (previous gen) as a rental car, and the interior quality was comparable to the 1st gen Figo.

Since this is a totally new platform and the next generation of Compass, have things improved? Are the interiors, say, comparable to the Creta?
The interior design is quite simple in form but rich in quality. It does look like Jeep have adopted a simple design to keep costs low. The touchscreen does look small and I would have preferred the 8.4 inch touchscreen if they had that option. Interiorwise overall there is decent space comparable to the Creta as it is nearly the same height and proportions.
The interiors look built to last, notwithstanding the light grey color leather seats. The red stitching on them gives them a sporty feel.
The backs of the seats are black so they will be saved from spoiling.
From the outside the car has a lot of character and looks imposing, especially in the silver colour which I saw. I have booked the Ltd 4x4 in silver and black dual tone and it would look Evoquish in that color. The Autocar magazine issue used that colour for their test drive (the Shapur Kotwal one, while Renuka used the Hydro Blue one)
I have a feeling that Jeep will price the Compass very aggressively and in the 16-20 exshowroom range. The showroom sales person also told me that they are targeting an exshowroom price of under 20 for the top model. If that is true it will be a blessing: I tend to take these views with a pinch of salt and we will finally know only on the 4th July as they will announce the price then after GST finalization.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd June 2017 at 09:43.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:10   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The off center rear wheel is the only eyesore, but again 99% of customers will never notice.
Looks like I belong to that 99% of customers group. Never noticed until I read your comment. Yes it looks bit odd!

I think Jeep will target a sub 15L price tag (ex-show room) for base petrol variant.

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd June 2017 at 10:27.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:45   #668
BHPian

Will it make sense to swap my 3 year old s cross 1.3 zeta against a compass.
I can extend my budget upto 18 lakhs for the car.
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:07   #669
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Will it make sense to swap my 3 year old s cross 1.3 zeta against a compass.

I can extend my budget upto 18 lakhs for the car.

Too early to swap a car. Wait another year and a half. Let Jeep iron out their ASS. It will probably have a lot more variants and discounts too. You also probably get the Renault Captur and a lot more other models to choose from.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 22nd June 2017 at 11:16.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:17   #670
Senior - BHPian

Heard that they're setting up MOPAR service centres for Servicing the Compass ! That's good news right ? If they sort out the service bit & ensure parts being readily available, this should do well.

I'd buy it very happily, once the product & service is sorted.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:26   #671
BANNED

Jeep Compass looks great. It will definitely impact the sales of compact SUV segment specially Creta, Tucson & Tiguan. The design looks simple and fresh specially the signature front look. There are lot of missing features but as mentioned this will be priced competitively hence can be ignored. If the top end is under 20L then it is definitely a hit. One of my close friend has put his booking of Tucson on hold and waiting for the launch of Compass.
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:02   #672
BHPian

Advert(s) of Jeep Compass on first three pages of Times of India, Jaipur Edition. No doubt, FCA is betting big on this product.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-22_06_2017_019_afef57189df034357563efcc749d339d.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-22_06_2017_020_50446e09275f2180a08748c642cf09bb.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-22_06_2017_001_899b0dc59274b6a2eea42ec37571d676.jpg
akhilesh51 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:46   #673
BHPian

Variant wise feature list as received by my local SA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf compass_variants.pdf (211.8 KB, 837 views)
harshunlimited is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:17   #674
BHPian

Attaching some Jeep Compass pics

Some of the most superb pics of the compass I've come across

source - http://www.throttle-blips.com/2017-j...-test-drive/5/
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2017_jeep_compass_20.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2017_jeep_compass_27.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2017_jeep_compass_28426x351.jpg  

yogeshnagpal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:27   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
The SA informed me that they had a target of selling 200 units a month just for that dealership, which means 600 units for the NCR as they have 3 dealerships in NCR. That would translate to atleast 2000 units a month for Pan - India.
I think this is what the need of the hour is rather than just speculating on the price. This was a good question to ask the dealer to get an indication of the launch price. And if FCA's monthly target for JCMP is upwards of 1500 units (from what it seems), Jeep Compass has to launch with a shocking sticker price.

In fact I am disappointed with how the Compass pricing discussion on TBHP has been trending of late. The overall sentiment seem to have settled at a median starting price of 16-18 lakhs. Given that FCA will most certainly consider incumbent sentiment on social media and expert forums (such as TBHP) as an input before doing their price iterations, we could have put a little more downward pressure on the price through raising polarising views, rather than just nodding our invisible heads (to the rest of us) at an agreeable speculated price point (which currently is 16-18 lakhs). I would even say, let us collectively bring it down by one segment in its positioning - bring it down to the level of an XUV than Tuscon. XUV offers everything that the Compass offers including a very capable 2l diesel engine. We should use the power that wrests in our hands!

Why not 12.5 lakhs starting price going up to 20 lakhs?

Last edited by aah78 : 28th June 2017 at 19:18. Reason: Please avoid using short forms. Thanks!
bhaskaracs is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed