Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 11:44   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Pics credit TAI member aks_hyd.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_0486.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_0488.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 12:49   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Fie. Fie. Pure heresy. How dare you!! . Didn't you know that many of the forum members wouldn't buy the compass if it was priced anywhere close to creta? Lesser mortals would have had to face the full spanish inquisition just to have mentioned creta and compass in the same line!
Sigh!

Creta is 12.5L starting for base 1.6 diesel, and Tucson is 21.5L starting for the diesel. There is a 9L gap between the two, which is what people have been pointing at. And 9L is big money in a 10-20L segment!

Below Tucson doesn't necessarily mean against Creta. And above Creta, shouldn't necessarily mean against Tucson. What you're missing in those posts while going in circles is that there is scope for a segment right in between these two.

Don't know why we need to take all posts as if it's a digital 0 (Creta) or 1 (Tucson).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th June 2017 at 13:04.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 12:59   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Refer feature list of Limited variant, are they saying side and curtain airbags will be available in 4X4 trims only and not with FWD.
Old 26th June 2017, 16:23   #799
BANNED

Who did the proof reading ?
Was it done by someone in the paint booth as it was pain to get the roof done in black?
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_1126.jpg  

The Rationalist is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 22:16   #800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Just one question, do you think it is going to kill ecosport if priced 'right'?

What will that right price be? I mean I don't see it making a dent on Ecosport if priced in the current rumoured 15-20 lakh range. Do you feel it may undercut this?
Two wheel drive base variant, why can't be at 10-12 Lakhs Ex showroom, of course it would be more expensive than eco or Creta but I think that would be really undercutting it. Atleast introductory pricing I see the potential with made in india and GST combo.

Quote:
Fie. Fie. Pure heresy. How dare you!! . Didn't you know that many of the forum members wouldn't buy the compass if it was priced anywhere close to creta?
Honestly I can't imagine Compass in a different segment, for me segment is defined by size of the vehicle and not by just price tag. Yes its much better to drive and feel better / built to last. But that doesn't mean I would go compare with a segment higher with more feature and luxury. That is the unique (read stupid) Indian mentality fed by PR and marketing guys.

It will soon correct, with all the prices going way north without any rhyme or reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Refer feature list of Limited variant, are they saying side and curtain airbags will be available in 4X4 trims only and not with FWD.
This I suspect they might have a very wide range and make the fully loaded top end spec "niche and pricey". Not a good idea if they want to rake in number, in my opinion.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 00:01   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Two wheel drive base variant, why can't be at 10-12 Lakhs Ex showroom, of course it would be more expensive than eco or Creta but I think that would be really undercutting it. Atleast introductory pricing I see the potential with made in india and GST combo.

Well, like they say in Hindi, tumhaare moonh mein ghee shakkar (may you mouth be filled with butter and jaggery). I would be pleasantly surprised if they price it that low. But if that happens, we may be in for many more surprises.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 08:27   #802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Honestly I can't imagine Compass in a different segment, for me segment is defined by size of the vehicle and not by just price tag. Yes its much better to drive and feel better / built to last. But that doesn't mean I would go compare with a segment higher with more feature and luxury. That is the unique (read stupid) Indian mentality fed by PR and marketing guys.

Well the reality is size / price / segment are all in fact a bit complex to understand and beyond a point difficult to comprehend and if one were to question, difficult to justify.

We have the Creta top end A/T retailing at about 18 lakh and the VW Tiguan retailing at about 38.5 lakh. Both are considered a tad overpriced. Even after adjusting a bit for the fractional size difference perhaps, features, build quality and finish is a >2x price difference justified between the two? The Yeti top end itself last retailed at an incomprehensible 29 lakh - a direct compare to that alone makes the Jeep seem VFM if they indeed launch it at the stated ~25 lakh on road for the top end variant.

So is a Jeep overpriced to Creta or VFM at its current price is in itself highly debatable depending on how you look at it.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:09   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Who did the proof reading ?
Was it done by someone in the paint booth as it was pain to get the roof done in black?
Good catch!
Even after so much Pain, the adjacent picture roof is still white

The 2.0L Eco Diesel engine need not be repeated for Longitude and Limited variants. Variant walk through creates confusion on additional airbags of 2WD Limited variant. These are small little thing which can spoil image of a legendary brand.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:17   #804
BHPian

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. It is just plain sad as to how people let themselves be governed by sheer marketing and hype. We used to say Duster is priced higher for what it offers. Then comes creta with earth shattering price and we go like if Duster is priced at x why cannot creta be at x+? We completely forget that Duster was overpriced in the first place. We let a car maker create a segment, where non should have been. How many times have we seen this happen already? This mentality of buyers has encouraged car makers to indulge in a price race and the finish line is not even in the horizon. You seem optimistic that Jeep will somehow challenge this trend. But I, seeing all hype created by Jeep and the way they are waiting and watching, am convinced that they will attempt to create a new segment. And many of us will be very happy with that because it will give us another opportunity to showcase our class.
ashlil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 10:26   #805
Team-BHP Support

Finally I think it would be a question of demand and supply. Creta might have created a different segment at a higher price point no doubt. Why do you think it thrives? Simply because there is none to counter it. If there was someone more competitive and which was offered at a better price, Creta price will correct itself. Today there is none and hence it goes unchecked and enjoys the advantage. Same is the reason why a Honda City AT in Bangalore costs near 17L OTR (I think if I am not wrong) !!

Now Compass should take advantage of the volume for such markets (if they want to). But whether they opt for it or not is a question, we need to wait and see it for ourselves.
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 11:07   #806
BANNED

While the entire debate is around the launch price, can someone confirm if the prices are going to be unveiled on the 4th of July.

From an official perspective (Jeep website and other leading Auto portals), I do not see the mention anywhere that they shall be out on the 4th.

Edit: Called up the Jeep Toll Free # - They are stating, July End, so it seems the wait is gonna be longer.

Last edited by Torquedo : 27th June 2017 at 11:11. Reason: Added the Toll Free Call Part.
Old 27th June 2017, 11:44   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This mentality of buyers has encouraged car makers to indulge in a price race and the finish line is not even in the horizon. You seem optimistic that Jeep will somehow challenge this trend.
I don't agree, and one should not draw conclusions based on posts in threads here, but on the basis of the sales numbers of cars in what is a free and fair market of sellers and quite savvy Indian car buyers whose native intelligence I do not underestimate.

No seller, in a market of many suppliers and informed customers that have choices, can indulge in a price race unless allowed to do so by buyers parting with hard earned money. Unless all auto makers have formed an informal cartel which I do not believe to be the case.

Jeep will simply implement a pricing policy/strategy in line with and to meet their overall business goals and objectives. If that policy is successful, they will stick with it. If not, they will course correct. And since none here are truly privy to what that business strategy is, everything about the price here is just speculation by the ill and under informed. Harmless, entertaining, but also useless.
Sawyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 12:16   #808
BHPian

I am in market for a car in 15-18L OTR range in Delhi. In Brazil, Compass is around 1.5 times ford ecosport. Dont know Tax structures of brazil. but I expect the base variant of Compass to be between 1.6-1.7 times Trend + varaint of Ecosport. In Uk Renegade is 1.4 times Ecosport and Compass is 1.17 times Renegade in USA, which makes Compass should be 1.64 times Ecosport.
If the pricing is on mark, they can hit Scoprio, XUV and Creta out of the park.
vivek_gaur69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 12:16   #809
BANNED

A bit off topic : Ford could have put up a good fight had they brought in Kuga. Ford could have retained a sizeable chunk of Ecosport customers looking for an upgrade. Right now those customers who bought in ₹ 8-12 lakh segment has nothing to upgrade in the ₹ 14- 20 segment, they have to go higher and not many would be able to dole out double the amount for a new car. I'm intrigued why Ford chose not to bring the Kuga here.

Right now it looks like Compass is gonna runaway with the segment till Maruti brings something like a Brezza against Ecosport. Even someone like me who is very conservative when changing cars is having second thoughts with regard to Compass. I would have jumped in if I haven't read this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html ( Warning : Reading this thread has inherent risks involved! Read at your own risk that you may end up not buying a new car for a long time.)
Old 27th June 2017, 12:24   #810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
A bit off topic : Ford could have put up a good fight had they brought in Kuga. Ford could have retained a sizeable chunk of Ecosport customers looking for an upgrade. Right now those customers who bought in ₹ 8-12 lakh segment has nothing to upgrade in the ₹ 14- 20 segment, they have to go higher and not many would be able to dole out double the amount for a new car. I'm intrigued why Ford chose not to bring the Kuga here.
Ford concentrate manufacture of models in different countries.

Figo - India
Ecosport - India , Brazil
Kuga - Europe
Edge - US
Mondeo/Fusion - US
Fiesta - Spain/ Mexico
Transit Vans - Turkey

The only way we will get the Kuga are only if import duties come down. I think Ford India are done with local assembly, Endeavour excepted, it is either total manufacture or import. The volumes do not justify anything else at the moment.

I could and hope to be wrong
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks