Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 16:45   #211
BHPian

Re: Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire

The new Dzire looks horrible in my opinion. The thick chrome surround looks downright gaudy, rivaled only by the new Ertiga.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:50   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I am not going to be able to answer your questions, but I do have a recommendation that you should also look at the Baleno Delta. At 30k less than the Dzire VXI, you get more features like ACC, reverse parking sensors etc. The extra space being a bonus. Actually, the features in the equivalent models of the Baleno and Dzire are almost neck to neck, except for the VXI/VDI Dzire and the Delta Baleno, where the Baleno is better equipped and cheaper.

So unless, you specifically need a sedan or want more boot space, the Baleno would make for a good choice.
You are right. Baleno seems to be better vfm considering the extra features you have mentioned. Not to forget better 185 tyres coming in baleno Delta rather than 165 in dzire Vxi which I feel are not good enough. Extra boot space is always useful in my line of work. I also have a Honda City with great boot space if more luggage is required so it's not a deal breaker. But, waiting periods are a deterrent along with not so good ride quality which I have heard from many owners. Still, will do a TD to make up my mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post

If you are a newbie driver, AMT gives you better FE and a smoother ride. OTOH, if you have been driving since years and can row through your own gears, the manual one gives you more.
Nicely summarised. I have been driving since more than 20 years so manual should be a good choice but I am more inclined towards AMT due to its stress free driving. Manual is surely more fun but quite tiresome in delhi traffic conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
This is the mistake most of the people do. Even I did the same calculation when I bought my vehicle back in 2014. Gone are the days when you make petrol vs diesel decision based just on economics.
As they both drive differently, my suggestion to you is to test drive both and buy the one that you like to drive (pick between the silent and refined petrol or the noisy-yet-torquey-and-fuel-efficient diesel) and the one that your family likes to travel in (passengers prefer to travel in cars which are silent). Either way, you won't go bankrupt.
Makes sense. As you are driving a petrol dzire could you tell me some quick pros and cons about it? I haven't owned a petrol car for the last 12 years due to my high running. However, as this will be our second car I am more inclined towards petrol than diesel.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:22   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore pricing of the NEW Dzire,

Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-20170518_170218.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th May 2017 at 18:25.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:44   #214
Senior - BHPian

Is there any under body protection on offer? Assuming a softly sprung ride complementing the 163mm ground clearance, it might warrant an underbody protection to handle the urban craters.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 18th May 2017 at 18:46.
Old 18th May 2017, 20:50   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove the newly launched Dzire for a few kilometers. Actually it was a car which was to be delivered to a friend, and he obliged me by letting me drive it from the yard to the showroom, a distance of about 20kms. In return, I also treated it as gently as I could, and not as a TD car. The official test drive vehicles are still in transit.

Some notable points:
  • The ride quality is excellent. Compared to the Baleno 1.2, the suspension felt remarkably composed and pliant, even at the rear. Somehow, I wasn't impressed by the Baleno's suspension.
  • AC is a chiller, and is very efficient. The newly added AC vents are useful only at higher blower speeds though.
  • The NVH is much improved compared to either the Baleno, or the previous Dzire.
  • Absence of Auto-dimming IRVMs is a downer, specially at this price point.
  • Seats are very comfortable, and felt better compared to the previous Dzire. Even the support from the rear seats is decent. It's not completely flat.
  • The rear seats are placed a touch too low. Even then the headroom is lesser when compared to a Baleno.
  • Sheet metal felt sturdier than the Baleno.
  • Illumination of the LED projectors was much better than the Bi-xenon units of the Baleno.
  • The dealer had 352 bookings, and the quoted waiting period was 3-4 weeks for the ZXi+ variant. They have already received around 90 cars.
  • TD cars expected to reach them by the next week.

Brochure and Pricelist
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-20170518_203004.jpg

Better image of the pricelist, OTR Ranchi
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-dp.jpg
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-dd.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 21:46   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Few questions for our experts.

... Would you recommend AMT or manual variant considering 100% drive will only be done in delhi itself with no highways trips.
Thanks.
I would say pick AMT. New Dzire looks better than last gen and it should really be the king of sub-4 sedans. As for AMT, I have driven last gen AMT and also Duster AMT and I find them almost same as torque converter cars, and I have been driving automatics since 2011. In fact they offer better mileage AND pick-up over torque converters. Some posts seen rubbishing AMTs seem exaggerated. The other cool factor about AMT cars is, they have current-gear indication, i.e. D1, D2,D3....and S1,S2,S3...etc unlike most other automatics which just indicate D, leaving you speculating as to which gear you are in.
Old 19th May 2017, 00:16   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

A detailed walkaround video and first drive review:

Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 00:17   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The new Dzire looks horrible in my opinion. The thick chrome surround looks downright gaudy, rivaled only by the new Ertiga.
It is not really horrible as such.But the excess usage of chrome has made it look almost horrible.
If that part was finished in body color, the car would have looked decent enough.

Die-hard MSIL fans will never agree with you or me anyway.
To them, MSIL simply cannot go wrong.
If Dzire's front appears ugly to you, or Ignis' rear end appears ugly to me, the problem is with us.
We are not modern & classy enough to appreciate the quirky and sporty designs that the mighty MSIL churns out every now and then.

Same is the case with most reviewers too.

Right now, none of the auto-journalists or reviewers would give a sincere opinion about this gaudy front end.
In the reviews & video walkarounds, most of them are praising how elegant and classy it looks with all that chrome!
You have to wait for a few years,till the next gen Dzire gets launched, to hear a sincere opinion about this new generation.

Just see how the reviewers are now comparing the outgoing older model, and telling how dis-proportionate and ugly it looked with that awkwardly integrated boot and all.
Though it is a truth, none of these reviewers would have said it in their reviews at the time it got launched a few years ago.

Then there is something called "getting used to" also.
Since it is Dzire, we are going to see hundreds of them daily, and soon it will become so common that gradually you won't notice anything strange or gaudy about its front.
Just like what happened to me with the Ritz's rear-end looks.
So rest assured! Everything is going to be ok soon!
VinodDevil81 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 11:14   #219
BHPian

Getting all the chrome blackened out on the new-generation dzire would surely increase it's appeal.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:28   #220
BHPian

Quick Specification & Price Comparison 👉

Tata Tigor vs. Honda Amaze vs. Maruti Dzire vs. Ford Aspire vs. Hyundai Xcent vs. VW Ameo

Source:
https://images.maxabout.com/misc/inf...n=All+Posts+v3
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-1100.jpg  

manaljain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 12:17   #221
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive of new Dzire Diese Zdi+ Manual.
Thoroughly impressed. Images are from CarHunt.

Here are my observations :

1) Space. Abundance of it. What a stark contrast to second generation Dzire. I do frequent travel in second generation Dzire, and this new car is a much needed positive change. Legroom at front is good, rear is quite improved. I was comfortable despite my heavy frame. Moreover, the rear seat to floor ratio of height is good. Some more under-thigh support would be good, but its much improved overall.

2) Sound insulation. Again a very positive change. My current 2015 Swift and second generation Dzire almost feel one and half generation behind on this parameter. Once you close the door, there is immediate difference on how much external noise filters into cabin. It increases comfort and also ensures a more relaxed feel.

3) Aesthetics. Blue color looks stunning. There was huge rush, so I couldn't take images. But one has to see the car in person to note how much more proportionate the car is. Immediately, the 2nd generation Dzire feels a couple of generations behind the new one specially from rear. That black A-pillar is gone for good. Somehow, the front 3 quarter view reminds me of HM Ambassador. Projector lights look very good, grille is a bit large, but slightly less chrome would do good, but Indians love chrome, dont we ? Well, I might be an exception, but most do like chrome, Maruti did what it had to do for volumes. There is good relief at rear, but somehow, the rear tail lights reminds of Amaze in a way.

4) Front Seats. I always thought that second generation Swift and Dzire had best front seats in business, and the third generation Dizre comfortably beats second generation. Much better side bolstering, and for someone who weighs in at 100 kg with broad shoulders, this is a huge achievement. The front seats are definitely better than my 2015 Swift. Large headrests are comfortable too. All of a sudden, Xcent seats feel a cost cutting measure (I had a grand i10 for 18 months). Nice to see Maruti come up with good seats and avoiding cost cutting here.

5) Driving the diesel with manual transmission. The car barely had 75 kms. on the odo. Car was idling at 950 rpm with AC, and it was time for 2nd gear speed breaker test. There were 3 adults in the car, and the car passed the second gear speed breaker test. No stalling even in 2nd gear at 10 kmph. There was a slight struggle, but it managed. Though response just after than was a bit flat, I never needed to shift into 1st. Just after the speed-breaker, I felt the motor had slight lack of response. There could be anti-stall feature but even if it was there, it wasn't intrusive. Once that slightly lack of response is gone, the power flows in, specially after around 1800-2000 rpm. As there were very little kms. on odo, didnt't push it past approx. 2500 rpm. But post 2000 rpm power was flowing in. The sudden push was missing, but there was a more linear surge. In my 2010 K10 Wagon R CNG, the same speed breaker would need 1st gear even with a single occupant. As compared to my Swift, it was better. My Swift would clear it in 2nd gear with some vibrations, but there wont be any lack of response thereafter.

I was completely comfortable with clutch.

6) Ride. Improved over the previous generation. Stiffness felt at low speeds, but once the speedo climbs, ride got better. I felt the test car had very high tire pressure as smaller irregularities at slow speed were quite harsh. But suspension appeared much more silent than before. A longer test drive would depict a more accurate picture.

7) Steering feel. Lighter than before. As compared to my Swift, the steering was definitely lighter. However, we couldn't cross 60 kmph so I cant comment how it felt at higher speeds. For dense urban traffic, steering felt good. When it was time to take a U-Turn, I couldn't take a larger radius thanks to heavy traffic. While executing the U-Turn, around half of a lock of steering was more than my expectation. Enthusiasts will have a reason to be slightly disappointed. However, my car had a very high tire pressure IMO.

8) A/C. Chiller. In Gujarat's intense heat, the car was parked in the sun. 3 adults sit in, A/C cools cabin to comfortable temperature within 2 mins. or max 3 mins. Rear A/C vents have better throw than the rear AC vents of Xcent. Rear AC vents in Dzire do actually help to improve the comfort levels specially after the car is parked under the sun.

9) Build Quality. Panel gaps were a bit larger than my expectations. But the doors felt sturdier. Not exactly that flimsy. Dashboard felt better built, and switches of power windows had a better feel while operating them. Much better feel than my Swift.

10) Braking. They made me realize how "not-so-good" are the brakes on my Swift VXi. Good feel (no sponginess), easy to modulate. I now feel that my car's brakes are not even half as capable as the motor.

11) Visibility : Dashboard is lower than outgoing car. And the driver's seat height adjustment has a good range, very versatile. If I were to compare it with my Swift VXi, visibility upfront due to lower dashboard was atleast 20% better. Not only does it give better visibility, low dashboard cowl also means cabin felt more roomy. Due to beige interiors, lower dashboard the ambiance in cabin felt improved. Roomy, Airy.

Another point/s.
Padding just driver's door armrest behind the door handle. This is missing/of very poor quality in my car. So during long drives if I put my hand onto it, after a few mins there was irritation in elbow. No such problems on the car I test drove.
Felt the ORVM were smaller. Slightly less vision than my Swift.

Some images from the aforementioned source :
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-boot-space.jpg  

Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-dzire-boot-panel-gap.jpg  

Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-glove-box.jpg  

Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-rear-bumper.jpg  

Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-front-door-panel-gap.jpg  

Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-floor-arc.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th May 2017 at 12:42. Reason: Typo
aaggoswami is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 15:04   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Took a test drive of new Dzire Diese Zdi+ Manual.
Thoroughly impressed.

Here are my observations :
I always thought that moving from one generation Swift to another or to a Dzire is never an upgrade. Reading your comments, I believe that Swift to new Dzire is a good upgrade!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 15:44   #223
BHPian

Just happened to se the new Dzire for the very first time on road. It definitely had the stint of freshness in it which made me do some research after coming back to home. As per a quick research on cardekho, the new Dzire ZDI MT costs 10.11 on road Delhi whereas the Ciaz diesel alpha MT costs 10.73 (less 40k exchange offer making it 10.33 and even some additional dealer level discount if you sit for negotations, and this price is without the handling charges and extended warranty). Now the question arises, why would anyone in their right mind buy a Dzire over a Ciaz in Delhi?

Ciaz being a higher segment car which is superior is each and every way one can imagine. There's a plethora of space, more powerfully retuned engine, projector headlamps and what not.

Doesn't it looks like a confused strategy from Maruti? Just imagine the kind of money they are minting by selling Dzire in Delhi with all those savings from it being <4m car
namanchaudhary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 16:06   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
As per a quick research on cardekho, the new Dzire ZDI MT costs 10.11 on road Delhi whereas the Ciaz diesel alpha MT costs 10.73
Some wrong info there, I guess. It's the zdi+ MT that will cost around 10.1L. Zdi MT will be cheaper by another 90K, around 9.2L
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 16:25   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Now the question arises, why would anyone in their right mind buy a Dzire over a Ciaz in Delhi?

Doesn't it looks like a confused strategy from Maruti? Just imagine the kind of money they are minting by selling Dzire in Delhi with all those savings from it being <4m car
Well said!

Maruti is actually projecting this car as an upgrade to Swift owners, just read few of the above posts and you will see whom actually Maruti is targeting. Its these unsuspecting customers who would now have no chance to check Ciaz on same floor as Dzire, to them this is the aspirational sedan, the next upgrade from hatchbacks. Maruti has and will continue to milk from such customers, now we have to really respect​ Maruti for the way they play their cards and create a frenzy for every new launch. I had already said in April analysis thread about Dzire crossing 1 million rupees and we still have GST impact to be seen in near future.

People, Dzire would look and feel better than current Swift based cars beacuse its a new generation and new generations especially those who are done from grounds up are bound to feel superior. Please take an informed decision. I in no way mean to demean Dzire, if its better car than others, then so be it.

Just my opinion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed