Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 10:52   #2011
BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

I used to check every now and then before. Last few days I have promised to myself that I will check only three times a day - morning, after lunch and then before leaving office - it should not affect your work and life, right? You know what I mean?
devansn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 11:00   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Carwale has done a session of off-roading with the Compass, Tiguan, Hexa, Fortuner and V-Cross.
Nice test. Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing BlackPearl! Would have been great if they had the big Ford too in there.

The usual suspects faring well in their respective sections! Hexa' ride quality is really something else though. 10/10 on the beaker test. Just wow!

Here is the final score card!
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture3.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-capture4.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 11:39   #2013
BHPian

The KHT experience has been a real adventure. And I mean in a really bad way .

Pre delivery:
I had booked the vehicle online couple of months back and had to follow with the Domlur FCA showroom folks for 2 weeks post allotment of vehicle. They never returned a call or met any commitments made on phone, even with the vehicle readily available in stock. I had got to see my vehicle at the stockyard to confirm chassis/engine number for insurance. After a few days they said that the allotment has changed. The insurance from KHT is a rip off as with most dealers, I opted to get it outside for 25k less, with same IDV and add ons. Sales guys excuse was that there were not enough people to take care of Compass customers as 4 staffs were dedicated to sell CBU's, to which I had to LOL. Either they are not sync with FCA stratergy in India, or they are just loose cannons. Overall it left an impression that my purchase was taken for granted.

Delivery day:
After moving delivery days ahead twice, the vehicle was finally delivered this way -
It was dusty as it was parked outside post RTO visit , no number plate, no invoice copies, no mudflaps, no reg/tax papers whatsoever, no demo of vehicle made, NO RIBBON , just a car parked on the pavement and keys handed over. Having taken delivery of a Terrano, Creta in the past, I have to say this is probably the worst experience ever. There were no details provided of a service plan, in fact currently there is no dedicated Jeep service yet in BLR. So if we have trouble with the vehicle, it needs to be taken to the KHT Tata service yard (Brookesfield for me). The sales guy said that all pending items will be done and provided on Monday.

As someone appropriately stated in this thread, a classis example of a good product in bad hands. BTW, will update more on the product sometime next week.
anil_neo is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 12:26   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I just couldn't understand why some cars have a huge turning radius despite their compact size and vice versa.
First foremost reason is the wheelbase size. A car which has short wheelbase is going to U turn much more easily than a car with longer wheelbase.
Second reason being are the wheel well differences. When we turn, the wheel has to pivot into the wheel well towards the engine bay. Car has only have small room in there.
Third reason that is some FWD cars have generally worse turning radius than RWD cars, as the CV joints limit how far you can turn the wheels. CV joints have a max angle of about 25-35 degrees, car manufactures probably limit the steering angle to something safe like 23-30 degrees.
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 13:12   #2015
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503646797.379466.jpg One big reason for FCA to be finally feel elated of its performance in the Indian market. The investment made is now looking as a master stroke from the FCA management.
indiaashish is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 13:50   #2016
BHPian

Thanks to the Compass and the up-coming Nexon, The joint venture between Tata and Fiat at Ranjangaon may hit the break-even point and may be there balance sheet might turn Green, That's surely a good news for both the manufacturer's
Visran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 13:58   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
The KHT experience has been a real adventure. And I mean in a really bad way .
This is totally unacceptable! Do report this to: service.india@fcagroup.com
BTW a new Fiat/Jeep Service center at Yeshwantpur (KHT) was inaugurated by FCA CEO yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
Attachment 1669589 One big reason for FCA to be finally feel elated of its performance in the Indian market. The investment made is now looking as a master stroke from the FCA management.
Great news for Fiat India & their customers/fans in India!
This would mean high prospects for new models both in Fiat & Jeep lineup in India!

Last edited by finneyp : 25th August 2017 at 14:08.
finneyp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 14:23   #2018
BHPian

^I had the 500 Abarth 595 Turismo on a recent road trip and let me tell you, the turning radius was so atrocious, I had to do three point turns where even the Tucson would turn in easily. It was so bad that at one point while parking I thought I'd just get out and "lift and slide" (/Ross) the car into place :P

I mean, that car is the size of a sock!

Also, it (probably) has the same 1.4L 165 hp engine as in the petrol Compass.

Just checked the specs, the turning radius is 11 goddamn meters. Wait, What?

Edit: so many posts in the last few minutes, I was replying to the turning radius discussion earlier.

Last edited by theMAG : 25th August 2017 at 16:57. Reason: Acronym removed, in the best interests of readability.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 14:47   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
Attachment 1669589 One big reason for FCA to be finally feel elated of its performance in the Indian market. The investment made is now looking as a master stroke from the FCA management.
Especially when you consider that they has made an investment of USD 280 million towards the localisation and production of the Compass in India. With USD 245 million worth of orders they have almost broken even.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 25th August 2017, 15:26   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Just checked the specs, the turning radius is 11 goddamn meters. Wait, What?
Please check once again. It most probably will be turning DIAMETER, not radius!

That means a turning radius of 5.5mtrs, which is still ridiculous for a car that size.
arif_t01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 15:37   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Carwale has done a session of off-roading with the Compass, Tiguan, Hexa, Fortuner and V-Cross
Thanks for sharing. However, the Fortuner and V-Cross are in a different league altogether from the other three when it comes to off-road capabilities - should have been kept out of this session. They could have included XUV 5OO AWD and Duster AWD instead.

That said, I am disappointed by the front overhang of the Compass to say the least - sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise commendable design. Will scrap on slight undulations of regular roads, forget off-road trails

Eagerly awaiting the launch of Trail Hawk

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th August 2017 at 15:40.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 15:40   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Especially when you consider that they has made an investment of USD 280 million towards the localisation and production of the Compass in India. With USD 245 million worth of orders they have almost broken even.

Drive on,
Shibu.
How? 280 million is investment, 245 is revenue not the profits right?

Break even will be a long way away, but certainly can be achieved with good sales for sure.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 19:34   #2023
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Especially when you consider that they has made an investment of USD 280 million towards the localisation and production of the Compass in India.
About Rs. 1,800 crores which is cheap. MNC brands have it easy as they get readymade products from their international HQ. This is unlike 'made for India' products or homegrown cars - I remember Tata had spend 1,800 crores on the original Indica back in the 90s!

If we assume a profit of 3 lakhs per Compass (it might be higher), Jeep India needs to sell about 60,000 of them. Should be doable in <2 years, especially if we count exports as only the Indian factory will be supplying to RHD markets. After that, the company is going to be raking in the moolah.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 19:57   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If we assume a profit of 3 lakhs per Compass (it might be higher), Jeep India needs to sell about 60,000 of them. Should be doable in <2 years, especially if we count exports as only the Indian factory will be supplying to RHD markets. After that, the company is going to be raking in the moolah.
60k units should be easily doable with just the domestic sales. Jeep is also going to export a substantial volume of the Compass as well. That along with its JV with Tata,should really be on its way. it's all economies of scale.

It will be pretty easy to hit this mark. Boy o boy , didn't FCA really turn up for the show this time around. With a production capacity of 110 cars a day, if demand is strong and assume 3 lakhs per car profit, they will break even in 18-24 months.

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2017 at 13:59. Reason: Double post deleted
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 20:59   #2025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
About Rs. 1,800 crores which is cheap. MNC brands have it easy as they get readymade products from their international HQ. This is unlike 'made for India' products or homegrown cars - I remember Tata had spend 1,800 crores on the original Indica back in the 90s!

Also consider, the volumes generated for export and legal jugaad in transfer pricing. Add to the fact that Jeep dealers are appearing everywhere. Last year, there was only Ahmedabad!

If the Renegade is added, manufacturing overheads will be amortised further!
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed