Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2017, 12:46   #16
BANNED

re: Car rationing? Govt may introduce lottery system for buying petrol-diesel vehicles

Whatever urbanization happens in India, the soul of India still lies in the villages. The govt is acting like we are an ultra-developed country, without knowing the actual facts, but seeing only the goof ups created by some media, close followers and bhakths. We heard a lot about projecting some states as "most developed" just by considering the developments happened in the urban areas, completely avoiding the villages.

Even in 2030, India won't be in a situation which can do such a drastic switch. Even if we use electric power, we consume a lot of fossil fuels to generate it. New nuclear / hydro power plants are to be commissioned. Will these nature lovers do / allow it? Will solar plants be sufficient to generate the required amount? I doubt.

It will become another foolish attempt like demonetization, though a planned one. Who is going to suffer? The common people.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th May 2017 at 12:59.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 12:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Car rationing? Govt may introduce lottery system for buying petrol-diesel vehicles

I strongly feel that a bird in hand is being neglected in the pursuit of two birds in a bush.

Why doesn't the govt. concentrate on waiving taxes on the existing EV's, develop future infrastructure for the same?

Till then the odd-even rule, lottery system etc. will all be passing clouds.

No offence, but by all means I see only the following 2 options for a better future -
1) Afforestation.
2) Curb rapid growth of population.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 13:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
1. Niti Aayog cannot make any laws. It can only suggest or recommend.
a device will neither be a pure battery nor a capacitor.

My humble viewpoints, after reading all the posts in this thread so far...
Central planning worked​ wonders nowhere and having a bunch of experts recommending that the masses get miserable while they get preferred access through quotas suggests that instead of wasting money on these experts, the government should concern itself with more cutting edge stuff - drinking water and sanitation come to mind.

Galileo didn't commit suicide, where did you get that info?

The capability of EVs to revolutionise transport isn't under question but without complementary infrastructure, nothing is going to happen. Charging your electric car in the parking lot of an apartment complex with the risk of vandalism and power theft is one good reason not to buy one.
avira_tk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 13:22   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car rationing? Govt may introduce lottery system for buying petrol-diesel vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
This is NO joke. I would not be surprised if this becomes a reality.
No chance in the near to mid-term future. Remember, the auto industry is a significant contributor to the GDP, investments & employment. Such lotteries are okay for non-manufacturing countries like Singapore, but not for a manufacturing powerhouse like India.

If & when electric / fuel cell / cleaner fuel cars become mass market, are well-priced, usable and have the supporting infrastructure, only then will petrol or diesel cars become a rich man's toy. Until then, nothing is happening. India is still a long, long time away from zero-emission cars becoming everyday vehicles.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 13:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car rationing? Govt may introduce lottery system for buying petrol-diesel vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post

Galileo didn't commit suicide, where did you get that info?
My mistake, mate. What I had in mind was the word "sufferings" and I typed in "suicide".

Ref. the charging of EV etc. please note that the prime advantage of the hybrid power device would be its charging time. A suggested charging time is 2 to 3 minutes for 80%.
sandeepmdas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 14:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have my reservations over the 2030 deadline.

Yesterday, at around 9pm, with just 12 minutes of the wash cycle left, my washing machine stopped working, because there was an unscheduled power cut. I waited in vain till 11pm for the power to be restored. As it happens every time there is a power cut, MESCOM (power supplier) helpline was under repair.

Woke up in the morning, happy to see the power back. Sadly, no sooner did I switch on the machine, it started beeping, indicating voltage error. A lone incandescent bulb that I have specifically kept for instances as these, refused to glow brightly emitting what could hardly be called light. The input light of the stabilizer connected to the refrigerator was on but the output indicator was off, indicating low voltage or single fuse in laymen terms.

I had to manually complete the washing and remove water from the machine.

I live in a district headquarter. If the honourable Government cannot ensure supply of electricity for the proper running of a household appliance at my place, I will be extremely vary of investing my trust in their vision of All Electric Vehicles by 2030. Ergo, come what may, my next car too would run on petrol/diesel.

However, looking at the way things have moved in the last three years, I can hazard a confident guess that some form of the proposed lottery/auction system will soon be implemented, at least on a pilot basis. Strangely, the slogan of Minimum Government, maximum governance keeps ringing in my ears. Wonder why!

Last edited by dailydriver : 15th May 2017 at 14:52.
dailydriver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 15:44   #22
BHPian

The premise behind this recommendation seems to be aimed at accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles while discouraging conventional ones. Restricting the number of vehicles which can be registered is just one of the few ones.

Honestly, the report does not provide any rationale for this recommendation apart from the fact that China has done the same. This is very flimsy reason.

We are past the license raj and in today's world, I don't see a possibility of such archaic systems to exist.

Regarding adoption of EVs, three years ago, no one would buy LED bulbs which everyone was trying to sell so hard. As it stands today, LED bulbs have surpassed CFLs. EVs will also reach a tipping point and things would transform rapidly thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Ergo, come what may, my next car too would run on petrol/diesel.
The intended purpose of vision document is to incentivise EVs and discourage regular vehicles enough so that such opinions can be changed.

Quote:
However, looking at the way things have moved in the last three years, I can hazard a confident guess that some form of the proposed lottery/auction system will soon be implemented, at least on a pilot basis.
This is one of several recommendations and one which has received least focus in the document while maximum in media. There are many well backed recommendations which would, in all probability be taken up before the lottery approach.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 15:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good Idea, my only suggestion is that they should do this to the state owned Transport corporations first. they probably have the most outdated and polluting buses on their roster and if they get phased out with Electric buses, that would be a good beginning. From there, they should build infrastructure to have the public move away from petrol/Diesel cars.

Heck - they can even change their own cavalcade of vehicles to EV's and that would be a good sign to the tax paying public as well.

After they have completed all these, then they can ask me to move to an EV and I will strongly consider it, till then though, I will use my diesel car.
dass is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 22:03   #24
BHPian

Bring me a Tesla or any other EV at INR 8-10 lakhs and a range of 400+ kms with performance on par with at least a Tiago and I will gladly change my car. Until then government can have all the brain farts it can muster but all this will remain strictly a pipe dream.
As for the 'licence permit raj' I am afraid we are moving, albeit slowly, towards a totalitarian form of government where all control shall rest with them. You can very well have an inkling of the same from the recent demonetization fiasco and the ensuing cash crunch in the market.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 23:57   #25
BHPian

Not happening in the near future. Not going to happen in TN for sure. Why? There is a lottery Ban of all kinds for years! What next? Inky pinky ponky at a car dealership?
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 02:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Rationing - of any type, has proven to be ineffective in a democracy in achieving its orginal objective, and more often than not, opens up a channel for illegal availability of the product that was rationed.

While the objective in this case is justified - reduction on fossil fuels > national security > environment > financials, there must be an effective alternate public transport mechanism nation-wide, that incentivizes people to reduce using personal vehicles.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 06:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Good Idea, my only suggestion is that they should do this to the state owned Transport corporations first...

Heck - they can even change their own cavalcade of vehicles to EV's and that would be a good sign to the tax paying public as well.

After they have completed all these, then they can ask me to move to an EV and I will strongly consider it, till then though, I will use my diesel car.
Good news is that the Government seems to be listening.

In line with the three stage action outlined in the report, electric buses, autos and taxis will be dedicated to the nation in Nagpur next week, thereby initiating Stage 1.

Stage 2 will target commercial vehicles and once some headway is made there, Stage 3 involving private vehicles will be taken up.

Link

A very interesting report on the prophesied end of petrol vehicles in the United States can be found here.

It states that we are in the cusp of one of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruptions of transportation in history.

Quote:
No more petrol or diesel cars, buses, or trucks will be sold anywhere in the world within eight years... They will switch en masse to self-drive electric vehicles (EVs) that are 10 times cheaper to run than fossil-based cars, with a near-zero marginal cost of fuel and an expected lifespan of 1m miles.
A few takeaways from the article are these:
  • There will be a "mass stranding of existing vehicles". The value of second-hard cars will plunge. You will have to pay to dispose of your old vehicle.
  • The next generation of cars will be "computers on wheels". Google, Apple, and Foxconn have the disruptive edge, and are going in for the kill. Silicon Valley is where the auto action is, not Detroit, Wolfsburg, or Toyota City.
  • Nasa and Boeing are working on hybrid-electric aircraft for short-haul passenger flights.

Credit to S Bhpian Guna for highlighting the aforementioned article here. (Petrol cars will vanish in 8 years, says US report)
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 07:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

If my Sunday drive was anything to go by, I think this rationing is the way to go, there's way too much population and very few decent roads to ply one's vehicles. I was stuck in an 'inextricable' traffic jam on the Marina Beach Road and what was intended to be a drive to the beach and back was many close calls of near contact with my fellow road users. I saw many sights of 4 persons per two wheeler all doing a balanced act of life or death and all coming very close to my car. India hasn't had it so good and it shows on the roads. We have become a suicidal lot and it reflects on the accident rate, especially in my state TN.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 12:00   #29
BHPian

We have signed a pact along with other international countries that we would reduce emission by 2030. So as a country we have to show some progress or the efforts made towards the same. This proposal is in that direction . As a country we accepted demonetization (whether it is successful or not is a different topic). So as a country we would accept the rationing as well (meaning we would just complain but not put a real fight but accept).
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 12:45   #30
BHPian

Dangerously bordering the OT!

Am I the one seeing a pattern in this regime that see lot of half baked ideas coming out?! Is it the best to curb pollution? I wish there were better brains with that consultant.

Just a quick thought, if at all the government had recruited a Japanese consultancy instead of US, the report will be same? Being a Japanese head heavy Auto market in India, what a Japanese consultant might have prescribed? Not but least, do we need a overseas consultant to look at this India specific issue? Looks like a eyewash to me.

Also, as someone pointed, there is not much focus on food, clean water, infrastructure, health and education. Changing upside down things is not what a common man looking for (like the CBSE etc). What this Saach did bring for example. Develop and innovate in Infrastructure like China does. Automobile is not luxury. It is so critical it impacts everyone's life in India. Improve it and make it better rather than going back 50 years!
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks