Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:26   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

You completely have missed the basic reason why I feel Jeep should be priced not more than 10-15% premium over Creta.
Even with 65% localisation (which I was quiet sure was more in the 85% range) Jeep is saving huge costs just in terms of import duties. Not even bringing up the cost of manufacturing of India VS rest of the world.

Being an auto mobile component manufacturer and with an experience of more than 15 years in the same field I stated my reasons on why it should be priced in that range.
Again, let me re-iterate, my message was just my viewpoint on the overall comparison on Creta and not just on price.

With your experience, you are the best person to answer below questions.

1) Are all the components that are localized of same brand/quality/Price for Creta and Compass. If yes, then you have a valid point. But looking at the picture I feel they are not of same quality. Maybe Team-BHP review will give more clarity.
2) If No, then will you knowingly cut prices of your components just because your rival is selling similar but inferior quality components at a lesser price?
3) The price difference of a 2.0L engine over 1.4/1.6. 10% premium on Creta means roughly 1.2L. Does this cover in that?
4) How about all other features like what CrAzY dRiVeR mentioned. Does that all add up only up to 10% over and above the engine cost.

We are still speculating the price and its not final. But what is final is that FCA has pitted it Above Creta and Below Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
So, Ford Aspire, Tata Zest and VW Ameo would have succeeded, if they were priced higher? If not, then shouldn't they be priced less ( at least until they are not making a loss for the company) ?
They have priced it already above Alto/KWID right?

Now Whether they succeeded or not has nothing to do with pricing much above Alto/KWID but its direct competitor Dzire against which it is bench-marked. That's my only point.

Last edited by ampere : 24th June 2017 at 10:08. Reason: back to back posts merged
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:48   #737
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Motorbeam has come up with their short review. 5 good and 4 bad things about the Compass

Good -
1. Design
2. Interior Space and quality.
3. Performance
4. Road Dynamics
5. Off road abilities.

Bad -
1. Some missing equipment.
2. Touchscreen isn't fluid.
3. Tall vehicle in get in and out of.
4. Dealership network.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 19:34   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Again, let me re-iterate, my message was just my viewpoint on the overall comparison on Creta and not just on price.

With your experience, you are the best person to answer below questions.

1) Are all the components that are localized of same brand/quality/Price for Creta and Compass. If yes, then you have a valid point. But looking at the picture I feel they are not of same quality. Maybe Team-BHP review will give more clarity.
2) If No, then will you knowingly cut prices of your components just because your rival is selling similar but inferior quality components at a lesser price?
3) The price difference of a 2.0L engine over 1.4/1.6. 10% premium on Creta means roughly 1.2L. Does this cover in that?
4) How about all other features like what CrAzY dRiVeR mentioned. Does that all add up only up to 10% over and above the engine cost.

We are still speculating the price and its not final. But what is final is that FCA has pitted it Above Creta and Below Compass.

Now this isn't the right way to give a compare my friend. Question should've been - 1. are all the components that are localised are of the similar (almost) brand/quality/price? - if the specs are similar - the pricing should be similar too. BUT, we all are in agreement here that Creta is over priced. So even if Jeep has better quality (to some extent) the pricing shouldn't be too far off now - should it?
2. How much according to you should be the price difference with all the features and build quality etc.? 7-8 lacs?

IMHO - All the specs, build quality, brand value, features all put together should command a premium of roughly 3-4 odd lacs on the right price of Creta. (considering that the manufacturers don't buy the parts/components at the retail price. The price difference between the retail price VS acquisition price for the manufacturer at times is 10:1)
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:00   #739
BHPian

So now the question is how much Creta is overpriced, 20%, 30% or 15%? What ever is agreeable. And on that 3 lakhs will be OK. If the Creta 1.6 diesel base version is 12.5, considering it is 20% more it will be 10 lakhs. So starting price of JC should be 13-14 lakhs? IMHO it's about right.
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:59   #740
Senior - BHPian

So here's it, official from twitter.

1000 bookings done in 3 days.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5814.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_5815.jpg

Last edited by DRIV3R : 23rd June 2017 at 21:01.
DRIV3R is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:00   #741
BHPian

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Compass is going to be a runaway hit. But no, I dont have any technical arguments to support this claim.
It just that I have a friend who is not really into cars. But once in a while when he does take note of a new car, it sure does go on to set the charts on fire. The last three cars he happened to notice were the Swift way back in 2004 or so, then XUV in 2012, followed by Creta.
And guess what, last I spoke to him, he was asking me if I had checked out the Compass.
So who knows, may be Jeep indeed will manage to hit the sweet spot.
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:05   #742
BHPian

Visited Urs Kar Mysuru to check out the Compass.
Quick observations:
- Superb build quality. True European DNA all around.
- Clean and ageless design. Looks stunning in Silver.
- Compass is notch above Creta. Its a no match actually.
- Base variant to get all the safety feature.
- Its a 4 seater. Back seat space limited to 2 adults. My duster felt spacious compared to Compass.
-Expected Price 18-22L. Top end 4x4 to touch 25+ on road. Thats 8-9L premium over Duser AWD.

Came out really impressed.
Soon I was transported back to '90s once inside my Duster
C300 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:48   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
So here's it, official from twitter.

1000 bookings done in 3 days.
WoW
1000 Bookings within 3 days that too when they have such limited reach (Dealership count less than 10 AFAIK).
That's Commendable response from the customers.
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:12   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
WoW

1000 Bookings within 3 days that too when they have such limited reach (Dealership count less than 10 AFAIK).

That's Commendable response from the customers.

That's a decent start for the Compass. Let's wait for a month and check the bookings. I remember Innova Crystal got 20,000 in the first month, the Hexa 1500. So the first month after prices are announced is going to be critical. It will make or mar the Compass. Fingers crossed. I really want Jeep to survive the Indian Tsunami.
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:16   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Hearing from my reliable sources that the spare parts for the Compass will be very reasonably priced, hence maintenance costs might be on the lower side, especially compared to the immediate competition.

This will be one huge point in the Compass's favour.

Hopefully they combine this with a maintenance schedule of every 12 months, after the first year of ownership. Quite the icing on the cake.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:24   #746
BHPian

The car apart, they have really pulled a brilliant marketing campaign. You should give that one to their American CEO. If he has done this right, I am sure he will do most of it right. I have a feeling that this time after a long time FCA has really made a do or die effort, and couldn't have happened without the help of the Americans. Cos Fiat alone has failed every time before, sooner or later, for either this or that.
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:36   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
The car apart, they have really pulled a brilliant marketing campaign. You should give that one to their American CEO. If he has done this right, I am sure he will do most of it right. I have a feeling that this time after a long time FCA has really made a do or die effort, and couldn't have happened without the help of the Americans. Cos Fiat alone has failed every time before, sooner or later, for either this or that.
Kevin Flynn is the MD for FCA since the Abarth Punto days. There is nothing American about Compass's 1000 bookings, and from what little I know, Kevin is from the UK. It is the same FCA team that is running this show with additional resources.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 00:07   #748
Senior - BHPian

The last few posts have almost been a treatice on how to do pricing. No, my post does not deal directly with the discussion on what should be Compass's price. It just touches on that with a lot more focus on what has already happened. The masterstroke, that Hyundai has managed to pull off. A disruptive pricing probably in the reverse sense of it.

When Creta was launched, we all were very sure that it was overpriced. Now when we are discussing Compass we are talking about how much more it should be priced over the Creta because of the bigger engine, better engineering etc etc.

Yes my dear friends, Creta's overpriced sticker value is the new normal now. Companies like FCA are in a catch 22 situation. They cannot afford to price Compass too close to Creta due to the fear of diluting the brand, at the same time do not have Hyundai's might in India to pull off a pricing stunt like them.

Hyundai has just managed to get the new Normal a couple of lakhs higher.

'Your Move' to FCA.

Either Price the car incrementally over Creta or pull a real disruptive pricing as if to tell the nation, 'this is what you ought to pay for a well engineered C-SUV, not what you pay for an over priced pretender!'

What they will actually do, time will tell.

I will just watch. Mostly my next car would be the Hexa.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 08:43   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Well realistically my guess is the prices will start at 16L for the base Sport model and then 17.5 for Longitude, 18 for Longitude O model and then 19 for Limited 4x2, 20. 5 L for Limited 4x4 and 21L for Limited 4x4 (O) ex showroom.
The Petrol 1.4 would probably come in only the Limited with Automatic and should also be 20 L.
That is my estimate on the Jeep prices after having seen it and also having booked it.
1000 # is a good number for the bookings in 3 days.
Assuming these are the prices, how many of us are booking the Compass - please share on this thread if you are booking or already booked.
We are all eagerly waiting for the TBHP review which we hope will come out soon!
For people who have not seen it yet, please do see it first before pricing it, as you will only get an idea of the car only after seeing it!

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th June 2017 at 09:02.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 09:15   #750
BHPian

Cruise control is a big miss. Can't think of putting down 20L without that feature.
I use CC generously on good highways. Reduces the stress by a long shot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks