Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2017, 17:03   #226
BANNED

Re: Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Its these unsuspecting customers who would now have no chance to check Ciaz on same floor as Dzire, to them this is the aspirational sedan, the next upgrade from hatchbacks. Maruti has and will continue to milk from such customers, now we have to really respect​ Maruti for the way they play their cards and create a frenzy for every new launch.
Marketing their cars the way they want is Maruti's choice, while buying a car of one's own choice is customer's freedom. Maruti don't stop you going to a nexa showroom and check ciaz. They don't stop you going to a competitor's showroom. They never make you buy their cars forcefully. If you like it, buy it. Or move to other manufacturers' showroom.

Creating a big buzz around new launches is every manufacturer's dream, and if someone fails in it, it's their fault in marketing. If maruti succeeds in it, we can't blame them.

One question: what maruti gains when they sell you a dzire by hiding ciaz? It's also their own car, and is not cheaply priced. The margins from both the cars may be similar. Maruti will be equally happy if they sell 15K ciaz and 10k dzire, instead of 20k dzire and 5k ciaz per month.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 20th May 2017 at 17:17.
romeomidhun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 19:32   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Some wrong info there, I guess. It's the zdi+ MT that will cost around 10.1L. Zdi MT will be cheaper by another 90K, around 9.2L
Sorry I meant the top end diesel MT variants
Old 21st May 2017, 07:46   #228
BHPian

Dear Bhpians, need your expert advice. I've currently booked a Baleno Zeta CVT and waiting for delivery in June. I'm now super confused between the Baleno and the DZire Zxi AMT. I'm not looking at the Zxi+ as I'm sure if it's worth the almost 1.12 lakh premium over the Zxi (OTR).

DZire is a good ₹50,000 cheaper on road in Chennai when compared to the Baleno. The DZire does miss out on some features compared to the Baleno, as in,

1) 16 inch wheels
2) Telescopic steering
3) Electronic anti-glare IRVM
4) Automatic and follow me home head lamps
5) UV cut glass on the windows
6) CVT

The only positives for the DZire apart from being ₹50k cheaper and being a new model would be the increased boot space, the novelty of being a sedan and a marginally better mileage.

CVT and the UV glass are a big pull towards the Baleno, but I'm not sure if in the long term whether the CVT might cost me more on maintenance compared to the AMT.

Should I go with the Baleno or the DZire? Your expert advice will extremely valuable and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2017, 08:23   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
CVT and the UV glass are a big pull towards the Baleno, but I'm not sure if in the long term whether the CVT might cost me more on maintenance compared to the AMT.

Should I go with the Baleno or the DZire? Your expert advice will extremely valuable and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
CVT is the USP of Baleno. And it scores high in terms of Refinement & Efficiency.

Regarding Maintenance, CVT will be more reliable as it doesn't have any complex things. It's just a simple Belt & Pulley Driven Gearbox. We have already seen complaints of AMT from some Celerio owners here.

Despite the slight premium, I will be more happy with CVT rather then AMT.

That said, if Dzire was offered with CVT, I would have favoured it over Baleno due to it being a Sedan & having Airier Cabin.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 10:28   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a chance to check out the all-new DZire yesterday. The local dealership had a white VXi on display, which they had used as their launch vehicle on 18th May.

The first thing that strikes you is that this car is definitely wider than the older-gen DZire, which becomes apparent once you slide into the front passenger seat and the rear seat. Legroom, headroom and shoulder room is aplenty.
The rear seat is set a bit too low for my liking (like the Hyundai Verna), and shorter passengers will definitely feel claustrophobic. Adding to the ambience at the rear are those super-tall and wide front headrests, which cut off any front view for the rear passengers (except for the 5th one who would be sitting in the middle).
Floor hump obtrusion is minimal, and the rear AC vents have a nice range upwards/downwards for the rear passengers to adjust them according to their requirements. But the plastic used for the vents seemed a bit too flimsy and thin for my liking - families with naughty children, take note.
Rear seat feels a bit more laid back than before, which adds to the comfort levels on a standing car. How comfortable it would be on long journeys? Ownership reports will clarify soon, I bet.
Stepped into the front passenger seat and the spaciousness was apparent. The glove box didn't look too deep to be of any real use, and the outward tall design only fools one to believe there is a deep box behind the lid. Plastics are decent, although still far away from Hyundai-esque levels. The wooden insert on the dashboard looks gaudy, and isn't to my taste. Maybe it has mass market appeal, hence Maruti has gone for this. Door panels are reminiscent of the old DZire.
Into the driver's seat, and the flat-bottomed steering is a delight to hold. The steering mounted buttons give adequate feedback and seem like they will last the distance (specially the ones for telephony which need to be pressed from behind).
The instrument binnacle is inspired from the Ignis, in the way the needles point directly at the bottom at the 0 kmph sign. The MID is clear and legible even under daylight. The whole layout of the dash + steering is very driver-friendly. All the controls, contours and storage spaces fall easily into hand. There is a small space below the handbrake for one to store his cellphone or a small diary.
From the outside, the side & rear profiles are definitely signature DZire, if I may say so. It's only when you pay attention to the tail lamp sections, the head lamp sections and the front (bulbous) grille, you realise that this is a new car. The front grille looks quite odd in person too. How I wish they would have gone for a 2/3 slat grille instead, and chopped off those edgy extensions on either side for a more rounded look. Could have made the grille a bit more Maserati-ish.
The rear tail lamp section design is definitely inspired from the Honda Amaze. See them from close quarters and the resemblance is uncanny. The lighting layout inside them is different, though. The LED lights will do their bit to attract the customers.
The boot is fairly deep and can swallow a decent amount of luggage for weekend/long trips. Finally, the DZire gets an usable boot.
All in all, Maruti seems to have ticked all the right boxes to appeal to the mass market customers. This one is destined to be a huge hit in the days to come.
Sorry C1-segment competitors, you will have to be content with staying #2 and below for a long, long while.

"Bulbous" is the first word which comes to mind when you see the front grille for the first time.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image18.jpg

Notice that the central portion of the outer chrome layer is thicker than the rest.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image16.jpg

See the car from the side and the "DZire" profile is immediately evident.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image17.jpg

Neat wheelcap design. Can easily pass off as an alloy from a distance.
No cutting corners here - even the VXi gets Bridgestones!
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image15.jpg

Door panel uses the same plastics as before.
Considering the competition, slightly better quality was required.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image10.jpg

Buttons feel like they will last the distance.
You press the telephony control buttons from behind, not front.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image4.jpg

The meters with the needles pointing directly below.
Reminiscent of some sports cars, and of course, the Ignis.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image5.jpg

When the key is inserted and turned.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image6.jpg

The 2-DIN Head Unit of the V_i variant, and the manual AC controls below.
Also notice the closely placed ABC pedals.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image7.jpg

Useful cup holders ahead of the gear lever.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image8.jpg

Flippy day/night IRVM.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image1.jpg

Passenger-side sun visor gets a vanity mirror without lid.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image2.jpg

Just a ticket-holder for the driver side one.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image3.jpg

These ultra-tall front head rests don't make it any easier for the rear passenger's view of action at the front.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image11.jpg

The rear AC vents have thin plastics. Use these carefully.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image12.jpg

Fairly decent range, either way. There's space to park a cellphone up above them, too. Pairs well with the power outlet socket in front.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image13.jpg

Quite deep and very usable boot. Finally!
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image14.jpg

Keys for the V_i variant are the same as the outgoing-gen car.
Meeting the 2017 Maruti Dzire-image9.jpg

The demo cars have not reached the dealership yet, so they are denying any requests for a TD right now.

First batch is expected to land in the next 2-3 days. My car is in the first lot, according to them.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:19   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
First batch is expected to land in the next 2-3 days. My car is in the first lot, according to them.
Congratulations for new DZire. What are you trading it off with? Hopefully we will get another great ownership review by you. I've not yet seen the new DZire in person. It looks great from some angles and not so great from some in photographs.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:49   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. Which variant are you going for?
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 13:49   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Which variant are you going for?
ZXI+, in Oxford Blue. Details in this post (The "I Booked my Car" Thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
What are you trading it off with? Hopefully we will get another great ownership review by you. I've not yet seen the new DZire in person. It looks great from some angles and not so great from some in photographs.
Not trading any of our existing cars.

I'll try to pen an ownership report if I can. But with plenty of family and job workload plus parents being continuously sick, it might not be possible this time.

I will share photos though, if and when I take delivery.

The DZire looks best from the front one-thirds, rear one-thirds and it's side profile. The rear, despite it's overhaul in design, will still polarise opinions. I, for one, didn't like the thick chrome strip joining the tail lamp sections. The tail lamps, however, when viewed as standalone units, look good.

One more thing I forgot to mention in my post above - fit and finish is quite good for a Maruti, actually. Shut lines between panels are quite tight. There were a few inconsistent gaps around the bonnet lid and the boot lid, but those can be overlooked. Commendable effort by Maruti in this regard.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st May 2017 at 13:58. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 16:28   #234
BHPian

Superb RavenAvi. Your posts have been awesome and your rave reviews of the Dzire surely mean a blockbluster in the making

Given that this will be followed by the Facelifted S-cross, Maruti is set to top the sales charts in 2017 and break more records
Quote:
Thanks, guys.

ZXI+, in Oxford Blue. Details in this post (The "I Booked my Car" Thread).

Commendable effort by Maruti in this regard.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 19:13   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Marketing their cars the way they want is Maruti's choice, while buying a car of one's own choice is customer's freedom. Maruti don't stop you going to a nexa showroom and check ciaz. They don't stop you going to a competitor's showroom. They never make you buy their cars forcefully. If you like it, buy it. Or move to other manufacturers' showroom.
Please calm down - I don't understand why you had to take it to your heart.

I guess nobody is saying Maruti is forcing people to buy Dzire. That comment is valid especially considering that Nexa is not in every town.

Anyway, coming to the car, this car has everything that people who 'generally' buy cars from this segment expect - a boot (of course), lot of space and lot of chrome.
Old 22nd May 2017, 00:33   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Please calm down - I don't understand why you had to take it to your heart.

I guess nobody is saying Maruti is forcing people to buy Dzire. That comment is valid especially considering that Nexa is not in every town
This comment is only for the city of Delhi, where prices of Dzire and Ciaz diesel variant are close due to the VAT exemption Ciaz gets for its SHVS engine, so the difference between top end Ciaz diesel and Dzire diesel is just 50k. For all the other cities in the country, the Ciaz is around 2 lakhs more expensive variant to variant. Delhi obviously has huge number of Nexa dealerships, so no question of customers missing out on any car.

In regards to this car, looked at individually it seems great. But really question the 30k gap between this and Baleno. I don't find anything in this car worth 30k more than Baleno.
autorahul is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:43   #237
BHPian

Self-Deleted price-list. Didn't realize it was posted.

It looks significantly better than the older model. I wonder what happens to the Dzire Tour which is popular with Uber? I haven't seen it in flesh but got a couple calls from dealers to come check it out even though I had not filled any online form or shown any interest.

Last edited by invidious : 22nd May 2017 at 13:46. Reason: Deleting prices already posted
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:14   #238

Front styling reminds me a little bit of the old Honda S2000 Roadster.

To me it looks odd in a Saloon/(Sedan) variant of car, this sort of design is more suited to a sporty vehicle in my humble opinion.

Oh - and all that Chrome in the front makes it look even more horrendous
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:14   #239
Senior - BHPian

Got info from a friend that Dzire press drive event is currently on at Goa
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 22:01   #240
BANNED

Such is the Confidence that Maruti has, its launching and delivering the cars before even the Press drives!
And no doubt it seems like a first class product from what I can see.

A friend of Mine got to sample the ZDi+ and here's his review. Obviously not an auto journalist, but he has the previous DZire and thus he's in a good position to compare the two.

Last edited by agambhandari : 22nd May 2017 at 22:02.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed