Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 10:31   #751
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Petrol 1.4 would probably come in only the Limited with Automatic and should also be 20 L.
As per the leaked brochure, petrol option is there in both Sport and Limited trims.

But launch might happen later, probably due to the fact that Multiair won't exactly be a cheap offering compared to the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That is my estimate on the Jeep prices after having seen it and also having booked it.
1000 # is a good number for the bookings in 3 days.
Assuming these are the prices, how many of us are booking the Compass - please share on this thread if you are booking or already booked.
Congrats. Bookings can be announced using the below thread-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post4221671

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
1000 bookings done in 3 days.
Goes to show that the product is good for the price the dealerships are quoting and is getting accepted. Thats 3 times the number of cars FCA used to sell till last month! Not bad at all, considering all the negativity and the limited dealership network.

Now they need the prices right to keep the momentum. Right as in -undercut the rates qouted by the dealerships to surprise the customers.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th June 2017 at 10:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 10:50   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard that the marketing guys do keep a close watch on popular automobile sites and forums between the unveil of a car and the actual price announcement to get a sense of what the public sentiment on the expected price is.

If the FCA folks are following this thread, they must be an utterly confused lot. One day they get a sense that they can price in Tiguan territory, then the next day it changes to Tuscon, and then anywhere from just above the Creta to even undercutting the Creta.

Of course, online sentiment does not decide the final price, but I assume there is some role it plays.

Never seen such wide price ranges being talked about.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 11:33   #753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Never seen such wide price ranges being talked about.
True, and quite a lot of the comparison is based on the size of the Compass - especially those with the Creta - engine specs, build, 4x4 option - all of those doesn't matter. I won't be surprised if someone even compare this with a Mahindra Bolero and expect the starting price of around 8 lakhs!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 12:24   #754
Senior - BHPian

Had a first hand feel of the Compass at the showroom today. There was a silver 2.0 Multijet diesel variant on display.

Build is extremely robust sturdy and well finished with ample space and firm supportive leather seats. The bonnet and the rear door is very heavy and felt like a vault.

The OTR price in Bangalore is expected to be around 26L. Standard warranty is 3Yrs/1Lakh kms and optional extended warranty is on offer.

Service interval is every 15K KM or 1 year. The existing service centers would be eventually closed/integrated with Mopar service centers all over the country. It looks like they are giving a serious focus on the service aspect.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th June 2017 at 12:32.
for_cars1 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 13:22   #755
Senior - BHPian

Received a call from Jeep India and the guy on the line said it would be between 18L - 22L but did not comment if its Ex-Showroom or OTR Pune. TD would be available from mid July and as of now I can only have a look.
Old 24th June 2017, 13:42   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Had a first hand feel of the Compass at the showroom today. There was a silver 2.0 Multijet diesel variant on display.

Build is extremely robust sturdy and well finished with ample space and firm supportive leather seats. The bonnet and the rear door is very heavy and felt like a vault.

The OTR price in Bangalore is expected to be around 26L. Standard warranty is 3Yrs/1Lakh kms and optional extended warranty is on offer.

Service interval is every 15K KM or 1 year. The existing service centers would be eventually closed/integrated with Mopar service centers all over the country. It looks like they are giving a serious focus on the service aspect.
I just had my first hand experience with Mopar service center at Coimbatore for my Linea TJet and I wouldn't call it any better than my past Fiat service experience. While things have become more fancy with the service personnel wearing Mopar T-shirts, there hasn't been any improvement in the service aspect yet.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 24th June 2017 at 13:44.
ece2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 14:23   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

I was invited to attend the official launch of the Compass at the newly set up Jeep India dealership in my state - LR Auto, Raipur.

Plenty of local dignitaries and my friends/contacts were present. I checked out the Compass in keen detail and came away very, very impressed by the quality they have poured into the SUV. Outer panels, door sections, bonnet/boot lids, interiors & soft plastics all around, feel, fit and finish - everything is absolutely top-notch.

Something which might offend the naysayers in our thread but honestly, the Compass feels very worthy of a Rs 20-lakh price tag. I know it might not garner too many sales in our "kitna deti hai" + "better 7 seater options at this price" country, but this is one car which is worth the premium it might command, come July 4th.

If the Rs 16 lakh starting price scoop by my birdies turns out to be true, I'd say the Compass would be a steal at that pricing.

The wait for our detailed review starts now. Once Jaggu & his team give it the green signal, the Compass is coming into my garage.

Some pics:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19225622_1440957112655029_5876630050919470599_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19275136_1440957062655034_6736071682134940334_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19366375_1440956952655045_3142975094941431502_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19396610_1440957195988354_5222625010556809827_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19420499_1440956545988419_5102818632505557415_n.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th June 2017 at 14:24.
RavenAvi is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 15:20   #758
BHPian

The 1.4 Turbocharged petrol is coming in much later. For petrol-heads, they will have to wait longer for the petrol launch or go with the s-cross facelift that is coming with a similar 1.4 turbocharged petrol

Fiat finally seems to be getting things going in the India market with pricing.
http://www.drivespark.com/four-wheel...kh-022708.html

With the price war triggered by Jeep, if Compass is successful, the halo effect of the same is likely to translate into higher sales for the other cars in the Fiat bandwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The wait for our detailed review starts now. Once Jaggu & his team give it the green signal, the Compass is coming into my garage.
Old 24th June 2017, 16:35   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Received a call from Jeep India and the guy on the line said it would be between 18L - 22L but did not comment if its Ex-Showroom or OTR Pune. TD would be available from mid July and as of now I can only have a look.
Someone told me it will start at 15.6 ex showroom. Sounds like a nice price. I would like to wait and see what kind of hit the Jeep takes in the used car market in a few years!
While I understand the difference between the two brands, suddenly the Hexa diesel AT seems to be a massive VFM option. Considering my affinity for market duds, I have to wait and watch.
Best wishes to Jeep for their launch. I hope it does well enough for them to consider bringing the Renegade soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Best wishes! Please buy the blue one.
How many pages more do we have to read this time?!

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th June 2017 at 16:56.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 17:56   #760
BHPian

The Jeep compass is displayed today at Season mall Pune.
Old 24th June 2017, 18:43   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Fiat finally seems to be getting things going in the India market with pricing.
http://www.drivespark.com/four-wheel...kh-022708.html

With the price war triggered by Jeep, if Compass is successful, the halo effect of the same is likely to translate into higher sales for the other cars in the Fiat bandwagon
Though my opinion of the F brand is best not published here and Jeep's reliability record is far from stellar, I would be glad if they actually did trigger a price war.

Car prices in India have gone beyond reasonable levels, with each new model claiming non-existent premiums - the prime example for this being the Hyundai Creta at nearly 20 lakhs and the Innova at 30. A vehicle I bought in 2012 for 18 lakhs is now in the 28-30 lakh territory for a similar top-spec version.

It is more than high time for a major price correction in this market, and if this is the vehicle to kick start that so be it. Somebody needs to bring in a healthy dose of reality to the chaps who think up these prices, though it would be hilarious if it happened to be the same bunch who released a rag-top bare-bones Jeep for nearly a crore.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 18:57   #762
Team-BHP Support

Had to wait for 3-4 families to finish their inspection before I got my chance. Never seen more than a family (which in itself is rare!) in an FCA showroom ever!

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170624_185515.jpg

In the end, wife said - "Can we sell the Punto and Versys and get this now, please?"

The only other car she thought was good was Hexa, and excellent was Jetta, Audi and above, but she is firm that she wants the Compass next, and I see no reason to turn it down. If not for the Versys loan, the booking should have been done today, but alas - need to wait for another year or half more.

Request all those who are commenting on the prices to check it out in person before commenting.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th June 2017 at 19:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 20:03   #763

Saw the car in person today at the dealer showroom in chennai. The build and road presence is excellent. Interiors are good. Leather seats and steering are well done. It's a sturdy cracker of a deal at around 20L in my opinion. As we hit towards 25L, I am not so sure anymore. Maybe if you really need an SUV because of type of driving you do then yes.

I did not like the shoulder room at the back. It's a 4 seater. Maybe a child can fit in the middle seat but this is something that left me and my wife unconvinced about the compass. Even with just the two of us sitting at the back it felt a little constrained (we are used to the City). That and the ingress egress considering my mom is quite old. We eventually decided to cancel our booking. Maybe we will go for Octavia instead. Also the automatic petrol option which I was interested in will come in only by October...too much waiting anyway. My first car was Fiat Palio. I thought I was back to being their customer and to be honest it was close.

Will the car do well? I think so. It's a well executed compact SUV. It will have many takers specially at around 20L price point.
hasanahmed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 20:30   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Jeep's reliability record is far from stellar
The good news is the Compass is no Jeep. The platform is borrowed from Fiat 500 and the engines are Fiat too. So no worries.
Old 24th June 2017, 21:05   #765
BHPian

The car feels solid and premium , looks good too . I am sure the ride shall be comfortable too . The interiors are nothing less either , feels built to last . I maybe nitpicking but I found the clutch action and travel a little uncomfortable .

Undoubtedly a diesel / petrol automatic variant would be sorely missed.

My understanding is that whatever price the base petrol starts at (which nobody would be buying ), the top end diesel shall be 7-8 lakhs costlier thus taking it to mid 20s ex showroom and that ain't cheap (remember Q5 sport variant at 25) The Ford Endeavour Titanium 2.2 ain't too far away either and ticks as many boxes .

The Fiat showroom guys were too keen to register my interest even though I wanted to avoid it . They even asked me to put a wrong number against my name so to to ensure that I am not disturbed . Nevertheless t was pleasant to see some life in Fiat+Jeep Showroom .

It feels so nice whenever I come across a (now-rare ) strong and sturdy offering from any car manufacturer as most of the mass market manufacturers are thrusting "disposable products" to the gullible Indian buyer (made to last only a couple of years ) .
.Albatross. is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed