Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 02:41   #1516
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmanjeet14 View Post
Can someone please enlighten on how to enable steering lock for push button equipped models. I have noticed the steering locking only once or twice but not every time. How do we ensure that steering locks each time after locking the car.
I have S-Cross and Baleno with push button start. The steering gets locked after you switch off the engine and open driver side door.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 22:22   #1517

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Finally!!! My membership is approved after 3 Rejections.
Was dying to announce that I purchased Ford Ecosport Titanium+ AT, a month back (approx).
Well, I am enjoying driving it.
praveennvr is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 00:08   #1518
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally was able to take a TD of the new ECOSPORT TDCI. Gave my Figo for servicing and took a TD of the new EcoSport.

Few days back i took a TD of the Nexon Diesel. This was my view after driving the Nexon- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4301581

Am sharing a comparison on what i felt between the two-

Looks- Though looks are subjective, i found the Ecosport to be a better looker.

Interiors
-
Both the cars have nice interiors. I liked the Nexon's instrument cluster more than the Ecosport.

Space- Both the cars are good for 4 people rather than 5!

On the go-

Ride & handling
- The ride quality of the Nexon felt more plusher than the Ecosport where as the high speed handling of the Ecosport felt slightly better. Though Nexon is equally capable or very close to it. The suspension of the Ecosport is more on the stiffer side. The steering feedback from both the cars are pretty good and precise though they are EPS not HPS.

Engine- In the low end in sports mode the Nexon fares better than the Ecosport. The low end grunt with the 260NM torque was evident in the Nexon. Where as on the higher revs the Nexon engine gets a bit buzzy where as the Ecosport revs freely till 5000rpm. The 6th cog of the Nexon takes care of the high rev buzz the engine produces. It was cruising in higher speed in lesser rpm. I missed the 6th cog of the Nexon in the Ecosport. Though at the end both the cars fared really well on the open roads. Exceeding 120km/hr was like a piece of cake for both the cars.

Gear shift- - The gear shifting in Ecosport felt better than the Nexon. Slotting the reverse gear in Nexon needed an extra effort than what i would have liked, plus slotting of the 5th gear felt a bit tricky/hard on a couple of occasions. Though it may be limited to the test drive vehicle i drove. The Ecosport had no such issues, the gear shifting was smooth.

NVH- Ecosport fares better in this department.

Brakes
- Both the cars have excellent brakes.

Its tough to choose one among Nexon and Ecosport. The power of the Nexon cant be ignored. Its best in the segment backed up by great handling, excellent interiors & ride quality but the 1.5L engine from TATA is not yet time tested and we do not know how well the car will age. On the other hand the Ecosport is now a time tested product and a hit in the market.

Few pics from the Ecosport Test drive-
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_7687.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_7688.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_7689.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_7690.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_7691.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_7692.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 01:57.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 00:43   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveennvr View Post
Was dying to announce that I purchased Ford Ecosport Titanium+ AT, a month back (approx).
Hi praveennvr, welcome to the forum and congrats for getting one of the best compact SUV in the market. Do post some pictures of your hot ride!! Happy motoring
Old 16th December 2017, 01:20   #1520
BHPian

Great review. Nexon seems to be a great horse from TATA's stable, but keeping in mind, after sales of tata in comparison to ford,I would keep ES ahead of Nexon. Sometimes loosing a battle is better to have a peace of mind.
Sayata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 01:37   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have S-Cross and Baleno with push button start. The steering gets locked after you switch off the engine and open driver side door.
This does not seems to be the case with Ecosport. The car is supposed to steering lock automatically few seconds after locking. However, this rarely happens. I can tell this because if the steering locks, it unlocks only when the push button start is pressed, and this scenario rarely happens. Even the service center people in my city have no clue on operation of steering lock. I am hoping someone on this forum can guide me on proper operation of steering lock in Ecosport.
Old 16th December 2017, 06:21   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Though I couldn't find a better photo of the new Tdci engine bay. It seems that their is indeed a change in the Air intake plumbing. Am I still missing something?
I had shared this pic on this very thread a few days back. The plumbing looks the same except that the shape of some components like air box is slightly different now. And the pipes look better aligned as the battery has also changed position now.

I should have worded it better. Say "very similar" instead of "same". Guess my perspective changed slightly when your post had Dragon as the TDCi.

Quote:
Hi all,
Can someone please enlighten on how to enable steering lock for push button equipped models. I have noticed the steering locking only once or twice but not every time. How do we ensure that steering locks each time after locking the car.
The steering locks when the door is locked. You really cannot miss the high pitch noise it makes.

Quote:
I can tell this because if the steering locks, it unlocks only when the push button start is pressed, and this scenario rarely happens.
And unlocks when the driver side door is opened. It happens simultaneously. Again, cannot miss that screech. Its a bit disconcerting.

If you unlock the car and enter through the passenger door without opening the driver side door, you can hear the lock after a few seconds.

Again, this is based on my experience with the Fiesta. Not sure if something has changed as the new EcoSport gets dedicated lock/ unlock button on each front door. The locking pattern should however be the same.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 07:42   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveennvr View Post
Congratulations! Eagerly waiting for your ownership experience so far ! Have you taken it out on highway runs yet? Sufficient power on tap on the highway?
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 22:12   #1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Congratulations! Eagerly waiting for your ownership experience so far ! Have you taken it out on highway runs yet? Sufficient power on tap on the highway?
Yes. I took delivery of the beast on 27th November. Went for long drive on 3 Occassions.

The first time, I went to Nandi Hills (approx 130 KMS round trip from home in Bengaluru). Well, the cornering and hill control were excellent. I drove, was able to stop in the inclined position without any inconvenience (didn't have to maintain on clutch). The car never rolled back even after 10 seconds of leaving the breaks. It was a fun ride.

The second time, went on round trip to Mysuru (approx 370 kms from my home). Toward journey was smooth without any traffic but during return journey, had to dirve in bumper to bumper traffic from Mysore road till home because of accident in mysore road and later, city traffic. So approx 100kms was driven in heavy traffic. My MID showed 9.X kms milage. Was concerned about the milage, but later I realised that I have to reset the readings.

The third time, went to Anantapur (approx 550 kms from my home). This time I reset the MID Readings near Bengaluru Airport. So, at the end of the drive, which is approx 80% on highway and 20% in city traffic, my MID showed 15.X milage (May be because of the V-Power petrol from Shell fuel station?). Attaching the pic.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-screen-shot-20171217-9.47.55-pm.png

Pros:
1.) It has stronger body than many cars in the segment and design dynamics are better. Front Chrome looks good on the smoke grey.
2.) Headlights are one of the best. I was signalled in the city traffic to turn down to dim, one cab driver even shouted at me, but I felt like a boss because no one cared about me when I was driving my old hatchback.
3.) Felt like people in the back seat are more safer (than in Hexa, though I don't want to start a debate here) because the back mounted tyre can reduce the impact.
4.) 8 inch central console is the best, but hated Apple Car Play (they should have allowed Google maps or atleast any one navigation app).
5.) Safety is bigger advantage, because of the 6 air bags and strength of the outer body metal. During impact, the body should ABSORB the energy rather than Transmit it. Thicker the body, greater the energy it absorbs. I believe Ecosport's body is thicker, but second to Skoda Rapid in that price range. (I didn't go for Skoda due to personal reasons). So, I feel Ford Ecosport is safer than what others are saying otherwise in this thread (again, I don't want to start a debate here). I think NCPA knows better about this energy absorption thing, and physics in general.

Cons:
1.) Driver hand rest is pretty useless. If ford extends it, they might have to compromise on the cup holders. They should have given a sliding hand rest. Even if I try to stretch my arm and put it on the hand rest, I will end up blocking the AC to the backseats.
2.) MID is not upto expectation. it feels inferior.

Finally: Attaching some pics at hand (will post other pics in future).

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-screen-shot-20171217-9.48.17-pm.png

Name:  Screen Shot 20171217 at 9.48.32 PM.png
Views: 4331
Size:  541.1 KB
praveennvr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 07:53   #1525
BHPian

Thank you, for sharing your experience! The car does look very nice in grey - the shade seems to be a little different from the one offered earlier on the pre-facelift EcoSport?

How did you find the power on your long distance drives? Did you also get to use the Sports mode?
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 11:32   #1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
the shade seems to be a little different from the one offered earlier on the pre-facelift EcoSport?

How did you find the power on your long distance drives? Did you also get to use the Sports mode?
I think Facelift version is little darker in Smoke Grey, but that's just my opinion.

There is no complaint on the power. It is excellent. I can feel the auto gear shifts, while maintaining consistent speed at 80.
And yes, I used the sports model but for short time (need to practice more). When I drove in S mode, the gear upshifted automatically (which is contrary to what manual/others say.). Also I had hard time adjusting to Cruise Control (it is little confusing because I used different kind of Cruise Control setup).
Old 18th December 2017, 13:36   #1527
BHPian

So is it official that the new Ecosport doesn't get speed sensing auto door lock??
It may not be a deal breaker but it's good to know and settle this confusion.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 18th December 2017 at 13:37.
Old 18th December 2017, 15:51   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
So is it official that the new Ecosport doesn't get speed sensing auto door lock??
I guess we can conclude that the facelift version doesn't have the speed sensing auto door lock, or probably some manufacturing fault?! Sadly the SA still insists that it has but needs to verify with Ford.
Old 18th December 2017, 17:21   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Yes, new ecosport does not have auto door lock.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2017 at 10:55. Reason: typo
Old 18th December 2017, 18:24   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapollohelios View Post
I guess we can conclude that the facelift version doesn't have the speed sensing auto door lock, or probably some manufacturing fault?! Sadly the SA still insists that it has but needs to verify with Ford.

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-screenshot_20171218182044739.jpeg

Hey Ford India says you have to lock the car manually, no auto door lock
Dramitn is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed