Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 13:45   #1051
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

I’m another buyer who was completely sold on the S-Cross and was eagerly waiting for Suzuki to offer it in petrol automatic guise, but that never panned out. My only major complaint with the EcoSport is that it is a sub-4 metre vehicle, which is a fundamentally compromised size.

However, once it was clear that the S-Cross would not work for me, I set my sights on the EcoSport, and waited a few months to buy the facelift. I had not imagined that Ford would create a car that was such a perfect fit for me, and I am now glad Suzuki did not release a petrol automatic, which led me to the EcoSport.

With the EcoSport, you get a far safer car than the S-Cross, both in terms of build quality and active and passive safety tech. You also get a car with better driving characteristics, higher ground clearance and one that is absolutely loaded with features. The SUV-ish looks are also well done, unlike the garish designs of the KUV100, Nexon or WR-V.

I am surprised by the people saying that the EcoSport has gotten expensive. Has it, really? The prices have not changed by a single rupee from what they were before the facelift. The only trim that is relatively expensive is the Titanium+ AT, which did not exist before.

If you think it is too expensive, you still have the Trend+ AT you can look at. It is priced very competitively (under ₹9.5 lac ex-showroom for a vehicle with a torque converter AT, a ridiculous amount of safety tech and that exceptional ICE with touchscreen) and has nothing that it can even remotely be compared with.

I am extremely glad that Ford threw caution to the wind and gave us the fully loaded automatic car we were clamouring for, while still keeping the rest of the variants priced the same. Why do you have a problem with the fact that an expensive, no-compromise car exists at all? You are free to not buy it, but why deprive the rest of us the option to do so?

I challenge you to find me another safe, feature laden automatic vehicle with leather seats and projector headlamps and paddle shifters, et al at any price under ₹15 lac ex-showroom, and then we’ll have a discussion about the EcoSport’s worth. It is a trim that has no competition whatsoever.

If Ford is charging a ₹50,000 premium on it, I think it is justified. And I hope it succeeds, so other manufacturers start offering it as an option too.

------------------------------------

If I was in the market for a diesel car, even I would have S-Cross on my shortlist. If you think it works better for you, by all means, go for it. Isn’t it obvious that no one car will be the right fit for everyone?

If you absolutely must have 200mm of ground clearance, clearly the S-Cross won’t work for you, and if you prefer S-Cross’s rear seat over everything the EcoSport has to offer, remove the latter from your consideration.

They are both excellent vehicles. (And so is the Nexon, if you can stomach that design.)

------------------------------------

I am thinking of getting the following accessories from Ford for my Titanium+ AT:
  • Air Deflectors: ₹3,750
  • Engine Guard: ₹8,200
  • Illuminated Scuff Plates: ₹5,150
  • Mudflap Kit: ₹900
  • Rear Spoiler: ₹5,500
  • Roof Cross Bar: ₹7,100
  • Sun Blinds: ₹3,500
The total comes to ₹34,100, and this is not including the RD auto window closer and 3D floor mats I also plan to install. It will end up costing me upwards of ₹40,000 in all, which is beyond my budget.

I need advice from you guys. Which accessories do you recommend I remove from my list, and for what reason?

Last edited by aryayush : 13th November 2017 at 13:52.
aryayush is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:45   #1052
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

I am in the market for a new car and looking at Scross, Ecosport, Vitara Brezza, Nexon, WRV and Creta as options. One thing that bothers me apart from car features and cost is the sustainability of the brand. I want to keep the car for at least 10 years and not sure if Ford will be still selling the cars in India after 5 years. What if they go GM way and close the shop. I may find it difficult to service my car. I know company is mandated to provide service even after shutting down but ground reality can be different.
Old 13th November 2017, 13:53   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post
Hi -Did anyone got Quote from Chennai ford on any of the variants 1.5L Diesel Trend + or Titanium?
Yes, I did visit their Arumbakkam showroom yesterday and did a TD of Titanium + AT variant. Here is the price list.

I wanted the following:

1. Safety - More than 2 airbags
2. Automatic Transmission (strictly no to AMT)
3. Must be FTD (driver's car). Can compromise on FE.
4. SUV body type preferred (I also kept hatchbacks in the list)
5. Great seating comfort for long drives (both front and rear seats)
6. Good GC for Chennai roads
7. Good ride / handling ability / no body roll
8. Great infotainment system with Carplay / Speaker set up
9. Budget around 12L
10. Fuel type - Anything as long as I could get AT. Though Diesel would be better for resale.
11. Strictly No to Tata / Mahindra (purely based on ownership experiences from my friends and nothing else)

I kept comparing VW Polo GT TSI, Punto, Vitarra, Creta, S-Cross, Duster, Jazz CVT, City CVT, though these did not tick some of the items from my list. Now the Ecosport 2017 facelift seems to be checking all the items above except the budget aspect). I can settle for Trend +. But knowing me, I think it is better to go for Titanium +.

Experience yesterday:

The dealership was quite busy as many people walked in to see the Ecosport and the car was continuously going for the TD. Guess, Ford nailed it this time. The SA patiently answered all my queries though I had answers for many already :-). The person frankly admitted that Ford is surviving today only because of Ecosport as no other models are moving that much. Fortunately, they had the AT version for the TD and I could get it without waiting.

I really liked the way it drove. In spite of being a 3 cylinder, it was vibration free (it vibrated a bit only during start up and shutdown). AT is smooth and a bit sluggish when the you needed that 'urge' to overtake. Regarding the FE figure, SA said it would be around 8-9 kmpl. This worries me a bit. At least 10-11 will be great to have.

Sync 3 8.0 touch screen is quite impressive. However, the SA could not confirm if Google maps would work if I connect my iPhone. Rear camera quality was not so good. May be it was drizzling and the car was not clean. The marker lines were not adaptive and they remain straight lines only irrespective of steering position. Seats were definitely good and received full marks from my wifey who sat in the rear seat. Currently I have a Jazz VX-MT and am looking to upgrade to AT so that my back will thank me during the B2B office commute.

PS: SA also said the Cruise comes only in the Diesel variant Titatinum +. I think She is not correct.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-screen-shot-20171113-1.43.01-pm.png  

Last edited by vprabu : 13th November 2017 at 14:11.
vprabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:13   #1054
Senior - BHPian

In this day and age if you'd point out a car a tell me that it will ride trouble free for over 10 years I'll buy it with my eyes closed. Wonder what gives you such confidence in the first place? The only cars that made that mark, as per me, was the good old Maruti with its Zen and the humble 800. Those cars would go on and on. Modern cars are full of tech and they're all a gamble, regardless of make or service back up. Just run through the ownership reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Nexon might be a good car, but I would like a car that is trouble free even after 5-10 years of usage.

Last edited by navin : 13th November 2017 at 17:22.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:19   #1055
BHPian

Hi Bhapians,
I booked a Lightning Blue Diesel Titanium Ecosport on 9th itself.The local dealer told me that by Monday he will confirm the delivery timeline.Today I got a call from the dealership that the company is not confirming when they will be able to deliver the vehicle.They are asking to take back the booking amount.I have been waiting for this car for nearly six months and I intend to keep the car for 8 to 10 years,so don't want to compromise on the colour as well.I would like suggestion what I can do now.I want to buy the car and would be happy if I get the colour of my choice also.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:24   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
In this day and age if you'd point out a car a tell me that it will ride trouble free for over 10 years I'll buy it with my eyes closed. Wonder what gives you such confidence in the first place? The only cars that made that mark, as per me, was the good old Maruti with its Zen and the humble 800. Those cars would go on and on.
You forgot the Hyundai Santro. Ours has been with us since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
However, the SA could not confirm if Google maps would work if I connect my iPhone.
It won’t. Blame Apple.

Quote:
Rear camera quality was not so good. May be it was drizzling and the car was not clean. The marker lines were not adaptive and they remain straight lines only irrespective of steering position.
SVP specifically showed in a video that they were adaptive. I think you are wrong about this one.

Quote:
PS: SA also said the Cruise comes only in the Diesel variant Titatinum +. I think She is not correct.
It is also available on the 1.5L Petrol Titanium+ AT.

Last edited by aryayush : 13th November 2017 at 14:36.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:32   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
You forgot the Hyundai Santro. Ours has been with us since 2001.
Oh no. I had serious problems with 1999 model Santro. When I turn the a/c on the rpm would rise uncontrollably and the service could never fix it. On reliability, I would rate my Innova any day for trouble free ownership and cheap to maintain. Had it for 6 years and very reliable.

Quote:
It won’t. Blame Apple.
Yes. But SA kept saying Google maps are supported :-) I did not carry the cable and hence could not test it. If someone can test it, it would be great.

Quote:
SVP specifically showed in a video that they were adaptive. I think you are wrong about this one.
Hope so :-).

Quote:
It is also available on the 1.5L Petrol Titanium+ AT.
Yes. That is the model I am narrowing down to.

Last edited by vprabu : 13th November 2017 at 14:34.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:38   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmanjeet14 View Post
Hi Bhapians,
I booked a Lightning Blue Diesel Titanium Ecosport on 9th itself.The local dealer told me that by Monday he will confirm the delivery timeline.Today I got a call from the dealership that the company is not confirming when they will be able to deliver the vehicle.They are asking to take back the booking amount.I have been waiting for this car for nearly six months and I intend to keep the car for 8 to 10 years,so don't want to compromise on the colour as well.I would like suggestion what I can do now.I want to buy the car and would be happy if I get the colour of my choice also.
This so weird. The wait time is around 6-8 weeks for Titanium + AT version is what I am told in Chennai.
Old 13th November 2017, 14:58   #1059
BHPian

Whoa! Price does change perceptions
I'd picked my Ecosport Titanium+ diesel an year back (Nov 2016) and; with some generous bargaining; it'd cost 11.15 inclusive of 3rd and 4th year warranty. (Thane registration)
Now I see the price revised to upward of 13 lac for the same. Though the touch-screen is quite welcome, the price-hike has not been commensurate.

One interesting observation I make is that now everyone's comparing it with the Creta/S-Cross and what features Ecosport brings to the table to justify the price hike.
An year back, the comparison was primarily with plain Jane Brezza (no offence owners).
In a way, the price hike has helped Ecosport become more premium. Good for you Ford!

By the way, terrific machine folks.
anurag.somani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:58   #1060
BHPian

If petrol automatic is what I am looking for, there is nothing even remotely close to Ecosport Titanium + in the range, and the range just above it. Ofcourse, if you completely discount all other things like GC, size etc, there is Polo GT TSI, much better than this.

If diesel engine is your look-out (ignoring other things), Nexon is good too, so is Polo GT TDI, WRV is not that bad either. And then we have Ameo Diesel with DSG too.

For safety kits on offer, Ford is the front-runner, with Figo, Aspire as well as Ecosport offering 6 airbags and other safety kits.

If GC is the prime factor, Nexon leads, with all of ecosport, WRV, I20 active etc on the fray.

Pick your choices and the priorities - Ecosport has all bases almost fully covered. Hence the premium is justified. I also feel it to be pricey, but not undeservingly so (like creta).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 15:00   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In this day and age if you'd point out a car a tell me that it will ride trouble free for over 10 years I'll buy it with my eyes closed. Wonder what gives you such confidence in the first place? The only cars that made that mark, as per me, was the good old Maruti with its Zen and the humble 800. Those cars would go on and on. Modern cars are full of tech and they're all a gamble, regardless of make or service back up. Just run through the ownership reviews.
There are quite a lot of cars which are relaible and can run for 10 years without issues(Innova/City/Fiesta/Swift). I had the 800/Omni in the past and they were reliable only in comparison to the Amby/Padmini's. The accelerator cable would go kaput, lights would stop working, rattles galore, brake failures and what not. The current cars are more reliable mechanically but its the electronics that give out.
Old 13th November 2017, 15:09   #1062
BHPian

Pricing at Mumbai dealership. Insurance and Essential kit looks expensive
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-ford.png  

Last edited by damager21 : 13th November 2017 at 15:16.
Old 13th November 2017, 15:16   #1063
BHPian

I am amused seeing people complaining about the price hike of a car whose prices remained same after a comprehensive update. The prices you feel increased are for the trims which didn't exist earlier (i.e there was no AT with those trims).
Old 13th November 2017, 15:18   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Nexon might be a good car, but I would like a car that is trouble free even after 5-10 years of usage.
You should have read the next sentence in my post instead of quoting a part of it.

I didn't mean trouble-free in an absolute sense. Its all relative. Fords are relatively more trouble free compared to Tatas.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2017 at 07:32. Reason: Please use the multi-quote function
Old 13th November 2017, 15:20   #1065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Air Deflectors: ₹3,750
  • Engine Guard: ₹8,200
  • Illuminated Scuff Plates: ₹5,150
  • Mudflap Kit: ₹900
  • Rear Spoiler: ₹5,500
  • Roof Cross Bar: ₹7,100
  • Sun Blinds: ₹3,500
I need advice from you guys. Which accessories do you recommend I remove from my list, and for what reason?
Air Deflectors: ₹3,750 - Cheaper options available outside. OE product will be almost same as the ones you get outside.

Engine Guard: ₹8,200 - Go for it. Highly recommended.

Illuminated Scuff Plates: ₹5,150 - Go for plain scuff plates.

Mudflap Kit: ₹900 - Go for it.

Rear Spoiler: ₹5,500 - The stock rear itself looks like it's got a spoiler. I wouldn't recommend it.

Roof Cross Bar: ₹7,100 - For looks or practicality? It's too small to notice it and again and big one would also look odd. Check the local shops.

Sun Blinds: ₹3,500 - A good sun blind is hard to find outside. Would highly recommend it if it's of good quality. See the fit and finish and whether it stays on.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed