Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 22:52   #1666
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Your only other choice is the Mahindra Thar CRDI; I am not counting the Force Gurkha at all for the obvious reason. I read Crazy's post saying that you are in the market looking for an AWD with somewhat compact dimensions, otherwise I would have recommended you the XUV500 W8 AWD also. I'd still suggest these two Mahindras though....

Thar CRDI is certainly the best as far as engineering is concerned but the problem is, it can't be used as a regular commuting vehicle. While travelling we carry many expensive gears which we have to leave in the vehicle and trek or walk in to forests or places where vehicle cannot go. Hence a good proper secured vehicle is needed for me. I do have a Gypsy 410w. Shall sell that and buy a thar someday. Thank you 😊
shaktinanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 22:54   #1667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Any reason why Innova Crysta is missing from the list? Going by pricing, Innova Crysta is the one that matches Jeep Compass . On Road pricing of 2.8Z AT is about 25-26 lacs here in Bangalore which is what 4x4 Limited would cost.
Also the 2.4GX goes head on with Sport with both costing about 19 lacs.
No matter what gets launched, this overpriced T is least impacted.(9300 copies sold in July).

Haha ... no reason really I guess I got lazy and also forgot about it as I typed along.

Also, on a lighter note, unlike many other options, the innova customer is looking for only one thing and one requirement. He wants an Innova. :-)

But yes in the same vein of analysis, you get full size MUV with diesel / petrol and manual / auto options with a powerful engine and Toyota after sales reliability. Misses on 4x4 capability.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:33   #1668
BANNED

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post

Maybe I am mistaken here Petrol should get both MT & AT though Only in Sport & Limited variant
Probable answers here can be the gearbox - these are chosen out of the in house portfolio depending on max input torque handling capability and cost.

The 4x2 Petrol to the 4x4 Petrol In my view would differ in weight by at least a 100 KGs and the added weight with the limited torque in a fuel efficiency obsessed country (kitna deta hai) like India - would only lead to a bad rep.

This again I think was answered by @CrAzY dRiVeR earlier - that neither do other manufacturers.
I assume the above has been answered by other BHPians earlier - The Petrol also being a Turbo Charged Engine leads to a smaller gap in prices
I guess you have answered your question yourself - heavier vehicle - petrol turbo would not be adequate for performance - so double whammy - poor performance and mileage

The thing is, Petrol doesn't get a loaded manual variant and even worse it doesn't have a fully loaded 6 airbag version. and to top it all off, the petrol is only marginally cheaper. Pretty much a paper launch (they are not even offering TDs right now) just to be able to say we have a petrol.

and other manufacturers eg; VW, skoda have 1.8 TSi which is much cheaper than the equivalent TDI engine. I'm sure Jeep can do it too, but I believe maybe the 1.4 is not made in toto here, and probably imported. and somehow it seems that they don't have enough faith in the petrol. If they don't, they should launch a better engine.

and Yes, obviously they have a different gearbox since there is no MT on anything Petrol except for the Base SPORT

Last edited by agambhandari : 4th August 2017 at 23:36.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:47   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
and other manufacturers eg; VW, skoda have 1.8 TSi which is much cheaper than the equivalent TDI engine.
@agambhandari - IIRC the features list on the Skoda Petrol & Diesel are / were different - Which may be one reason for the Petrol being cheaper.

Quote:
but I believe maybe the 1.4 is not made in toto here, and probably imported
You are probably right, if the Petrol Engine is not made here it could add to cost and hence the smaller difference.

@all - can anyone share if they have knowledge of whether the Multiair II Petrol is manufactured at Ranjangaon or not?

Also are the existing TJet & Abarth engines imported or locally manufactured?

On a side note - IT WOULD BE AMAZING if FCA released the current Multiair II (160 BHP) & Multijet II (170 BHP) engines in a Linea / Linea Replacement.

Would probably redefine the segment at least for price performance.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:52   #1670
BHPian

I had booked the Compass with the local dealer way back in December 2016 when rumours were doing rounds that launch was pre-poned. I considered the Tucson and never considered other vehicles to which it's being compared to in various discussions.

I have a Creta too and I am still going for the Compass as a second car, I don't think they are in the same league. Creta is purely for city use with the driver and the compass for self driving on highway journeys.

Hexa is too large for my liking, The crysta is a MPV, Tucson lacks soul and it felt very numb to drive, though the ride and resonsive engine go in its favour. XUV though priced on par with the Hexa has a good engine but the interior plastics really put me off and the news about things going wrong with it in the past and especially alloys of earlier model breaking wouldn't make me go anywhere near it.

I owned a Duster 110 too in the past and I do have a soft corner for it considering its ride and handling and highway munching ability, but has flawed ergonomics and a platform which is not modern and which is built to a price cannot make it worthy enough to be compared to the Compass which is from a different segment altogether.

There may be people who are planning to buy a Duster or a Creta and can stretch their budgets or someone planning a Hexa or Crysta even if they don't need so much space or 7-8 seats.

Or there may be people who have around 20 Lacs to spend on a vehicle but really don't know what exactly they want. The value of a Hexa, Cheap thrills of a Duster, bragging rights of owning a crysta or safe as an appliance Creta !!!

But to me only the Compass and Tucson are only two vehicles which can be actually compared, they both are from the same segment and are comparable in many ways, I feel rest of the comparisons are by people who have budget and don't mind jumping segments or across categories.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170801wa00741.jpeg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170801wa0068.jpeg  

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Tucson, not Tuscon.
autohead is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 00:36   #1671
BHPian

Is there a chance the Diesel AT versions will be available on longitude/longitude(o) variants as well? Any insights?

Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 09:29   #1672
BHPian

Does anyone have photos of the Indian SPORT variant? Can't seem to find it anywhere! 😢
Old 5th August 2017, 09:43   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
Does anyone have photos of the Indian SPORT variant? Can't seem to find it anywhere! 😢
Please refer to post on 1st August, page 99 by Damodar. First six pictures are of the Sport
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 09:58   #1674
BHPian

Thanks Autohead.

Has anyone made changes to color, variant from original booking? I had booked a Sport, White and now thinking of a Longitude, Silver. Nobody has contacted from FCA post launch.
Old 5th August 2017, 11:02   #1675
BHPian

Booked a Petrol limited (O). But now confused whether to go for 4x4 manual.

Petrol: Automatic as drive mainly in Gurgaon traffic which is only going to increase in coming 5 years. However, no review / TD of petrol variant. Further, landmark is saying delivery in mid November.
Diesel: 6 airbags. 4x4 for that leh trip with friends (though only in theory). Powerful engine. Within the month delivery.

We will be keeping a driver for the weekdays and running is under 1k per month. Can't wait for diesel automatic as need delivery at the earliest.

Inputs please
Old 5th August 2017, 11:05   #1676
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Why do I need 4x4 to get 6 airbags? I can't get people in the back without driving the rear wheels?
Agreed with the stupidity of the decision.

After all, those 6 airbags are more useful at 120 km/h on the expressway (2WD territory) than 30 km/h on a mud / slush trail (AWD territory).
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 11:23   #1677
Team-BHP Support

The lack of 6 airbags in all but the diesel 4x4 version is my biggest gripe with the Compass. Even the 21+ lakhs petrol DCT is not having 6 airbags.

If at all I feel like upgrading from the Ecosport to the Compass which is a perfect upgrade imo albeit automatic, I will lose out on safety vs my Ecosport which is half the price!

This is one serious blunder from the product team.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 11:24   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
Booked a Petrol limited (O). But now confused whether to go for 4x4 manual.

Petrol: Automatic as drive mainly in Gurgaon traffic which is only going to increase in coming 5 years. However, no review / TD of petrol variant. Further, landmark is saying delivery in mid November.
Diesel: 6 airbags. 4x4 for that leh trip with friends (though only in theory). Powerful engine. Within the month delivery.

We will be keeping a driver for the weekdays and running is under 1k per month. Can't wait for diesel automatic as need delivery at the earliest.

Inputs please
I would suggest you to opt for the diesel 4x4 just for those additional airbags. Do note that the reliability of the DDCT gearbox on the petrol variant in the stop and go traffic is still a big question mark. Also I doubt if the petrol automatic would give more than 7-8 kmpl when driven enthusiastically going by my TJet experience.

I decided to cancel my compass booking as Jeep doesn't want to offer full safety kit to its AT customers. I hope customers like me will teach them a lesson.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 5th August 2017 at 11:26.
ece2k2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 11:29   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with the stupidity of the decision.

After all, those 6 airbags are more useful at 120 km/h on the expressway (2WD territory) than 30 km/h on a mud / slush trail (AWD territory).
Is it still possible for FCA to do that before giving delivery. Creta, for instance still doesn't give 6 airbags to automatic variants even after 2+ years of launch.
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 12:09   #1680
BHPian

Just spoke to my friend working in jeep showroom in south Tamilnadu.
They have 60+ bookings already.
The bookings from hill / estate areas are all for 2 wheel drives. He said all the estate guys who book 4x4 prefer manual transmission.
He has asked me to wait till Renegade comes next March as I need a 4x4 on a lesser budget.
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks