Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 14:53   #1306
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

I just saw the car and drove it yesterday in Delhi. I must say, as far as the drive goes, its definitely a winner for Jeep.

I was thinking of booking the top-end Petrol AT hoping that I would get all the bells & whistles, along-with good, aggressive pricing.

Today, I'll admit that the prices are really competitive and I don't mind paying for the Petrol AT, however, after reading the comments from other BHP'ians here on this forum, I am having second thoughts.

Firstly, there is no 4x4 in the Petrol. I don't know why they did not include this.

Secondly, there is no panoramic sunroof (there is one in the export version of the Compass). Why not for us locals ? Some of us are wiling to pay for this premium(ness).

Thirdly, no electric driving seat for driver. How could they (JEEP) miss out on this in a car of this level.

Lastly, no cruise control. The empty buttons on the right had side of the steering wheel look ugly. While I may be nitpicking here a bit, but since this car is around 20L, I think the customer expects these premium bits.

When I spoke to the Customer Service Advisor today, he told me that these are all left out by Jeep in order to meet the pricing at launch.

So does this mean that the people who want these features should wait or write a letter to Jeep to get the car they want?

I'm sorry, but maybe I don't understand this concept.

In the end, I will say that the Jeep Compass is am amazing car to drive, with very aggressive pricing, but adding these features as standard or optional on select variants will improve the premium appeal of an already premium car.
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:53   #1307
BHPian

Brilliant pricing, and I was always apprehensive they would blow it even this time! So happy, and I am booking it.

Dampener: FIATs with low sales always seemed "exclusive" on road. Now, with the national SUV craze, and fantastic JEEP prices, it will lose some of that "exclusivity". Just kidding.

Great for FCA of course. I hope they have month long backlogs. FCA deserves better!

What is the official ground clearance, if someone may please help me out?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 31st July 2017 at 14:57.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:56   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Brilliant pricing, and I was always apprehensive they would blow it even this time! So happy, and I am booking it.

Dampener: FIATs with low sales always seemed "exclusive" on road. Now, with the national SUV craze, and fantastic JEEP prices, it will lose some of that "exclusivity". Just kidding.

Great for FCA of course. I hope they have month long backlogs. FCA deserves better!

I spoke to the Customer Service Advisor at Jeep Delhi, and he told me the Ground Clearance is 178 mm. Please note as per new laws, this GC is fully laden.
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:58   #1309
BHPian

Sweet price point, I think from Sport to Limited they have given options to customers who were looking at Hexa, XUV, Creta, etc an option. FCA has a potential to dent multiple segments SUV's, D Segment. Kudos on good price points. I am eagerly waiting for the review of the Petrol AT, if the fellow BHPians find it worthy, Compass makes way for my Laura.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:01   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Probably the manufacturers don't believe that a demand exists for these top end petrol automatics.

The trend is the same across manufacturers.
Launching the petrols is redundant anyways - be it the top trim or entry level variant . It's not going to cross single digits.

The difference between the petrols and diesels is only 50000 due to both engines being Turbos. The diesel is much more powerful and better to drive and will give better mileage. It's a stinker at 170hp.

Instead, they could have have put their efforts on launching the diesel AT which most buyers on team bhp at least want these days. Don't understand the sudden hate for manuals.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:02   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
it will lose some of that "exclusivity".

Great for FCA of course. FCA deserves better!

Congratulations @ lapis_lazuli - what variant and color?
Yes it will be nice to see FCA lose exclusivity and if FCA will be able to meet demand with the current 50K production capacity
The laden ground clearance should be around 178mm

BTW - The first Gen Linea MJD came with a Un laden GC of 161 mm and the wheelbase of 2603 mm also is not very short!! And it does well even today - Obviously not off road.

Last edited by PM - B : 31st July 2017 at 15:08.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:04   #1312
Senior - BHPian

I am not in the market for a new car. I am not going to be replacing my Fiesta with a large SUV - heck I don't even have such a big parking space, or even the money to buy one.

But today, I feel immensely happy as an automobile enthusiast... Looking at the way the Jeep Compass has been priced, I feel elated and content that we finally can lay our hands on a world-class product at made-in-India costs

Thank you FCA
aravind.anand is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:05   #1313
BHPian

A quick comparison on road cost for Mumbai-- Courtesy Carwale. The Limited AT undercuts the Octavia and the Tucson by 2 lacs approx.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep.jpg  

Old 31st July 2017, 15:06   #1314
Senior - BHPian

So the 'Limited' Petrol Automatic gets an AWD? The only variant to get the AWD & AT combination?
Old 31st July 2017, 15:07   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Congratulations @ lapis_lazuli - what variant and color?
Yes it will be nice to see FCA lose exclusivity and if FCA will be able to meet demand with the current 50K production capacity
The laden ground clearance should be around 178mm
Any color as long as it is Blue, or close.... . I drive an Oceanic Blue Punto now. Variant, umm...undecided. Need to analyze today evening. Oh yes, I would be happy to see FCA earn tons of money selling solid cars!

Thanks for the GC info.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:08   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

Super pricing. Now they just need to meet the deliveries (not do what Ford did) and improve the service networks. Loved the way they decided to spread the pricing across CSUV's and the SUV's. Bring in more competition so that everyone can be happy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Instead, they could have have put their efforts on launching the diesel AT which most buyers on team bhp at least want these days. Don't understand the sudden hate for manuals.
True. Wish they had launched the Diesel AT now. There are 2 guys in my family ready to buy the Diesel AT (If the price would have been a bit lower, there would have been a 3rd too ).
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:10   #1317
BHPian

Reading thru close to 90 pages of this thread, i feel the pricing of compass by FCA is spot on.

How ever skeptics are already out with their guns: why 6 airbags only in top end diesel, why no AT in diesel yet, touch screen is small, FCA service etc etc.

All said and done FCA did a very good job with pricing of compass and hope the bookings will dramatically increase form current 5000 to whatever and the customer will have a very good sales and service experience.

Since compass is way over my budget, Now i am looking forward to waiting another year for the same mania to start about renegade.

With compass pricing, FCA has set cat among pigeons. If the same strategy is used for renegade pricing when its launched, i can only imagine what would happen to competition then.
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:17   #1318
Senior - BHPian

While I'm confident of the product and would happily join you all in this celebration but the after sales is what gets me worried. However, I'd be watching out for FCA after sales report from owners and see if I should be considering buying the top end 4x4 over the next 1-2 years.

I recently bought a used Fortuner 4x4 two weeks back and for a moment thought that I could've put another 6-7 lakhs and gotten myself this premium 4x4 but just can't trust FCA with 24 lakhs yet , maybe after 1-2 years after fellow bhpians share their experience.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:22   #1319
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Commendable job by Jeep on the pricing front. I was expecting the prices to start from Rs. 13.99L for the base petrol and top out at Rs. 20.99L for the top-end diesel. The prices are pretty much in line with what I was expecting. I wish Jeep the best of luck for their future and hope that they deliver on the service front. On the other hand I hope to see more and more people opt for this car so that the other manufacturers start treating us with better products at better prices.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 15:25   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
While I'm confident of the product and would happily join you all in this celebration but the after sales is what gets me worried. .
True the pricing is good and there will be a rush in the bookings for sure but the ability of their ASS to deliver will be the deciding factor. I know quite a few people who have put down the booking amounts in my city but if you visit the showroom and the service bay facilities in my city you'll definitely think twice. Atleast thats what I did.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed