Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 17:37   #1876
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
As per my understanding and also confirmed with our lease company Orix, with company lease option, it shall not matter when you buy your car, pre GST or post GST, whenever GST gets applicable, it will be reflected on the EMI. Please correct if there are any other facts.
True that. Even my Linea TJet is under lease with Orix (My wife's company) and the GST rates have been passed on to my wife. the EMI has jumped by around 7500 INR per month and the residual value has jumped by 90,000 INR (Approx.)
Old 14th August 2017, 17:45   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
As per my understanding and also confirmed with our lease company Orix, with company lease option, it shall not matter when you buy your car, pre GST or post GST, whenever GST gets applicable, it will be reflected on the EMI. Please correct if there are any other facts.
The point here is on the application of cess from current 15% to 25% proposed for SUVs and larger cars, which would take the GST from existing 43% to 53%. The GST on the lease rental EMI is already at 43%. There is no clarity yet on whether the GST on lease rental will also increase if the GST on the car sale goes to 53%, if the updated cess comes into effect. This is my understanding and if there are any CAs on the forum, please enlighten us!
Old 14th August 2017, 20:28   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
There is no clarity yet on whether the GST on lease rental will also increase if the GST on the car sale goes to 53%
I see and understand what u r saying, however, as per Orix guys, GST on lease would ALSO increase in similar proportion as and when new GST is applicable on new cars, 2 month or 2 years. Lot of guys in my company have put their applications on hold due to this.
Old 14th August 2017, 20:46   #1879
Distinguished - BHPian

The GST on leased cars discussion can continue on this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...leasing-5.html

Lets get back to the Compass on this thread please.
End of day there is a lot of uncertainty on the price and we don't know finally what decision the government takes!
Old 15th August 2017, 17:58   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post

Although, Karoq might only be launched in its DSG iteration which might shut it out for many of us here!
Why is that? You don't like the DSG or that the DSG will cost more than the manual?
Old 15th August 2017, 18:26   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Why is that? You don't like the DSG or that the DSG will cost more than the manual?
Many of us are passionate about our manuals. For me at least manual transmission is a non negotiable requirement.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 19:53   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I like the MT more. DSG is no doubt amazingly seamless but that feel of shifting gears in a MT is unparalleled for me.
torque18 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 20:25   #1883
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Compass on the Krishnagiri - Hosur stretch. It has a good road presence and looked like a higher segment premium SUV .

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170815_113333.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 23:44   #1884
BHPian

There are already a few tbhp members who have done a short test drive of Compass. If some of them have driven Duster earlier, my question to them is: Does the 4x2 version of Compass match the "carpet ride" of Duster AWD in typical Indian roads?
Old 16th August 2017, 00:23   #1885
BHPian

Has anybody been able to book or take delivery of the Sport Petrol? The Jeep website does not list it as an option in the Ebooking page. The dealer I contacted (my city does not have any Jeep dealers) said there is a 4 month waiting list. Am wondering whether the Sport Petrol is paper-only model.
Old 16th August 2017, 10:21   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
There are already a few tbhp members who have done a short test drive of Compass. If some of them have driven Duster earlier, my question to them is: Does the 4x2 version of Compass match the "carpet ride" of Duster AWD in typical Indian roads?
I have driven my compass for around 150 km now and had driven a duster(4x2) a couple of years earlier for around 1k km. The compass is close but still cannot match the "carpet ride" of duster.
ashishs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 16:09   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
I had owned a Duster 4x2 in the past and did around 22k kilometers and driven it in varied conditions, did a short test drive of the Compass too recently. Compass seems to have less vertical movement when compared to the duster and has better poise during high speed maneouvers.

Thought I had driven a Duster AWD also which has independent suspension in the rear, it's ride is even better than Duster 4x2 with less vertical movement and probably different spring rating.

Duster is unbeatable on certain aspects in its class, but on the whole Compass provides a more all round and refined package in terms of ride and handling with added electronic safety features.
autohead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 16:27   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead View Post
I had owned a Duster 4x2 in the past and did around 22k kilometers and driven it in varied conditions, did a short test drive of the Compass too recently. Compass seems to have less vertical movement when compared to the duster and has better poise during high speed maneouvers.

Thought I had driven a Duster AWD also which has independent suspension in the rear, it's ride is even better than Duster 4x2 with less vertical movement and probably different spring rating.
Thank you for the very useful information. Yes, I was comparing with the Duster AWD which has an excellent suspension. However, what downgraded the Duster AWD experience was bad NVH, heavy steering and spongy brakes which bites after some amount of travel of the break pedal. I was ready to sacrifice the bad interior for that supreme ride in Duster. I will check out the Compass now. Hope the clutch in Compass is not very for city traffic.

Last edited by sups : 16th August 2017 at 16:29.
Old 16th August 2017, 22:43   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Hope the clutch in Compass is not very for city traffic.
I would not say that the clutch of Compass is very light but it is very progressive and seamless unlike most vehicles where the biting point is distinct and one needs to concentrate on the exact release pressure depending on the conditions. You can release the clutch in one single smooth movement without any springiness or vague engagement.

Thought not many people mentioned but I felt the brakes could do with more feel and bite, I tried panic braking in straight line and while cornering, the vehicle did maintain its line and never stepped out, but may be because of lot of safety aids at play in stopping the vehicle with least drama and in a safest possible manner, the interference of electronics might have led to some loss of the feel and mechanical feedback we got so used to. Also as the vehicle was brand new, i hope with the initial mould release chemicals wearing off on the tyres they will bed in properly and offer more feel and feedback in due course.

Last edited by autohead : 16th August 2017 at 22:46.
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 22:59   #1890
BHPian

Visited Jeep Ahmedabad last Saturday. It seemed they couldn't care less about selling the vehicle. I wasn't offered a test drive & I didn't even bother to ask for it after seeing their attitude. The sales guy didn't even bother to note down my contact details (sales disaster if you ask me).

Anyway, I had my brief moments with the vehicle. I loved the build quality, IMO it's even better than MK6 Jetta. I felt interiors are a notch below than the same of Creta.

I was thinking about putting my year old Brezza on olx & see if I could fetch around 85% resale to make way for Compass but I dropped the idea after the brief visit of showroom. Needless to say Jeep ASS would be a disaster.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed