Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 10:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo Cars to start local assembly in India

:happydance: I am totally smitten by the XC60. At some point in my life, with a reduced price, I maybe able to afford one. I just hope they don't dilute the quality of the product when it's built here.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 21:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Reliable sources confirm all parts in CKD kits arrives for XC 90.

The first locally built XC 90 rolls out of the assembly line.
Any updates on this?
People are talking about year end. If the first one is already out, will testing take that long?

Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 12:30   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

All our cars to have hybrid powertrain in India - MD - Volvo Auto India

Quote:
Ready to begin local assembly by the end of the year, Volvo Auto India is not just looking at expanding its product portfolio but offering products which are at par with those in western countries looking to reduce carbon footprint
Differences between EU cars and VOLVO India cars :

Quote:
We are basically selling the same cars across the globe and I think that is going to stay that way. So the same safety norms, environmental friendliness norms, design features remain constant everywhere - including India. Of course you have local demands on what people want to have in their cars - you don't need heated seats in south India whereas you need that in southern Europe. But when it comes to other features, we definitely want to bring everything.

Quote:
If there is any price update, we would obviously pass on the benefit to our customers
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th June 2017 at 12:31.
Old 30th July 2017, 11:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget Tesla for now, Volvo EV's could launch in India earlier ,

Quote:
Europe is not growing. China is our biggest market where we sold 1,00,000 cars in 2016. India is where China was in 2000. Nothing can stop the India market from growing
Volvo Cars to start local assembly in India-1.jpg

link
Old 30th July 2017, 11:43   #20
BHPian

That's great news. If I am not mistaken, Volvo is owned by a Chinese investment firm now. Or perhaps it was Saab. If prices are competitive, I'd really look forward to acquiring a loaded V40 - such an ideal-sized car for urban India.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
That's great news. If I am not mistaken, Volvo is owned by a Chinese investment firm now. Or perhaps it was Saab. If prices are competitive, I'd really look forward to acquiring a loaded V40 - such an ideal-sized car for urban India.
Volvo is owned by Geely, a Chinese car company.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo Cars rolls out first locally-assembled XC90 today. Apart from the XC90 more models on the SPA architecture are slated for local assembly and an announcement on the same will happen at a later stage.

Volvo Cars to start local assembly in India-61018159.jpg

Quote:
Volvo Cars is working together with the Volvo Group India - the truck, bus, construction equipment and Penta engines manufacturer – for its assembly operations and is making use of Volvo Group India’s existing infrastructure and production licenses near Bengaluru.
One of the Proto-unit ( confidential- source)

Volvo Cars to start local assembly in India-image00001.jpg

Link

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2017 at 16:46. Reason: As requested :)
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 19:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo to assemble the XC60 at its Bangalore manufacturing facility.

The car is slated for a December 2017 launch.

Quote:
At launch, the new XC60 in India will get only one engine option - the 235hp, 2.0-litre D5 diesel unit that also powers the larger XC90 SUV – mated to an eight-speed automatic gearbox with all-wheel drive as standard
Quote:
In terms of equipment, the XC60 Inscription gets goodies including air suspension, a Bowers & Wilkins audio system, Nappa leather upholstery, heads-up display and large 19-inch alloy wheels. A big highlight will be that Volvo will offer a range of radar-based safety systems on the XC60, which would make it the second Volvo in India to get these systems after the XC90 Excellence.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th November 2017 at 19:24.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 20:58   #24
Team-BHP Support

20 Volvo XC 60's have been imported, as per Zauba, both in D4 and D5 engine variants

Last edited by ajmat : 8th November 2017 at 22:46.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 22:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
A big highlight will be that Volvo will offer a range of radar-based safety systems on the XC60, which would make it the second Volvo in India to get these systems after the XC90 Excellence.
This is not true. It's active in my XC90 R Design from factory and can be activated on all new generation XC90's but apparently it costs 1.7L.

I have extensively tested it and works like charm. My review is pending since long. I am unable to find to click pictures and do a video of the radar system.

Last edited by mjumrani : 8th November 2017 at 22:04. Reason: More information
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 22:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volvo to assemble the XC60 at its Bangalore manufacturing facility.

The car is slated for a December 2017 launch.
Now that is some good news . Pass on the tax benefits to the customers . Next step is to increase the number of dealerships to all Tier 2 cities. Compared to big 3 Germans, Volvo doesn't have any horror stories in India as of now. The only problem is lack of dealerships and ASS.
Old 9th November 2017, 00:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Now that is some good news . Pass on the tax benefits to the customers .
Not going to happen and Volvo has already given a statement. Volvo has been making loss by getting cars via CBU, to my knowledge they were making under 6L for every XC90 sold via CBU route. The pricing of XC90 was / is spot on compared to other CBU's.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 08:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
This is not true. It's active in my XC90 R Design from factory and can be activated on all new generation XC90's but apparently it costs 1.7L.

I have extensively tested it and works like charm. My review is pending since long. I am unable to find to click pictures and do a video of the radar system.
Extremely interested in seeing how these systems work in the Indian context. Waiting for your review.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:34   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post

I beg to differ. I test drove the XC90 last week and tried the radar system and almost crashed once. The automonous steering system relies heavily on the white seperater line on the road, which in india are never maintained. The auto braking feature is good but i yet wouldn’t trust it fully, it’s good to have it as a secondary aid but i don’t think the system has that capability, either you give the car complete control to accelerate and brake or nothing.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I beg to differ. I test drove the XC90 last week and tried the radar system and almost crashed once. The automonous steering system relies heavily on the white seperater line on the road, which in india are never maintained. The auto braking feature is good but i yet wouldn’t trust it fully, it’s good to have it as a secondary aid but i don’t think the system has that capability, either you give the car complete control to accelerate and brake or nothing.
It works perfectly well on highways where the lane lines are marked. Within the city, depending on the state of the road, it may or may not work.

All autonomous systems work based on assumptions about the road and environment. If those don't hold true, they will fail. Nothing new in that. That's why this is a level 2 where active driver involvement is still required.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 9th November 2017 at 09:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks