Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:45   #1501
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Yesterday, i went to check out Hexa and the sales person said (based on the info from Tata Motors insiders) that Tata will bring out hexa 4x4 AT with improved features like larger screen and sunroof for approximately 2L more within next six months. It will make it around 21-22L OTR which sounds like good value and i might settle for that.
Good to hear about Hexa 4x4 AT with sunroof in next 6 months!

Although I tend to hear sales representatives with pinch of salt, it looks quite possible as 6 months from would be Hexa's 1st anniversary and an update is quite possible, even earlier for some cosmetics like AVN system.
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:48   #1502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So, would it make sense to plonk the same amount of money on a car that trades equipment, space and even performance for additional ground clearance and of course, great styling? I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts? My father is still on the fence.
Absolutely no sense in replacing a 3 year old Octy with 30K kms on the odo with a Compass.

The 2 airbags and the lesser performing engine are the 2 biggest reasons. The missing sunroof, electric seats and lots of other features only cement the fact. And if you compare prices the Octavia you got was the same as the Compass is now with lesser features.

Your car doesn't even see really bad roads so the added ground clearance is only a mental satisfaction that it helps. Skoda bad road package is as good and abuse friendly.

If you do have to change and don't have a choice, I would strongly suggest looking at the Elantra 2.0 petrol AT. It's more reliable, more features, more space and very good performance plus low maintenance cost. On paper it's perfect but may not appeal emotionally which your dad can decide.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:50   #1503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Although I tend to hear sales representatives with pinch of salt, it looks quite possible as 6 months from would be Hexa's 1st anniversary and an update is quite possible, even earlier for some cosmetics like AVN system.
Compass seems to have shaken TATA a bit, where as it is - Hexa had been struggling with falling sales. So I really expect them to respond with better options soon.

Here's TATA Motors taking a direct swing at the Compass -

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170801wa0025.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd August 2017 at 10:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:52   #1504
Senior - BHPian

We have used Grand Cherokee and Patriot for few weeks. Hate Patriot as it was rattling and had many ill fitted interior components. Interior looked like a first generation Indica/alto. Grand Cherokee was much better experience and interior was above average. It is better to wait for at least few months before spending big amount on a Jeep product.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd August 2017 at 10:56.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:12   #1505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He always wanted a SUV, and the Compass would make a nice retirement car.

So, would it make sense to plonk the same amount of money on a car that trades equipment, space and even performance for additional ground clearance and of course, great styling? I'm not sure.

I think you have answered your own questions. Your dad is now used to the highly refined and powerful 1.8 TSI DSG coupled with the oodles of interior space, great sedan-type handling and high quality cabin.

I frankly think he should stretch his budget and stick to VAG or the German trio and avoid Compass etc. The Tiguan is pricey else it would have suited your dad to a 'T'. Can (or does he want to) stretch to a Tiguan? Or even wait for the Karoq?

Too many choices coming up

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd August 2017 at 11:20. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:14   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Compass seems to have shaken TATA a bit, where as it is - Hexa had been struggling with falling sales. So I really expect them to respond with better options soon.

Here's TATA Motors taking a direct swing at the Compass -

Or is it that TATA was well prepared for the launch of Compass and especially by seeing these ads I feel they were too well prepared.
SaNdY_AR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:19   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
At that price, it misses out on features like electric seats, sunroof, and a couple of other little features that my father has gotten used to. Oh, and the Compass doesn't come close to the Octavia in terms of interior and boot space. We even felt that the interior quality is not as good as the Octavia's. The Compass also misses out on crucial safety equipment too (2 airbags instead of 6).

And before I forget to mention, the Octavia 1.8 TSI is not only more powerful and meatier than the Compass petrol, it is lighter(?) too!
One rather funny thing that has happened with the launch of the Compass is that we have started to look at the Octavia with some respect. Remember, this is the same overpriced, unreliable, expensive-to-maintain machine that people were scared to consider a few months ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am considering one too. The contest is between a blue Octy and a blue Compass. Maybe it only takes a reading of a couple of Skoda horror stories for me to come back with the Compass. Links anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We have used Grand Cherokee and Patriot for few weeks. Hate Patriot as it was rattling and had many ill fitted interior components. Interior looked like a first generation Indica/alto. Grand Cherokee was much better experience and interior was above average. It is better to wait for at least few months before spending big amount on a Jeep product.
No Jeep, its a Fiat. Both body and engines. So no history of Jeep unreliability is valid here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
Or is it that TATA was well prepared for the launch of Compass and especially by seeing these ads I feel they were too well prepared.
I wonder whether Tata has anything to be scared. Hexa is two sizes bigger than Compass and seats 7/8 people. No one wanting to buy the Hexa, in the right mind, would ditch it in favor of the Compass.

Last edited by civic-sense : 2nd August 2017 at 11:47. Reason: More quotes
civic-sense is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:41   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
One rather funny thing that has happened with the launch of the Compass is that we have started to look at the Octavia with some respect. Remember, this is the same overpriced, unreliable, expensive-to-maintain machine that people were scared to consider a few months ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am considering one too. The contest is between a blue Octy and a blue Compass. Maybe it only takes a reading of a couple of Skoda horror stories for me to come back with the Compass. Links anybody?
Well I have a 2009 Octavia 1.8 TPI(turbo petrol) and the car has never EVER given me trouble with no issues whatsoever. Its been powerfully fast and quite economical and thats in comparision to a BMW 320 D which I also own. I think the new Octavias are even better...........BUT now since im looking to part with my dear Octavia, the resale prices are in one word TERRIBLE.....im being offered prices of 1-2 lakh. So please make sure that at least one of the cars you own and care for has good resale values, viz from the Maruti/Hyundai stables. Sorry if ive been a bit, but I guess the Jeep is a any day winner, new ,fresh and exciting in every way and SUVs as a class have better Indian Market perception and also thus better resale values.
rxpaul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:05   #1509
jpm
BHPian

Attached is the price list I got from Jayaraj Cars, Trichy. Seems reasonable. No Logistics or handling charges though Ex-Showroom prices are different. Aren't we supposed to have one nation, one price already?

Planning to book one but a bit confused about Longitude (O) vs Limited.

+ LED Tail lamps
+ Leather wrapped steering wheel
+ Door Scuff plates
+ Reverse Parking Camera

These make for a significant difference of 94,000 INR on the road. However, whats confusing the decision is not only financial but the practicality with 3 children in the household. As much as I would like a rear camera (of course this can be added later) and LED tail lamps, I am concerned about the whitish leather interiors of the Limited version. This might be more difficult to keep clean in comparison to Longitude version which has a more manageable beige interior. or not?

One interesting fact: initially after the Hexa Test Drive my dad and brother were apprehensive about putting 2 million on a Tata. However they are enthusiastic about Compass even though Jeep is a more obscure brand with very limited reach and potentially uncertain future in India.

As an aside, I cross the now Ghost-Showroom of GM-Chevrolet (incidentally the same Jayaraj Group) en route to work daily. Not a reassuring sight I must say.

---
As for test drive, the dealer provided one on the very next day.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1501646183919.jpg  

Last edited by jpm : 2nd August 2017 at 12:09. Reason: Cleanup
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:16   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Funnily, we own an Octavia 1.8 TSI (on lease) and my father was interested in switching to the Compass after the lease expires.

He always wanted a SUV, and the Compass would make a nice retirement car.
============================

I mentioned this in one of my initial posts - Jeep Compass in petrol + AT avatar is expensive by at least 10%. For a ~24lac SUV it misses on what I believe are must haves - 6 airbags, Sunroof and Cruise control. Plus the rear seat legroom and shoulder room is as good as what you will find in a Creta. In this aspect I think City ZX seems to be a super value for money

However, the pricing of lower variant (Sports) is exciting for anyone wanting to own a very well built and engineered SUV with safety features.

This is also the reason why I mentioned that we will see at least 15 to 20% bookings getting cancelled. Jeep has received 60% bookings for diesel so I don't see much impact here but majority of the 40% bookings for petrol would have been for AT and I see quite a few of these bookings getting cancelled.

If I was in the market for a SUV with not all bells and whistles I would have definitely considered Sports variant. But for me AT is a must and Compass petrol AT turns out to be expensive.

Eventually we will see bookings for Compass settle at around 500 per month.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd August 2017 at 14:24. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
damager21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:29   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Talked to few of my friends looking to buy a new vehicle. Majority say its expensive for the top end model. I think people still have the 20 lakh barrier in their minds for a compact SUV. We have seen bigger SUVs like Fortuner start with lesser than this price before !
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:31   #1512
Team-BHP Support

If they remain reasonable on pricing, I would seriously consider this as an addition to my garage in 12 - 18 months. In 4x4 A/T guise.

It adds a nice compact size vehicle to complement the much longer GT sedan. Can self drive in the city by wife and me, use on bad roads or those rougher parts of the city where more compact dimensions are useful, take it out on those difficult monsoon days, and use for outdoor drives that end up with mild offroading. Most of which best avoided with the GT.

My current 97,000 kms / 2009 City will also hit the 10 year mark by then so it'll be perfect time to add this as a second vehicle.

EDIT: Actually, in the intervening period, I'd keep an eye out for any unusual reliability issues, quality of service, fuel efficiency if it is unusually off mark. I think I saw somewhere that the D - A/T has paddle shifts. If they listen to customers and add a sun roof as well ... then oh boy ... it'll take all my will power and prudence to keep me away from that cheque book before time. :-)

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd August 2017 at 12:47.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:35   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Brother, i just converted a guy at work from Jeep to Octavia. The sedan will last longer, safer and ride better for years IMHO. In fact the only other car i suggested was to look at the top end elantra 2L Petrol.
So true!

Just checked the specs, the compass is shorter than the c2 segment ciaz/city,narrower than a duster. I dont think it would be as spacious as the average D segment sedan.

Coming to the ground clearance debate, I have driven my safari 1.25 lakh km all across TN, through all types of terrain(not hardcore offroad though), and there hasnt been a single time I felt "Thank God, I have 200mm GC, else I wouldnt have crossed this patch of road". Again, my ciaz with 170mm GC, over 40000 km of driving, havent scraped except for a couple of times on gigantic rural speed breakers. Atleast for majority of us, 200+ mm ground clearance is just a mental satisfaction as someone already told, not a requirement.

And add in handling into the equation, an octavia makes a lot more sense than the Jeep.
The way i see it, Jeep compass is a great alternate to the Creta. Jeep Compass killing XUV/crysta, I doubt it would happen. A large family would be happy in the latter than in the Jeep.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd August 2017 at 12:50.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:49   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yup now waiting for the delivery now and price is exactly as I expected! I guess I may be the first on TBHP to get the delivery and start the ownership review!
Finally!! It was a long wait for your Yeti replacement. We shall be waiting for your ownership review. Are you going for black this time too?
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:59   #1515
BHPian

Pricelist in Hyderabad attached.

Do note Logistics charges of INR 20,000 being levied on the customers - Not cool!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Compass Price List.pdf (201.0 KB, 1054 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks