Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 06:26   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Brilliant pricing! Thank You Jeep!

You know the pricing is disruptive when colleagues at office walk up to you in total wonderment and disbelief. Maybe its because Jeep comes across as a very expensive brand with the Wrangler at 50+ and Grand Cherokee at 75+.

And its quite amusing when you think that Compass looks most alike their most expensive model - the SRT.

Off the variants, my pick is the Longitude with Option Pack. For about 1.8 lakhs more, we get the following additions over Sport.

1) 17" alloy wheels compared to 16" steel wheels
2) Projectors + halogen
3) 7" touchscreen + 6 speakers
4) Key-less entry and go
5) Dual zone ACC
6) Reverse sensor
7) Roof rails
8) Parcel tray
9) Front and rear fog lamps
10) Power folding ORVM
11) Activated carbon filter

Wish additional airbags were part of the option pack too.

All the best Jeep!
deetjohn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 07:38   #1397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
The Jeep dealership in Kochi doesn't seem to be stocking or selling the Compass. A call today and Dad was directed to the Thrissur Dealership!

Wonder why Jeep would do that! Kochi seems to be a more logical choice especially when they have a showroom there!
The Thrissur dealership had all the variants on display. The test drive car is the Limited diesel variant.
Old 1st August 2017, 07:46   #1398
BHPian

Excellent pricing. I just hope that FCA now prioritises their Marketing and distribution to do justice to this fantastic product. This should either be one of their cash cows or the star performer (for those familiar with the BCG matrix ). FCA has a brilliant opportunity to gain the lost ground. I wish them all the best!
PS: Looking forward to the T-BHP official review of Compass.
Old 1st August 2017, 08:21   #1399
BHPian

This is going to sell like hotcakes. Well done on the pricing; else, Fiat would've definitely gone the GM way in India. They will rake in most of what was missed.

XUV, Hyundai Creta will be in the panic room now. I do not think it would be a competition for MUX.

What we also need to consider is its service satisfaction?

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2017 at 08:35. Reason: Typos
Boomerang is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st August 2017, 08:27   #1400
Team-BHP Support

They now have to beef up the service network in a big way. I hope they put their plan to motion much earlier.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 08:33   #1401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
XUV, Hyundai Creta will be in the panic room now. I do not think it would be a completion for MUX.
Certainly not IMO! Even if Compass becomes a big hit, it will most likely not affect the sales of the Creta and could have only minimal impact on the XUV 5OO.

Because both of these choices are considered safe buys and are preferred by a lot of non-enthusiasts as well, who would be really cautious when it comes to the Jeep. Hexa might be affected because it was targeted by the enthusiast who would be in two minds now, specially if he doesn't need the added space. Same goes for SCross 1.6 as well, with the 1.3 remaining untouched.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 08:34   #1402
BHPian

The pricing is out. The vehicle is on display and is being offered for a test drive too at a few places. We enthusiasts love it - not just for the looks, feel, brand value - but now also for the price point.

What remains to be seen are primarily just 2 things. (mentioned in a very particular order)
1. Team BHP's official review of the Compass - so that the enthusiasts know exactly what they are planning to buy
2. How many people other that us enthusiasts put their money on this brand at these prices.

Though the pricing is where I expected it to be (the starting range) - I am kind of let down with the pricing of the higher trim variants. Leaves a LOT to be desired. In the past 1 year we have purchased 2 Skoda Octavias - 1 base variant manual and 1 top variant automatic. Believe you me - when you are in this segment, you do feel the missing features are a lot more of a let down.
I was very keen on buying the Compass if it was reasonably priced for what it actually is, without the weight of a brand which has practically no existence in India - I am now forced to look at other options that might give me not just more value for money but also make more sense buying just for the daily use ease.

I sincerely hope I am proven wrong here, with Jeep selling more Compass than they can ever produce. But I really don't know many people who will not pit it against its competition and find it severely lacking in both SUV as well as Sedan segment.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 08:48   #1403
BHPian

Excellent pricing! There have been wild swinging numbers on sales potential. Here are my 2cents:

Based on the pricing there are a few segments that Jeep could draw its customers from:
a) Segment D sedans who are all feeling the heat from SUVs : current D-segment sales are 1000 units per month (on higher side). Sedans offer much more features for the money and SUVs are desirable for many.

b) 7 seater SUVs/MUVs : Safari Storme, Hexa, XUV, Innova. I do not think they are going to be able to make much headway into Innova category. Most private owners of Innova buy it for space, seating capacity and reliability. With space and seating capacity not being Jeep's core selling points don't think Innova sales are being dented. From amongst Hexa, Storme & XUV, the urban SUV is XUV from where Jeep will draw sales.

c) Upgrades from people considering Duster, Creta : This is a big segment of 10,000+ units. The upgrade cost is min. 2 lakhs so upgrades are not easy.

Beyond initial euphoria, more than 1000 per month units from a+b+c is unlikely.

I for one consider it as excellent pricing and finances permitting, its a close fight between D segment sedans & Compass for me.
~m

Last edited by serious_maniac : 1st August 2017 at 08:49.
Old 1st August 2017, 08:58   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Good pricing but the Petrol doesnt get 4*4 option? Why?
And seems that it is the only Diesel 4*4 that will get 6 airbags ..

Frankly, not much to differentiate the Petrol Jeep Auto from the Creta Auto, except for some safety bits. ESC, TCS etc. And a 5L premium for that?? Too much.
Actually not. Creta is not a patch on this car. Creta is a hatch on stilts with no characteristic of SUV or even proper crossover other than 'sitting high'. Atrociously high priced for what it offers. Compass is in a league of its own - driving dynamics, engine etc. If someone loves plastics in the car, then Creta is better. For better chassis and engineering, Compass is way way ahead. Even S Cross is a better product, mechanically, than Creta.
5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:02   #1405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Though the pricing is where I expected it to be (the starting range) - I am kind of let down with the pricing of the higher trim variants. Leaves a LOT to be desired.
Let's see -

Jeep Compass Limited Manual 2WD - 18.75L
Hyundai Tucson Manual Base - 20.61L.
Hyundai Tucson Automatic GL - 22.47L.
Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD - 23,86L

Jeep Compass Longitude - 16.45L
Octavia Ambition 2.0 TDI CR MT - 16.89L
Jeep Compass Longitude (o) - 17.35L
Jeep Compass Limited (o) Manual 2WD - 18.75L
Octavia Ambition 2.0 TDI CR MT - 18.95L.

Jeep Compass Limited (o) 4*4 - 20.65L.
Tiguan Comfortline - 26.56L.

Which competition do you think is priced much better (other than our desi boys Hexa and XUV)? Comparing against the sedans, the Limited (o) variant of Compass is cheaper than the mid variant of Octavia.

Also, the gap is high enough that the automatic variant of Compass has space to still undercut the Octavia mid variant automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
In the past 1 year we have purchased 2 Skoda Octavias - 1 base variant manual and 1 top variant automatic. Believe you me - when you are in this segment, you do feel the missing features are a lot more of a let down.
There is a reason why the D segment sedans are dying. People don't prefer features over the high seating position and ride quality benefits anymore, even if they don't need the 4WD abilities.

But if features are everything, the Skoda might offer more bang for the buck.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st August 2017 at 09:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:05   #1406
Senior - BHPian

I am open to buying it since I need to buy one in about 6 months. Hopefully, it will not disappoint and will have no niggles on the vehicle or on the service front. Jeep, please keep me interested.

This is a vehicle that has no match in the real SUV category in its class leaving the CUVs aside. Hopefully, they will add a panoramic sunroof by that time
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:08   #1407
BHPian

Why does the top-end Diesel 4x2 not come with side-airbags!?

Please add them Jeep and you'll have a customer in me.

Oh and while you're at it, please also add cruise control (to cover up those goddamn dummy buttons) and we're golden.

A pano sun-roof would be like icing on the cake - feel free to increase the price by about 50k just for that.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:22   #1408
BHPian

Well, it surely drives many a competition 'out of the park'.
It tells potential buyers what not to focus on
Old 1st August 2017, 09:23   #1409
BHPian

If you see the Jeep Compass website closely it shows a sunroof in the picture they have used. I hope they introduce this as a feature in some of their models.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screen-shot-20170801-9.21.05-am.png

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2017 at 11:17. Reason: Fixing attachment tag
jayeshdamle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:42   #1410
Senior - BHPian

I have been hunting for my Punto replacement for a long time now.

The choices are the Tucson and the Compass. Will wait around for Diwali and see if I get some deals on the Tucson and there is word that Hyundai may launch the 4*4 in a couple of months. Hoping they will add the ventilated seats.

If Jeep announces the top spec diesel auto then I am willing to wait out till early next year.

If FCA is reading this, pls give us a date for the Diesel auto.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks