Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 23:21   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

I have a feeling that the 1.0 Ecoboost might not make it to the facelifted version. What is the point keeping two engines producing about the same power? The earlier 1.5L produced lesser power than the Eco boost. This could be more like a cost saving exercise.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 23:31   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayram.r View Post
Hi, is the current gen model a good buy in these phase out discount schemes?
It is. Other than the new touch screen unit there is hardly any significant change in terms of exterior design, interiors or features. And that touch screen unit from the pictures looks like a misfit to me and doesn't really gel with the rest of the cabin. I bought 2 Ecosports ( one for myself and one for my sister in law) this year precisely since there wasn't much happening with the facelift to make me wait for it. I don't see any harm if you get a good deal on the current stock.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 23:55   #393
BHPian

I wonder why they couldn't pair the ecoboost with AT and still save on GST and pass on the benefits to consumers. A 1.5 on petrol will add 10% to the cost like current scenario and put stress on Ford to price the new version. Repositioning of ecoboost can give a decent cushion to price it close to Brezza and still sell five thousand copies a month.
hondacity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 11:05   #394
Senior - BHPian

I drove a Zoomcar ecosport diesel for 100kms yesterday. It was a new car with only 1800kms done. Some observations:

1. Amazing quality all around
2. The curved ORVMs ensured no blind spots
3. Reversing is headache due to high tear glass. Couldn't see a scooter parked behind the car while reversing.
4. The bonnet not being visible made me feel I am driving a regular car!
6. 5th gear was mostly for cruising, had to come down to 4 for overtaking
7. The car handled rough roads normally. I expected it to be much better handler of potholes, but felt it was same as any other hatchback. Only saving grace is the large ground clearance.

I am eyeing Ecosport AT, but now looking at Brezza AMT due in Jan Feb. I read that it handles bad roads very well. Does anyone have any experience on both these cars in regards of handling bad roads?
Old 19th October 2017, 12:46   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
I wonder why they couldn't pair the ecoboost with AT and still save on GST and pass on the benefits to consumers. A 1.5 on petrol will add 10% to the cost like current scenario and put stress on Ford to price the new version. Repositioning of ecoboost can give a decent cushion to price it close to Brezza and still sell five thousand copies a month.
I believe the 6-speed Dual Clutch DCT Box Ford uses in the Ecosport AT cannot handle the high torque generated by the Ecoboost engine. The engine generates 170NM as against 140NM generated by the 1.5 VCT petrol engine on the Auto version. With the new Dragon petrol engine that generates 150 NM, it may be possible to pair it with the DCT transmission. You may then have an ideal product that makes as much horsepower as the Ecoboost (123 HP), is less expensive to make and maintain than a turbocharged engine and yet having a nice 6 speed dual clutch auto transmission.

Ford has an opportunity to bring its cutting edge DCT dual clutch Auto technology to the masses by making it available with at least the Trend versions of the new Ecosport at a reasonable price and not reserving it to the Titanium version alone.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th October 2017 at 12:48.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:40   #396
BHPian

Well then having ecoboost sell parallel to dragon engine makes no sense. It will confuse many first time buyers and also few informed buyers knowing the almost same output engines costing a lac more aren't worth it now that dragon series is fresh off the block and ecoboost has started to age.
Old 21st October 2017, 12:03   #397
BHPian

Some more exciting and substantial news to share:

Harpreet Ford in New Delhi has opened New Ecosport pre-booking and as far as I understand, yours truly is the first one to book the ride. I have booked the top-end Dragon automatic, the sales advisor himself had little clue about exact model details, so whatever mentioned on the booking slip is my understanding of variants, and me coaxing him to write Dragon in brackets in the end.

Some are leaving tomorrow/day after for their training and we should get more details next week. I will of course share that here as and when I get them.

Meanwhile, I hope to get one of the earlier deliveries of the car in Mid-November, fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-img_0279.jpg  

Vish_Janu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 14:54   #398
BHPian

Don't you guys feel that there's a small advantage to buying it in January and getting a car manufactured in 2018?
Old 21st October 2017, 15:18   #399
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Don't you guys feel that there's a small advantage to buying it in January and getting a car manufactured in 2018?
Yes, there definitely is. Considering that the model is just launched and it is unlikely that you will get any discounts, 2018 model will fetch you 3-5 pc higher resale value. And the way the things are going, you are unlikely to get delivery before 15 nov anyway, so wait out a few weeks before booking if not in a hurry.
Old 21st October 2017, 16:31   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
I believe to get a vehicle manufactured in 2018, one needs to wait at least 20 days of January, you definitely won't get it in the first half of the month. and I wasn't in the mood to wait for 2 more months to get it.

Yeah, it may affect my re-sale value by 5k-10k later, but that is a hit I'm willing to take then.
Vish_Janu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 17:15   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish_Janu View Post
I believe to get a vehicle manufactured in 2018, one needs to wait at least 20 days of January, you definitely won't get it in the first half of the month. and I wasn't in the mood to wait for 2 more months to get it.

Yeah, it may affect my re-sale value by 5k-10k later, but that is a hit I'm willing to take then.
I think its a smart decision to book the car now. Anyways post launch you can always change your decision and there could be few scenarios:
1. Ford launches Ecosport on 9th November with immediate deliveries. Since you are the first buyer, you will get your car in November itself
2. Ford launches Ecosport on 9th November and starts deliveries from mid-December. In this case you can always insist on allotting a 2018 manufactured car
3. Ford launches Ecosport on 9th November and themselves decide to start deliveries from Jan. Less likely, though if this happens, you still become the first one to get your car

Booking now, gives you an advantage over others so you still get time and power to change your delivery cycle with the dealer. Also don't forget that Ford is still manufacturing old Ecosport this month and shipping it to dealers. So it is quite likely that they will start manufacturing new version only from next month.

I am just waiting for media reviews to be out on 1st October before taking a decision
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 17:26   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish_Janu View Post
...sales advisor himself had little clue about exact model details...
On a side note, person working in a sales franchise in the National capital knows the best seller vehicle in his company as ecosport's' and not ecosport
And as particular as Ford is wrt. pronunciation of its vehicle as 'echosport' rather than 'eecosport', these guys take it to a whole new level.
This is the same with most of these agents
Old 21st October 2017, 18:32   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Booking now, gives you an advantage over others so you still get time and power to change your delivery cycle with the dealer. Also don't forget that Ford is still manufacturing old Ecosport this month and shipping it to dealers. So it is quite likely that they will start manufacturing new version only from next month.
You make it sound as if you expect the Ecosport to replicate the success it enjoyed at the time of launch of the current variant. I highly doubt it. I don't see customers lining up and waiting for months to lay their hands on the vehicle now. Yes it still sells in decent numbers but is no longer a chart buster like the recent MSIL launches where the waiting period is extending into months.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 18:36   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also don't forget that Ford is still manufacturing old Ecosport this month and shipping it to dealers. So it is quite likely that they will start manufacturing new version only from next month.

I am just waiting for media reviews to be out on 1st October before taking a decision
I was told the other way in Bangalore. Ford already stopped manufacturing old models and the dealers have not received their stock in October AFAIK. This allows the dealers and gives space & time to clear the outgoing model stock in November and December and yea, naturally year end discounts and outgoing model discounts can be expected.
As you saw in my previous post, ford is in final stages of completing the dealer training as preparatory work before facelift launch. But for now, I will still keep Nov 9th date as "yet another date" came from media because we were told multiple dates as well in last 2 months starting from Sept 15th.

I really hope its matter of couple of weeks.
Fingers crossed anyway !

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st October 2017 at 18:38.
Old 21st October 2017, 22:25   #405
VR4
BHPian

Quote:
I think its a smart decision to book the car now. Anyways post launch you can always change your decision and there could be few scenarios:
1. Ford launches Ecosport on 9th November with immediate deliveries. Since you are the first buyer, you will get your car in November itself
2. Ford launches Ecosport on 9th November and starts deliveries from mid-December. In this case you can always insist on allotting a 2018 manufactured car
3. Ford launches Ecosport on 9th November and themselves decide to start deliveries from Jan. Less likely, though if this happens, you still become the first one to get your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You make it sound as if you expect the Ecosport to replicate the success it enjoyed at the time of launch of the current variant. I highly doubt it. I don't see customers lining up and waiting for months to lay their hands on the vehicle now. Yes it still sells in decent numbers but is no longer a chart buster like the recent MSIL launches where the waiting period is extending into months.
I am told that the deliveries would start in November itself. Agree with drmohitg, although not completely. Customers would line up to check out the vehicle, especially those who have been planning to upgrade or planning another vehicle and would not like to wait for a couple of months, but having said that with the new year around the corner they might end up waiting. The mindset being, "having waited so long might as well wait a couple of more months and get a 2018 registered vehicle".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed