Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 18:12   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Friends,

Need some thoughts and advise. Just got a call from ford dealer in Bangalore that my car is allocated today for Titanium+ Diesel Lightning blue
Am surprised how and why they said it so late just before end of the year.

Am confused now whether should i take this 2017 model car this year just in last week of 2017 with current price or wait till 2018 model and take it delivery in end of Jan with increased cost, as most of the manufacturers announced 3 to 4% hike in Jan.

Thoughts?

-Ravi
Old 22nd December 2017, 18:50   #1562
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Am confused now whether should i take this 2017 model car this year just in last week of 2017 with current price or wait till 2018 model and take it delivery in end of Jan with increased cost, as most of the manufacturers announced 3 to 4% hike in Jan.
You can always get the best of both worlds by paying now and asking the dealer to register the car only in Jan.

Else, you can wait until Jan and then pay. Ford hasn't yet announced a price hike. If you do buy the car now; you should instead ask for some freebies as this is the year end and dealer would want to clear some 2017-manufactured stock.

A thorough PDI in any case is a must. Carry the Team-BHP PDI checklist along.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:11   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Registering in Jan won't fool the resale buyer. There is a reason why companies offer discounts for December models even in next March.

You should either ask for discounts, or wait for next allotment made in next year if you want to save resale value. Else buy it and forget the impact on resale value down the years.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:38   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Registering in Jan won't fool the resale buyer. There is a reason why companies offer discounts for December models even in next March.

You should either ask for discounts, or wait for next allotment made in next year if you want to save resale value. Else buy it and forget the impact on resale value down the years.
Yes, i was thiking of same because registration is not a critical thing. Car condition, ODO reading and year of manufactures matters during resale. If the car wasn't alloted, i wouldn't have had a choice and will get 2018 model but with new price as on sale date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You can always get the best of both worlds by paying now and asking the dealer to register the car only in Jan.

Else, you can wait until Jan and then pay. Ford hasn't yet announced a price hike. If you do buy the car now; you should instead ask for some freebies as this is the year end and dealer would want to clear some 2017-manufactured stock.

A thorough PDI in any case is a must. Carry the Team-BHP PDI checklist along.
IIRC I read in newspaper few days ago and below Economic Times link mentions the same about upcoming price hike. I would want to recheck directly with Ford though.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62022331.cms

Since the car is not yet reached Dealer and expected to arrive next week, i will have to do thorough PDI when it is available and then make balance payment and complete other formalities including registration only next year as i am out of station next week for holidays.

-Ravi
Old 23rd December 2017, 10:09   #1565
BHPian

Does anyone know what Ford has changed in the suspension for Ecosport - Is it shocks or springs or both?

Planning to pick up a Titanium or Titanium+ and downsize the wheels to 205/65 R15. So would i be better off with the earlier suspension set up - in which case i will have try negotiating for a swap of the suspension parts. Dont want to end up with too soft of a set up with the downsizing

Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 17:33   #1566
BHPian

Took a test drive of Ford Ecosport Titatnium+ AT again today. Booked my Ecosport (Lightning Blue) in November with the condition that I want 2018 manufactured car. My SA told me that he expects my car to be allotted in early Jan with delivery in early Feb.

Talking about the test drive, this was a slightly longish test drive.

=> Positives:
1. Did not experience stutter and vibration when I started the car
2. NVH was excellent
3. Steering is light and it's a breeze to operate the car with one hand
4. I am 5.8" and I did not find much of a problem keeping my left foot on the dead pedal. I have a long foot, as big as my brothers who is 5.11"
5. Drove in D mode. The moment you put the car in D mode it automatically starts moving forward without any acceleration input. I was driving mainly on a road which had lot of traffic today and found it super convenient to drive as the car continued to move forward with little acceleration input. On a slightly empty road I pressed the accelerator and the car picked up speed in a linear fashion. Didn't feel any jerks or hesitation
6. Touchscreen is large and visibility is perfect even in bright sunlight. It's again a boon while reversing the car
7. AC was effective. Car was baking in Sun and once we started travelling, within a minute or two the temperature inside the car was pretty cool

=> Negatives:
1. Switched On the Radio and I found music quality to be average. For some reason I was a bit disappointed - Anyone has upgraded their speakers, please let me know
2. My friend sitting in the back seat could feel road bumps a bit. I am not sure if after first service it will get more comfy
3. Arm rest is short. My hand was resting on the edge of it so like most have mentioned, would have preferred a sliding arm rest

Couple of questions on driving if someone could guide. I have never driven automatic before so asked my SA sitting along for the right way to drive
1. He mentioned that on ghats or steep incline I can continue to drive in D mode as S mode is only for over taking. I thought one should use S mode on steep incline along with Paddle shifts to drive in lower gear
2. I asked him if at signals I should put the gear in N and pull the hand break. He said I should move the gear to P and not worry about pulling up the hand break

So what is the purpose of N mode and hand break? Kindly advise

Last edited by damager21 : 24th December 2017 at 17:37.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 19:14   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
2. I asked him if at signals I should put the gear in N and pull the hand break. He said I should move the gear to P and not worry about pulling up the hand break

Inputs based on my experience of driving i10 AT (Torque Converter) unit - Purpose of 'N' mode - This is similar to putting vehicle in Neutral. At signals, you can put vehicle in N and keep the brake pressed (to avoid rollback). There is no need of hand break even if you are on incline. i10 AT unit holds the vehicle for few seconds and does not rollback and this is sufficient to press the accelerator and move ahead.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 21:03   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
He mentioned that on ghats or steep incline I can continue to drive in D mode as S mode is only for over taking. I thought one should use S mode on steep incline along with Paddle shifts to drive in lower gear
You can drive the car easily in 'D' mode in pretty much any situation. I've driven it on moderately steep hill climbs and in sudden overtaking situations and the 'D' mode has been able to handle everything I threw at it without any drama. During hill climbs, in particular, I found that the automatic gearbox was doing a better job of handling the curves and staying in the right gear than I was able to in 'S' mode, and I'm a pretty seasoned driver of the stick shift on the hills.

If you need a sudden burst of power, step hard on the accelerator and the car will shift down and give you the grunt you're after. You can also pull up the Down paddle shifter and the transmission will shift to a lower gear for a few seconds (even in 'D' mode), so you can accelerate your way out of any situation. And even these methods are not required, because you can usually just accelerate smoothly and predictably during overtaking manoeuvres without having to employ either of them.

Quote:

So what is the purpose of N mode and hand break?
The only purpose of the Neutral mode that I can fathom is to have the car keep the electronics turned on even after opening the driver's side door, and to give you a convenient place to park the gear lever without having to taking it all the way up to 'P' when stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Even for the latter situation, I usually prefer to put it in 'P', because that engages the brake as well, ensuring that the car does not unintentionally start rolling if the road has a slight slope.

Last edited by aryayush : 24th December 2017 at 21:04.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 21:33   #1569
BHPian

Quote:

I believe it is there if you need to tow the vehicle. In P mode the car won't move. Likewise D and S cannot be used in towing situations.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 10:14   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

The only purpose of the Neutral mode that I can fathom is to have the car keep the electronics turned on even after opening the driver's side door, and to give you a convenient place to park the gear lever without having to taking it all the way up to 'P' when stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Even for the latter situation, I usually prefer to put it in 'P', because that engages the brake as well, ensuring that the car does not unintentionally start rolling if the road has a slight slope.
P mode would engage the parking pin of the transmission, and henceforth the car won’t move, so no need to apply brake or hand brake but please understand this is neither convenient nor advisable in stop and go traffic. A simple reason dictates this, that says if someone were to back end your car, the parking pin would break resulting in a very expensive transmission repair, neutral on the other hand mixed with either hand brake or foot brake wouldn’t touch the transmission at all. Parking mode is strictly for parking.
So I generally put the car in neutral in stop and go traffic.
blurust is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 10:25   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
A simple reason dictates this, that says if someone were to back end your car, the parking pin would break resulting in a very expensive transmission repair, neutral on the other hand mixed with either hand brake or foot brake wouldn’t touch the transmission at all.
+1

A very close friend of mine learnt that the hard way when an Innova rear ended his i10 AT while he was sitting at a red light with the car in P.
At first, he thought it’d just be a cosmetic repair job, but it turned out to be quite an expensive insurance claim in the end.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 00:00   #1572

Had a really bad experience yesterday evening. Was coming back home from shopping and suddenly noticed the TPMS showing loss of pressure in the rear left Tyre. Was in the signal and immediately moved to the corner of the road. The Tyre pressure dropped very fast. Changed the Tyres and went to a puncture shop to get the Tyre inspected.

I thought that it must be a issue with the mouth since the pressure dropped too fast. Also I couldn't see any nails when I checked during Tyre changing. To my utter dismay, there was a big cut in the Tyre near the alloy rim. The Tyre guy said that the Tyre should be replaced or we should use a tube to use the same Tyre. Was shell shocked and disappointed to say the least. The Tyre guy also said that it appears to be a case of manufacturing defect since there was no damage to the Alloys which was very near to the place where the cut was.

Called up the SA and he asked me to drop in the next day. Went there today morning and the service center guys were really understanding. They too agreed that the damage appears to be due to manufacturing defect. Mine is the titanium plus and thus came with bridgestone ecopia 17 inch ones. They replaced the tyre and have lodged an complaint with bridgestone. However, if the inspection guy says that it's due to external factors, I would end up paying for the Tyre. It costs a whopping 9k including GST.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Few observations : TPMS does not give accurate readings and hence even the manual says that it's only indicative.

The Tyres as we know is a low profile one and is hence bound to get damaged easily and is also expensive in comparison to the smaller size ones.

What is the alternate Tyre size since I couldn't find too many options in 205/50 17.

Attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_20171225_124817.jpg  

Mad4bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 12:02   #1573
BHPian

Dear All,

I am on the look out for my new steed. I have zeroed down on couple of cars based on my requirements. Following are the same:

1. SUVish body type is high on preference but not mandatory considering in Faridabad there is a problem of water logging during monsoons.
2. Daily running 80KMS - Office commute - Faridabad to Noida and back. Annual running minimum will be 20,000 KMS.
3. Weekend Occasional trips will be there with family.
4. Will be driven 90% alone because of office commute.
5. Looking only for Diesel.
6. Should AT be high on preference? But based on my research SUVish AT options are limited and outside my budget. Hence Verna under consideration.
7. Comfortable Budget - 11-12 Lacs OTR. Stretched Budget - approx 14Lacs OTR Faridabad.
8. Options under consideration with prices OTR Faridabad are as below:

a. Ecosport Diesel Titanium - 11.24 Lacs
b. Ecosport Diesel Titanium+ - 12.4 Lacs
b. Creta 1.4 Diesel (3 trims: E, S, S+) varies from 11.22, 12.4, 13.8 Lacs OTR (Not sure which is more fun to drive - Creta 1.4 or ES Diesel)?
c. Creta 1.6 SX Diesel - 14.18 Lacs
d. Verna 1.6 EX Diesel AT - 13.30 Lacs
e. Verna 1.6 SX+ Diesel AT - 14.6 Lacs
f. Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel (top end) - 10.5 Lacs.
g. Captur RxE (base diesel) - 13.33 Lacs (Comes with all necessary equipment)

S-Cross not considered due to 1.3 litre engine.
Creta Diesel AT are out of budget hence not under consideration.
Vento/Rapid not considered due to unreliability and high maintenance costs.
Test drove all cars except Nexon and Verna.

Experts please advice and suggest any other options. Planning to buy in January 2018.

Last edited by SpoiledBratt : 26th December 2017 at 12:04.
Old 26th December 2017, 12:11   #1574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
I am on the look out for my new steed. I have zeroed down on couple of cars based on my requirements. Following are the same:

Planning to buy in January 2018.
90% of the time driven alone – get the Ecosport Diesel Titanium+. Good to drive, got all the safety features including airbags all around and ESC.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 12:11   #1575
Senior - BHPian

A daily running of 80kms in NCR warrants a diesel and an automatic. Just stretch a bit and get an automatic, your left foot will love you for that.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed