Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 11:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra to invest in high-range electric powertrains

Mahindra and Mahindra is planning to invest heavily in high-range electric powertrains. This is a part of the Indian automaker's expansion plans in the electric mobility domain. The said information was revealed through a BSE filing by the company.

The manufacturer will be electrifying some of its existing products that currently run on fossil fuels. Moreover, the company will be investing in developing electric powertrains that can offer a travel range of around 300 km on a single charge. The existing range of electric vehicles under Mahindra's portfolio have a range of around 100 km.

Mahindra Electric, which is Mahindra's dedicated electric mobility arm, is also working on expanding its monthly production capacity from 400 units to 5,000 units, over a period of two years. This expansion will be a part of the company's plans to be ready for a surge in demand for electric cars in the country.

Mahindra's expansion plans in the EV domain come at a time when the Central Government is working towards increasing the share of electric vehicles on Indian roads. The Government has already indicated its aim to have a fully electric car fleet in the country by 2030. Being the only home grown automaker in the EV market, Mahindra seems to be betting big on this upcoming market transition from fossil fuel to electric mobility.

Source: ET

Last edited by dZired : 24th May 2017 at 11:48.
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra to invest in high-range electric powertrains

Good decision by Mahindra finally. They need to make the EVs that look like regular cars not as REVAs.

Tatas own company Jaguar already bringing in I-PACE with more than 200 miles range some time next year. They can use those drivetrains and batteries in some of the Tata models as and when they want. But Mahindra does not have that luxury currently. So its good that they are proactive to some extent in this case.
sri_tesla is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 18:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra evaluating an all-electric XUV Aero

Mahindra is reportedly evaluating the viability of launching an all-electric XUV Aero in the Indian market. This information was revealed by Mr. Pawan Goenka, Chairman of the company's electric arm - Mahindra Electric, while revealing the company's future plans in the field of electric mobility. The XUV Aero concept, which was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo, is essentially a coupe-like iteration of the regular model.

Mahindra had recently announced that it will be investing heavily in high-range electric powertrains. This is part of the company's attempts to be ready for a surge in demand of electric vehicles in India. The automaker will be developing electric powertrains with a travel range of around 300 km. If the XUV Aero does enter production, it is likely to get this high range powering setup, which might also be tuned to deliver higher performance figures. Mahindra is targeting an overall system output of around 200 BHP and a 0-60 km/h time of 4-5 seconds.

While talking to the media, Mr. Pawan Goenka mentioned that the automaker is planning to place the all-electric XUV Aero as a high-end electric vehicle. However, it has a few more options that can be introduced in this segment, including an all-new product developed with Pininfarina. The final decision on whether or not the XUV Aero electric enters production will depend on the price of the high-range electric powertrain.

Source: Autocar India
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:33   #4
BHPian

Why a coupe? Why not an electric car that just looks, feels and serves as a normal car? I think they should focus on developing a electric car that can replace the normal petrol/diesel cars of today.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:40   #5
BHPian

Why coupe? Just to make it ugly. That's one of the filters Mahindra designs have to pass through before getting approved for production. If it aint' ugly, they aren't making it. KUV, TUV, Quanto, Xyo.. they all passed with flying colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Why a coupe? Why not an electric car that just looks, feels and serves as a normal car? I think they should focus on developing a electric car that can replace the normal petrol/diesel cars of today.
sreeharipv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:44   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Mahindra and Mahindra is planning to invest heavily in high-range electric powertrains.
That's a great step. Given their experience and engineering knowhow on the Electric cars already, they are the perfect indian manufacturers suited to making practical cars. Tesla is a still far from coming to india and their idea of affordable is 20 lacs. A practical EV( Say a swift sized hatch) with about 200 kms range under 10 lacs would be game changer and I suppose the govt. incentives are needed to promote these further
Quote:
A coupe because that will turn heads, just the electric powertrain may not be a differentiator enough for people to go that route. But a head turning design can do a lot in making the car popular with people,its pretty clever of Mahindra to do it if they actually are.
Old 30th May 2017, 14:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
A coupe because that will turn heads, just the electric powertrain may not be a differentiator enough for people to go that route. But a head turning design can do a lot in making the car popular with people,its pretty clever of Mahindra to do it if they actually are.
Well, I think a head turner will be only that. People will turn heads and see it pass by. But when it comes to putting their money on it, they will turn their head the other way.

What we need are electric cars that people will adopt and buy when it is their turn to spend the money. Something like a Model 3, Leaf, Volt etc. Not another E2O.
Old 30th May 2017, 15:00   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Well, I think a head turner will be only that. People will turn heads and see it pass by. But when it comes to putting their money on it, they will turn their head the other way.

What we need are electric cars that people will adopt and buy when it is their turn to spend the money. Something like a Model 3, Leaf, Volt etc. Not another E2O.
A coupe will not be that bad. Most XUV owners don't use their third row anyway and with the batteries there's a high chance that the boot floor would be so high that the 3rd row won't be usable even if its the regular XUV shape, so the coupe XUV shape could make sense in such a case.
Old 2nd June 2017, 23:55   #9
BHPian

I believe M&M investing in high range electric powertrains is step in the right direction. I also think Indian Govt's decision to have all electric vehicles by 2030 is way too ambitious and impractical. Nothing like it if they succeed but the ground reality says something else, with ever changing political scenario I am not very optimistic.
I agree with gentleman's comment above on how quirky these KUV, Xylo look.There is scope for improvement but which car is perfect?? In my family we have owned and still own fleet of M&M products from tractors to Camper pick-up truck(1.5Lakh on odo and still going strong, a real workhorse), from Scorpio to XUV 500. When we took our brand new XUV home, it looked like M&M automobile plants doesn't have QC department. Fit and finish of XUV's interior is below average for a 18L SUV. But I am extremely hopeful on there new electric powertrain plans. They have been steadily investing towards this after acquiring Reva. If and when these cars become norm here Mahindra will have a first mover advantage.
I have expressed my admiration towards this home grown company and to it's ambitious chairman Mr Anand Mahindra at many threads in this very forum. I don't want to give up on this desi company, not yet!!

Here is the latest example, after Trump pulled out of Paris Climate Agreement today Elon Musk announced his decision to depart from Presidential councils and he later commented on India's decision to sell only electric cars by 2030.

Mahindra to invest in high-range electric powertrains-1.png

Mr Mahindra tweeted inviting Elon/Tesla to India and look at the follow up reply to a fellow Indian;

Mahindra to invest in high-range electric powertrains-2.png
Mahindra to invest in high-range electric powertrains-4.png

Now that's what l call the right attitude, way to go Sir

Source: Twitter

Last edited by BlueEyes : 3rd June 2017 at 00:18.
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:59   #10
BHPian

Er.. that's a weird thing for him to say. The 'bro' never mentioned anything about Elon/Tesla not being Indian, or Anand Mahindra being Indian for their capabilities. That's was quite unimaginative, defensively proclaiming his Indian-ness like that.

Mahindra doesn't make appealing and glamorous cars compared to other Indian manufacturers too.
ach1lles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 12:57   #11
BHPian

Just came across this, at a time when governments are reducing the speed of the vehicles .

moderator please merge with relevant thread if found inappropriate

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/...w/61949238.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks