Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 15:51   #1291
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Guys,
Is the new Ford Ecosport AT based on torque converter? Ford's representative informs me that DCT is swapped with brand new 6 speed torque converter based unit . Please see conversation below. It is great news if true!

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-fordrep.jpg

Some news here as well:
http://www.cartoq.com/ford-ecosport-...big-surprises/
Old 27th November 2017, 16:03   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Guys,
Is the new Ford Ecosport AT based on torque converter? Ford's representative informs me that DCT is swapped with brand new 6 speed torque converter based unit . Please see conversation below. It is great news if true!
Yes, this is correct. Ford found the DCT isn't the right choice for our stop-go traffic conditions and hence moved to the more reliable torque converter with this facelift.
fiat_tarun is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 16:48   #1293
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
The competition in my mind between Hexa XMA and Ecosport Ti+ is getting fierce. Earlier in my evaluation Hexa trumped but still there was enough going for Ecosport to still be not dropped out of my list. Safety first! Ecosport wins. Next was about ride comfort and this time around it was Hexa's turn to win.

One another consideration was about the big diesel ban spree and whether Hexa would be a prudent investment. Opposing argument in mind was that anyways when BS VI comes Ecosport also may become obsolete. Then stumbled on this information.
If you have about 12L then the EcoSport would win on Safety and features as the budget would not afford you the highest trim Hexa with 6 Airbags. That said the sheer size and space available on the Hexa is likely to make it safer of the two even with just 2 airbags but there would be insufficient reports to indicate this and it would be a matter of judgement. Just as SUV's trump sedans on safety similarly bigger SUV's trump smaller SUV's on safety.

If you have 18L + then the Hexa would win on all parameters.

I have the Ecosport AT with me right now (the safest version of the EcoSport) and have earlier owned the Aria Pride (the safest version of the Aria / Hexa) and would say without hesitation that the Hexa is the better vehicle if you have the budget for it. The Aria lost out in not having an AT box the EcoSport does have AT.
ACM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 17:37   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That said the sheer size and space available on the Hexa is likely to make it safer of the two even with just 2 airbags but there would be insufficient reports to indicate this and it would be a matter of judgement. Just as SUV's trump sedans on safety similarly bigger SUV's trump smaller SUV's on safety.
Size or type will not decide which car is more safer. A Scorpio with 2 airbags will never be as safe as say a Etios. More the kit, better design, materials used the safer the car becomes. While we don't have safety rating for Hexa, I doubt if a 2 airbag Hexa be any safer than 6 airbag Ecosport. IIRC a 6 airbag Ecosport scored 5 star in NCAP safety ratings.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 19:02   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramitn View Post
Congrats! You won't have to bother about the clutch at all!
Have you opted for any accessories?
When have they given the delivery date of the vehicle?
I have some accessories in my mind but haven't communicated to the SA.
Actually wanted to negotiate and get some discount on them.
I will be getting the vehicle sometime in Feb next year, exact date not yet confirmed by SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
I got my ecosport (T+ Diesel) insurance from HDFC ergo through coverfox in 28,500/- includes
- Zero Dep
- Return of Invoice
- Cost of consumables.
Does it include cashless claim support as well?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th November 2017 at 12:51. Reason: merging posts. Pls. use edit option when replying within 30mins.
Old 27th November 2017, 20:23   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinbindra View Post
Does it include cashless claim support as well?
You can find cashless garages for HDFC ergo in your city here. https://m.hdfcergo.com/nearby-garages
But I wouldn’t be surprised if ford says they are not ford preferred. A small price to pay if you want to get a cheaper quote online. I got HDFC ergo too with unlimited claims in a year, zero dep and owner driver cover for 24,708/- for my titanium plus AT.

Last edited by blurust : 27th November 2017 at 20:26. Reason: Spell check, adding a link
blurust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 21:30   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
I got HDFC ergo too with unlimited claims in a year, zero dep and owner driver cover for 24,708/- for my titanium plus AT.
Yours is cheaper so looks like you did not opt for cover for 'Return of invoice'.
I opted for this after I got suggestion from one of the Team BHP member.
manish_symc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 10:54   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Fuel economy showed a mere 7.5 kmpl.
After 11 days of daily driving, and on my second tank of fuel, I can report fuel average hovering around 11 kmpl. I suspect it will improve in the coming days.

That 11 kmpl was a mix of 80% D mode and 20% S mode with me & my friends really having fun with the the throttle. Plenty of jams too. I would expect the typical city average to move up to 11.5 kmpl to 12 kmpl in coming days.

FYI: I'm driving Titanium+ AT
Vish_Janu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:31   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish_Janu View Post
After 11 days of daily driving, and on my second tank of fuel, I can report fuel average hovering around 11 kmpl. I suspect it will improve in the coming days.

That 11 kmpl was a mix of 80% D mode and 20% S mode with me & my friends really having fun with the the throttle. Plenty of jams too. I would expect the typical city average to move up to 11.5 kmpl to 12 kmpl in coming days.

FYI: I'm driving Titanium+ AT
That is very encouraging Vish_Janu. The same was reported in some media test drive as well. Thanks for keeping us posted.
bijubalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:35   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Size or type will not decide which car is more safer. A Scorpio with 2 airbags will never be as safe as say a Etios. More the kit, better design, materials used the safer the car becomes. While we don't have safety rating for Hexa, I doubt if a 2 airbag Hexa be any safer than 6 airbag Ecosport. IIRC a 6 airbag Ecosport scored 5 star in NCAP safety ratings.
The safety ratings says only a part of the story, as it simulates crashing a car into a mass that's just as heavy as the car. 5 star for Ecosport means a 5 star level safety when the Ecosport hits a car of similar mass. We cant really compare different cars based on NCAP ratings alone.

In real world, the stars ratings are challenged by this thumb rule - bigger, heavier cars are safer than smaller, lighter cars.

I believe that a 2 airbag 1200 kg Ecosport doesn't stand a chance against the 2 airbag 2300 kg Hexa (and I'm assuming the Hexa is built according to modern safety standards) when it comes to passenger safety. Agree that every additional airbag might help in some way or the other in an unfortunate incident- especially in case of a roll-over or side impacts.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 28th November 2017 at 11:39.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:09   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
The safety ratings says only a part of the story, as it simulates crashing a car into a mass that's just as heavy as the car. 5 star for Ecosport means a 5 star level safety when the Ecosport hits a car of similar mass. We cant really compare different cars based on NCAP ratings alone.

In real world, the stars ratings are challenged by this thumb rule - bigger, heavier cars are safer than smaller, lighter cars.

I believe that a 2 airbag 1200 kg Ecosport doesn't stand a chance against the 2 airbag 2300 kg Hexa (and I'm assuming the Hexa is built according to modern safety standards) when it comes to passenger safety. Agree that every additional airbag might help in some way or the other in an unfortunate incident- especially in case of a roll-over or side impacts.
Ecosport might not be as heavy as Hexa, but is smaller,denser, built on more modern platform and a moncoque which comes with more effective crumple zones. It's like comparing 70KG Iron Bar with a 100KG cotton bag and since cotton bag weighs more, it is deemed to be stronger and mostly likely to win the battle when crashed against the Iron Bar.

Real world things may differ but under same conditions if a car performs and scores better than the other, I would go by these results rather than comparing on results based on varied real world conditions.
A Nano can reach faster than a Octavia VRS in Bangalore City traffic, but then we don't call Nano a faster car than VRS,or do we?
Unless Hexa scores better than Ecosport, I would not call it safer.

Last edited by PrideRed : 28th November 2017 at 12:19.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:36   #1302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
5 star for Ecosport means a 5 star level safety when the Ecosport hits a car of similar mass. We cant really compare different cars based on NCAP ratings alone.

OT: It doesn’t work that way IMO – it’s almost like saying an Ecosport’s crashworthiness comes into picture only if it crash with say a Nexon, and its doomed if collide with a XUV or an Innova.

There was an old Topgear episode in which they compared the crashworthiness of some of the cars on sale then – Ford Fiesta, Land Rover, a model from Toyota etc., and in that comparison the Fiesta did better than the mighty Land Rover.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:05   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
It's like comparing 70KG Iron Bar with a 100KG cotton bag and since cotton bag weighs more, it is deemed to be stronger and mostly likely to win the battle when crashed against the Iron Bar.
Unless Hexa scores better than Ecosport, I would not call it safer.

Sorry I don't even understand the point that's being conveyed in your post. The cases in question- Hexa and Ecosport- are both modern cars made from metal, and not a cotton bag and iron bar. The Laws of physics will prevail. Analogies of Nano overtaking a Skoda are best left to non-bhpians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
OT: It doesn’t work that way IMO – it’s almost like saying an Ecosport’s crashworthiness comes into picture only if it crash with say a Nexon, and its doomed if collide with a XUV or an Innova.

NCAP's safety rating are applicable to comparable masses only. Yes, Ecosport vs a Nexon, and not against Innova's and XUV's.

The influence of vehicle size and weight on safety in crashes cannot be undermined- as we can find in any of the whitepapers on auto safety. Here's an example: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/44/4/1

Unless there's credible evidence that objectively says Ecosport is safer than Hexa, I find no reason to call Ecosport safer than Hexa.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 28th November 2017 at 13:07.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 13:33   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I don't even understand the point that's being conveyed in your post. The cases in question- Hexa and Ecosport- are both modern cars made from metal, and not a cotton bag and iron bar. The Laws of physics will prevail. Analogies of Nano overtaking a Skoda are best left to non-bhpians.

Unless there's credible evidence that objectively says Ecosport is safer than Hexa, I find no reason to call Ecosport safer than Hexa.
Exactly what I meant. The Ecosport has proven its safety ratings by scoring 5 stars in NCAP and unless Hexa scores better, I find no reason to believe in the earlier statement which says "1200KG Ecosport stands no chance against 2300Kg Hexa".

If you don't believe/trust in NCAP ratings and feel crashing Ecosport and Hexa head on with a real passengers inside and determine who survived the crash is the right test- its a different topic to discuss. At least BHPians here decide the car to be safer or not based on NCAP ratings.

P.S: If Hexa scores better than Ecosport in NCAP, I have no reason to deny Hexa to be safer than Ecosport.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 14:12   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I meant. The Ecosport has proven its safety ratings by scoring 5 stars in NCAP and unless Hexa scores better, I find no reason to believe in the earlier statement which says "1200KG Ecosport stands no chance against 2300Kg Hexa".

This is going in circles again I believe in the NCAP report that gives 5 stars for Ecosport crashing against another Ecosport or Nexon or a car of similar size.

NCAP doesn't shell out numbers on relative (to a car of totally different size/weight) safety comparisons. That's where the bare basic laws of physics prevails as they themselves says. I feel Hexa is being pictured as a 2 decade old Tata Truck here- the car is indeed modern.

You may want to check out the link that I shared in my earlier post.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 28th November 2017 at 14:19.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed