Team-BHP - Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/187312-mahindra-scorpio-facelift-spotted-testing-edit-launched-rs-9-97-lakhs-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4208400)
I see a lot of folks cribbing about M&M keeping the lights on for Scorpio. I also see a lot of folks cribbing how Toyota increases the prices, almost by 40-50% in a matter of 5-6 years.
Credit where its due, at least M&M is trying to make it modern, keep it relevant. Look at what Force motors expects 12 lakhs for. :)
Remember, these are for profit organisations. Unless people vote it out of favor by not buying, or the Govt. mandates some tests it can't pass, it will stay. We might not like it, but nothing much we can do about it. Or maybe, we can educate and convince our near and dear ones to abandon/ignore it for a safer, better car, if they come for advice.
Look at the Bolero, it is much much older than the Scorpio and is still getting updates. And continues to sell in high numbers.

No,no, Dry Ice, the Scorpio fan club is still alive & kicking. Its just that we haven't seen a worthwhile contender in the segment yet! And as for the safety aspects, after reading about the number of accidents in which air-bags did not inflate & resulted in casualties for the occupants - my enthusiasm for this device is much reduced. It is a similar situation to the hydro-statically inflated life-rafts - which refuse to inflate when actually needed! Presenting videos of NCAP test examples of inflating air-bags during crash tests is certainly very comforting for the viewing public - but their deployment statistics during actual accidents is something which needs to be looked at long & hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashanka (Post 4209439)
.......It is a similar situation to the hydro-statically inflated life-rafts........

The above post needs to be corrected as follows: "...It is a similar situation to the hydrostatic pressure triggered, automatically inflated life-rafts....". Mods, the error is regretted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4208734)
I have the W105, that is the new gen Scorpio S10 4X4 as my daily drive. Have managed 44,5xx kms as of now. While, I would love to get a Jap SUV as my next upgrade, here is what I want for the upcoming Scorpio.

# Interiors, the door insides, plastic quality is horrible and simply can't justify a car having 17L price tag.

# Storage space. Simply inadequate.

# Better space management.

Mahindra needs to see Storme's interiors, brakes and space and then decide its update.

Ownership of the Scorpio has been flawless with typical Mahindra quirks because of less stringent QC.

Cannot agree more! Mahindra can even learn from itself. TUV and KUV have much better interior and space and storage management despite being significantly smaller than Scorpio.

Something is definitely brewing here, Mahindra have taken away the AT Scorpio from their price list in both the 2WD and the 4WD versions.

http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahin....aspx?id=price

If they manage to plonk the Aisin GB they use in the XUV on the face lifted Scorpio, it will take it to new heights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4210121)
Something is definitely brewing here, Mahindra have taken away the AT Scorpio from their price list in both the 2WD and the 4WD versions.

http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahin....aspx?id=price

If they manage to plonk the Aisin GB they use in the XUV on the face lifted Scorpio, it will take it to new heights.

Maybe related to price hike/lowering? The facelift is atleast an year away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timuseravan (Post 4210168)
Maybe related to price hike/lowering? The facelift is atleast an year away.

Then the prices of all the variants should have been removed. Why only the AT variants?

Facelifts, once seen on public roads are not that far away from the launch. If I were M&M, I'd target the pre-festive season this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4209063)
Any vehicle going under a bus, truck or a culvert stand no chance if the speeds are high. We have seen cases where even occupants of a mighty S class failed to survive an incident like that.

True. My point is because of the height of the Scorpio the number of vehicles it can go under is lesser than say a low slung hatch like a polo which would even go under a Tata 407.

Quote:

I am afraid that's not how it works. A Formula 1 car is one of the safest things to have an accident in. And the speeds and G forces generated in the crash is much higher. But it weighs just around 700 Kg. Crash worthiness of a vehicle and its capability to protect the occupants is based on its engineering and build - crumble zones, strength of its structure etc.

I think I get where you are going with this. A 4 star rated (safety wise) Scorpio maybe better off than a 4 star rated Polo out on the roads. But in the current state, I would much rather be in a Polo compared to that tin foil 0 star Scorpio. Mahindra ought to work on it big time!

I think you misunderstood what i am saying. Let us consider an ant A sitting on a cricket ball and an ant B sitting on cricket bat. When a batsmen hits the ball with bat the ant A will experience a far bigger shock (rate of change of momentum) than ant B. You may want to read up on elastic/inelastic collision theory to get a better idea. So when two objects collide the object with the lower mass always get a bigger shock. When you are colliding with a fixed object like they do in crash tests this does not matter and the higher rated car will be safer.

Spotted the Scorpio FL test mule today in Chennai. The tail lamps also were specifically camouflaged.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-img_5857.jpg

Quote:

Any vehicle going under a bus, truck or a culvert stand no chance if the speeds are high. We have seen cases where even occupants of a mighty S class failed to survive an incident like that.

I am afraid that's not how it works. A Formula 1 car is one of the safest things to have an accident in. And the speeds and G forces generated in the crash is much higher. But it weighs just around 700 Kg. Crash worthiness of a vehicle and its capability to protect the occupants is based on its engineering and build - crumble zones, strength of its structure etc.

I think I get where you are going with this. A 4 star rated (safety wise) Scorpio maybe better off than a 4 star rated Polo out on the roads. But in the current state, I would much rather be in a Polo compared to that tin foil 0 star Scorpio. Mahindra ought to work on it big time!

Right on, deetjohn, I'm with you 100%! Unless M&M establish the safety bonafides of the much-loved Scorpio, they will start losing the massive goodwill of this model - in today's world, the G-NCAP ratings of any car carries large weight in the public consciousness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4208261)
It was appalling to see the Mahindra fold up like a Kwid in the NCAP testing.

So, hopefully Mahindra will spend some money on safety over the razzmatazz with new tooth, lights and chrome in the new version.

Quote:

A 4 star rated (safety wise) Scorpio maybe better off than a 4 star rated Polo out on the roads. But in the current state, I would much rather be in a Polo compared to that tin foil 0 star Scorpio. Mahindra ought to work on it big time!

Completely agree with you.

Ideally, they should have done it, the way Renault did. Mahindra should have made changes and send it for the crash test again.

Unfortunate, that they chose to hide behind the existing archaic crash safety norms of our country. Many others did too.

Maybe, at the launch of this facelift, the first thing they should talk about, the strengthened shell or the steps taken to make the Scorpio safer.

The Scorpio facelift has been snapped in Chennai with it's exposed "new" rear look (new tail lamp sections, revamped rear bumper) by a Motor Vikatan spy.

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-1ef68e72982948888d9a3a03cb12ab09_18045.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-3db6ae8d7f8c4247a231c9e288b99a6e_18254.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-e26422d516644dd3bb63312a5d87ce72_18170.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-b30b645bbf554181a200fb74e868b02c_18351.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4208016)
I once told the Mahindra management that they need an all-new Scorpio. Pat came the cheeky reply "It's already here - we call it the XUV500" rl:!

Seriously, the Scorpio feels darn outdated and it is so cramped for an SUV as big on the outside. But well, Mahindra is doing an 'Alto' here. It's a consistent 4,000 units / month seller which is no small feat considering its age and 10 - 15 lakh price. The Scorpio has an enormous following & Mahindra is only milking it till it lasts.

Truly. Give the TUV300 the 2.2L diesel and it'll murder the Scorpio.

The 2014 Scorpio update brought with it an all-new chassis under the same old body:

I like the front end of the new Scorpio, but that's about it. The rear is g-a-r-i-s-h.

Whatever said and done I am still happy (despite the 1st years pain) after 8.5 years with the Scorpio. After looking at the market for the replacement with name likes Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Tuscon (grossly overpriced), XUV500 (too jazzy), Hexa (more like Innova), TUV300 (small), Thar (too basic), I am back to waiting for the RENEWED Scorpio :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_upreti (Post 4233943)
Whatever said and done I am still happy (despite the 1st years pain) after 8.5 years with the Scorpio. After looking at the market for the replacement with name likes Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Tuscon (grossly overpriced), XUV500 (too jazzy), Hexa (more like Innova), TUV300 (small), Thar (too basic), I am back to waiting for the RENEWED Scorpio :Frustrati

I fully agree with you. It's peerless. You have either SUVs above it or SUVs below it but nothing quite like it in the same price bracket. Although I have been waiting very eagerly for Tata Nexon, I would also like to check out new Scorpio. And if it comes with Aisin AT box and price doesn't go up considerably, then I will have a tough time deciding between the two.

Scorpio's shape is just right for me. Not too boxy like Bolero/TUV300 or too curvy like XUV500. It's actually a bit of both. Well, more boxy with just slight curves here and there. Beauty of ladder on frame SUVs is, you can customise by adding lift-kit and big-wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 4207745)
.....Compared to its chief competitor the Storme 400, Scorpio feels weak, we experienced this firsthand last weekend while off roading, there was a long sandy climb, Storme was able to drive uphill comfortably in 3rd Low with some grunt to spare.....

And this is what I find baffling. Despite the genuine appreciation that the Storme 400 has acquired from enthusiasts across the board, why are the sales figures so dismal? This I feel is the reason why M&M has gotten away with the Scorpio without any major upgrades since the last one in 2014. If it had faced heat in the market-place from the Storme 400, the picture would have been different.

Pricing for the new Gen Getaway seem to be up on the Scorpio website. It is priced the same as the older Getaway. Is the launch around the corner?

Mahindra Scorpio facelift spotted testing. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.97 lakhs-scorpio-prices.png