Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 07:16   #1
BHPian

Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner

One man's ingenuity / Jugaad leads to this!! Mods did not know where to post this. Please move it to the right place!!

Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-img_1798.jpg

Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-img_1799.jpg

Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-img_1800.jpg
aaren is offline   (123) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner

A class act from Anand Mahindra . Whether it was a massive discount on the Supro, or it was given for free, Mahindra sure fulfilled this man's 'dreams'.

Witty response from him too .

Can't ever imagine the CEOs of Maruti or Hyundai India doing something like this, can you? I don't even think they have a Twitter account and if at all they do, it'll only be for posting press releases like a popat (parrot). Shows that some people just work....and some work, while having a blast doing it. Of course, it helps that Anand's name is on the building too!

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2017 at 11:28.
GTO is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Can't ever imagine the CEOs of Maruti or Hyundai India doing something like this, can you? I don't even think they have a Twitter account and if at all they do, it'll only be for posting press releases like a popat (parrot). Shows that some people just work....and some work, while having a blast doing it. Of course, it helps that Anand's name is on the building too!
I think the difference between Anand Mahindra and the rest of the automotive CEOs is that he is a top notch industrialist besides being the chief of the Mahindra group. He is a typical Thoughtleader and that shows up in each of his tweets irrespective of whether that's on things automotive or Davos. At least I read his tweets regularly since I find a lot of resonance in those over so many others...
Zappo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yup Great PR at a very low cost. Anand Mahindra is definitely a sharp guy.

CEO's of Maruti and Hyundai are professionals and hence are limited by processes/rules unlike a owner/CEO.

However, they do a pretty good job of managing their companies in a very professional manner, and I must say, my experiences with both the brands have taught me the value of having processes in place for everything. It sure beats having to escalate issues to the top dog to get any traction.
Lalvaz is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering - Supro is a rural/semi-urban share taxi type of vehicle. His old autorickshaw was an urban short distance taxi. This dude now has to change his "business model" altogether.

One good option he has - use the Supro to pick up and drop school kids.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th May 2017 at 12:09.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Awesome gesture, am fan of his responses on social media. Have heard many stories of him stepping in and setting things right, from the tweets and emails that he receives.

Great leader and best wishes to him!
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
One good option he has - use the Supro to pick up and drop school kids.
Sell it;
Buy another 3-wheeler;
Modify it as XUV5OO;
Put remaining money in an FD;

Profit!!!

Nonstop-driver is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Just wondering - Supro is a rural/semi-urban share taxi type of vehicle. His old autorickshaw was an urban short distance taxi. This dude now has to change his "business model" altogether.
Mahindra just upgraded his business model, he can now make more money per trip. Every three-wheeler owner aspires to graduate to four wheels.
notjustshrawan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:25   #9
BHPian

Awesome gesture by Mahindra.

ok, i will be the guy to ask it as no one seems to be. Does that guy have a valid 4 wheeler commercial license ?
vamsi2390 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Legal niceties aside, the man will now be very happy. He may have to update/change his business model but that is part of life. Even without Anand Mahindra's largesse, he would have upgraded at some point. When it has happened for free/at nominal cost, he will have very less reason to complain.

OT: Recently, I sighted this auto rickshaw in Bengaluru. Hope Elon Musk takes note of these pictures..
Attached Thumbnails
Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-img_20170424_1719422104x1184.jpg  

Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-img_20170424_1719012104x1184.jpg  

Man mods rickshaw with 'Scorpio' rear - Anand Mahindra makes him a Supro owner-img_20170424_1720102104x1184.jpg  

dailydriver is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 13:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am sure if Mr. Mahindra did give him a four wheeler, he must have made sure it would be helpful to the guy.

What fascinates me is this news was not covered by the mainstream media. So Mr. Mahindra is content with doing a good deed and moving on.

Yes, such a quick response can only be expected from the owner and not from an employee. And quite a mature response.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2017 at 11:22. Reason: small typo
honeybee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 17:43   #12
BHPian

Good thing that CEOs of Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti don't have the same idea.

Imagine the number of cars they would have to give away to the owners of countless extremely accurate replicas.

A Twitter post from them will be like "Giving out a F12 Berlinetta to Babu Rao who got inspired and made this replica with a 3-cyl carb engine!!!!"
thatfastdude19 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:12   #13
BHPian

Well, this reminds me of the age old Rolls Royce story about a wealthy Indian in pre-independence era not being allowed to buy an RR because RR said his status doesn't deserve one. The man apparently bought several RRs later and used them as garbage trucks to protest, which did a lot of bad press for the elite RR. RR later apologized and made him stop using it for plying garbage. I don't know if this story is true.

With Scorpio being marketed as a premium SUV, Mr.Mahindra may have simply wanted to avoid this auto being seen on the roads anymore, with the rear of the Scorpio bolted on to it.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2017 at 11:23. Reason: Typos
veyron_head is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
Good thing that CEOs of Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti don't have the same idea.
They would have to start a whole new line of goods/people carriers that would only be gifted and not sold! Remember, Anand Mahindra didn't give away a Scorpio to this Scorpio fan. Instead, in a very sensible move, he gave a better replacement for the museumed auto - something that would help him earn his livelihood.

Curious to know what could possibly be the Ferrari equivalent of Supro?
dailydriver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:21   #15
BHPian

A good gesture by Mr. Mahindra, will enable the man to earn a better living.

After the exchange, the Mahindra logo and the quotes on the rear glass were removed, guess they didn't want the brand name to be seen on the vehicle.
trek is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed