Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 10:46   #1621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
but he likes a sedan and certainly the three pointed star. Now I have finally got a 2012 C250 cdi which also in our budget of 17 lakhs. In any case my Dad says that the 1.4 petrol auto of Compass is coming to 23.5 OTR, is out of budget. Is it worth it to stretch? What should I do.
C250 is a hoot to drive, it looks better(personal opinion) and it is a Mercedes! I would go for the C250 without any second thoughts. At 17 lakhs, it is good value for money too!

My friend just upgraded from a C250 to an E350. The pre-owned E class was bought for 21 lakhs. So you have multiple options with the 3 pointed star under 24 lakhs.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th August 2017 at 10:49.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:54   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
First time I have seen something like this from Tata. Seen BMW, Mercedes and Audi take potshots at eachother.
'On most counts'

So they are mostly confident, but not completely!
What points does it not beat the compass on? Brand/ snob value? SUV looks? ..

If they want to take a potshot at least do it a little subtly, if they have data to back it 'mostly'
Old 4th August 2017, 10:58   #1623
jpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Hi guys, any updates on the sort of final on road prices that you were able to negotiate?
Especially with the massive variation between insurance costs and strange overheads such as logistics, RTO handling, accessories etc?
Here is the updated quotation! Apparently they made a 'total' mistake in the one they sent me before by forgetting to add Tax Collected at Source to the OTR.

Plus the sales rep was eagerly saying the insurance was nil dep, b2b as quoted. But went back after I signed the cheque to say I have to pay 3K extra for nil dep insurance.

I felt disappointed as someone switching to a new brand. It was not very professional or confidence-inspiring to bring a customer to the showroom first with a wrong OTR price list (regardless of the quantum of change) and then promise nil-dep insurance as click-bait and then go back on that, after signing the booking cheque.

I felt the whole thing became complicated unnecessarily but turned out okay in the end as the salesperson was courteous enough to accept nil-dep at the quoted price as well as give in writing that the accessories 7.5K INR be waived off at delivery.

So INR 21,90,957 is what I have booked for a Limited 4x2 Diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-picture.jpg  

Last edited by jpm : 4th August 2017 at 11:03.
jpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:59   #1624
BHPian

Zzzzhuppp ... once more please - Zzzzhuppp - Zzzzhuppp - Zzzzhuppp , wait that was three more times.

What the heck am I talking about, well that's the freaking door of the compass!!!

What an awesome awesome feeling to just close that door, man that door means business and a serious one at that. Haven't seen any other car in that range which has solidity like that.
And this translates to some serious peace of mind.

And ya how much does this cost?
Woah that is some sweet pricing, seen after a very long time!

Most of the time we look forward for a new upcoming car which kind of touches the heart and then the companies announce the heart-breaking prices (Rectangle, Mop, Critter, etc. etc.). All of them decide to add all sorts of dreams into their pricing strategies, some still prosper and some don't.

Maybe due to some introspective thinking, maybe to change the image, maybe to capture market - whatever, but this will work hands down.

The single most important reason is that it touches the heart - Jeep can do things to you.
There are a lot of skeptics, a lot of haters but there are still people who still bought Fiats for the love of it, in spite of the design not having changed, outdated models etc. etc. are those people happy? Guess so, not many sob stories on the punks and lineages.

Happy now? You bet, my dream car has just been replaced, I was hoping that they don't keep overly optimistic prices just coz you have a good product - sale-ability is important.

This is going to be the most important review for this year and will have record viewership - lovers and haters alike, this will bring them all under one roof.

Which direction? Its a compass, it should know better!

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:11   #1625
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post

Make no mistake, Compass is a great package. But its only version that matters considering this is a CSUV, the Limited AWD, is 24lacs on-road. =========
I request those who checked the Compass in real to comment on the actual GC, that's the one from ground to bumper lip and to the bumper line.

I'm in no way dissing the Compass but as someone who gauges vehicles based on its capabilities, it's disturbing to find such restrictive design elements.
=======
Now don't take my head, this is what only Me, Myself & I feel.

Thank you so much for this detailed review. This review is going freeze my decision and am going for ADW. Certainly a Duster is something that actually belong to people like me. Compass is a brilliant fancy creation but not something that am looking for.

Thank you so so much sir

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th August 2017 at 11:52. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
shaktinanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:19   #1626
BHPian

Anyone got the price list from Pune dealers? Kindly upload if possible.
Old 4th August 2017, 11:28   #1627
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Compass is miles ahead of Duster in terms of build quality and overall fit and finish.
The only areas Duster is preferable over Compass base version:
- Ride Quality - As per the initial reports
- Interior space - can accommodate 5 adults
- AWD system

Take a long TD of Compass to check the Ride Quality first hand. If you don't need that extra space and AWD system, I don't see any reason to go for Duster.
PS: My daily drive is Duster AWD

Thank you for the review sir, Certainly the fit and finish is way ahead of what Renault is offering but the basic purpose of a vehicle that am looking for isn't their in Compass. Compass is a fancy occasional off roader at an affordable price in my opinion. Not for someone like me who drive regularly on all kinds of road and no roads.

Shall do a test drive of Compass today but don't that will change my mind from duster AWD unless it shows some miracles.
Old 4th August 2017, 11:46   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Need urgent advice

Have booked a Duster AWD and awaiting for delivery but in the lunch of Compass forcing me to rethink. I certainly can't afford the Compass limited version but can go for the Sports version that has a 2l engine.

I drive about 60 to 90 kms everyday on all kinds of roads. At times even drive on surfaces that can't be called road. For me good GC, driving comfort, stability and low maintenance costs are priority.

Kindly advise in making a decision between Duster AWD and Compass Sports.
Evaluate whether the bad roads you drive on really requires an AWD. We automatically assume bad roads = AWD. But a normal 2WD with some tough tyres should be able to tackle bad roads just fine.
Old 4th August 2017, 11:51   #1629
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how well the Compass is rated in terms of safety and we all know thicker sheet metal does not necessarily guarantee a safer car. That said if you are calling Duster crap just because it comes with two airbags, what about Compass? barring 4x4 model rest all come with 2 airbags. It gets some more safety kit but then also costs a lot more. Its similar to comparing BMW X1 with Compass and abusing Compass because it is not as safe as X1.
Compass is a good package but comparing it with Creta/Duster or X1/Q3 is not the right thing to do. Ideally all comparison should be within same price range(Tuscon, Hexa, Innova etc.)

Last edited by PrideRed : 4th August 2017 at 11:56.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:55   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Thank you for the review sir, Certainly the fit and finish is way ahead of what Renault is offering but the basic purpose of a vehicle that am looking for isn't their in Compass. Compass is a fancy occasional off roader at an affordable price in my opinion. Not for someone like me who drive regularly on all kinds of road and no roads.

Shall do a test drive of Compass today but don't that will change my mind from duster AWD unless it shows some miracles.
You will be happy either ways. Both are competent cars.
My only advise is not to reject Compass assuming its fancy. Going by the reviews so far its better engineered and built like a mini tank. It should serve you longer on broken roads.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 12:25   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
------------
Why do all the video reviews, this and many others available in youtube, pronounce the name as "CUMPASS". Shouldn't it be COMPASS, sounding similar to COMPACT?

Last edited by civic-sense : 4th August 2017 at 12:31. Reason: Post edited, please avoid Quoting Youtube links, affects readability esp on mobile devices. Thanks.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:30   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Why do all the video reviews, this and many others available in Youtube, pronounce the name as "CUMPAS". Shouldn't it be COMPAS, sounding similar to COMPACT?
The American way of saying it perhaps?
Old 4th August 2017, 12:51   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Why do all the video reviews, this and many others available in Youtube, pronounce the name as "CUMPASS". Shouldn't it be COMPASS, sounding similar to COMPACT?
It's not COM-Pus like in compact but Cum-pas. to be correct it is [kuhm-puh s]

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The American way of saying it perhaps?
No, both UK and US pronunciation is almost same for this

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...nglish/compass
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 13:22   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Worth noting this, three variants for test drive. Even the leading brands doesn't do this. Seems FCA is going all out to ensure a grand success.
Even I was impressed with this fact that they had 3 variants for Test drive. The showroom has 2 display vehicles as well. So you could say they had 5 vehicles only for the customer to get a feel of all the variants. And that is actually superb. I for one, have never heard a manufacturer having 3 test drive vehicles of different variants on launch day available.

Kudos and all the best to FCA for what is a very impressive car indeed.

P.S : Offer a top spec automatic 4x4, with cruise control auto headlamp and wipers and a sunroof and I promise I won't consider any other car while upgrading
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 13:28   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Even I was impressed with this fact that they had 3 variants for Test drive. The showroom has 2 display vehicles as well. So you could say they had 5 vehicles only for the customer to get a feel of all the variants. And that is actually superb. I for one, have never heard a manufacturer having 3 test drive vehicles of different variants on launch day available.

Kudos and all the best to FCA for what is a very impressive car indeed.

P.S : Offer a top spec automatic 4x4, with cruise control auto headlamp and wipers and a sunroof and I promise I won't consider any other car while upgrading
Are you considering a diesel or petrol automatic ? Going ahead we are quite tilted towards buying a petrol automatic & if it has AWD capabilities , it would really be icing on the cake .

Last edited by drift2race : 4th August 2017 at 13:45.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed